...Wait, What Did I Just Read? An experiment in vagueness

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Funnyguts
Veteran

...Wait, What Did I Just Read? An experiment in vagueness

#1 Post by Funnyguts »

I decided to do a silly little experiment for NaNo. I came up with as vague as story as possible, and gave it no art. You can play that game here, it's only 5 minutes long at best. What did you see as you played through the game? Did you see a swordsman obtaining the sharpest blade in the world? A older woman looking at a toy of hers, and being amazed at all the thoughts it brought back? A horny middle schooler trying to brag about the panties he stole from a classmate?

Well, help me make it less vague. Make some art (it doesn't have to be good art, just good enough for anyone looking at it to match it up with the story), based on how you interpret the story. Send it to me, and I'll include it in the game, along with the rest of the art that I recieve. See what everyone else thinks about the story, and provide your own telling.

I'm not looking for exceptionally fancy art, although if you feel like spending time on this, go ahead. I'm hoping that this will be a simple fun thing for those of you who are interested to do as a break from whatever else you're working on. Have fun, and let your imagination go crazy!
waitwhat0.2.zip
Play me!
(134.87 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
THE RULES:
1. I have final say over what images are put in the game. I may choose not to include any submission for any reason I feel like. I will, however, do my best to explain why I won't add a submission, and in most cases I'll accept anything that doesn't break the rest of the rules.
2. You are letting me use your art with your permission. If you decide you don't want your art in this game anymore, let me know and I will remove it as soon as possible.
3. I need exactly 6 CGs, all 800x600. In order to make sure my code works for every art submission, I can't accept sprites. I also can't have the CGs change between scenes, so no changing faces. All I need is six static images.
4. Please have each image labeled <yourusername>_<number of image>. So, if I were adding my own art, I'd have images called funnyguts_1 through funnyguts_6.
5. The art submitted needs to generally reflect what's going on in a scene. If I have a decent idea as to what A and B are up to from your art, it's fine. If there's just a bunch of blobs and lines everywhere, I won't accept it. The whole point of the art submissions is to remove the vagueness of the story, so vague art defeats the point.
6. Nothing too vulgar or violent, please.
7. You are not expected to spend any amount of effort on this. If you spend five minutes total making art, that's fine. If you want to spend two weeks making sure everything is perfect, that's fine too.
8. Have fun. I will probably be less strict on these rules than you expect.

Submissions are due whenever you can get them done. I'll be regularly updating the game as I get new submissions, so don't worry about when you get stuff finished. If you can get art to me sooner than later, though, please do.

Make sure you check the source code to see what dialog is included in which scenes! If you're confused, here's a list of which lines start a scene:

Scene 2: b "Whe- how did you get that?"
Scene 3: a "nom nom nom~"
Scene 4: a "My shins still hurt, but sure."
Scene 5: b "...Isn’t it amazing? It took me so long to get my hands on it."
Scene 6: a "Okay, in position."

Let me know if there's anything you're confused about! If you have some art, just link me a zip file with the images, and I'll add them to the game myself.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

Re: ...Wait, What Did I Just Read? An experiment in vaguenes

#2 Post by Crocosquirrel »

This sounds like a really fun sort of thing, and I'll see what I can do about not-totally-crappy art for it ;)
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)

Funnyguts
Veteran

#3 Post by Funnyguts »

Hey, an update. In the hopes of getting some more submissions, I've uploaded a version of the game with some artwork provided by CheeryMoya. Check it out and get inspired!
waitwhat0.3.zip
(773.14 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by CheeryMoya »

I was really surprised that something like this was never attempted before (at least to my knowledge), and it's really amusing C: The way it's written really allows you to imagine anything, and the only limit is your imagination.

What did I see? Turtles and rock. I am so damn cool 8) Oi, but I forgot the signature red ears ;-;