Taarradhin [GxB, GxG] [NaNoRenO 2014]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Taarradhin [GxB, GxG] [NaNoRenO 2014]

#16 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

One of the hard parts about using a semi realistic style is pulling off the emotions so they are expressive but believable. My skills aren't quite up to scratch for a lot of the detailed knowledge work of faces -.- Anyway, Araerda is done, which just leaves Jyrik.

marimo
Regular

#17 Post by marimo »

Holy crap wow <3 This promises to be beeeauutifullll ahhh <3
ImageHonest Critique | Personal Art Thread (inactive tbh)
ImageCurrent Projects:
ImageAvailability: Commissions - Open

thekobester11
Regular
Completed: none >.<
Projects: experimenting renpy as of this moment

#18 Post by thekobester11 »

Wah T.T DAT WATERCOLOR.
Now I feel so demotivated... So many good artists and stories.
I hope it's already April so I can play this...

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#19 Post by Didules »

I will definitely play your game, because none of your games has ever deceived me!
And wow, such a beautiful and unusual art! Semi-realistic suits you!! :) It definitely looks good!
As for now, I may be a bit worried whether the main character will be nice to play as, but as her description says she's well-meaning, we will probably escape the usual cliché about self-centered wealthy girls ^^
The story seems to take place in an exotic country, this is also a good point, I definitely can't wait to learn more about the setting!!
What a wonderful logo!! :o

Good luck to both of you on this project!! :)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#20 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Thank you everyone :D It makes me very happy that people are enjoying the artwork so far.

Finally finished Jyrik's expressions! There are a couple other things I need to do with the sprites, plus tidying up the layers, but generally speaking they are done.
But my goodness, this style is tough on my hands. The brush motions make them a bit sore >_<

Anyway, next up will be backgrounds. I'm running behind, plus I want to see my sister on the weekend, but I'll do the best I can!

Kaht
Projects: Perchance to Dream

#21 Post by Kaht »

My goodness these sprites are GORGEOUS! I adore the warm color scheme running throughout (especially the complimentary use of blue with the main) and the digital painting style you've used!

I love love LOVED Witch/Knight so I'm really excited for this one! Also African influence? Yes please!

Just a heads up, not sure if you've noticed, but on Jyrik's sprite his neutral sprite has two bands around his right arm while the one where he has his arm up has one.

xxstrangesoulxx

#22 Post by xxstrangesoulxx »

The story seems interesting and the sprites look great. I look forward to playing this game.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#23 Post by MaiMai »

Kaht wrote: Just a heads up, not sure if you've noticed, but on Jyrik's sprite his neutral sprite has two bands around his right arm while the one where he has his arm up has one.
It makes sense since the neutral pose is cropped around the part where you would see the second ring on his right arm.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#24 Post by KomiTsuku »

MaiMai wrote:
Kaht wrote: Just a heads up, not sure if you've noticed, but on Jyrik's sprite his neutral sprite has two bands around his right arm while the one where he has his arm up has one.
It makes sense since the neutral pose is cropped around the part where you would see the second ring on his right arm.
Your left, his right; around the shoulder area.

I do like the designs for the characters, they're quite interesting and eye-catching.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#25 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Kaht wrote:Just a heads up, not sure if you've noticed, but on Jyrik's sprite his neutral sprite has two bands around his right arm while the one where he has his arm up has one.
Haha, I noticed that earlier when I was adding in some extra layers and fixed it, but thank you for letting me know! I could very easily miss things like that!

The influences are pretty varied because it's like a fantasy version of Africa (like Fantasy Europe that pops up a lot) so I didn't want anything to be too much like an particular region or country. Originally Neqtia was much more Ancient Egyptian looking, but I thought it was too specific so I mixed the African headdress with Indian inspired clothing. Mythos is South American inspired, Jyrik and Araerda are more Pacific Islander and the backgrounds are /supposed/ to be kind of Middle Eastern looking. So I want it to have a flavour of the region without people going 'this is referencing this place'.

Thank you for you kind words as well!

@xxstrangesoulxx, Thank you :) I hope you enjoy it.

@Komi, thank you :) I'm glad that they are nice to look at.

I got one background down, three to go.

Edit: Did a quick gif

The Scribbler

#26 Post by The Scribbler »

Looks good, I like how your palette here is playing with complementaries (though the blues are a bit warmer, of course). The only thing that really stood out for me is the reflection of the windows on the right, which I personally would fix by tracing perspective lines so that they look "parallel" (in perspective, which isn't so parallel in reality - while yours seem to be almost parallel near the pillar).
Mind, I mostly do figure drawing and I have to explain this in English, so it might not be incredibly clear...

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#27 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

The Scribbler wrote:Looks good, I like how your palette here is playing with complementaries (though the blues are a bit warmer, of course). The only thing that really stood out for me is the reflection of the windows on the right, which I personally would fix by tracing perspective lines so that they look "parallel" (in perspective, which isn't so parallel in reality - while yours seem to be almost parallel near the pillar).
Mind, I mostly do figure drawing and I have to explain this in English, so it might not be incredibly clear...
Oh yeah, there should be more space between the bottom of the wall and the start of the reflection, and a tad to the left, I think. At least I think that is what you are referring to? I was in a bit of a rush and didn't line it up properly ^_^; If I get some spare time I'll try and fix it.

The Scribbler

#28 Post by The Scribbler »

I think I found an easier way to explain it: if we take the window next to the pillar, for example, I'd trace two vertical lines downwards, as it seems to me that those don't match in the reflection and for the base (in the reflection, still, it's the top horizontal line) I'd rotate it counter-clock-wise a few degrees to better match the perspective. So yeah, that was mostly what I was referring to, with the addition of the rotation of the horizontal line. :)

Well caught on the distance of the reflection itself, I didn't think of that at all... I foresee hours and hours of head-scratching on learning perspective. Good thing I'm not the background artist of our NaNo project!

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#29 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

The Scribbler wrote:I think I found an easier way to explain it: if we take the window next to the pillar, for example, I'd trace two vertical lines downwards, as it seems to me that those don't match in the reflection and for the base (in the reflection, still, it's the top horizontal line) I'd rotate it counter-clock-wise a few degrees to better match the perspective. So yeah, that was mostly what I was referring to, with the addition of the rotation of the horizontal line. :)

Well caught on the distance of the reflection itself, I didn't think of that at all... I foresee hours and hours of head-scratching on learning perspective. Good thing I'm not the background artist of our NaNo project!
Ah yes! I get what you mean :D You are correct, the parallels are indeed off. That's what I get for doing things in haste >_<

Perspective is crazy to learn, I can't even believe I managed to grasp the basics now. For a very, very long time I just couldn't wrap my head around it. If you are looking into learning it I high recommend this book http://www.amazon.com/Perspective-Comic ... 0823005674 It goes pretty in depth, but the initial chapters are the only thing I have ever come across that has taught me not just the principles of perspective, but how to actually apply it.

One day I should take on a project solely as a background artist so I can practice more XD Culina proved a great way to focus and learn perspective.

The Scribbler

#30 Post by The Scribbler »

Thanks!

Yup, got that one - my boyfriend recommended it to me (he taught me some basics in the past) and it's indeed very good. I think in the future I'll have to do just the same - practice backgrounds a bit and then draw those instead of the characters. And then: spaceships!

But I'm offtopic, I shall leave you to your work. :)