Esc. [2012]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Ginger
Regular

Esc. [2012]

#1 Post by Ginger »

Ohgawd I promised myself I wouldn't try and do this... I really did...

[Synopsis]
Harriet Stellavato left her small town to get away from the constricting rules placed around. It's been three years since then with no contact with her past, and her life has been unproductive while she works as a freelance programmer. Still, she's happier than she's ever been. But when she receives an email, she's thrust back into her past she tried to outrun. Her childhood friend Cassidy Kincaid had killed herself.

And so Harriet travels back to the town that desperately tried to control everything about her. Neither her family nor old friends welcome her back with open arms, and Harriet is left to wonder what life really means in a world where no one can accept each other.

[Characters]

Harriet Stellavato
Since a young age she's enjoyed tinkering around with electronics. The town where she's from though highly frowns upon the modern world, believing more in tradition. Emancipated just days after her sixteenth birthday, it's been three years since then, and she has yet to feel the desire to go back to the hell hole she was raised in.

Linda Stellavato
Forever a bitter bride, she believes in the traditions that have been with her family for hundred of years. She's known for her sharp nails and even sharper tongue. She has no respect for anyone, and is a ruthless gossiper.

Matthew Kincaid
Cassidy's older brother, he's still desperately trying to make since of what happened to his darling little sister. He's quick to anger-- and blames Harriet's leaving causing the downward spiral that set Cassidy off. He blames himself too though, since he was on a business trip when Cassidy died.

Bree Stellavato
One of Harriet's cousins. A young girl, her mother died giving birth to her. With no real memories of Harriet, she's skiddish at first but soon learns how to warm up to Harriet

Landon Stellavato
He's Bree's half-brother, but Harriets non-blood related cousin. A year younger than Harriet, he's one of the only people who's happy to see her back. He confessed his love to her a couple years back, but she rejected him right before leaving. Often the object of his new step mother's brutality.

Melinda Stellavato
The third wife of Thomas Stellavato, Harriet's never met her before, and is grateful. A cruel woman, she can't help but think that there's no way Melinda and her own mother can only be related through marriage.

Robert Kincaid
Cassidy's and Matthew's father, a solemn man who looks after Harriet as his own daughter.
. . .
There'll be roughly around 7 endings, and somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 words.

Sprites, GUI, ect., still in progress. Characters not final, some romance.

Currently between 600 & 1000 words.

Hey, Hey, feel free to help if you can... with anything ;A;

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Esc. [2012]

#2 Post by SusanTheCat »

Ginger wrote:Characters not final, some romance.
My sleepy Friday afternoon brain pictured that two of the characters hadn't shown up yet because they were backstage having a romance.

My brain is weird.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#3 Post by kaleidofish »

This looks like it'll shape up to be a really interesting, multi-layered story. You wrote that, "the town where she's from though highly frowns upon the modern world." In what sense is the town traditional? Are we talking super prim & proper here, or super rural, or a combination, or...? How'd Harriet sneak the electronics that ignited her love for technology into her traditional town?

Good luck getting this done. *waves "You Go, Ginger!" flag*
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

OdysseyStudio
Regular

#4 Post by OdysseyStudio »

Out of all the NaNoRenO's ideas I read so far, I like this one the most. Good luck. ^^
The artist's world is limitless. It can be found anywhere, far from where he lives or a few feet away. It is always on his doorstep.
--Paul Strand

Ginger
Regular

#5 Post by Ginger »

@Susan the Cat: Upon reading your post, I pictured that too and spent a good full minute slapping my knee while chuckling ;o;

@kaliedofish: Yeah, it's a mixture of both. This is actually based off a few true stories. The home a friend of mine grew up in for the first part of her adolescence was very against electronics. Sometimes she let's me see pictures, and the only electronics that they had were lights and a telephone. She was super shocked when she came to my town(which really isn't even that big), because of all the people and other things. Harriet has an older sister who used to be rebellious to and bring her things, but now she's still living in the same town married to another towny who her parents of approved of.

Thanks for the flag by the way(: I really like flags = w =

@OdysseyStudio: Eh? Really!? //// Thank you so much! I'll try my best!!

And I haven't been completely slacking!(well, for the most part -_-) Got a few hundred more words in, and Ta-Da! A crappy BG!!! ;A;

Backgrounds so are not my strong point. Oh well, at least that's one less thing for me to worry about.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#6 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I think the background is quite pretty, I like the colour palette is has. I know how tough backgrounds can be, I feel your pain ;_;

This is a very interesting story premise and I think I will really like the protagonist. Even if you don't get everything done for Nanoreno I think it has a lot of potential to be fully continued :)