I'm Not His Friend [Drama] [KN]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Lennonhead
Regular
Projects: "Hinomaru", "I'm Not His Friend"

I'm Not His Friend [Drama] [KN]

#1 Post by Lennonhead »

One month until prom at an all-boys boarding school in an undisclosed Western country (the prom being supplemented by a girl's school), various students deal with issues such as tests, deception, unwanted love, and learning how to speak Polish.

Stuff happens, focusing on different groups of characters.

I can't really give a good summary. I think this will be pretty short, as I am leaving the country for 10 days this month, but I feel I should have SOMETHING finished to show that I can, in fact, get things done.

CHARACTERS

(ART COMING IN SHORT BURSTS)

FRINGE
So called because of his badly cut hair. A melancholy type, doesn't care for school outside of art classes. Has trouble with Math especially, often leading to him cheating off of other students. Friends with Step, though he is sort of rude to him.

STEP
He has large, confident strides, showing just what he thinks of himself. A polyglot, enjoys learning about linguistics and other languages. Has no ability to comprehend art. Friends with Fringe.

SPECS
Nerd, plain and simple, with thick glasses due to severe astigmatism. Loves the sciences. Recently won a school award. Well-spoken and stiff, but gets easily excitable when he is with his only friend, David.

SLICK
A delinquent, with neat, slicked-back hair and a thin, spidery body. Is sort of weak, as he has an iron deficiency. Serious at times, but likes to joke around with Jim.

JIM
A delinquent and the class clown. His name is not really Jim. Thinks he's hilarious. A skilled thief. Hangs out with Slick, who he uses as sort of a lackey.

GRIN
A weird, mysterious type with a constant yellowed smile. Seems to know a whole lot about the inner workings of the school.

SPARK
The student council president. Recently helped to overhaul the student council system. Despite his high position, is often suckered into doing menial tasks. He doesn't talk a lot, but you are let into his thoughts.

DAVID
A popular kid, handsome, tall, and good at sports. Not very booksmart. Very good at crafting a kind public image.

RAZOR
His razor-sharp intellect is overshadowed by Specs, but he doesn't care. Often plays the "white knight". Very enthusiastic about things, and does have a girlfriend.

HOW I'M DOING
Words: About two thirds done (short story!).
Pictures: Just started.
Audio: Figuring out what to do with it.
GUI: what

Lennonhead
Regular

Re: I'm Not His Friend [Drama] [KN]

#2 Post by Lennonhead »

Some sprites up.

Specs is sort of the main character, by the way.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

#3 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

I'm curious to see what the other characters look like.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#4 Post by Coren »

I'm so keeping an eye on this. XD

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#5 Post by azureXtwilight »

Very interesting premise. I'm always interested in an art style that's different with others, so I. Am. Wacthing.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by gekiganwing »

Some of your important and background characters might have nicknames. But I don't think you'll benefit by having too many of them only referred to by nicknames, unless you're striving for a cartoon-like aesthetic.
Lennonhead wrote:One month until prom at an all-boys boarding school in an undisclosed Western country (the prom being supplemented by a girl's school)...
I'm not sure what you mean by "supplemented by a girl's school." Do the two schools integrate once per year for a prom? That said, I don't know how relevant the prom is to your plot. Since you've just described the guys, I'd guess they are the important characters. (If there are no plot-relevant girls or women, then your story might pass the Bechdel Test.)

Lennonhead
Regular

#7 Post by Lennonhead »

Thank you for the comments!

gekiganwing: They all are referred to by names that aren't their own. I wanted to avoid their names tying the game to a specific location or time period or the characters to a specific ethnicity, and things like that. Just don't focus on it when reading, haha.

As for the prom, the school gets together with a different school each year to host an integrated prom. Yes, it's important to the plot.

Since this takes place in an all-boys school, basically the only important characters are male (there is one girl with a speaking role that's a member of David's after school posse).

Anyways...

Almost done writing, here's a quick lint:

Code: Select all

Statistics:

The game contains 553 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 3,778 words,
for an average of 6.8 words per screen.
The game contains 0 menus.

Lennonhead
Regular

#8 Post by Lennonhead »

My favourite "hey, I'm not dead" tactic: A SONG!!!!!

I think everything is going to be piano.

Lennonhead
Regular

#9 Post by Lennonhead »

I don't know what possessed me to start working on something for this when I was on vacation for half the month. Nevertheless, this is still a priority.