Summer Special! [Otome] [NaNo16] DEMO OUT

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Kingv
Veteran
Projects: Pet Tails, Transformation Sequence, Cheer On!
Tumblr: EphemeralBalance
Deviantart: kingv

Re: Summer Special! [Otome] [NaNo16]

#16 Post by Kingv »

This years' NaNo is fast coming to a close but we're still working hard on getting the game completed and ready for everyone.

I'm happy to say that we found another programmer, Marionette, to help so that's a huge weight off of everyone's' shoulders. The GUI has pretty much been coded in and now I'm working on typing out the different expression variations each sprite will need so that they can set up in game.

Speaking of sprites the last potential love interest is done! His name is Rafael and although he's a bonus character he does appear in the other guys' routes. I put his picture in the main post and I'll update it with his bio as soon as I can.
rafael.png
I managed to finish the last backgrounds on my list, Cereza's grandmas house and the rooftop of the store. Now I'm just waiting on the BG artist to do the remaining three and all those will be complete. Jun Jies' intro CG was finished as well but I won't show it here to prevent spoilers. ^^
grandmaHouse.jpg
rooftop.jpg

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#17 Post by Laniessa »

1.What do you think of the premises of the story?
YES VERY GOOD. It sounds very breezy and fun, and matches the visual style of the game a lot!

2.Are there any characters that stand out to you so far? If so, why? (Could be design, personality or anything else.)
Everyone! I'm impartial to Jun Jie though, because I like silly people >w< Kameron sounds super cute too, and Tereza's attitude is something I'm excited to see!

3.What type of events would you be interested in seeing in the game?
I... don't really have much to say to this, ahah.

I'm really digging the visual style already! You definitely have that bubbly retro look down, and I am really excited for it! Your GUI is lovely is always <3

Kingv
Veteran

#18 Post by Kingv »

Laniessa wrote:1.What do you think of the premises of the story?
YES VERY GOOD. It sounds very breezy and fun, and matches the visual style of the game a lot!

2.Are there any characters that stand out to you so far? If so, why? (Could be design, personality or anything else.)
Everyone! I'm impartial to Jun Jie though, because I like silly people >w< Kameron sounds super cute too, and Tereza's attitude is something I'm excited to see!

3.What type of events would you be interested in seeing in the game?
I... don't really have much to say to this, ahah.

I'm really digging the visual style already! You definitely have that bubbly retro look down, and I am really excited for it! Your GUI is lovely is always <3
1. Thanks so much! It's a pretty simple, light-hearted story. ^^
2. Glad to hear you like something about everyone.
3. That's fine lol.

Aww, I appreciate you saying that! I struggled a bit on the GUI design trying to come up with something that didn't clash with the other art and fit the theme but the end result is better than expected.

Looks like there's just one more week left for NaNo. Not quite sure if we'll be able to make the April 1st deadline but regardless we'll keep pushing til the end.
I just got a background from Lareon of the area behind the store which you can see below. I ended up adding a bunch of clutter to her original design but wanted to show you guys the before and after pictures.
storeBack2.jpg
All of Jun Jies' chibi scenes are now done. There's one more left that's for Kameron but I haven't quite figured out which scene I'll do for him yet since I'm waiting on the script. As far as CGs go the next two scenes for both guys has been sketched out and I'll probably start on their last two later tonight. To save time I'm going to go with minimum effort for the main CG backgrounds so expect them to be fairly simple, or use blurred background images like the one below.
cgSample.jpg
Same for the chibi CGs.
chibiEat.jpg

Kingv
Veteran

#19 Post by Kingv »

Code: Select all

The game contains 341 dialogue blocks, containing 4,187 words and 21,682
characters, for an average of 12.3 words and 64 characters per block.

The game contains 1 menus, 79 images, and 16 screens.
This is taken from the test build which includes the first two days in game, minus any choices, so expect the word count and menu number to be higher next time! I spent the weekend plugging the sprites and CGs in game after Marionette so kindly got all the technical coding out of the way. There's still things that need adding but it's definitely playable.

Here's a preview of the stores' breakroom. Just two more to go until they're all done!
breakroom.jpg
All the sprites have been cleaned up and sent off to the programmer. It's embarrassing it took so long for me to knock them out but I'm glad they're out of the way. Here's a look at a few of the guys different expressions. In all there are at least 15 different ones for each of the four main characters and maybe five for the four NPCs.
jFaces.jpg
kFaces.jpg
rFaces.jpg
Now that all the guys are done here's a side by side height comparison. Why are they shirtless? Well I put so much care into shading their torso just right it would be a shame not to share. Plus they all stay clothed in game so this is the only time you'll be able to see them this way. So enjoy~
guys.jpg
Next week I'll focus on inking/coloring the next two CGs for Jun Jie and Kameron. Not sure if I'll get around to making any of the ending GCs but I'll do what I can while I wait for the scripts to come in.

Kingv
Veteran

#20 Post by Kingv »

The game contains 750 dialogue blocks, containing 10,768 words and 55,929
characters, for an average of 14.4 words and 75 characters per block.

The game contains 8 menus, 139 images, and 16 screens.
Hi guy! We might have missed the NaNo deadline but work is still ongoing! The team is/was fairly busy with exams and such, so progress has been slow.

As of now all the art is done, except for ending CGs. The base programming has also been complete and implemented in the game. As far as writing goes it's still currently stuck at Day 2 out of the seven as far as I know, but I'll update that as soon as I hear from the writer.

Right now I'm plugging in sprites, adding in different choices and filling in gaps within the writing to at least get a demo out, which will be until mid way through Day 3. Only place where there would be gaps in writing would be the daily activity choices. Some of the options have been written out but a few just have sentence long descriptors in place until the writer gets around to them. BAsed on all that, does that sound like it would be enough content for a demo?

Here's a few screenshots from the in-game build.
screenshot0027.png
screenshot0028.png
screenshot0002.png
screenshot0005.png
Attachments
screenshot0029.png

KissOfDeath
Regular
Projects: Ikofá (In Development)

#21 Post by KissOfDeath »

Is this game still alive/in devel?? I've always loved your art style and have played Lunar Lotus Festival many times, so I've been looking forward to this demo/game~! <3
"Build your own pyramids, write your own hieroglyphs." -Kendrick Lamar
-KissOfDeath

Completed:
RE:Set Episode(s) 1 and 2 (Proofreader)
*A Troll's Fairy Tale* http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=20160 (Proofreader)

Kingv
Veteran

#22 Post by Kingv »

KissOfDeath wrote:Is this game still alive/in devel?? I've always loved your art style and have played Lunar Lotus Festival many times, so I've been looking forward to this demo/game~! <3
It's still in production. I've gotten the writing for the demo done but am still adding in the sprites. Once that's finished I'll be able to release the demo.

And thanks, glad you're a fan of my art!

Kingv
Veteran

#23 Post by Kingv »

The demo is now finished! You can download it over at https://kingv.itch.io/summer-special. This demo isn't exactly polished but it gives you a pretty good idea of where the game is headed. None of the dialog has been proofread so please forgive any errors. I was a bit overwhelmed trying to fill in gaps in the script.

The demo consists on the first three days of the game. Most of the Daily Activities you can choose to do aren't complete so if you get a short description of a to-be added scene don't worry. It's just a place holder until that section can be written out. Please let me know if you run into any game ending errors!

The game contains 923 dialogue blocks, containing 13,803 words and 71,728
characters, for an average of 15.0 words and 78 characters per block.

The game contains 9 menus, 141 images, and 16 screens.

Unicorn_Magic
Regular

Re: Summer Special! [Otome] [NaNo16] DEMO OUT

#24 Post by Unicorn_Magic »

Hiya! I just downloaded the demo for this awesome game! I'm sure it's gonna be great, thanks for your hard-work! I absolutely love the "bubblegum-pop" feeling I get from this game haha
Also, I was wondering how the progress was going, and if you have a tentative release date? And Happy New Years :D