UNUSEFULL BYSTANDERS [2012] [ALFA DEMO need feedback]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
gas
Miko-Class Veteran

UNUSEFULL BYSTANDERS [2012] [ALFA DEMO need feedback]

#1 Post by gas »

OOOOOK. At first...
DON'T PANIC!

The game was released in ALFA demo mode in 7 days as promised.
I NEED PROOFREADING! My English is very... BAAAAD (try learned English with The Cure songs..T_T).

This is the demo (for Windows), COMPLETE OF EVERYTHING but English proofreading.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ciz5n99gyues845

The game is about... life.
You are... someone that must do... something...somewhere (A city, the Sun, the Moon, Heaven, Hell...and so on). Meet characters like Death, Destiny, ME, a love-talking corpse, a stupid martian poster and so on.
It contain mature elements (death, religion, sillyness, love, sex and philosophy), with a NAIF intentional graphical style. For sure is not the usual manga story, and have a strange RETRO mood.
My effort was to create something NARRATIVE (mature) instead of STYLISH (manga, adolescent).
I had fun making it (sometime great laughs), and in two encounters..well, I've cried. There's something of my life inside.

Reaching the GOOD (?!?!?) ENDING is very hard, and you need to play (and save) the game more than once. It seems a neverending cycle... but is not.
Try hard and you will be surprised!

The file is large due to the full soundtrack coverage.

If someone want to do the proofreading and make this game even better, let me know!
Attachments
zombi.jpg
Last edited by gas on Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

Re: UNUSEFULL BYSTANDERS [16+]

#2 Post by kaleidofish »

A week to do a game about martians, kung fu zombies, punks, and hard rock music? Sounds bad ass. I wish you the best of luck. You're going to need a strong plan of action to get this done in 7 days. What are your plans, and how's everything shaping up so far? Don't worry if you don't make your one week deadline...there's still 28 days left in the month. :D
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: UNUSEFULL BYSTANDERS [16+] [2012]

#3 Post by gas »

THANK YOU!
Well, in fact I'm a writer and I teach narrative techniques for comics and novels. I don't like deadlines for drawing, but I'm used about writing at a fast pace... ("You have to edit this novel for YESTERDAY!" "Oh damn...")

Today the script has ended, I'm doing strange art in a NO manga style using A TOUCHPAD, a program that follow eyes movements and well... freedom. THE EASIER AND FREE, THE BEST.
For the music I think I can use my own band CC released music.
Maybe I can also have the time to do some interface quirks (a styled window, a BMfont...) and some stupid animation.

I think this game have the feel of HitchHicker's Galactic Guide, or some old ADV game like "Zack McKraken"... I doubt some people know about... But well, it's all about humour and life randomness (I'm SO tired about serious facts...).
Attachments
1036456433017.jpg
1250299778967.jpg
omicide.jpg
plane.jpg
violence.jpg
If you want to debate on a reply I gave to your posts, please QUOTE ME or i'll not be notified about. << now red so probably you'll see it.

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

Cidz
Veteran
Completed: The Forgetful Kiwi [NanoReno 2012], Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Projects: Words Within Our Hearts, Papercut [NanoReno 2013]
Organization: Starlight Melodies
Tumblr: starlightmelodies
Deviantart: cidthekitty

#4 Post by Cidz »

I really like the artstyle, I look forward to this! I hope you can finish it in time, good luck.

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gas »

THANK YOU!
This will be for sure the title track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciu9s4PFw2Y

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gas »

WiP Report.
The images for each of 13 locations are done.
Added sprites for BELZEPLUF character, SEXUAL SOULLESS DOLL, Nichiren Daishonin.

Added a personalized dialogue window, working on other theme elements.
Added a full track coverage.

Changed the game behaviour by using PERSISTENT data. Now the game change text based on locations seen, and also ending change.

Added an animated intro.

Added some sound effect (need more).
Attachments
1754250657424.jpg
mob.jpg
1142421122068.jpg
title.jpg
manga.png
intro.jpg

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN

gas
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gas »

WiP followup!!!

Realized a pointer.
Added intragame animations
Changed font

Now the game have 30 images.

CHANGED AGAIN the script for having a different plot behaviour (now IS crazy, but also...emotive).

Debugging.

The Heaven Scene and the Sun scene had make me cry, while the Zombie scene had make me laugh to tears.
Martian scene is strange... ok, the game can be RELEASED TOMORROW!
I said 7 days, and 7 days ARE (well, 6 in fact).
Attachments
pianto.jpg
ending.jpg

10 ? "RENPY"
20 GOTO 10

RUN