The One in LOVE [Done]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

The One in LOVE [Done]

#1 Post by Donmai »

After starting and dumping four or five projects to the bin on the last week, I think this will be my story for NaNo 2014. It's a graphic visual novel telling the story of Rashad, and why he's a man like no other in this Universe.
This guy is Rashad.
This guy is Rashad.
Having to endure six months sealed inside a metal box attached to a far distant asteroid, for mining purposes, Rashad is alerted by the central computer (nicknamed "Lady Lovelace") to the fact that one of the gynoid robots of that mining station may be (due to a manufacturing defect) entering in a state of loss of vital extensions (or LOVE, for short). It's up to Rashad to try to discover, using some Voight-Kampf-Deckard tests, if one of the robots is really in LOVE.
screenshot0001.png
Because of my monitor size I chose 1024x576, but you can go for the bigger size, or fullscreen.
Because of my monitor size I chose 1024x576, but you can go for the bigger size, or fullscreen.
Of course the robots may be holding surprises for our spaceman.
screenshot0004.png
As always, writing a text in English is my greatest challenge.
Wish me luck, please.

Edit: done.
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=25871
Last edited by Donmai on Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: The One in LOVE

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

What sort of interactions will the main character have with the robots? Also, what are "vital extensions" in the context of your story?
Donmai wrote:...some Voight-Kampf-Deckard tests...

I see what you did there. :D
Donmai wrote:As always, writing a text in English is my greatest challenge.
If you're more comfortable writing in Portuguese, that's fine. You can always work with people later, and get the story translated into other languages.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers

#3 Post by Donmai »

gekiganwing wrote:What sort of interactions will the main character have with the robots? Also, what are "vital extensions" in the context of your story?
It's very difficult to give answers to your questions without BIG spoilers, but
During the story is explained that mining stations like that were created with rude men in mind (someone who would accept to spend up to 12 years travelling through space inside cryo-chambers, and then spend long boring six months supervising the work of machines as they extract minerals from asteroids. Rashad is a special case. The world is at war and few people are wanting to risk going to the mining stations, because the chance of never coming back is too big. But Rashad needed the money desperately, so he took the risk. The three robots depicted on the title screen are, from left to right: the nurse, the wife(!) and the cook. Rashad hated the chauvinist concept of the mining station, especially the "wife" robot, as he doesn't like the idea of changing his real wife for a loving machine. The "vital extensions" have a double meaning. In the robot's case they are system extensions that control the machine specific behaviour. In Rashad's case (because he is in love, too) the vital extension is his human wife, who he really sees as his "other half".
Donmai wrote:...some Voight-Kampf-Deckard tests...

I see what you did there. :D
:lol:
Donmai wrote:As always, writing a text in English is my greatest challenge.
If you're more comfortable writing in Portuguese, that's fine. You can always work with people later, and get the story translated into other languages.
I fear that could start a new acronyms war, like "EVN x OELVN". If I write a VN in Brazilian Portuguese, should I call it a "PT-BRVN" or a "OPT-BRLVN"? :shock: :lol:

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

The premise is interesting. I like the plays on words you came up with X3.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

The Scribbler

Re: The One in LOVE [Done]

#5 Post by The Scribbler »

Ah, I really, really loved Toire no Hanako and I liked Li'l Red too. I'm certainly going to try this one, you're one of my favourite VN authors, so I'm glad to see you took part in this NaNoRenO as well!
I wonder what sort of atmosphere this is going to have. I remember finding that Toire no Hanako was a complete surprise for me, it gave me a very peaceful feeling and I treasure it to this day.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Donmai »

Thank you. I hope you will like it. It's on the Completed Games section.

The Scribbler

#7 Post by The Scribbler »

I did love it, I stayed up late (after NaNo!) last night to play it all in one sitting.