The Lady Minus Y [cross-dressing Otome, mystery] [2014]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Victoria
Regular
Projects: The Lady Minus Y

The Lady Minus Y [cross-dressing Otome, mystery] [2014]

#1 Post by Victoria »

[center]Ariel Wellstone was gratified at first glance, having just enrolled into an all-boys school, famous for its great SAT scores and getting students into colleges of their own choice. Ariel was a dashing young lad, well-read and well-bred, anxious to tackle the opportunities of rigorous studying, new friendships and convincing people Ariel was a manly name.
Ariel Wellstone was also a girl, which sort of made the latter task much more difficult.
Used to the thankless life of spies and sleeping on all kinds of bunks with her parents, this is the first assignment she will have to face on her own - either succeeding or failing miserably. Of course, things would be much easier (or harder?) if it weren't for those real-life, definitely-not-literary boys...
[/center][/color]

Ariel Wellstone

Image Image

The main heroine. She's an only child, which means she was tutored most of her life and never went to real school. Most of the things she knows about the world come from the books and Disney animated movies. She is a romantic, but will try to hide it – for one, because she’s been taught never to divert attention to herself, and for two, because she’s trying to remain true to her character in that school. Her lack of knowledge about social interactions makes her a bit naïve, but she makes up for it by her knowledge about other uncommon things. Her reserved behavior also resulted from her upbringing. A great fan of lions.

Liam Murray

Ariel's new roommate and a really open person. Loves teasing people and flirting with them; says what’s on his mind without censoring anything most of the time. He’s pansexual - just because the main heroine is (supposed to be) a guy, he definitely won’t mind (he falls in love with people’s personality, not their gender). The school isn’t strict when it comes to dress code and people don’t shun other sexualities, but other guys sometimes avoid him since they feel embarrassed thanks to his sometimes improper comments. He grew up in a big family, is the youngest child and has three older sisters. He has always been the family pet and went to this school mostly because he wanted to get away a bit from the feminine influence. Extremely terrified of ladybugs.

Hunter Fleming

The guy next door. Mostly quiet and might seem restrained, but not shy. Enjoys the silence, speaks when he finds it necessary. Very loyal and emotionally connected to his family, has a little brother Hugh whom he adores and who looks up to him. Loves the shooting games since he has a good eye, but has never shot anything alive. When he gets used to a person, he talks much more. Loves action movies, runs in the evenings, plays console and computer games, a great animal lover. Appreciates the things that require patience, but still has great reflexes. Might be prone to suffocating you with the pictures of his cats (or any cat really).

Noah Chandler

An intelligent guy who will make sure you know it or at least follow almost every one of your comments with a smirk. He’s got the best grades, goes to plenty of brain-requiring competitions and wins them all. He's roommates with Hunter, and oddly, they get along fairly well. He reads a lot, but doesn’t waste much time on fiction. He finds Internet fascinating, but sadly unreliable. He quite possibly needs glasses, but refuses to “defer to an ultimate cliché”. He might overindulge in classical music, claiming it’s good for his brain. And nuts. Vitamin E and all.

Mr. Evan Baxter

The headmaster. Wants to get along with his students and know them at least somewhat personally (as he obviously doesn’t have a better job). He’s a bit suspicious about the main character since she transferred in the middle of the year. Has a sweet tooth and always goes around offering candy to everybody.

... And a few more!

So there you go. The name is still tentative, so suggestions are welcome, as well as people offering help (there aren't any BG artists that can produce plenty of backgrounds in a short time? No?). I really hope we will be able to finish it in time, since this is a big project for only a month, but yeah... The sketches were made by Tag, who is our sprite artist, and the CGs will be made by aestate. I am of course the grateful writer who's delighted to work with such people =D
I will be uploading this thread (and this post) as the time goes, replacing sketches with the sprites and such. And now I'll get back to work =)
Last edited by Victoria on Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Click here for a cross-dressing Otome!

Flowers from Nowhere
Regular
Completed: The Crystal Castle
Projects: My Ninja Life

Re: Lady Minus Y [GxB, Mystery, Romance] [NaNoRenO 2014]

#2 Post by Flowers from Nowhere »

I'm confused as to the gender identity of the protagonist. Is this classic anime/manga-style cross-dressing for hijinks or is she transgender and identifies as male?

Victoria
Regular

Re: Lady Minus Y [GxB, Mystery, Romance] [NaNoRenO 2014]

#3 Post by Victoria »

Hahah, I thought that the sketches would clear that up. Anyways, she's a girl who's also a spy. But as her new assignment includes the all-boys school, she has to pretend to be a guy so she could enroll there. =)

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: The Lady Minus Y [cross-dressing Otome, mystery] [2014]

#4 Post by try10 »

A girl going to an all boys school... I've seen a bunch of movies and dramas about crossdressing girls and stuff. I hope this game is going to be nice and not too predictable. I'll be waiting for more updates. Good luck! :)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#5 Post by noeinan »

Awesome, I love stories with female cross dressing. :D

So, how is she on the feminine scale? With a 1-2 being super butch/Ladette, 3-5 being levels of Bifauxnen, 6-8 being Sweet Poly Oliver, and 9-10 being Mayo Chiki.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#6 Post by Googaboga »

The sketches look very nice and I'm curious to find out what Ariel's assignment there is :3. Although is it explained why she has to go and not a spy who is actually male? Because it does seem a little strange to make her do it considering the situation, especially considering this is also her very first assignment by herself.

Well best of luck to you ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Victoria
Regular

#7 Post by Victoria »

try10, I hope we don't disappoint you!
daikiraikimi wrote:Awesome, I love stories with female cross dressing. :D

So, how is she on the feminine scale? With a 1-2 being super butch/Ladette, 3-5 being levels of Bifauxnen, 6-8 being Sweet Poly Oliver, and 9-10 being Mayo Chiki.
Well, looking at those links, I would say that she's more of a "Sweet Poly Oliver", if I got it right; she dresses when her mission requires it or when she's training or just to improve her masking skills.
Googaboga wrote:The sketches look very nice and I'm curious to find out what Ariel's assignment there is :3. Although is it explained why she has to go and not a spy who is actually male? Because it does seem a little strange to make her do it considering the situation, especially considering this is also her very first assignment by herself.
It's more the matter of a test than sending someone who's more appropriate. First thing first, she's been in that business for a while, though nothing seriously, simply because both her parents are; if only one parent dealt with that job, they might have been able to hide it, but since they both are, they hardly had other choice but to tell her the truth. Do acknowledge that this particular situation is pretty rare, people mostly start training or get noticed when they are somewhat older, so there aren't really that many teenagers in that business. The second reason is that spies often have to disguise themselves, which may sometimes require cross-dressing; even if she failed the mission but still succeeded to convince the whole school that she was a guy, they would still take her into consideration for accepting her in. She's still not a real spy; this assignment is a much lighter one than she would get if she was older, and the leading figures don't consider it "an important task", more like a test to see what she can do (while they take away her parents for something more serious). She doesn't know almost anything about them, she is no issue to them, so if she simply wanted to give up and pursue some other career, she still has a chance since she has never signed any contract.

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by noeinan »

That makes sense, moreso than if she was hired as an actual spy. (Although, as a vn I would give some slack for teenaged spies, haha.)

Something that might push the "authenticity" of the spy disguise as opposed to more... Silly reasons for cross-dressing would be to research the FtM (Female to Male Transgender) community and add some tidbits of how she prepares etc. (Binders, STP devices, packers, etc.) I think it would be interesting, at least!

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#9 Post by Googaboga »

Thanks for the explanation :3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

Victoria
Regular

#10 Post by Victoria »

daikiraikimi wrote:That makes sense, moreso than if she was hired as an actual spy. (Although, as a vn I would give some slack for teenaged spies, haha.)

Something that might push the "authenticity" of the spy disguise as opposed to more... Silly reasons for cross-dressing would be to research the FtM (Female to Male Transgender) community and add some tidbits of how she prepares etc. (Binders, STP devices, packers, etc.) I think it would be interesting, at least!
Thanks, I checked it out =D She's wearing a binder (her having a small cup size also helps) and a wig (her hair is long, but isn't that thick so she can still cover it easily), I don't think packers and STP devices are that necessary since she won't be wearing any tight clothes and I doubt someone is going to feel her up, hahah =D (Although, who knows...)

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by noeinan »

Maybe not packers, then, but if she'll be using public restrooms an STP (Stand to Pee) device would be a good idea. Otherwise guys might start rumors about why she pees in a stall.

Urinals are actually really weird, socially. I won't go too into it since most people don't want to read about bathroom politics, but let's just say I have gotten into many arguments about why standing to pee is necessary and many guys feel very strongly about it.

Victoria
Regular

#12 Post by Victoria »

daikiraikimi wrote:Maybe not packers, then, but if she'll be using public restrooms an STP (Stand to Pee) device would be a good idea. Otherwise guys might start rumors about why she pees in a stall.

Urinals are actually really weird, socially. I won't go too into it since most people don't want to read about bathroom politics, but let's just say I have gotten into many arguments about why standing to pee is necessary and many guys feel very strongly about it.
That's a good point, but aren't teens a bit self-conscious? They are still underage and all, I don't think they would care so much whether someone goes to a stall or pees in the urinals. I am not a guy, so I can't know for sure, of course!

Anyways, the project is going smoothly. I'm at almost 6000 words right now and the main heroine hasn't even met all the guys O.o This could turn rather lengthy if I continue like this...

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by noeinan »

Victoria wrote:
daikiraikimi wrote:Maybe not packers, then, but if she'll be using public restrooms an STP (Stand to Pee) device would be a good idea. Otherwise guys might start rumors about why she pees in a stall.

That's a good point, but aren't teens a bit self-conscious? They are still underage and all, I don't think they would care so much whether someone goes to a stall or pees in the urinals. I am not a guy, so I can't know for sure, of course!

Anyways, the project is going smoothly. I'm at almost 6000 words right now and the main heroine hasn't even met all the guys O.o This could turn rather lengthy if I continue like this...
From my understanding, it is precisely because they're self-conscious that they don't want to do anything outside of the norm. Like, you use the urinals. If there is someone there, you always take a urinal at least one spot away from them. If the only open urinals are next to someone, you always take the one closest to the door, unless the one closest to the door would place you next to two people instead of one.

You give space so you're not being creepy and going right next to someone, you always take the one closest to the door so no guys have to think that you specifically wanted to pee next to them, you always limit the number of people you're right next to... Etc. And going in a stall makes people wonder *why* you're going in the stall, and whether you're gay or something.

Bathroom politics for guys are very strange, complex, and centered around never projecting homosexual vibes. As homophobic as that is, it is the norm. At least in my country, the United States. (Haha, weird rant about bathroom politics. Hey, maybe it will come in handy during an awkward bathroom scene? XD)

Also, dang you're making great progress! :D

arachni42
Veteran
Organization: no, I'm pretty messy

#14 Post by arachni42 »

daikiraikimi wrote: From my understanding, it is precisely because they're self-conscious that they don't want to do anything outside of the norm. Like, you use the urinals. If there is someone there, you always take a urinal at least one spot away from them. If the only open urinals are next to someone, you always take the one closest to the door, unless the one closest to the door would place you next to two people instead of one.
I'd like to point out that it's not just bathrooms; there is social etiquette with things like open seating in places like airports, bus stations, etc. If there are open seats you always sit at least one seat away from a stranger, even if it causes a less-than-efficient situation for the next person to come along... ie. imagine there are 6 seats, and one person is sitting on either end. You need to take one of two middle seats to avoid being very socially awkward. So, the result looks like this (x is a taken seat, o is an open one): xoxoox
Now when another person comes along, if they sit they will sit in one of the two open seats on the right, but since they would be forced to sit next to someone, they may be strongly tempted to just stand even though half of the seats are open. It would actually be better if *fewer* of the seats were open, because once it's crowded enough people will fill up the seats with no awkwardness.

From what I understand, the same thing can happen with urinals, but probably even more awkward and complicated. I do not have firsthand knowledge, but I can support the assertion that (at least in the U.S.) it's considered important. ^_^ If the girl violates this etiquette it could be played for laughs.
I, Miku (NaNoRenO 2014)
Vignettes (NaNoRenO 2013)

Victoria
Regular

#15 Post by Victoria »

Great idea, actually! She is pretty socially awkward since most of her interactions have consisted of her relationship with her parents, so yeah, she wouldn't really know such unspoken rules. She'll probably be ordering her STP device in a week's time.
It's kind of similar when you're travelling by bus here. If it's more than half empty and especially if it will probably remain that way for the rest of the ride, it's like "Don't you DARE sit next to me!" But you're, of course, considered rude if you refuse to take down your bag from the seat next to you if the bus is full and people are crawling in.