NaNoRenO Cheat Sheet & FAQ

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Erotome
Regular
Projects: Paws & Effect, RE4: Otome Edition
Organization: Shimmersoft
Tumblr: erotomesoft
Deviantart: Erotome

Re: NaNoRenO Cheat Sheet & FAQ

#16 Post by Erotome »

Not sure if this was the correct place to ask, and I'm sorry if it isn't, but is there a deadline for when you announce your project for NaNo 2016?
Play the demo our latest game, Paws & Effect: My Dogs Are Human!

LateWhiteRabbit
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: The Space Between

#17 Post by LateWhiteRabbit »

Erotome wrote:Not sure if this was the correct place to ask, and I'm sorry if it isn't, but is there a deadline for when you announce your project for NaNo 2016?
Don't think so! Just jump in, post a progress thread, and try to get something released before April 1st.

Erotome
Regular
Projects: Paws & Effect, RE4: Otome Edition
Organization: Shimmersoft
Tumblr: erotomesoft
Deviantart: Erotome

#18 Post by Erotome »

LateWhiteRabbit wrote:Don't think so! Just jump in, post a progress thread, and try to get something released before April 1st.
Thanks much White Rabbit!
Play the demo our latest game, Paws & Effect: My Dogs Are Human!

Mammon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pervert&Yandere, Stalker&Yandere
Projects: Roses Of The Thorn Prince

#19 Post by Mammon »

Hi, sorry for posting so early on a whole section that is supposed to be dead until februari but I prefer to find these things out early.

So, I know that the rules are pretty clear in that we're not supposed to begin with the components of a Nanoreno project that will actually be part of the game before March 1st, but I was wondering whether the following would be okay: All the way back in Juli I came up with this idea for a story named 'Stalker&Yandere' and started to write out the summary for it. I ended up writing the entire script by the next day, and reading through it I thought that it would make a good Nanoreno project due to it's small size, and manageable art and programming requirements. So I used that second day to rewrite the story and add as much script-code as I could, and then closed it. I haven't opened the file since. I wrote the story in two days and not a minute more. Considering that, would it be okay for it to be a Nanoreno17 project if the project would continue on the 3th of March rather than the 1st?

I'm asking because while I'm seeing plenty of hints that the deadline isn't too strict and that many rules have loosened since 2006, the start date rule seems to be a pretty strict one. I swear hand on my heart that I did not open the file since I wrote it, but it's still a loophole at best and a breach of the rules at worse. But considering the very purpose of Nanoreno is to help starting developers getting their feet wet and I'll be aiming to recruit people who haven't gotten much experience under their belt or haven't been able to work with a group that finished a project before scrapping it, I was hoping for the former. And I think there'll be plenty of newbie people who'd benefit from a project where they don't have to wait for the writer and can determine whether they can handle the workload before even applying to join the project (I'll open the file around Februari 10th just to count all the sprites and CG etc. and add those to the recruitment thread OP, so they'll know exactly what they'll have to do that month.)

So, 'Nanoreno2017 Stalker&Yandere'; Yay or nay?
ImageImageImage

Want some CC sprites?

Arma

#20 Post by Arma »

Hey uh, are we allowed to make a point and click game that's heavy on writing? Or does it have to be a traditional VN?

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#21 Post by Hijiri »

Arma wrote:Hey uh, are we allowed to make a point and click game that's heavy on writing? Or does it have to be a traditional VN?
Anything and everything is fair game.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

allurious
Regular

#22 Post by allurious »

Made some minor edits for 2017, as always please let me know if anything should be added! \o

EscapistHowl
Projects: MamoteMi: Moonlight / Failed quest
Tumblr: EscapistHowl
Deviantart: EscapistHowl

#23 Post by EscapistHowl »

I have a question! Is there a limit on how much NSFW a game can be? I have an average audience of the hentai community so I want to make a VN for them but I'm not sure it's against the rules or something o.o

allurious
Regular

#24 Post by allurious »

There have been adult/NSFW games in the past, so I doubt there are any rules around that!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#25 Post by Zelan »

EscapistHowl wrote:I have a question! Is there a limit on how much NSFW a game can be? I have an average audience of the hentai community so I want to make a VN for them but I'm not sure it's against the rules or something o.o
There are no rules at all against making a hentai game. The only rule would be (if you decide to post in the NaNo WIP forum) that you wouldn't be able to show any NSFW images. c: