Toribi: Prelude [2012] [100% DONE!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Capsy

Toribi: Prelude [2012] [100% DONE!]

#1 Post by Capsy »

It's done now: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=14660

Before you get too interested in this project, I just want you to know that I have next to no experience with Renpy, this is my first time making a visual novel, and I'm trying to do it in (now less than) a month at a time where my life is getting really busy. So, basically, I'd like to apologise in advance for whatever terrible thing I end up producing as my finished project at the end of this month. OTL

Toribi: Prelude

Hum and Maria are typical childhood friends. Born within a few days of each other at the same hospital, they grew up together in the city and have always relied on one another throughout their entire lives. After being friends for so long, Maria knows pretty much all there is to know about Hum. His favourite food, his shoe size, his blood type... and the one thing Hum has kept from his parents his whole life - the fact that there is nothing he can't stand more than city life. The two are nearing the end of their time at middle school when they select which high school they will attend, and although Maria is keen to talk to Hum on the subject he is uncharacteristically dismissive of it, choosing to dodge the question of "What high school do you want to go to?" whenever she brings it up. Maria decides to drop it, but soon Hum starts acting strangely whenever she tries to start any sort of conversation with him, and she begins to get concerned.

Toribi: Prelude starts on Hum and Maria's last day of middle school. At this point, conversation between the two of them is little more than small talk, and the day ends with them walking home together in silence. Just as they are about to head their separate ways to go home for the holidays, Hum admits to Maria that over the past few days he had been discussing with his parents his lifelong hatred for his city lifestyle - and how for high school he wanted nothing more than to go to a boarding school in the countryside. As Maria tries to take in what is going on, Hum concedes that his parents have finally agreed to support him in his choice, and that he will be moving away to boarding school in a week's time to start his new life in the country. They only have seven more days together, before they will be separated.

... And that's pretty much the beginning of the story as it stands! The game is told as Maria during her last seven days with her best friend, about how they spend their time together and what they do, and of course the choices you make may or may not land you with some dramatic endings. >w< As you can tell from the title, this is essentially a prequel to my main project Toribi. I didn't want to dive straight into a massive project for my first VN, so that's why I'm participating in NaNoRenO to sort of test the waters a bit first. :P There's no real progress to show for this yet, but I just really wanted to start this thread before it got too late into the month. ^^;; I hope to get properly started soon, just, I'm not really sure where to start to be honest, I guess in the next few days or so I'll try to get some of the writing done and some character sketches or something, I'm just rambling and it's late so I'll go nooooww *o*
Last edited by Capsy on Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Toribi: Prelude [2012]

#2 Post by SusanTheCat »

This sounds like it is going to be super sweet!

Good luck on your first project.

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

Capsy

#3 Post by Capsy »

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a screenshot!!

... I'm not gonna lie, progress has been pretty slow on this game thus far (hence the lack of any sort of update ^^;;), but I've been working super hard on this game for the past few days and now the ball is really rolling. I think if I keep up the rate of work that I'm going at until the end of March, I should be able to finish this game as I'm not trying to attempt anything too massive (hence the fact that Hum is the only character with a sprite... I know I suck OK ;-;). I've got a little bit of everything done at the moment - recorded most of the opening theme, finished Hum's main sprite, dabbled in a bit of UI design, got backgrounds...

The backgrounds. Originally I wanted to draw them from scratch, but then switched to putting filters over stock photos simply because I'm bad enough at art as it is and drawing backgrounds is something I've never even tried before. So, unfortunately, not everything in this game will be made from scratch but this is a sacrifice I'm going to have to make for a game made in a month. Oh well! :D

So, for now, I will probably write like crazy as that's the one thing I've been working on the least (probably the most important part, omg I'm so bad at planning), and hopefully it'll take me less than ten days to post another update... ^^;; Feedback, suggestions, criticisms and all that stuff is welcomed with open arms! I'm still a complete newbie here and I need all the help I can get! :D

Starshine
Veteran
Completed: http://berry-melon.blogspot.co.uk/2016/ ... -2016.html
Projects: Pancake Surprise (2016)
Tumblr: http://bettybooplover.tumblr.com
Deviantart: berry-melon
Soundcloud: sweepea-1

#4 Post by Starshine »

The graphics are cute, good luck with you project you seem to have loads of the stoy written down. I could never write a story as big as that so fast it would take me months.
http://berry-melon.blogspot.com
I'm not resting until I find
What would make your eyes
Glisten like mine
With loves divine!

Boo-Boo I couldn't aspire....to anything...
Higher...than to fill that one desire to make it
My own....Bop-Bop-a-Dop-Boop-Oop-a-Doop honey?

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#5 Post by kaleidofish »

I really hope you finish this. I'm going through something vaguely similar to Maria right now - a close friend of mine is strongly considering transferring (it's going to happen, she's got the school picked out and everything), so I'd love to read this when it's done. Hum's looking extra cute. Best of luck!
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Capsy

#6 Post by Capsy »

Thank you for the support, everyone! This is still very much being worked on, and it's on its way to being released on time. All of Hum's emotions are done, as well as the backgrounds and I think all the music bar one track. The only thing that isn't going as smoothly is writing the script, as I'm slightly behind, but now that I have all the other things pretty much done and dusted it's pretty much all writing from here on out. ^^

I also am really pleased to announce that I begged got my friend BoMuffin to make a title screen for this game, which, seeing as I haven't really been showing much of this game's progress, I guess I'll attach here. :) Thank you once again, Bo! :D
Attachments
People will be so disappointed when they realise the art in game is nowhere near as good as this. ^^;;
People will be so disappointed when they realise the art in game is nowhere near as good as this. ^^;;

BoMuffin

#7 Post by BoMuffin »

Hope you get this done on time Cap!! :D
Don't worry guys! Cap hasn't been slacking! Pretty hard worker actually o.o;; Scary to watch.
His random Rages make me laugh XDDD :lol:
GAMBARE CAPSY!
Last edited by BoMuffin on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

misamane
Regular

#8 Post by misamane »

Ah good luck with your first VN! I like the sound of it and I'll definitely play it when you release it! ^_^
And that's a very pretty title screen ohhhhhhhhh~ :3
Careful what you do, ‘cause God is watching your every move. Hold my hand in the dark street, for if you do I know that I’ll be safe. Even if I’m far away and alone, I can be sure that you’ll find me there, this I know. You draw me close for a while, so quiet. You tell me everything. If I forget what you say, then you’d come to me, and tell me again. Yes you’d tell me once again. But what happens when I know it all, then what should I do after that? What then?

Part of the huge LSF project: LemmaTV: Television that watches you!

Capsy

#9 Post by Capsy »

I've had a hard time finding things to update this thread with, because it's mainly just been frantic script writing recently, but seeing as it's so close to launch time I guess I can share this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tel-buzZW14

It's the main theme for Toribi. ... and that's it. I don't really have much else to write here. I really need to get back to writing the actual game. I'm way behind... ;n; But I will still get it done, that's for certain! Even at the cost of sleep, I will do it! ^^

Capsy

Re: Toribi: Prelude [2012] [100% DONE!]

#10 Post by Capsy »

afghafghdjhf I DID IT, let's just ignore the fact that in my timezone it's April 2nd because I'm sure somewhere in the world it's still April 1st, so technically I still made the deadline, right? right?? ;n; I was going to write a big long thing about how I'm glad this is finished, and what I've gained from this experience and stuff, but quite frankly my fingers are worn out from all last minute typing and I'd rather go to bed, haha. Maybe some other time. ^^

So, go here, if by any chance you want to play this game: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=14660