Download transfer error

This is where all the old Lemma Soft-specific posts are (i.e. Tales of Lemma 1, Shoujo Attack!, and some Hanafuda Club). They are here for old times sake ^^
musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

Download transfer error

#1 Post by musical74 »

Off and on I have been having a problem DL things...when I first downloaded TOL1 it quit early - about half of what it should have. I waited a day and then it transferred OK. The same thing has occured with other games that I have DL from the forums - Kasuka, Untouched, KAORI - it seems to have connection issues during the transfer. Assuming it is on my end - since it happens so much I don't think it is a webserver issue - how can I fix this so I don't have to keep redownloading the same thing over? I have a dialup modem - can't afford anything else - does that make a difference to the connection between my modem and the site?

Hope someone can help with this mostly-harmless-but-EXTREMELY-annoying problem!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Tage
Regular

#2 Post by Tage »

My first suggestion is to get a download manager. A program that allows you to pause downloads and stuff. They usually don't bug out in the middle of download. However, sometimes you are unable to use a such program when downloading files. For those certain files, if they bug on you...you need to clear the temporary cache of the file by either doing it manually(?) or clearing everything in the temporary internet cache. The cache stores downloaded files on your computer. That way, if you redownload it soon thereafter, it does not have to redownload it from the internet; it just takes it from your computer's temporary internet cache. Now, it may be storing the bugged file on your computer and, therefore, only giving you the same broken file. So, delete it and then you should be able to attempt the download again. I don't know why this happens, but I'm sure there's some answer out on the web. Another possibility is to download another web browser (such as Mozilla FireFox). You may have better luck with something other than Internet Explorer...

Grey
Veteran

#3 Post by Grey »

lol, I'd advise downloading Firefox, just because it's so much better than IE :rolleyes: But as Tage said getting a download manager like GetRight or something would be a good idea, since you're on dial-up.

BlackSpider
Regular

#4 Post by BlackSpider »

This is free for non-commercial use:
http://www.metaproducts.com/mp/mpProduc ... .asp?id=18

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#5 Post by Sai »

I've always used Flashget personally http://www.flashget.com
That's my reccomendation, so now you can take your pick =)

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

Thank you!!

#6 Post by musical74 »

I got a download manager - so far works well :) One question though...if I am DL something with the manager and I get booted offline, will I still be able to continue the DL from wherever it was when I got booted? I know this sounds kind of newbieish, but I want to make sure :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Tage
Regular

#7 Post by Tage »

Yep, you should be able to. Most download managers should do that.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#8 Post by Sai »

Yeah. Not only when you're booted either. You can also pause downloads whenever you like and then resume when you want. As well as change properties, re-order and so on.

kokoro nut

#9 Post by kokoro nut »

I use leechget for ALL of my downloads.

Go ahead and take a look for yourself.

http://www.leechget.net/ :D