The Crying Rock

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
vividXP
Regular
Projects: "Almost There" (NanoReno '14)

The Crying Rock

#1 Post by vividXP »

Kinetic Novel * PG * M/* + M/F
Synopsis
There are many stories about the wood, mainly cautionary tales of hapless travelers doomed to nasty fates. But born-and-raised Leytowners know how to navigate in the woods. There are a couple of rules:

Don't go in Alone. There are a few caravans that travel straight through the woods. These caravans are enormous groups of fifty to one hundred people who make that journey once or twice a year. For those not trying to pass completely through the forest, even having one other person beside you can keep you safe."

Reject any invitations, food, deals, anything that a spirit may give you that you didn't ask for. However, if you are the one initiating contact and if you set your terms carefully, most spirits are unable to renege on a deal you set. There is even a branch of spiritual solicitors that make a lot of money helping people form airtight deals to make with spirits.

Most importantly, don't be an ass. Rules are made to be broken and as long as you are respectful, you'll make it out alive.

Main Characters
Kyan Woodson
A woodcarver by trade with a hobby of making and playing wooden instruments. Works with his father who makes furniture.

Opaline
A teacher at a finishing school. The daughter of a well-to-do merchant and a spiritual solicitator

Aue
The reigning deity of the forest.

Other Characters
Dyan Woodson
Kyan's younger brother. Decided to leave and make his own living away from the family business and is very successful at it.

Rose Wood
An extroverted spirit inhabiting a Rosewood tree.

Progress
3/18/2013: Edited synposis, posted more screenshots and artwork
3/9/2013: Fixed the synopsis now that I have some dialogue. Change the M/M tag to M/* because I decided that the deities don't really have genders even if some may present as such.
3/8/2013: Writing is about 75% done. Concept art for Aue finished.
2/27/2013: Bare bones project thread created. The outline of "Crying Rock" is complete (has been for a while). I know what I want to do and where I want the story to go but I have not written anything yet. Of course, I don't need to worry about this yet.
Last edited by vividXP on Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:24 pm, edited 7 times in total.
vividxp.tumblr.com
Wọn ṣe bí òtòṣì ò gbọn bí ọlọrò; wón ní ì bá gbón ì bá lówó lọwọ / People think the poor person lacks the wisdom the wealthy person has; they say if one had wisdom, one would be rich

specialtantei
Veteran

Re: The Crying Rock [NaNoReno 2013]

#2 Post by specialtantei »

Sounds interesting! Good luck on completing it <3.

vividXP
Regular

Re: The Crying Rock [NaNoReno 2013]

#3 Post by vividXP »

Now that the writing for this is pretty much done with, I've started figuring out character designs. This is basically the design + colors. I didn't take shading too seriously.
vividxp.tumblr.com
Wọn ṣe bí òtòṣì ò gbọn bí ọlọrò; wón ní ì bá gbón ì bá lówó lọwọ / People think the poor person lacks the wisdom the wealthy person has; they say if one had wisdom, one would be rich

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

Re: The Crying Rock [NaNoReno 2013] [Fantasy][M/F][M/*][Kine

#4 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Circle tattoos + braid/mohawk = COOL

vividXP
Regular

#5 Post by vividXP »

More random updates. I await the day I have enough things to show off and make my thread all sexy like the other Nano threads.
First up is a screenshot of the title menu screen in action. Have my mouse over Begin to show off the mouseover effect. One day there will be something pretty in that frame. Click to view full size.
Second, some more concept art and a finished sprite
From left to right, concepts for Aue, Kyan and Opaline. Click to view full size.

And Kyan's sprite. I may go back and do more with it if I have time but I've got to move on.
That's all for now.
vividxp.tumblr.com

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#6 Post by saguaro »

That frame looks awesome. Good luck, you seem to be making steady progress.

vividXP
Regular

#7 Post by vividXP »

Okay, so it's the final stretch and I don't think I will be able to finish in time. In retrospect, it's hard juggling classes and research and my very first visual novel all by lonesome and I probably should have taken the time restraints more seriously. Hopefully, I will be able to fully succeed with Nanoreno in the future.

I might release what I have because I don't think I will be continuing with the project after Nano '13 is over.

:(
vividxp.tumblr.com