Days of the Divine [fantasy otome] [NaNoRenO 2013] COMPLETED

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
try10
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Days of the Divine [fantasy otome] [NaNoRenO 2013]

#16 Post by try10 »

Biyu is so CUTE! The characters sketches look really nice and the plot caught my interest. I'm definitely looking forward to it's release! :D

ixWishing
Veteran

#17 Post by ixWishing »

Heh, totally gonna go for Senrei~ lol
This is really interesting! I wish you luck on completing it! ^^.
- Everlasting Dreams ;

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#18 Post by Anna »

But guuuuys, Senrei is 'evil'! :D

Also, I'm sorry for being so late with this update. We kind of got into hard-dev mode, or in other words, working non-stop.

Progress
  • Script: 20.000+ words so far, one more route to go (;_; I'm new to otome games = slow) and being editted while I write on.
  • All music found.
  • Already some progress on the GUI.
CheeryMoya wrote:Nooo how could you not do the proper research? ;n; The characters for Bìyù are 碧玉, meaning "Jasper." Possible characters for Liúfàn are 劉範, and it also happens to be the name of a character in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Maru and Senrei sound more Japanese than anything and I can't find anything for them. If it's not too late to change a few names, you can look around Behind the Name for ideas.
Well, we did some basic research and looked around on such sites too, but we don't want this to be 100% historical china ^^;. In fact, the more we are writing this, the more we insert unique lore into it to make it our own thing. It's more like Fantasy-China~

Also, shame on you for not knowing where Maru's name comes from.

latte
Regular
Projects: Memories of Summer Winds, untitled KN

#19 Post by latte »

Anna wrote:Also, shame on you for not knowing where Maru's name comes from.
You do know that cat is Japanese, right? I was looking forward to this before the Japanese-sounding names. =/ It's not a matter of being "historical" or not, it's about paying proper respect to the culture and language you decided to base your story on -- unless you can make it convincing otherwise, people in a fantasy China still speak Chinese. If you're still set on those names, I recommend you just change it to "generic Asian setting" rather than stating it's majorly Chinese.

Of course, you can not mind any of this, but seeing how there's a large number of people of Chinese heritage with knowledge of the language I'd think twice about describing the project as such.

#20 Post by Guest »

It's disrespectful if you call this a historical game yet not use the language properly. You are basically saying all Asian cultures are the same and we should not make an effort to tell them apart. You can just say it's inspired by Asia. I don't even see how this is even a historical game anymore.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#21 Post by teacup »

Wait, where in the opening post did it say that this game was going to be based off of historical China?
I don't see it. Other than the " It'll be based on old Chinese settings (sorta) " quote... which implies that it isn't going to be totally factually correct.
I think they should be allowed to be as creative as they want with the setting. No one said this is going to be a 100% historical/factual game. :?

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#22 Post by Anna »

latte wrote:
Anna wrote:Also, shame on you for not knowing where Maru's name comes from.
You do know that cat is Japanese, right? I was looking forward to this before the Japanese-sounding names. =/ It's not a matter of being "historical" or not, it's about paying proper respect to the culture and language you decided to base your story on -- unless you can make it convincing otherwise, people in a fantasy China still speak Chinese. If you're still set on those names, I recommend you just change it to "generic Asian setting" rather than stating it's majorly Chinese.

Of course, you can not mind any of this, but seeing how there's a large number of people of Chinese heritage with knowledge of the language I'd think twice about describing the project as such.
Guest wrote:It's disrespectful if you call this a historical game yet not use the language properly. You are basically saying all Asian cultures are the same and we should not make an effort to tell them apart. You can just say it's inspired by Asia. I don't even see how this is even a historical game anymore.
Um, I wasn't being serious about the cat ^^;. We know he's Japanese, we were just joking because he's well known.

Sorry people but we are not changing names to be 100% Chinese correct because... well, this is not a historical game at all, it's simply inspired by a setting because we liked some things from it ^^;. We also never said this was a historical game to begin with.

EDIT: I'll edit the first post so instead of 'based on' it says 'inspired by'. Does that help?

EDIT2: I explained some things about the names by PM to people, but since it's a bit spoilerish I would rather not do it in public here too.

To prevent any more misunderstandings and problems, I'll edit the first post to say this is inspired by ancient East Asia. It's broad enough to give us some creative leeway, and gives people better expectations (hopefully).

EchoLove
Regular

#23 Post by EchoLove »

After hearing that you'd be making a nano game this year I got really excited and stalked the forums to find this and it looks GREAT xD

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#24 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Welp, when this gets done I am definitely in. Loving the character designs so far.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#25 Post by Anna »

EchoLove wrote:After hearing that you'd be making a nano game this year I got really excited and stalked the forums to find this and it looks GREAT xD
You got me curious now, where did you hear it XD?

And about time I make another update~

Progress:
Script: being polished now, but it's pretty much done (between 27k and 30k words, not sure yet)
GUI: still need to do a few things, but the textbox is done.
Art: All Liufan's poses and expressions done, preview below~
"According to the synopsis... I'm doomed. ;_;"

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#26 Post by fioricca »

... yeah okay I don't even know why it took me so long to comment here but ahhh AHHHH he's so cute

Date My Deity would have been a hilarious title asfdsadf haha

ughh man both Liufan and Senrei are my type, and that expression! Noo why is he making that troubled expression, come here and let me make everything better -- I mean uh. I do so love the robes, they're silky and gorgeous. I'm super looking forward to this!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#27 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Hello fellow chinese-themed VN devs!

I'm really looking forward to this, especially after Nanolife last year. Biyu looks so cute~ Good luck with everything.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Anna »

OK UPDATE TIME:
  • All sprites done
  • All editing done (script is ~35k words)
  • All of the GUI done
  • Titlescreen done
I'm finishing backgrounds at the speed of light now while Kiki is coding her ass off. We're going to give it our all this final week, look forward to it and have a preview in the meantime:
title screen
title screen
fioricca wrote:... yeah okay I don't even know why it took me so long to comment here but ahhh AHHHH he's so cute

Date My Deity would have been a hilarious title asfdsadf haha

ughh man both Liufan and Senrei are my type, and that expression! Noo why is he making that troubled expression, come here and let me make everything better -- I mean uh. I do so love the robes, they're silky and gorgeous. I'm super looking forward to this!
I replied late too, so this makes us even~

Thanks! Liufan has very good reasons to be troubled :'). Let's see if you can help him, hoho.
Auro-Cyanide wrote:Hello fellow chinese-themed VN devs!

I'm really looking forward to this, especially after Nanolife last year. Biyu looks so cute~ Good luck with everything.
Glad to hear it~ I'm also really excited about your project, it looks so nice already <3! Good luck in this final week, you can do it.

GO, GO, DEV-POWER~

*rushes off*

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#29 Post by chocojax »

Awww man. I've always really liked fantasy kinda stuff and romance, so I'm really looking forward to this! (I always kept glancing at this thread, haha.)

Your art is really awesome-lookin', and I'm kinda hyped up for the end of March now. :P Good luck you guys!

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran

#30 Post by Anna »

The final weekend of doom has begun! We're finishing up though. Here, have a peek at what the road to victory looks like:
road to victory.png
Now we just need to reach the finish line :D~

Progress:
Done: sprites, backgrounds, GUI, music, story, editing, basic scripting and special effects
To-do: cut-ins, the rest of the scripting + finishing the code for some game-menus (not choices) + testing (pfah, testing, ahaha...crap)
Dreams: CGs