Reverse Robin (A collaborative project, join in!)

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Funnyguts
Veteran

Reverse Robin (A collaborative project, join in!)

#1 Post by Funnyguts »

Reverse Robin is a collaborative little project to have fun with during NaNo '13! For those who don't know, a round robin story has each part of a story written by a different person, making an (in)coherent whole! A reverse robin is doing the same, but starting with the ending and working back to a beginning rather than the other way around. Naturally, for this to work we'll need a few people to join in!

The Goal: To work together to create a kinetic novel, starting from the end and working our way backwards!
The Likely Result: A confusing mess that makes no sense, but we'll still have fun making and reading when it's done!

I've written the ending to a short story, and prepared some sprites and backgrounds using the submissions on the Creative Commons board of the forum. When you sign up and your turn comes around, I'll PM you the latest part of the story that's been submitted to me! (If you're the first person to join in, you'll get the ending I've written.) However, you won't get the parts of the story written before the previous entrant, nor will you see how that person used the art assets for the submission. You'll have to do your best with the resources you have to write and direct the scene immediately preceeding the one you read, as we work backwards to attempt to reach a beginning!

Some guidelines:
1) Please keep your submission between 500 and 1000 words! Also no choices or menus, let's keep it kinetic.
2) Refrain from submitting anything extremely violent, perverted, or otherwise vulgar.
3) Turns will happen in a first come first serve order. When it's your turn I'll send you a PM with the artwork and the previous story submission. To make sure this keeps moving along, please try to finish your submission within three days of the PM. I may have to skip you and move to the next person otherwise.
4) There's no pressure, so have as much fun as you want!

If you'd like to check out the sprites and backgrounds before getting started, you can grab the build here. It's an intentionally eclectic mix to go along with the inevitable confusion this kind of thing brings. Thanks to Leon, OokamiKasumi, SusanTheCat, Widget, and justblue for the free/CreativeCommons sprites and backgrounds.

Let me know if you have any questions!

lordshadowisle
Regular

Re: Reverse Robin (A collaborative project, join in!)

#2 Post by lordshadowisle »

This seems like an interesting project; you can count me in.

I have a question, though. Should the transitions between scenes be overt (to make it clear where one author begins, and another ends), or seamless (everything will flow across authors, well as best as they can anyway)?

Funnyguts
Veteran

#3 Post by Funnyguts »

lordshadowisle wrote:This seems like an interesting project; you can count me in.

I have a question, though. Should the transitions between scenes be overt (to make it clear where one author begins, and another ends), or seamless (everything will flow across authors, well as best as they can anyway)?
Great! As for transitions, you may as well make the transitions be overt since it will likely be obvious where one part begins and another ends anyway.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

#4 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Th-This sounds like so much fun !! *o*

I'd like to participate, if I may. Making a mess of a Kinetic novel sounds like fun!

Question; do we send you a script in Ren'Py format, or just a script? Or either way? (I naturally program as I write a VN, so I can easily send you Ren'Py format, with the commands of what backgrounds and sprites show up in what way, which I'd prefer). If we send in Ren'Py script, do we send you a Ren'Py script file, or copy and paste what we've done in a text file and send it to you? Thanks ^o^

Also, have all the characters been named?
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Funnyguts
Veteran

#5 Post by Funnyguts »

Kokoro Hane wrote:Th-This sounds like so much fun !! *o*

I'd like to participate, if I may. Making a mess of a Kinetic novel sounds like fun!

Question; do we send you a script in Ren'Py format, or just a script? Or either way? (I naturally program as I write a VN, so I can easily send you Ren'Py format, with the commands of what backgrounds and sprites show up in what way, which I'd prefer). If we send in Ren'Py script, do we send you a Ren'Py script file, or copy and paste what we've done in a text file and send it to you? Thanks ^o^

Also, have all the characters been named?
You can send me the script.rpy file, or just copy and paste what you've done. As long as I can see the code for sprite placement along with the script, I'll be happy. As for characters, they may or may not have names. You'll have to figure out how to work with that.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#6 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Ohohoho~ May or may not have names, eh? It makes it all the more fun and challenging! I guess it depends on the author before, unless we don't even know that, it will be a mess ^o^
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

lordshadowisle
Regular

#7 Post by lordshadowisle »

I have just completed the second chapter (or penultimate) chapter of the story! I don't think that I've damaged the continuity in any significant way (or so I hope), which is probably the best thing I can say about the chapter.

Also, if you notice the lousy character names used.... well, most of them are mine, but I had to follow suit!

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Kokoro Hane »

I have now submitted my part of the story! ^o^
It is very, very random, yet connects to a very dramatic scene. And since I do not know what sprites were used, I just had to guess in my head! Oh, I wonder how this'll look when it is all connected?
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Funnyguts
Veteran

#9 Post by Funnyguts »

We're on our third collaborator, but we could always use more! Trust me, this story is getting more interesting by the day.

Miyuki
Regular
Completed: Culina: The Spirit of Cooking
Organization: TangerineTriangle

#10 Post by Miyuki »

This story is really really fun to work on! It'd be great if we could get to a point where it feels like a full story. The more people who work on this, the better! :D

Funnyguts
Veteran

#11 Post by Funnyguts »

It's going well, and there's two people currently in the queue. There's still two weeks left before NaNo ends, so don't be shy in joining up!

Aines445
Regular

#12 Post by Aines445 »

Funnyguts wrote:It's going well, and there's two people currently in the queue. There's still two weeks left before NaNo ends, so don't be shy in joining up!
Can I join then? I don't really know how to "Sign up", so I'm assuming that it's by PM or that I could post here that I want to, but I don't really know X.X. It's a very fun idea, I can just imagine when it gets completed and you read everything and it makes no sense whatsoever XD. It's by turns, right? Since I'm online pretty much everyday, I don't think I'll have any problems doing this. ^-^

Funnyguts
Veteran

#13 Post by Funnyguts »

Aines445 wrote:
Funnyguts wrote:It's going well, and there's two people currently in the queue. There's still two weeks left before NaNo ends, so don't be shy in joining up!
Can I join then? I don't really know how to "Sign up", so I'm assuming that it's by PM or that I could post here that I want to, but I don't really know X.X. It's a very fun idea, I can just imagine when it gets completed and you read everything and it makes no sense whatsoever XD. It's by turns, right? Since I'm online pretty much everyday, I don't think I'll have any problems doing this. ^-^
Just saying you want to join is enough! I'll let you know when your turn comes around.

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Hey, just wondering....will the final word count be revealed at the end of the project? I am kinda curious how long it'll be in the end.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

Funnyguts
Veteran

#15 Post by Funnyguts »

Kokoro Hane wrote:Hey, just wondering....will the final word count be revealed at the end of the project? I am kinda curious how long it'll be in the end.
Yeah, I'll add that in, don't worry.