The Court of the Two Sides [Fantasy Court Intrigue][2013]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

The Court of the Two Sides [Fantasy Court Intrigue][2013]

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

"This is the only time you can prove yourself. Like what you keep on saying to yourself as a little child of this world, take this chance, or leave it."

After decades of battles and thousands of deaths, the elven nation of Astoerien and the human nation of Rheiviel had finally came to an agreement to stop their war. A treaty was signed, all was well…

…or so they said.

The discrimination between their two races never ceased, their petty arguments never resolved. The issues still remained and their problems between each other never stopped. Over the years, they keep on finding a way to hate each other, and another war is threatening to begin.

This was a problem for you, a young lady born between the romance of an elf and a human. As soon as you were separated from your parents, finding a safe life was hard, and you knew that the political issues between these two nations must end.

One day, you received a letter from both the Council of Astoerien and the Rheivielian Monarchy — you are to attend a diplomatic meeting between the two nations, to straighten out issues that violate their treaty, and to provide solutions fair to all. Being a half-breed they will assume your opinions would be equal to all… but that now, depends to you.

Be a lady in court: resolve political issues, know your friends and enemies, be the good or bad of the court. Form alliances, rebel with the noblemen, start a rebellion, if you want to. Will you be the admiration of the noblemen and women, or the dirt on which they step on? Would there be friendship, rivalry, or love? The doors of the Amaryllis estate opens to you.

Welcome to the conference.

Characters
(I'll have to apologize for the terribly mismatched page with the crappily-made concepts)

Protagonist (name changeable, of course)

As soon as the statement came out of your mouth, you can’t help but notice the mixed reactions of your audience. Whether it came off witty or stupid… you never actually know.

A young half-elf-half-human lady at court, she accepted the risk of resolving political issues just to stop the tension between the nations and so she can finally seek peace. Whatever her allegiances, beliefs and actions will be, it will depend to you.

-

Members of the Council of Astoerien

Lord Illias / Lady Ileria of Niemela
Astoerien Grand Elder

The conversation continues and you instantly warm on the friendly disposition this person is showing you. He opens up and smiles a lot, and he doesn’t mind getting out of his comfort zone to be able to enjoy the conversation.

She/He is a friendly person, and opens up to almost everyone, but is having a bit of a hard time with the humans except for M./Mme. Clement. She/He’s the prime example of the elves’ moral outlook, so many of the humans mock him/her for being “too much of a saint.” Many suspects the morality of the elves is just mere cover though, so she/he can be more than what meets the eye…

Lord Nico of Sarris
Astoerien’s Minister of Trade

He didn’t say anything as you came nearer, but then he smiled sadly to you, like he’s… warning something. You proceeded on your seat, greets him, and the conversation goes on. He is pleasant company; except that he seems distracted, like he’d rather have something else to do.

The complete opposite of Lady Elin, Nico is friendly, but wary of his colleagues; resulting in his melancholy silence around them. He’s more closer to the humans because of his position, and because of that, he serves at the middle person when things between his colleagues and the humans went awry. He’s strangely cheerful around the humans, but it’s unsure if the humans are treating him the same way.

Lady Elin of Nurmi
Astoerien’s Minister of Foreign Affairs

When you finally get a good look at her, you finally saw that she was wearing her formal clothes, and she’s wielding a… knife? And is that a crossbow? Her garb seems more of a noblewoman, but the air around her is more of a bandit.

She’s a chirpy, friendly woman that you first meet on your way to the Amaryllis estate. As a master sicarius (assassin), many thinks her clothes and status doesn’t match her attitude; she’s more agile and swift than she is witty — no one can beat her in a verbal argument, though. She’s friendly to everyone — even the humans; although there’s an exception with the form of Mme. Chantal…

Lord Elias of Sarris
Nobleman of Sarris

You later find him in the courtyard lake, on a boat, all alone; all after he disappears in the banquet after a quick conversation with Lady Elin. You try to coax him to get off, since the elder was asking for his presence, but it took a couple of tries before he did so. You assume that parties aren’t his thing.

Elias is the Grand Elder’s mysterious friend and ally, Nico’s clanmate, and what appears to be Elin’s lover. He is more knowledgeable than he looks, and his actions more understandable than what his words can say. What marks him most from the other members of the council is his prominent sarcasm and wit (that he uses sparingly when needed), and obvious distaste of the humans.

Lady Essi of Dianoia
Elder of Dianoia

She comes near you, combs your hair properly, and does the same to the Grand Elder, much to your surprise. They smile to each other like what a mother and her daughter would do. The Grand Elder and Lady Essi is much more closer than what you thought it to be.

Essi is the motherly figure of the council, and she serves as the Grand Elder’s adviser and guardian. According to the Grand Elder, she is a very good judge of character, acts younger than her age, and a skilled veneficus (wizard) of the kingdom; she uses these skills to be a bridge of knowledge to the Grand Elder and everyone else should they not know anything. Like Elin, she holds a distaste for Mme. Chantal.

-

Members of the Rheivielian Monarchy

M. Alexander / Mme. Alethie Clement
Rheivielian Ambassador

He nods at your comment, and it was enough to piss you off. Practically, you don’t really like people as silent as a stone, and if it’s not throwing rocks at him, you’re not sure how to make him talk.

She / He is an unresponsive person, and only talks much when the job calls for interaction; the result being the misconception of his non-existent social skills. He only opens up to his close colleagues like M. Cedric and Mme. Chantal, but with such friend circle, he is surprisingly more of close friends with the grand elder of Astoerien, which he contrasts with.

M. Thomas Roussel
Rheivielian Minister of Trade

Character design and personality sketches still in-progress.

M. Cedric Riviere
Rheivielian Minister of Foreign Affairs

Mme. Chantal Fontaire
Noblewoman of Amaryllis

She appeared like a bright rainbow after a rain; she approached everyone with grace, bringing smiles to their faces. But glancing to you, she shoots a cold glance, and you know from that point that you aren’t getting any special treatment like she does to others.

A rich noblewoman and the cousin of the king of Rheiviel. She is one of the investors of the Amaryllis estate, the place where the conference will be held, named after the Queen and a district in Rheiviel. She comes off as a sly person with no hobby than flirting, men and women alike, although her flirting with Lady Elin is more of sarcastic than romantic. There’s still the mystery why is she in the meeting.

M. Alain Olivier
Rheivielian Head General

Staff
  • Main Writing, Coding: Lumen
  • Conceptualizing, Research: Freu Schneider
  • Art: Zylinder
  • Co-Writers: Nancie, Castielle, The Programmer, shinempp
This will have... several endings and many game-over dead-ends ovo //laughsevilly//
Last edited by Lumen_Astrum on Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:27 am, edited 8 times in total.

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

Re: The Court of the Two Sides [Fantasy Court Intrigue][2013

#2 Post by Rye »

*stare*
I'm stalking you and this game. I love this kind of game.
*laughsevillywithyou*
Hope you can finish this soon.
*fade into darkness*
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

specialtantei
Veteran

#3 Post by specialtantei »

Elves and intrigue? My game <3.
So many interesting games for this NaNoRenO~. Can't you do some magic and make it exist right now ? :lol:
Good luck!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#4 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thanks so much, guys :) I'm writing an outline now to send to my writers, and an art update will be coming soon! :)

Shoko
Regular
Soundcloud: shokomusic

#5 Post by Shoko »

The art's beautiful and the story sounds quite interesting. I'll so be playing this when you finish it! Good luck!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#6 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Oh, no. I'm not the one doing the art. The one in the OP is just the concepts, since I have few to show, art-wise :)

Anyway, here's some concept art from our artist, Zylinder! This will be her outfit for the meeting. :) The art won't be final though, of course -- I've asked for a couple edits. :D

Einara
Regular

#7 Post by Einara »

This sure looks interesting. I like the fact that we'll be able to forge our own lady, which is quite refreshing. I also like the design of Alethie Clement, but that's probably because I have a thing for classy ladies with black hair.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#8 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thank you so much for your interest! :)
Random screenshot with lazily-edited and butchered concept image as placeholder.

Sorry to my artist for butchering her work. Still not sure if I should have a protagonist picture but... well.

amzcoffee

#9 Post by amzcoffee »

Though the art is not completed yet, I think the background will blend quite well with the sprite~ dialog box looks nice, I like simplicity :D

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#10 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Thank you!
Latest Lint check:
Statistics:

The game contains 292 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 9,260 words,
for an average of 31.7 words per screen.
The game contains 29 menus.
29 menus *cries*

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Applegate »

"The village was lively, even if the sun is already casting shadows everywhere."

Rule of thumb: No matter how lazily edited, make sure your screenshot material doesn't have any obvious miss steaks. :P (Both sentences should be in the same tense, either past or present.) Idly, it also seems weird to speak of the "sun was already casting shadows everywhere" when it's morning. I mean, that means the first thing the sun does is cast shadows everywhere, and if it's morning I'd expect, "The village was lively, even though the sun'd only just begun casting shadows everywhere.", and even THEN I'd recommend the last part for a setting sun, not a rising sun.

That background is gorgeous, though, and I'd want to read this if only to gawk at the background. The premise also sounds promising.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#12 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Oops, sorry! I didn't notice the inconsistency -- that's my top problem. Edited in the script.
Haha, sorry to ruin it, but the BG's just stock. XD Not much time to make originals.

Outline code for day 2's done, so moving on to outlines of until day 5 (last day) and then onto writing the scenes for real!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#13 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Changed Lady Siiri's name to Essi.

Finally working on day 5 coding. Next would be the real writing phase. Character creation is almost done. I think I already hit 50 menus or something... ^^;

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by CheeryMoya »

50 menus! I assume most of that is for this character creation thing, but what is that exactly? Is it basically setting up the personality/info the protagonist? How much of an effect does it have on the game?
I've been looking forward to this, good luck :3

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#15 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

CheeryMoya wrote:50 menus! I assume most of that is for this character creation thing, but what is that exactly? Is it basically setting up the personality/info the protagonist? How much of an effect does it have on the game?
I've been looking forward to this, good luck :3
Class will define your stats, stats will affect your gameplay. In certain cases it affects what the protagonist will say, and sometimes it limits what you can do.

As for the amount of menus, it's something like a court simulation, so in the court itself you'd be asked what to do, what's your decision, who to talk with, etc. Plus there are some scenes outside court to build up stats or relationships, or to increase reputation and wealth (the latter may not be that important, but the former is. TERRIBLY important.)

Thank you so much, CheeryMoya! :) I appreciate your support. Almost halfway done with writing for Day 2's court scenes. For now, have the sneak peek thing for Nico, which I inserted in the first post. I'll insert Essi's updated concept as well.