Grim Fables [2013][Poetry][Fairy Tales][Horror]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
specialtantei
Veteran

Grim Fables [2013][Poetry][Fairy Tales][Horror]

#1 Post by specialtantei »

Hello everyone! Visual Kyouki is proud to say that we will be participating in this year's NaNoRenO. This VN started out as small talk between friends and we both came to the conclusion that it would make a fine entry, plus a good example of our style. We wish all the participants luck!

GENERAL INFORMATION
Engine: Ren'Py
Language: English (Spanish possible at later date)
Title: Grim Fables: Stories from the Twisted Realm
Genre: Poetry, Fairy Tales, Horror
Rating: Not Yet Rated
Player Interaction: Minimal
Plot: Every culture has its stories, tales from yesteryear that have stuck with us for generations. Some of these tales are known well across many cultures, including such classics as "The Frog Prince" and "Jack and the Beanstalk." The thing is, even though we all have some idea of how the stories go, everyone tells them a little differently, and we of Visual Kyouki would like to share our version of several of these tales with you. So grab a beverage, an easy chair, and your security blanket, because opening up this musty tome just might make you a little queasy.
Grim Fables will be Visual Kyouki's submission for NaNoRenO 2013, a challenge to create a complete visual novel within the month of March. Should all go well, a playable English version of this game will be available on April 1.
FAIRY TALES
Cinderella
Frog Prince
Hansel and Gretel
Jack and the Beanstalk
Little Red Riding Hood
Rumpelstiltskin
Snow White
The Boy who Cried Wolf
The Emperor's New Clothes
The Pied Piper of Hamelin
The Princess and the Pea
The Ugly Duckling
The Wolf and the Seven Kids
FEATURES
-Custom interface, music, and artwork
- One CG for each page of text
- 13 unique stories
- Narration
PLAYER INTERACTION
This visual novel is meant to read as one would read a storybook. There will be no player choices save for the game menus, though the reader will be able to select individual stories from the table of contents.
PROGRESS
Story: 100% (13 of the 13 stories blocked out)
Scripting: 0%
Music: 0%
UI: 0%
CG Art: 0%
Last edited by specialtantei on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialtantei
Veteran

Re: Grim Fables [2013][Poetry][Fairy Tales][Horror]

#2 Post by specialtantei »

Now that the stories that will be included in the novel have been decided on, I've added a list on the first post for everyone to see.
We'll be informing on updates both here and on the group's site, and maybe spoil some artwork. Maybe :P . If that happens feedback will be very appreciated, not only on the art but also on the concept, UI and ideas.
PS: I've seen a lot of cool ideas in this thread so I wish once again good luck to everyone and hope we all make it for the deadline~.

ffs_jay
Regular
Completed: HellBounders - Act 0
Projects: HellBounders series

#3 Post by ffs_jay »

That's a whole lot of content you've got planned out there. Look forward to seeing your take on the stories and how they turn out. Good luck with NaNo '13!

specialtantei
Veteran

#4 Post by specialtantei »

@ffs_jay thank you very much! We all know it is hard work but we will do our best :).
Good luck on your game too!

Iarumas
Regular
Completed: Death Rule: Fear Complex -Standalone Edition- | Death Rule: lost code
Projects: Death Rule Series (MESI Games)
Organization: MESI Games

#5 Post by Iarumas »

A Grimm tales visual novel! I myself have an old omnibus of all their stories. Seems like there's plenty of stories in there as well, but I'm not seeing my personal three favorites, "The King of the Golden Mountain", "The Blue Light", and of course "The Two Brothers". Either way, nice to see such good classic stories being appreciated. Good luck with your work!

specialtantei
Veteran

#6 Post by specialtantei »

Iarumas wrote:A Grimm tales visual novel! I myself have an old omnibus of all their stories. Seems like there's plenty of stories in there as well, but I'm not seeing my personal three favorites, "The King of the Golden Mountain", "The Blue Light", and of course "The Two Brothers". Either way, nice to see such good classic stories being appreciated. Good luck with your work!
Thank you Iarumas!
I really love those 3 stories (especially ''The Two Brothers), yet we wanted to use some more well-known ones :).
And yes, you're right, classic stories do deserve more attention. It has been a hobby of mine since I was a kid to underline things in my fairy tale books and look for more omnious meanings :lol: .
Anyway, the title is a reference to the Grimm brothers as some of their stories are in there, but definetly aren't the only ones :D.
I also wish you luck with your entry! [Just realized you aren't doing any. Dumb me. *pats herself*]

Dangertyde
Regular
Projects: Anatidae

#7 Post by Dangertyde »

I must say, I'm really looking forward to this one! It seems like something right up my alley, as I'm always drawn to more dark/macabre story arcs. I loved Grimm's Fables as a kid, and own this book chock full of tales on my shelf. Ahh, now I'm getting all excited, haha. All the best to you in your progression, and I hope you have great success in this upcoming VN!

Iarumas
Regular
Completed: Death Rule: Fear Complex -Standalone Edition- | Death Rule: lost code
Projects: Death Rule Series (MESI Games)
Organization: MESI Games

#8 Post by Iarumas »

Hey, no promises here but... what if, hypothetically speaking, I took one of those three tails and wrote a little something something... would you use it? If so, I'll see what I can whip up. *Spoiler Alert!* It would probably be short, but still. Oh yes...
specialtantei wrote:I also wish you luck with your entry! [Just realized you aren't doing any. Dumb me. *pats herself*]
Thank you for the luck. Let's just say I might need it, even if you don't know it. ;D
Last edited by Iarumas on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

specialtantei
Veteran

#9 Post by specialtantei »

@Iarumas I wouldn't mind adding it as an extra :D. We'll credit you, of course~.

@Dangertyde Thank you very much! I'm glad you are interested in it and we hope to rise to your expectations <3.

specialtantei
Veteran

#10 Post by specialtantei »

Finally, after some delay because of me sleeping like a Snorlax, we finished discussing the stories and thought of some extras (Iarumas's one if he ever writes something and a second less creepy version for Rumpelstiltskin). Thank you all for being interested in our project!

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#11 Post by azureXtwilight »

I really like fairy tales! Looking forward to see updates from this, since the current one looks really awesome already!

specialtantei
Veteran

#12 Post by specialtantei »

Thanks azure <3! We are currently discussing the UI as along with the art it is the hardest thing to do. We're having some coding problems but nothing unsolvable.
I wish you a lot of luck with your entry too, it looks great till now!

specialtantei
Veteran

#13 Post by specialtantei »

Hi guys! Been some time since last update, because I was busy with life and school work. Good news is, we've finished writing Snow White and the UI is already planned but the menu. Now my artist and friend can start drawing, have the voice recorded, and I'll hopefully have a second story done tonight. Hardowrking mode, go!
PS: This was so low on the list, a few games more and it would've been on the second page, forgotten by the world :cry: .

FiliaFlammae
Projects: Crossing the Waste, Grim Fables, Wasurenagusa
Organization: Visual Kyouki

#14 Post by FiliaFlammae »

Hey, all. Aforementioned "artist and friend" and unofficial second-in-command of Visual Kyouki here.

Tantei speaks the truth about our Snow White script being completed. I've formatted it and pretty much finished the UI save for the main menu art and layout. The problem is that we don't have much official progress past that. I haven't heard from Tantei since we went over Snow White together more than a week ago, and I strongly suspect that she's lost her internet access, though for what length of time I have no way of knowing. So, at this point, this one story out of our planned thirteen is the only one confirmed. :(

My highest priority right now is illustrating Snow White. If the art goes quickly enough, Grim Fables will also include, in descending order of priority/likelihood, (1) the alternate Rumpelstiltskin, (2) Iarumas' guest story if (s)he's still up for it, and (3) guest stories from our other Visual Kyouki members. Should I not draw very quickly, of course, I guess we'll be stuck with one story...but one is better than none. I'll give it my best.

I want to apologize on my group leader's behalf for this unexpected letdown. I'm sure she would want to do the same. Rest assured that in spite of it all, we'll do our best to give you as much of a VN on April 1st as we can! We hope to expand the VN even further after NaNoRenO is over and eventually present you with the complete product.

Thank you and take care,
FiliaFlammae
Visual Kyouki
Character Artist, UI Developer

Current projects:
Crossing the Waste

Projects on hold:
Grim Fables
Wasurenagusa