The Mishka Effect [2014] [Time Loop] [Comedy]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

The Mishka Effect [2014] [Time Loop] [Comedy]

#1 Post by kaleidofish »

The Mishka Effect

Mishka Florentine's been having a bad week. He's got an eviction notice on his apartment, his friend Veronica Blast won't give him the time of day, his new co-worker's giving him the creeps, and he even narrowly avoided being killed by a bloody stranger. When he finds a shack in the woods that seems to put him back in time by three days, he thinks he can turn all his luck around.

...But things aren't always that simple when you're playing with time.

* Characters:

Mishka Florentine: our down-on-his-luck hero. Doesn't always think things through. Mostly good-natured. Afraid of the police for...reasons.

Veronica Blast: Mishka's science-loving friend who is tired of his excuses. The eviction notice was the last straw for her.

Aaaanddd mooooore!

* Progress:

I've got a semi-complete outline that you can read here. Avoid it if you don't want spoilers! If you do take a look at it, let me know what you think. I'm going to start writing for this later tonight. I wanted to get a thread up before I won't have the time to make one, haha. Expect it to be prettied up later.

* Team:

Writer, Coder, What-not: kaleidofish
Sprites: shortycake NEW!
Logo & GUI & Related Coding: Duskylli
Editor: arachni42
Eagle Eyes: dretchlord & KaenSe4
Music: Shoko
CG Artist: shortycake

WITH OUR POWERS COMBINED, WE FORM... The Mishka Effect, a silly time loop (a little different than time travel) adventure. :D

* Other:

If any of you played the "Balancing Act" story from Adversity Comp way back in 2012 (yeah, that was me), this was inspired by the time traveling portion of that story! I'm working on this as well as a route for another Nanoreno project, but I am supremely confident that I can get the writing for both done. You'll be seeing The Mishka Effect on April 1st, no matter what. :)
Last edited by kaleidofish on Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:20 am, edited 7 times in total.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Fungii
Veteran
Completed: Home's Embrace
Projects: Royality TV
Tumblr: fungiidraws
itch: fungii

Re: The Mishka Effect [2014] [Time Loop]

#2 Post by Fungii »

kaleidofish wrote:You'll be seeing The Mishka Effect on April 1st, no matter what. :)
Not if I....SABOTAGE IT
AHAHAHA

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#3 Post by Googaboga »

Wow this sounds like a very good time.

I'd rather not be spoiled so I won't read the outline. But good luck to all of you ^^.

Also I hope this doesn't sound rude but 'Veronica Blast' really sounds like the title of a TV show to me 'XD.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)

#4 Post by kaleidofish »

Fungii wrote:
kaleidofish wrote:You'll be seeing The Mishka Effect on April 1st, no matter what. :)
Not if I....SABOTAGE IT
AHAHAHA
FUNGII NOOOOOO

sobbing.gif
Googaboga wrote:Wow this sounds like a very good time.

I'd rather not be spoiled so I won't read the outline. But good luck to all of you ^^.

Also I hope this doesn't sound rude but 'Veronica Blast' really sounds like the title of a TV show to me 'XD.
Oh no, not rude at all! I was actually going for a cartoony effect with all of their names. Florentine's a type of cooking. Pasta florentine's especially good if you're looking for a lighter dish. It's very healthy...although, I'm way more into fettuccine alfredo. Oh no, now I'm tempted to name Veronica after pasta, too. Ahhhh.

I made some progress on the script, but not very much since I'm visiting my family. Once I'm back in my apartment, I'll be able to work faster. I wrote about 300 words so far...although most of it is STRUGGLING. I wrote a second version of the opener to see if that would lessen the struggle. Work will resume Sunday night!

Good news! arachni42 is joining the Mishka crew as our Editor. YES! Let's make her feel welcome. :D Be sure to check out her Nanoreno project I, Miku. I'll be sending her a batch of words on Tuesday, I hope!
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

#5 Post by Steamgirl »

Intrigued by this project! The premise and the time-loop are bound to make it very very interesting.
Is it going to be one of those where you can endlessly play/reset by 3 days until you get to the "correct" ending?
Is it possible to accidentally make all the right decisions on the first playthrough or do new option open up each time you reset?

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#6 Post by leon »

I really like the idea of a time loop. And with you and Fungii teamed up I'm sure you make something great! :D
kaleidofish wrote:I was actually going for a cartoony effect with all of their names.
By the way, mishka (written miška) means "little mouse" in Slovenian. I think it also means "teddy bear" in Russian.

desulishor
Regular
Completed: Project Dualis, Of Valkyries and Life
Projects: Project Scribble [on hiatus] Project Aivisu (WIP) Seven Seasons (WIP)

#7 Post by desulishor »

I've always loved modern times -stories combined with a supernatural mechanic of some kind, be it thought-reading, personality-sharing, or time travel like here. It gives you something to relate to and something to amuse your mind with, at the same time.
My list is not huge, but this one is definitely on my list for NaNos I want to read after March.

(I don't have a whole lot of free time, but I might be able to offer some editing help. Up to the author, really.)

marimo
Regular

#8 Post by marimo »

S-so many nice projects...XD I don't want to spam this board so much but...eeee. I can't wait for this one either. <3
ImageHonest Critique | Personal Art Thread (inactive tbh)
ImageCurrent Projects:
ImageAvailability: Commissions - Open

shortycake
Regular
Completed: Night in the Cottage
Projects: The Mishka Effect, Nocturnal Affair, Lethe, Alice in Neverland, Behind the Doll's eyes[WIP]
Deviantart: shortpencil
itch: shortycake

#9 Post by shortycake »

Very intriguing. I can't wait to play it!~ ^//7//^)/

thekobester11
Regular
Completed: none >.<
Projects: experimenting renpy as of this moment

#10 Post by thekobester11 »

Always been a huge fan of time loops... since Steins Gate
Really looking forward to this! :D

kaleidofish
Veteran

#11 Post by kaleidofish »

Steamgirl wrote:Intrigued by this project! The premise and the time-loop are bound to make it very very interesting.
Is it going to be one of those where you can endlessly play/reset by 3 days until you get to the "correct" ending?
Is it possible to accidentally make all the right decisions on the first playthrough or do new option open up each time you reset?
Mishka will be going back quite a few times in the hopes of finding his "correct" ending. It won't be endless, though, since every time he goes back he's risking THE FABRIC OF TIME AND SPACE. He won't get things right the first time! But every time he goes, he gets some more information. Players will have options to take throughout his story, yes.
leon wrote:I really like the idea of a time loop. And with you and Fungii teamed up I'm sure you make something great! :D
kaleidofish wrote:I was actually going for a cartoony effect with all of their names.
By the way, mishka (written miška) means "little mouse" in Slovenian. I think it also means "teddy bear" in Russian.
Hi, Leon!!! Thank you! Also, WHOA, you gave me an amazing idea. There's a nursery rhyme that goes: "hickory, dickory, dock, The mouse ran up the clock." Mishka is the little mouse who runs up the clock over and over again. GENIUS! I will work this into the story somehow. Thank you for the inspiration! I was aware of the teddy bear translation, but not the little mouse one. Awesome!
desulishor wrote:I've always loved modern times -stories combined with a supernatural mechanic of some kind, be it thought-reading, personality-sharing, or time travel like here. It gives you something to relate to and something to amuse your mind with, at the same time.
My list is not huge, but this one is definitely on my list for NaNos I want to read after March.

(I don't have a whole lot of free time, but I might be able to offer some editing help. Up to the author, really.)
Oh yeah, this story is definitely aiming to amuse, which reminds me that I should tack on the [Comedy] tag. Thank you so much for putting The Mishka Effect on your to-read list. Mishka's a whacky narrator, but I'm sure someone might be able to relate to him, haha. I'll get in touch if I need the extra help.
marimo wrote:S-so many nice projects...XD I don't want to spam this board so much but...eeee. I can't wait for this one either. <3
shortycake wrote:Very intriguing. I can't wait to play it!~ ^//7//^)/
thekobester11 wrote:Always been a huge fan of time loops... since Steins Gate
Really looking forward to this! :D
Thank you, everyone! <3 If we don't get this done by April 1st, I will personally shove my teammates and myself into the time machine, go back to March 29th, and then get the project done for real! As for progress...

Last week, the first 4000 words were sent to the Magnificent Fantastical Editor. I got them back a few days ago. I'm working on the next section of the story, which will then be passed to arachni either today or tomorrow. The Write-Edit-Write-Edit ball game is going strong!!

Magical Mystical Dusk has been hard at work with many GUI concepts. They're all looking good. Let's see if Dusk will post something...delicious in this thread. ;) I won't steal Dusk's thunder by putting the treat into this thread, hehe.

We might have some Eagle Eyes join us! I'll let them introduce themselves because self-intros are FUN.

Super Saiyan Fungii made some concept sketches for Mishka the other day. We are in the midst of planning the rest of the sprite work. Check out Mishka - he's looking gooooood. (Yay, now the thread won't be so bare.)
Mishka Concept Art
Mishka Concept Art
Thanks again for the support, everyone! I'm having a lot of fun working on this. :D

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

Re: The Mishka Effect [2014] [Time Loop] [Comedy]

#12 Post by Duskylli »

Hmm...maybe I'll post the delicious thing next time and sneak in some of K-fish's writing if anyone is interested.
Attachments
Mishka Save Screen.png

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#13 Post by Haze »

That's some nice GUI, Duskylli! :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

Duskylli
Regular
Completed: The Mishka Effect, Fairly Dangerous.
Projects: Palette Swap

#14 Post by Duskylli »

Thanks Haze! Your comment gave me a major energy boost :D Now I feel like I can tackle some more coding.
Attachments
Mishka logo.png

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#15 Post by ketskari »

The story concept sounds interesting and so far the GUI looks gorgeous. Good luck! :)