Ambre [Drama][NaNoReno 2013 WIP topic] RELEASED

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Helianthus
Regular
Completed: Being Beauteous, Ambre, HVNCML, Garden of Oblivion, Wounded by Words
Projects: Chronotopia, Khzi and the Cursed Stone
Organization: Träumendes Mädchen
Tumblr: TraumendesMadchen

Ambre [Drama][NaNoReno 2013 WIP topic] RELEASED

#1 Post by Helianthus »

Main menu, WIP
Synopsis & Characters
Tristan Malory is an ordinary salary-man, caught into the same routine of “commute, work, sleep” since the departure of his wife. That is until he meets Ambre, a sweet and naïve little girl who happens to be homeless. Touched, he decides to shelter her for the moment. As Tristan learns to live with his new mate, things become stranger and stranger…
Ambre
Loli heroine of the story. Likes fairytales, stuffed toys, pink and princesses. She seems so innocent and cute, it’s difficult to refuse her anything.
Tristan
A kind man in his thirties, totally depressed since his wife disappeared. He has a secret way too heavy to carry alone…
Cookies for everyone
Our team is super excited to try Nanoreno this year :3. Free to ask us anything in the thread ^_^

Progress
Script : french and english script both ready
GUI & programming : polishing UI
Music : five tracks finished
Sprites, BGs & Chibis : done
CGs :3/3
The final product is available here
Last edited by Helianthus on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 12 times in total.

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

Re: Ambre [Drama][NaNoReno 2013] Team in need of a composer

#2 Post by latte »

So just making sure, this won't be Usagi Drop 2.0, will it? Please tell me it won't, it looks so promising, beautiful art too...

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#3 Post by teacup »

Ooh, my interest is piqued. The art looks wonderful and charming. Ambre is adorable but I get a weird vibe from her. I wonder if she's really just an innocent little girl... =o
Unfortunately I can't help, but I'm offering my moral support! Good luck!

Helianthus
Regular

#4 Post by Helianthus »

latte wrote:So just making sure, this won't be Usagi Drop 2.0, will it? Please tell me it won't, it looks so promising, beautiful art too...
Well, I can’t say many things without spoiling the major twist but there is no “pedobear-like” relationship in the end. However you have to play all the way through to reveal it because the beginning of the story will make you think that. I don’t know if I really reassured you XD.
teacup wrote:Ooh, my interest is piqued. The art looks wonderful and charming. Ambre is adorable but I get a weird vibe from her. I wonder if she's really just an innocent little girl... =o
Unfortunately I can't help, but I'm offering my moral support! Good luck!
Maybe she’s just an innocent little girl, maybe not, we’ll see…

Anyway, thank you for your support ; our graphist was really pleased to see people liking her art :o

I updated the first page with a new illustration of Ambre’s room, it’s not finished yet, but feel free to comment :) !

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#5 Post by Arowana »

Aww, Ambre is adorable! I really like the BG of her room as well. Was that all hand drawn in the last few days? If so, wow, I'm amazed by your artist! :D Looking forward to seeing where the story goes!
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by try10 »

This seems interesting and the characters have something to hide ( I love this kind of stuff) . The background looks gorgeous! I am waiting patiently for this project to be finished.

Good luck! :D

Helianthus
Regular

#7 Post by Helianthus »

Illustration of the main menu added ! Not finished either but we did some attempts to design the interface and the logo. What do you think ? Should we add something ? :o

Arowana wrote:Aww, Ambre is adorable! I really like the BG of her room as well. Was that all hand drawn in the last few days? If so, wow, I'm amazed by your artist! :D Looking forward to seeing where the story goes!
Yep, the characters and the background were hand drawn (you could even see the sketchbook nearby before I erased it XD). But, of course, she did the colorization of the room with Photoshop.
Glad to see such a warm welcome ! Our artist was anxious to have so much work in one go (all the sprites, backgrounds and GUI) but I think she’s doing just fine :)
Gosh, I feel so flattered : I LOVED the Pirate Mermaid Demo. You guys are doing so great, I’m so eager to play the complete game *__*
try10 wrote:This seems interesting and the characters have something to hide ( I love this kind of stuff) . The background looks gorgeous! I am waiting patiently for this project to be finished.
Good luck! :D
Thank you, I hope you’ll like the twist around the secrets the characters hide :3.

Karamelow
Veteran
Projects: Fujiwara BitterSweet
Organization: Magic Bench/Karamelow

#8 Post by Karamelow »

Thank you very much for your compliments about my drawings (yes, I am the graphist lol), I'm very happy and very nervous at the same time! Also, this is the first time I draw full BG, I still have many gaps ... For that I apologize and I hope you enjoy anyway ^ ^
(And sorry for my bad english!)

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by try10 »

Are you kidding me? :shock: The background looks gorgeous and very professional! You are really talented. :D

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#10 Post by Arowana »

@ MelowBee
I agree with try10 - your BG is beautiful! I definitely wish I had your skills. :D I really like the new illustration of Ambre on the main menu as well.

@ Helianthus
Wah, I'm flattered to hear you liked our demo so much! Thanks for the support - that motivates us to work harder than ever! ^_^
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Dream
Regular

#11 Post by Dream »

Damn, the artist is awesome, the writer's at a similar level, and it seems their styles complement each other very well, or at least work together well for this project. Needless to say, i'm quite thrilled at this project.

I do wonder at what the hidden darkness being hinted will be, i have a hunch it will be of a supernatural sort, which could be used very effectively. I wish i could help you guys but i'm more of an artist than a composer, and you already have the artist position filled by someone light years better than me :lol:

I really like the sketches and the BG. There's only one thing though: The BG was drawn in a one-point perspective right? I feel like the tea-table and the puffy chair are a bit off-perspective. For the tea table, you might either want to increase it's height a bit (as far as i understand, it's supposed to be high enought so that you can tuck your legs under it) or reduce/flatten the upper plane of the table. Generally speaking, the bigger the space is between two perpendicular lines among two vanishing point/parallel lines, the more it will look as if the plane is facing the viewer, which can make the object look a little off. A similar advice applies to the puffy chair, but i think you could also add a vertical line emerging from the center of the plane (you need to be certain it's the center) so you can sketch/define the roundness of the chair. Uh, i hope this feedback isn't too verbose or pretentious.

I really like the coloring and lighting of the room, by the way. And again, i seriously love the sketches.

Ordog
Regular

Re: Ambre [Drama][NaNoReno 2013]

#12 Post by Ordog »

The graphist asked me to check this page, she seemed so enthusiast about this project xD
The story sounds great (And of course I don't have to comment on the graphisms). Though the summary is still too mysterious for me to comment any further on it.
I'll read it for sure. what ? you're misleading us ??

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#13 Post by Nellie »

Aro just showed me the pretty art here and I just had to drop by to tell you the background is ABSOLUTELY amazing!! @_@

Helianthus
Regular

#14 Post by Helianthus »

Main menu updated with the most recent version (it’s better with colors :D ). And we're proud to say we have a composer for the project, yeah ! I think I will talk more about our progresses next time, Melow is skteching sprites and backgrounds for the moment (also we're trying a better colorization method).

Since Melow took the time to subscribe to Lemmasoft, I will let her reply to questions about her art. Thank you everyone ^__^.
There still are some little mistakes here and there, as Dream pointed out (thank you for the advice by the way)
but I think we all agree she manages to do well with something as difficult as backgrounds :wink:
@Dream
It’s flattering but you couldn’t read the story yet, so how do you know my writing match the art X’D ? I hope so but, not everybody likes my style, so maybe it won’t be your case, who knows… :oops:
About the hidden darkness…playing with supernatural elements is a good idea but it would be too easy, wouldn’t it :p ?

@ Ordog
I think I remember your avatar/pseudo. Wasn’t you who commented on the Being Beauteous topic spotting the “Mon Amant de Saint Jean” reference some months ago ?
I didn’t know you were acquainted with Melow :o

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by try10 »

The main menu looks so awesome colored. I LOVE IT! :D