Witch/Knight [Fantasy] [2013] [COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

Witch/Knight [Fantasy] [2013] [COMPLETE]

#1 Post by Mink »

Welcome to the thread for Witch/Knight, my NaNoRenO game this year. Yes, game, as it's meant to be actually game-like. As in, do the wrong thing and fail, and get a premature game over.

Bethlyn, a knight, has finally gotten close to her goal of meeting the goddess of rebirth, Huǒjī. While she was expecting that convincing a goddess to bring someone back to life wouldn't be easy, she may have underestimated how hard it would come to be.

Eventually, she has to ask herself: who is she, really?

Bethlyn:
Our intrepid knight, whose single-minded determination is both admirable and foolish.

Xiǎoniǎo (小鸟):
A former attendant to the goddess. He has no love lost for her.

HuǒJī (火鸡):
The goddess of rebirth. While not actively malevolent, calling her nice would be a stretch.

If you think the goddess' name is funny, you're probably right.

Elisa:
Deceased.

Other(s):
There are several demigods living in HuǒJī's forest. Like the goddess, they aren't actively malevolent or evil, but may do "off" things when bored.

(These are WIPs)

Writing/Programming: Mink

Art: AuroCyanide (!!!)

Coding help: Camille, Leon

Semi-voice acting: Rikka

Idea bouncer: Cheerymoya

Music: Here's lookin' at you, Jamendo
Last edited by Mink on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Witch/Night [Fantasy] [2013]

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Whooo! Let's get this on the road.

My schedule is as follows:

-Finish the GUI today (once I clean the house).
-1 week for sprites.
-1 week for backgrounds.
-2 weeks for CGs and everything else.

As always, I'll post updates as I go. So looking forward to getting another game done *dances jig of joy*

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

Re: Witch/Knight [Fantasy] [2013]

#3 Post by Razz »

Wow that GUI is fantastic...i also really like the name witch/knight!

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG

#4 Post by Mink »

Razz wrote:Wow that GUI is fantastic...i also really like the name witch/knight!
The name is thanks to Moya. I originally was using that as a placement title, but she like that better than the other titles I was throwing out, so I went with it. >_>

On that note: updated with 'Cyanide Orphans' logo, and a lint count:

Code: Select all

The game contains 159 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 1,229 words,
for an average of 7.7 words per screen.
The game contains 2 menus.

*Website, yo*

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#5 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Razz, Thank you :) I was originally going to do something more solid with leather and metal, but after replaying some of Skyrim I was suddenly taken by the idea of doing something more modern, so grey, black and white it was. I really like Skyrim's Menu system, it's very clean.

QUESTION! Should I include a skip and auto button as a part of the text box along with the other buttons?

This is my first time doing a GUI, so I apologise if I break conventions poorly or forget to include something. I've finished the majority of of the GUI except for the extra menu since I'm not entirely sure what we are including yet. Might be only a CG gallery and credits or something. I'm also not sure whether to use the same background for all menus or different ones. That one might depend on the time I have.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#6 Post by Anna »

Another somewhat China-inspired project with deities! I thought we were original here ;_;...

OK, OK hypothesis; there is actually a supernatural secret mind-link between all the NaNoRenO participants, whispering to them in their sleep that they should do something China-themed with deities in it.

It has to be!

Anyway, the screenshots are looking good so far and I'm looking forward to seeing this released. Good luck you guys, you can do this :D~

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by CheeryMoya »

Originally I suggested Witch/Knight to sorta parody Fate/Stay Night, but it does sound quite nice, doesn't it?
Auro-Cyanide wrote:QUESTION! Should I include a skip and auto button as a part of the text box along with the other buttons?
I'm actually not sure what the difference between Skip and Auto are, so I'd just stick with Skip. I only ever use Save, Load, Skip, and Options/Preferences while playing VNs too, so be sure to add those buttons. I have no idea what Quick Save/Load do >_>
I'm loving the minimal GUI so far, keep it up guys!

Seiia

#8 Post by Seiia »

The GUI and art is just so lovely. I'm very interested in this. :)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#9 Post by teacup »

Heh, the first thing I thought when I saw the GUI was Skyrim, and then I saw Auro's comment...
Anyway, I have full faith that this'll get finished considering the team, so I'm looking forward to playing it! >u<

fantasygeeki
Projects: Fatal Alignments
Organization: Simulated Being

#10 Post by fantasygeeki »

I'll have to bookmark this project and keep up with development! I love that this story is introducing interesting looking characters (it's fantasy so why not get creative with design?). I also love the UI design. Playing Skyrim has also influenced me towards simplistic designs.

@Auro-Cyanide, I don't know if it was a general question but I do think you should add auto and skip to the text box menu. When I use auto and skip, I tend to switch them on and off frequently so having quick access would be nice.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#11 Post by KittyKatStar »

Looks really interesting and I love the GUI. ^^

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#12 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Anna I know right? I'm so going for the collective consciousness thing. It kind of happened last year too. It is as the gods wished it obviously.
And thank you, good luck to you too!

@CheeryMoya, Thank you :D I ended up having both skip and auto, but I figure everyone can just deal with the save and load screen. I like the confirmation that it's saved XD

@Seiia, Thank you, I'm glad you like my first attempt.

@Teacup, I'll count it as a success since you recognised the source :D Hopefully everything goes smoothly and it's released. Even if it doesn't go smoothly, losing sleep can usually solve that problem XD

@Fantasygeeki, Skyrim had gorgeous design. I am very impressed by it. And thank you, I took your advice and included the skip and auto buttons with the textbox.

@KittyKatStar, thank you :)

I had a long weekend, so I thought I would get a lot of work down. But I ended spending a lot of time with my family instead, which was also great, but I didn't get as much done as I wanted to. But that's okay, I tend to get a lot of work done after work during the week anyway.

I finished the GUI design and just mocked up what I thought we might need for the Extra section. Now it's over to poor Mink to deal with the coding D: I hope I didn't make it too hard.

I've started the sprites too, though I haven't gotten very far. I'm trying not to be so up-tight with the art... not really working but oh well. I'm also using thicker lineart since I've had issues with the thinner stuff and resizing. I'm going to try and do 2 poses for them (arms generally) cause I need practice~

Veniae
Veteran

#13 Post by Veniae »

This is shaping up to be very nice, as expected from the dev team. I especially like the GUI. Good luck with meeting your deadline and have fun along the way!

(By the way, is it only me or does Cyanide Orphans sound like the name of a depressive, probably psychedelic band?)

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Mink »

Code: Select all

The game contains 442 dialogue blocks, containing 2,941 words and 15,403
characters, for an average of 6.7 words and 35 characters per block.

The game contains 8 menus, 0 images, and 12 screens.
The number is slightly misleading: only 3/8 of the current menus are story-related. The other five are "gameplay"-related. One 'game' section down, five to go.

And a similar note, I assure everyone that the game-ish* parts will make sense, unlike some games that require you to do something stupid to progress to a real/good end (I'm looking at YOU, Corpse Party). Nor will it be like some VNs where the only difference between life and death is whether or not you go to the flipping store.

*Play it and see why I put it that way
Veniae wrote:This is shaping up to be very nice, as expected from the dev team. I especially like the GUI. Good luck with meeting your deadline and have fun along the way!

(By the way, is it only me or does Cyanide Orphans sound like the name of a depressive, probably psychedelic band?)
It was that or Metal Cyanide, which sounded stupid to me. <_< That band would be so metal.

*Website, yo*

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#15 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Nearly finished with her, just need to complete her other pose, finish her shawl and do her emotions.

Figure I would try to update every day to keep me moving :-P Still not having any luck with being more loose. Also, I think I prefer my sketch, but oh well.