[FINISHED] Troll's Fairy Tale[GxB] [NaNoRenO 2013]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

[FINISHED] Troll's Fairy Tale[GxB] [NaNoRenO 2013]

#1 Post by Morishita »

Synopsis
Acacia is the roughest, toughest and grouchiest troll in her clan but underneath that hard and scary outward shell hides a hopeless romantic who longs to have a fairy tale love story of her own. With spring just around the corner, it is now the time for the prince and princess of all the different races and clans to venture out and search for the perfect engagement flower to give to the one they desire the most and if accepted then they will be married the night of the first full moon of spring.
Will Acacia be able to break out of her shell and find her true love? A fairy tale love story for a troll is a very strange thing indeed, because who could ever truly love a troll?

[The Troll Princess]
Acacia.png
Name: Prince Damien
unicornsprite.jpg
rough draft

[The Fairy Prince]
Name: Edavine
fairy2sprite.png

[Side characters]
Acacia's mother
Acacia's sister
Male troll
Unicorn's prince's mother

I've learned a lot from my mistakes during last years nanoreno so this time I'm going to try my hand at a smaller, and simpler story. It's not anything extreme just a fairy tale love story with humor and mushiness =^^= Hopefully I'll be able to have someone help me with proofreading the story once I'm finished because I'm not able to catch all of my mistakes all the time ^^;
I still have other visual novels that I am still working on but I wanted to take a break and work on a different story to help give my brain a rest from the stress and frustration that built up because of my other story. Here's what my game plan will look like to get everything finished in time.

Since I was able to get a demo finished last year I want to try to actually get a complete story finished this year. So instead of three different guys I will just have two guys as the love interest. Depending on how much time I have left there may or may not be sprite images for some of the supporting cast.

Total number of paths: 2

Team:
Proofreader: Kissofdeath/Narah and Cara
Artist/coder/scriptwriter: S-morishita
Last edited by Morishita on Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:58 am, edited 19 times in total.

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

Re: A Troll's Fairy Tale [Fantasy] [GxB] [NaNoRenO 2013]

#2 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

Looks like fun!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#3 Post by Hazel-Bun »

This looks really good! A nice twist on fairy tale romances which I like a lot ^^ hope to see more soon.
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Aines445
Regular

#4 Post by Aines445 »

That's a great idea for a story! It sounds so unusual, but great! The troll princess sounds so cool, a nice change for a protagonist, and I am really curious as to how will the other characters look like! I totally want to play this! ^-^

KissOfDeath
Regular
Projects: Ikofá (In Development)

#5 Post by KissOfDeath »

Ah, Morishita-san, I'm glad you're trying again this year! I'm liking the premise and the attachment's art so far. will subscribe! Looking forward to the end of March ^.^

And since I'm here, still loving Love! Love! Fighting! and I'm glad you've decided to continue it!!! :) It's my fave~! And I haven't been able to read Bottled Prince in awhile b/c I have to upgrade to premium on MM.net :roll: , but soon, very soon I will!

Anyway 頑張って, 행운을 빌어 요, Good luck! \(^-^)/
"Build your own pyramids, write your own hieroglyphs." -Kendrick Lamar
-KissOfDeath

Completed:
RE:Set Episode(s) 1 and 2 (Proofreader)
*A Troll's Fairy Tale* http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=20160 (Proofreader)

Morishita
Veteran

#6 Post by Morishita »

Flowers from Nowhere wrote:Looks like fun!
Thank you for checking out what I have so far ^^ That's very good to know!
Hazel-Bun wrote:This looks really good! A nice twist on fairy tale romances which I like a lot ^^ hope to see more soon.
I wanted to try my hand at a short romance story so hopefully it turns out to be a good read ^^; I really wanted to respond sooner with more updates but I've been so busy with writing out the codes and the script Q^Q Hopefully this rough draft image of one of the love interest will be okay for now until I can do another update. *Being a one woman team is hard work =_=*
Aines445 wrote:That's a great idea for a story! It sounds so unusual, but great! The troll princess sounds so cool, a nice change for a protagonist, and I am really curious as to how will the other characters look like! I totally want to play this! ^-^
Thank you Aines~ Her design was a lot of fun to draw too. I love her wild forest like hair. Hopefully I'll be able to match the other guy's style to the fantasy setting.
KissOfDeath wrote:Ah, Morishita-san, I'm glad you're trying again this year! I'm liking the premise and the attachment's art so far. will subscribe! Looking forward to the end of March ^.^

And since I'm here, still loving Love! Love! Fighting! and I'm glad you've decided to continue it!!! :) It's my fave~! And I haven't been able to read Bottled Prince in awhile b/c I have to upgrade to premium on MM.net :roll: , but soon, very soon I will!

Anyway 頑張って, 행운을 빌어 요, Good luck! \(^-^)/
I was really debating whether I was going to enter this year or not because I know that I make a lot of grammar and punctuation mistakes but hopefully I'll be able to find someone to donate a little of there time to proofread the story for me when it's all finished. Don't feel to bad about not being able to read the rest of Bottled Prince. Since my contract with mangamagazine ended I moved it over to my main site. Once things settle down I plan on finishing up the rest of the story so hopefully that will be a happy treat for everyone's that's been reading the story up until this point = ^^=

Update:
So far I have 5 1/2 out of 6 day's finished for the first path with the unicorn prince.
*Here is his rough sketch design*
unicornsprite.jpg
I went ahead and added the rough sketch of his design and one of the two poses he will have. After that I have to get started typing and coding up the 6 day's for the Fairy Prince's path. I have 3 out of the 7 sprites sketched up. I already have the rough idea's for the backgrounds set aside and all that's left is to narrow down the cg's. I hope that this year I'll be able to do at least 3 cg's for each of the prince's path.
Also for those of you who might be willing to help me proofread my script please feel free to send me a PM. If you're unable to that is completely fine and I just though that I should go ahead and ask for help either way ^^; Thank you for PMing me, I have my new proofreader now. ^^

Thank you everyone for leaving your comments. It really helps make all this work a lot less lonely and I hope to be able to have a finish project by the end of this month.
Last edited by Morishita on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rye
Regular
Projects: : MAlice :

#7 Post by Rye »

That's a rough sketch uvu
I'm admiring you, Morishita. The name made me laugh a lot and it's such a creative idea for a troll story. I will praying that you won't troll your fan with this.
I'm hiatus from everything for exam... Slow pace on projects. I need to write and draw..
"I'm wearing your granddad's clothes. I look incredible." - Macklemore and Ryan Lewis

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#8 Post by KittyKatStar »

Morishita wrote:*Being a one woman team is hard work =_=*
I feel bad for not posting earlier since I've been interested since day one of this thread.

I'm rooting for you, and I love the premise and the art. You can do it, Morishita! ^_^

Morishita
Veteran

#9 Post by Morishita »

Rye wrote:That's a rough sketch uvu
I'm admiring you, Morishita. The name made me laugh a lot and it's such a creative idea for a troll story. I will praying that you won't troll your fan with this.
Thank you for saying that rye ^^ I really want to get started on the other sprites but I like to have the writing done first but I'll post up the others really soon <3
KittyKatStar wrote:
Morishita wrote:*Being a one woman team is hard work =_=*
I feel bad for not posting earlier since I've been interested since day one of this thread.

I'm rooting for you, and I love the premise and the art. You can do it, Morishita! ^_^
Don't feel bad about not posting, I do the same thing to a lot of other thread's so I understand ^^ Thank you for the motivation! I do have someone else helping me with the burden of proof reading, KissofDeath has been doing an amazing job so hopefully I'll be able to have a nice and error less story ready by the end~

As for a progress report. I really wanted to wait until I had some more sprite images but here is the statisc for the writing:
Statistics:

Code: Select all

The game contains 2,680 dialogue blocks, containing 44,641 words and 227,327
characters, for an average of 16.7 words and 85 characters per block.

The game contains 3 menus, 33 images, and 20 screens.
and here are two of the 9 background images that I have finished. Instead of spending hours on hours working on details I decided to just do them like a speed painting *This is kind of my first time in a very long time that I've ever done a speed painting =_= I really need to practice more*
I still have to do a few more edits to this background
I still have 4 more day's to type up then work on some more background and other art but if I stick to my schedule then I believe I should be able to meet the deadline. There isn't much game play in the story. It's more like you get a few choices so that you can see who's path you want to do then from that you get to enjoy the rest of the path's story. For some reason I have a hard time thinking up of different path's and creative way to make choice's so I just stick to my normal pick a choice go through that path kind of way of thinking....if that makes any sense ^^; I'm kind of in a rush to make the update but I'll try to be back soon with another.

Azreal

#10 Post by Azreal »

I'm dying to play this game! It seems so interesting and it's a cute spin on a classic fairy tale. If you need any help feel free to ask. I usually beta stories anyways, so I have some experience in this type on thing. :)

Anomandaris
Regular

#11 Post by Anomandaris »

*That's* a speed painting? That looks amazingly detailed to me...I can't even imagine what your non-speedpaint backgrounds look like! Also, the character design for the troll looks fantastic; I love her color scheme and her hair!

This game sounds really interesting, and it's very impressive that you've done so much already in such a short amount of time. Can't wait to play this when it comes out!

Morishita
Veteran

#12 Post by Morishita »

Azreal wrote:I'm dying to play this game! It seems so interesting and it's a cute spin on a classic fairy tale. If you need any help feel free to ask. I usually beta stories anyways, so I have some experience in this type on thing. :)
Thank you very much! I might have to take you up on that offer if I get everything done before the deadline ^^
Anomandaris wrote:*That's* a speed painting? That looks amazingly detailed to me...I can't even imagine what your non-speedpaint backgrounds look like! Also, the character design for the troll looks fantastic; I love her color scheme and her hair!

This game sounds really interesting, and it's very impressive that you've done so much already in such a short amount of time. Can't wait to play this when it comes out!
I'm glad you like it so far! Hopefully you'll still be able to enjoy the story since it's more visual novel and doens't have a lot of game play or interactivity. ^^;

I've updated my first post and I am finished with the writing for both paths. All I have to do is add the image tags to the story but that shouldn't take long at all. Now all that is left is the graphic part. Depepending on how much time I have left I only plan on doing three cg events for each path but hopefully I can do more. We'll just have to see ^^
Here are the statistics of the whole story:

Statistics:

The game contains 3,971 dialogue blocks, containing 66,013 words and 336,272
characters, for an average of 16.6 words and 85 characters per block.

The game contains 3 menus, 33 images, and 20 screens.

Morishita
Veteran

#13 Post by Morishita »

I sneaked in some more time before my children woke up and caused chaos to do another background speedpaint. This one took me I believe a little over 2 hours.

I have 6 more backgrounds to do. I've never speed painted actually building structures so I'll have to switch back and forth between manga studio and Photoshop so that I can get the lineart for the building down then see what I can do with painting in photoshop Q^Q
My plan for today is to get 3 sprites done,1 more background done and 1 cg finished.

Azreal

#14 Post by Azreal »

Morishita wrote:
Azreal wrote:I'm dying to play this game! It seems so interesting and it's a cute spin on a classic fairy tale. If you need any help feel free to ask. I usually beta stories anyways, so I have some experience in this type on thing. :)
Thank you very much! I might have to take you up on that offer if I get everything done before the deadline ^^
Just let me now when you're done. ;)

Morishita
Veteran

#15 Post by Morishita »

YAY!! I'm finally finished! Well...I was actually finished on April 1 but it was the fact that I had to go back in and re-add in all the image codes and then go and re-size some images and quickly redo some images that I forgot that pushed me back a few days but none the less I am all finished!!

*Does happy dance*
I wanted to make a 4 koma manga page about this but I'm tired and just want to get done with the thing so maybe later ^^;
Right now I'm loading it up onto dropbox now. I'll post up the thread in the complete section once I have the window's link up and then I'll update the thread with the mac and linux version later. =D
*Yay! Thank you Narah!! We did it!!*

Statistics:

The game contains 3,435 dialogue blocks, containing 55,982 words and 285,567
characters, for an average of 16.3 words and 83 characters per block.

The game contains 3 menus, 105 images, and 17 screens.
I had to remove a few files so the number went down but I hope you all will still be able to enjoy it once it's posted up ^^;

Finished post here:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=20160