Dulcet: Radio Suite [NaNoRenO 2014] [Romance/Friendship] 3/9

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Luce Jumble
Regular
Projects: By Angelic Invitation, ...

Dulcet: Radio Suite [NaNoRenO 2014] [Romance/Friendship] 3/9

#1 Post by Luce Jumble »

Dulcet logo.png
Title •• Dulcet: Radio Suite

Genre •• Romance and Friendship

Format •• VN

Setting •• War has broken out in our lovely city. After the mafia's sudden takeover of the populous city Grayton, a few changes have been made. 1) Everybody belongs to a family. 2) You don't cross family. But don't feel stressed, there are more than enough of us in our Metropolitan city who'd be delighted to have you. Take your pick and don't be too quick to trust anyone... And don't forget to get back to work!

Summary •• A quiet accountant working in a 10-storey building is struck unconscious during a security breach, only to wake up and see the silent ruins of what used to be her workplace. Unable to go home and unsure of what to do, she takes refuge at the 10th floor of the building. But it seems she’s not the only one there?
Characters:
chantall.png
shh it's manly chest hair lol
shh it's manly chest hair lol
Chantall Yeung •• 26
"Doesn't the sky ever seem too far away?"
Born and raised in the city of Grayton, Yeung witnessed all; the fall of the previous government and the rise of the first mafia families—even the start of the current "war." Her father used to work for the Golden Dragon, along with her mother, opening up a fairly comfortable spot in the syndicate for her. However, her gentle nature and reluctance to violence made her a bad fit for an integrative part. So, she was awarded the position of treasury.

She works a cubicle job which she hates dearly. The thought of quitting has crossed her mind many times, but that of living unemployed in this sort of environment has been enough to keep her working late nights.

Cesar de la Torre •• 27
"Wha'did you just say t'me?! No, seriously..."
A man thought to be very intimidating by his colleagues, Cesar is a reserved person who just wants to be left alone. He's not particularly the best in his work, and often finishes things quite sloppily, but in his defence, nothing seems to be stopping him. He leaves work early quite frequently and is never reprimanded. In a city like this, though, who's to blame anyone?

He gives anyone that doesn't look him in the eye the silent treatment, and is often in positions that don't face anyone. Very blunt and honest with an obvious potential for high quality work, it's almost unfortunate that he is missing from his station most of the time.
He may hold quite a few secrets, but the one that has been causing him a bit of trouble is his recent loss of hearing.
Progress:
Art: 15%
Music: 0%
Writing: 30% out of 5,000 words
Coding: 0%

Questions:
1) How do you feel about what you've seen of this VN so far?
2) Does having one menu in the game (for two different endings) seem too low?

Any comments/suggestions/etc. welcome YvY)/
Last edited by Luce Jumble on Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Moved to Aurehan

Steamgirl
Veteran
Completed: My Cup of Coffee, Queen at Arms (co-wrote a battle scene)
Projects: Stranded Hearts, Emma: A Lady's Maid
Deviantart: steamgirlgame

Re: Dulcet: Radio Suite [NaNoRenO 2014] [Romance/Friendship]

#2 Post by Steamgirl »

1) Looks gorgeous! Setting sounds fascinating! Will the protagonist already belong to a family at the start of the game?

2) It's a bit low for my tastes. But then I'm the person who has 27 menus for 7000 words - that's an average of 250 words per menu! To be honest, quality always matters more than quantity. If the player makes only one decision in the entire game but this decision is a kind of life-or-death-importance decision then that's perfectly fine. I'd hate it if it was a "take an umbrella/don't take an umbrella" kind of decision that then completely changes the story outcome. But that's personal taste.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#3 Post by Googaboga »

1) How do you feel about what you've seen of this VN so far?

Woo I feel great. It looks/sounds fantastic X3. The designs are so lovely~

That is low for my taste but having at least one choice still makes me happy :3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Armee
Veteran

#4 Post by Armee »

(,, ・∀・)ノ゛ Ohai, you're fast, even I didn't have the chance to bring my thread up yet.
Oh man, you have a megane-complex, aren't you? It's okay, I understand ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
Wish you good luck with this ( I'm already say that before _φ( °-°)/) I like Yeung more than Caser for unknown reason.
1, I don't know why but I have a little feel of Rose Gun Day about this for no reason. It's a setting feel. I guess you will reveal why she will end up there during the game, so that's no question but I'm very curious about this. But overall the characters are great in their own way.
2, Personally, I don't really mind about that. Even if you give the reader no choice, I will happily read it either way ≖‿≖ Like they said, a choice can change a lot.

Note: Manly Cesar with manly chest hair ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ)

Luce Jumble
Regular
Projects: By Angelic Invitation, ...

#5 Post by Luce Jumble »

I feel like his shoulders are too small?
I feel like his shoulders are too small?
main_demo.png
settings_demo.png
Steamgirl wrote:1) Looks gorgeous! Setting sounds fascinating! Will the protagonist already belong to a family at the start of the game?

2) It's a bit low for my tastes. But then I'm the person who has 27 menus for 7000 words - that's an average of 250 words per menu! To be honest, quality always matters more than quantity. If the player makes only one decision in the entire game but this decision is a kind of life-or-death-importance decision then that's perfectly fine. I'd hate it if it was a "take an umbrella/don't take an umbrella" kind of decision that then completely changes the story outcome. But that's personal taste.
Thank you for the feedback!! Yes, Chantall belongs to the Golden Dragon. I would have liked the character to choose, but seeing as I'm short on time for NaNo this year, it didn't seem like something I could handle. I'm still playing around with the idea, but it'll be something significant if it gets into the game; it probably won't be "take an umbrella/don't take an umbrella." It'll be "eat take-out/make a sandwich."
Googaboga wrote:1) How do you feel about what you've seen of this VN so far?

Woo I feel great. It looks/sounds fantastic X3. The designs are so lovely~

That is low for my taste but having at least one choice still makes me happy :3.
Thank you for being honest! I was a bit worried, since it might seem almost pointless, but it always takes me a lot of time to plan out how choices add up and I wanted a game that gives it to you straight "this ending" or "this ending"
Armee wrote:(,, ・∀・)ノ゛ Ohai, you're fast, even I didn't have the chance to bring my thread up yet.
Oh man, you have a megane-complex, aren't you? It's okay, I understand ┬┴┬┴┤(・_├┬┴┬┴
Wish you good luck with this ( I'm already say that before _φ( °-°)/) I like Yeung more than Caser for unknown reason.
1, I don't know why but I have a little feel of Rose Gun Day about this for no reason. It's a setting feel. I guess you will reveal why she will end up there during the game, so that's no question but I'm very curious about this. But overall the characters are great in their own way.
2, Personally, I don't really mind about that. Even if you give the reader no choice, I will happily read it either way ≖‿≖ Like they said, a choice can change a lot.

Note: Manly Cesar with manly chest hair ԅ(≖‿≖ԅ)
Omg lol Toyo that face jahsjd I—yes failed chest hair and megane-complex cries just because
Ahahah not fast, just really excited. I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE YOURS, LADY ??
I had to look up Rose Gun Day because Bun also mentioned it and akjdhfj now I'm afraid of making things sound too similar???? Though I do love mafia stuff so I have to thank you guys for introducing me ohonhonhon—/slapped/ I'm glad you like Chantall, though! Thanks for all of the feedback!

Aha! Yes, you get me xD there is power in the choices we make! But I really am going to see what happens towards the end of the script. I wanted to keep opinions in mind in case I wanted to do that. It might end up just becoming a KN, but I honestly can't choose between the endings I have in mind! D:

---

Yay, and here's the weekly update!
The word-count is dancing along the 1,500 mark! It's a little slow, but my goal is 5,000 words so I'm feeling good.

Cesar's getting two/three poses, and a blink cycle so I still have a long ways to go, sprite-wise. I know what I want for backgrounds, but I'll have to finish sprites before deciding how I want to go with them(drawn or filtered).

The colors for the previous logo were too happy, so I tried toning it down for the GUI. I'm thinking that the UI colors look ok, but it may just be because I've been staring at them for so long? Or maybe things look too cluttered? Any suggestions/comments are welcome.
Moved to Aurehan

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#6 Post by Hazel-Bun »

AHHHHHHHHHH- ; o; how is everything so gorgeous!!? Even their hair is shining! I love the GUI and this sounds like a really cute story as well. For 5,000, one choice isn't that bad at all. Though if you make it a KN, will it be one of those empty choices that don't effect the plot or...?

I agree that his shoulders are a little small to hold up his gorgeous face. No worries about the Rose Gun Days "similarities". It stops and ends at the word mafia and slick looking cool cats like Ceaser lol

Can't wait to see more, keep it up! *runs to hide poor excuse for a GUI from the public's eyes amg-*
I really shouldn't have but, I laughed really hard when I read Ceaser's dialouge and then the fact that he's going or is deaf. I'm a terrible person *sobs*
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.