My Angsty Classmates [Otome] [NaNo 2013?]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Shadow
Regular
Completed: Various
Projects: Various

My Angsty Classmates [Otome] [NaNo 2013?]

#1 Post by Shadow »

A visual novel that can be taken about as seriously as its title, My Angsty Classmates puts you in the shoes of Phoebe Martin as she starts her last year of high school. Confronted with a class of boys who all exude an aura of teen angst and badassery, Phoebe sets out to get along with them — maybe even start a relationship — for fear that she may graduate alone.

The game's plan is to have a minimum of 5 endings. Most creative assets are free resource or not-for-profit images, with a few bits done by friends. Writing is, of course, my own, which is all I can offer in a month. UI and menus are basic (and sometimes the Ren'py default) due to sheer inexperience.

Characters

Phoebe Martin

Affectionately named "PB", Phoebe is a quiet girl with a loud mind. Most of her time in high school was spent messing around with her friend and making jokes, which was all well and good at the time. Now facing her final year of school and having little to show for it, Phoebe resolves to break out of her shell and meet new people, going down whatever path that branches from there.

Marcus White

Perhaps if he was born in a different time, Marcus would have been a nobleman. His high class aura and well-spoken manner only furthers that image. However, despite being the definition of "tall, dark and handsome", there is a strange lack of attention given to him.

Erik Bennett

Erik's sharp looks and evident book-smarts are often intimidating for people who don't know him. While he keeps to himself during breaks, presumably reading a book somewhere, Erik is rather friendly and doesn't mind being approached.

Dylan Turner

Dylan's cold manner, lack of adherence to school uniform and tendency to disappear during class has netted him the title of delinquent. He prefers to shun others and while Dylan has had his fair share of confrontations, he hasn't yet been violent, which some say is just him biding his time.

Mallie Collins

Phoebe's long time friend. While Phoebe is a quiet girl around others, Mallie seems to be the embodiment of silence. Through her friend she was able to open up but she still finds it difficult to interact with strangers.

Joshua Reed

The school's drama teacher. Josh is often the target of school-yard jokes, but those in his class know him to be an outgoing and very capable teacher who has helped many students through tough situations.
Attachments
In-game screenshot
In-game screenshot
Last edited by Shadow on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: My Angsty Classmates [Otome] [NaNo 2012]

#2 Post by CheeryMoya »

Shadow wrote:a class of boys who all exude an aura of teen angst and badassery
Yesssssssssssss

High school otomes usually don't catch my interest, but this isn't any ordinary otome; it's one full of delicious angst and badassery. That's like, gold right there. I'll be watching this project closely @_@

Mang, which angsty boy do I go for first? It'll probs be Erik since he's the megane :3 BTW, the textbox looks fine already, so don't worry about it being basic or anything. Good luck!

Raindrops
Regular
Projects: My Secret Spring (Co-writer & Proofreader), [Secret]

#3 Post by Raindrops »

I agree with CheeryMoya - the textbox looks fine! When you said 'plain' I thought the general RenPy default textbox - this textbox looks nice and it fits in with the backgrounds ^^ Speaking of backgrounds, I think they're beauts too!
Your sprites also look beautiful seriously, is there anything I can say that isn't beauts? and your plotline sounds interesting as well! I'm going to look forward to this! *puts on list of things to look forward too for my birthday (OHYEAH31STMARCH)*
@CheeryMoya I'm afraid I shall dibs on Erik! *win* *gets shot*
TOPofBB
All my life, my heart has yearned for a thing I cannot name.
- Andre Breton

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#4 Post by Kura »

This looks like all kinds of clever and wonderful. Best of luck!

Are the sprites one of the free resources you're using? And if so, can I ask where you found them? Curious since they don't look like any of the ones I've seen floating around here before.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Shadow
Regular

#5 Post by Shadow »

CheeryMoya wrote:Yesssssssssssss

High school otomes usually don't catch my interest, but this isn't any ordinary otome; it's one full of delicious angst and badassery. That's like, gold right there. I'll be watching this project closely @_@
Haha, thank you~ When I got the sprites they all looked like guys who had attitude, so after a while of trying to make them fit somewhere they didn't, I pretty much embraced it.
Kura wrote:Are the sprites one of the free resources you're using? And if so, can I ask where you found them? Curious since they don't look like any of the ones I've seen floating around here before.
All the ones I'm using, yes (apparently there are sprites I can purchase by the same group, but their site was good enough to offer many basic ones for free~). They're from Tokudaya, who sells a bunch of stuff through dlsite.
Raindrops wrote:When you said 'plain' I thought the general RenPy default textbox - this textbox looks nice and it fits in with the backgrounds ^^
Thank you~ I'm a little worried about the menus since that's where I haven't been able to make anything new, but if the text box is good, I suppose that's the most I can do.

Princess Akina
Regular

#6 Post by Princess Akina »

Ooohhhmmmyygggaawwwddd 8D <3 <3 <3
Must...have...game...now 8D
The sprites are sooo beautiful! The textbox looks simple yet it fits and the storyline. God love the storyline. xD
Badassery? Win.
Also, I call dibs on Dylan. He is mine. >8D
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#7 Post by Blane Doyle »

Ooooh, I thought I was sold by the art and the description, but when I saw the UI I immediately thought "oh yeah, have to play this".

I'm a sucker for text box portraits and it looks VERY nice with the art. Can't wait to see where this goes!

Shadow
Regular

#8 Post by Shadow »

Small update.

I'm considering changing the text box. What do you think?
Attachments
Textbox modifications
Textbox modifications

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#9 Post by tuna_sushi »

IMO, I like the new one better. It kinda mix with the characters ^.^
(I'm not that good with giving my opinions, but I'll just give it to you... ^_^")

HigurashiKira
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by HigurashiKira »

I'm not sure if it's a joke or not, but your Pheobe is actually a boy (According to the sprite's site) .-.
(Unless of you're going for a Bifauxen look
I have moved to a new account. Please contact me here from now on. T/Y~

Kitten the Cat
Regular
Projects: The Onigami House [NaNo12], Beyond the Veil [NaNo14]
Organization: Riceball Games

#11 Post by Kitten the Cat »

HigurashiKira wrote:I'm not sure if it's a joke or not, but your Pheobe is actually a boy (According to the sprite's site) .-.
(Unless of you're going for a Bifauxen look
I actually saw it from the site as well, and thought it was ingenious XD

That said, I'm liking the new textbox better. =)
Currently working on Beyond the Veil, our NaNoRenO '14 entry.

Shadow
Regular

#12 Post by Shadow »

HigurashiKira wrote:I'm not sure if it's a joke or not, but your Pheobe is actually a boy (According to the sprite's site) .-.
No joke. I just figured the face was androgynous enough to switch. It's on a different body at any rate, so the girls' school uniform can be used.

GeneDNC
Veteran
Completed: Freezing v1.0

#13 Post by GeneDNC »

I really like the new text box, very nice.
Shadow wrote:No joke. I just figured the face was androgynous enough to switch. It's on a different body at any rate, so the girls' school uniform can be used.
I assumed this was the case, so it didn't bother me.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#14 Post by Kokoro Hane »

This looks like it's gonna be fun! Otome games are always awesome, and this sounds like it has a fun twist to it. Looking forward!
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Blane Doyle
Miko-Class Veteran
Organization: Autumn Eclectic

#15 Post by Blane Doyle »

I personally prefer the original text box, but the new one does look better overall. Looking forward to this!