Flour Quest, a friendship/adventure game [NaNoRenO 2013]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
exaltedexoskeleton

Flour Quest, a friendship/adventure game [NaNoRenO 2013]

#1 Post by exaltedexoskeleton »

Alanis just wanted to borrow a cup of flour from the local hedgewitch. Yo didn't plan on being challenged by a gung-ho squire. Or having the hedgewitch ask yo to gather some herbs to trade for the flour. And then the wood sprite in charge of the herbs wanted something too... Can Alanis get everybody what they want, face monsters and bandits, and get home with the flour?

Welcome to Flour Quest, a friendship/adventure game.

It'll ultimately include 3 potential party members, 7 battles (courtesy of the Ren'Py Battle Engine), and a what-goes-around-comes-around universe- in other words, being mean to people just makes everything harder, and might cost you the game.

As for why Alanis' pronoun is yo: it's one of the only (possibly the only) naturally arising singular gender-neutral pronouns in the English language. You can get the basics about it here: http://americanspeech.dukejournals.org/ ... 2.abstract

So Alanis, and a few other non-binary-gendered characters, use yo in the game. As a non-binary person myself, it's nice to make a game that represents me.

I'll update this post with my progress. So far:

Battle Coding 0%
Script Coding: 15%
Outline: 100%
Writing: 5%
BGs: 0%
CGs: 0%
Character Art: 0%
Battle Art: 0%

vividXP
Regular
Projects: "Almost There" (NanoReno '14)

Re: Flour Quest, a friendship/adventure game [NaNoRenO 2013]

#2 Post by vividXP »

Good luck! I can't wait to play this. I totally understand the need to see media where you are represented. And this sort of fetch quest is one of my favorite kind of games, especailly since it sounds like it'll be more than just finding who wants what/who has what.

EDIT: That paper is interesting. I guess I've seen yo used that way a few times...I've never really though of it like that before. I'm used to seeing the ze/hir/e/em/etc, but that seems more academic than natural I guess.
vividxp.tumblr.com
Wọn ṣe bí òtòṣì ò gbọn bí ọlọrò; wón ní ì bá gbón ì bá lówó lọwọ / People think the poor person lacks the wisdom the wealthy person has; they say if one had wisdom, one would be rich