One Leaf Clover [GxB] [Slice of Life] [NaNo2014]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Allegra Hughes
Veteran
Completed: One Leaf Clover
Projects: Bitter Truth, Two Faced
Organization: Chisa Studios

One Leaf Clover [GxB] [Slice of Life] [NaNo2014]

#1 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Souka seems to have a good life, and an even better boyfriend. However, Taru's luck is beyond bad, and
his happy-go-lucky attitude just doesn't match up! Just what is the cause of his horrible luck? Will his luck
cause an end to their special bond- or strengthen it beyond belief?

DOWNLOAD

Souka Kumo
CV: Sakura Hughes
Souka is Taru's down-to-earth girlfriend who can't quite conceive just how her boyfriend is so unlucky and
oblivious to the fact. She cares deeply for Taru, but is easily frustrated by his lack of observation for his own situation.

Taru Mitsuka
CV: Sheldon Roberts
Taru is possibly most unlucky fellow in history, but somehow is completely oblivious to it. Living his life in a
happy-go-lucky manner, Taru manages to spin any troublesome situation in his mind with a silver lining. Taru
is from a very prosperous family, and tends to live a very flamboyant life, not worrying that his luck will cause
trouble for his well-planned future. However, he wasn't always that unlucky! Is his oblivious outlook a facade?

Rimu Asakura
CV: Samantha Chan
Rimu is both Souka's cousin and close friend. She's had a very outspoken crush on Taru for a long time, and
won't deny she wishes her cousin and crush would just break up already. However, though she has a clear short
temper, she's a very spirited and kind girl overall. She seems to get along well with the group despite her
personal agenda.

Itsuki Ringo

CV: Ethan Nakashima
Itsuki is Taru's best friend, and the voice of reason that tries to keep his relationship at bay. With a calm and
casual outlook, he has a bit of a sly edge- but he always manages to pull through for his friends. Itsuki thinks
of himself as the big brother- reliable and responsible for his simple-minded friends.

Uncle Sato

CV: Darrell Powell Jr
Uncle Sato simply goes by "Sato" to everyone, except for his very cheerful nephew, Taru. Sato is a pilot by trade
and is currently Taru's guardian. He has a very strong connection with his nephew, and knows most of his past
very well. Like his nephew, he's a very upbeat person normally, but unlike him, does have more concerns in his
life- but generally ignores them.

Ren’Py Visual Novel Engine

Writer:
Jaluna Rolik

Programmer:
Sakura Hughes

Artwork:
Uncle Mugen and Tokudaya

Music:
Royalty Free, Giovedi, PatchyDoll and Tempus

Photo Editor:
Jaluna Rolik, Sakura Hughes, Samantha Chan

- 10 to 20mins game play
- Unlockable Choices
- Multiple Endings
- Full Voice Acting

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*Sakura's Note*
As the voice actor for Souka, the voice acting director and the one who suggested to have the game voiced, I'd love your feedback and opinions on the voice acting! If you thought it ruined your game play experience, please let me know and why you thought so! I'd love to hear from you guys to make the next voiced game better!

Thanks,
Sakura
Last edited by Allegra Hughes on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:53 am, edited 10 times in total.

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

Re: One Leaf Clover [GxB] [Slice of Life] [NaNo2014]

#2 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Game will be released tomorrow night!
Stay tuned~

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#3 Post by mugenjohncel »

Tee Hee Hee :mrgreen: I'll just keep quiet about the Easter Egg contained in the Airport BG and hopefully no one figures it out :mrgreen:
But definitely looking forward to this release... I mean, it is VOICED!

"POOF" (Disappears)

Juneberry
Regular
Projects: Deadly Heart

#4 Post by Juneberry »

Game has now been playtested! Time was about 10 minutes, give or take. :)

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#5 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Game has been released!
Hope you enjoy~

Allegra Hughes
Veteran

#6 Post by Allegra Hughes »

Added to the thread but!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
*Sakura's Note*
As the voice actor for Souka, the voice acting director and the one who suggested to have the game voiced, I'd love your feedback and opinions on the voice acting! If you thought it ruined your game play experience, please let me know and why you thought so! I'd love to hear from you guys to make the next voiced game better!

Thanks,
Sakura

moonyta

#7 Post by moonyta »

I just finished playing this one, it took me about 15 minutes. The voice acting was nice. It felt believable enough, I think the voice actors did a really good job most of the time.

I also like the artwork, and the music is nice. I just wasn't really into the characters. It's a matter of personal preference, but here's what I thought:
I was a little annoyed with the protagonist. She was too mean to him without much reason. I understand the idea of she being tired of all the bad things happening, but as this is a short story and so you don't have much time for character development it felt wrong and sudden when I had to choose between "Ugh" and "Idiot" when the poor guy had bird poop on his head (which can't possibly be his own fault). I went through the whole thing heavily disliking her, and I think that affected my gaming experience in a negative way.
Now about the endings,
I got two of them, are there any more? First I got the ending with the plane, when she finds out the explanation of his bad luck. It was cute, even though it made he look cuter while making her look even worst (which was already my problem with it :| but as I said, personal preference... I see how some people would enjoy this kind of dynamics).
Second time I got the ending where she broke up with him. I would be very satisfied to find an ending where he would broke up with her, to be honest. That would really have me pleased :P

Aseret
Regular

#8 Post by Aseret »

Just finished playing it, it was short like you said, but the fact that it was voiced made me intrigued.
I REALLY didn't like the main character/protagonist.. I mean she was rather dislikeable? She just seemed really negative and rude. I just felt she was overly harsh with Taru. I just don't get how Taru liked Souka? Like sure he liked her when they were kids, but now, she just seems so jaded and mean... On the other hand, Taru was adorable and lovable. The ending was cute and just made me like Taru even more. WHAT A SWEET GUY, seriously <3
@moonyta - I completely agree with you. Exactly how I felt :P

As for voice acting, it was clear so good job on that :) The people who voiced Taru and Itsuki did an incredible job!! Seriously, I have a lot of praise for Sheldon Roberts and Ethan Nakashima. You guys are really good at voice acting and I'd love to hear more from the both of you!

Congratulations on releasing the game ^^

KiloTango
Regular
Projects: The Lighthouse (NaNoReNo14)
Organization: Starship ★ Palindrome

#9 Post by KiloTango »

This is a sweet little game, and the voice acting works really well

Re: Endings:
Are there more than the 'this is why he is unlucky' and 'dump him' endings? They were both decent although finish a little abruptly. I liked the first one a lot though.
Re: Characters
Agreeing with the 'Wow, the lead is kind of a jerk'. Because Taru is SUCH a sweet puppy of a boy, Souka's impatient, dismissive treatment of him makes her come across as pretty cold and I agree with the comments that an ending where Taru dumps HER would satisfying. It's not really clear why he likes her so much when she doesn't treat him well. The voice acting kind of added to this, because she sounds so hacked off, it's almost more like she's dealing some some infatuated guy she doesn't care about than someone who is meant to be her boyfriend: the relationship feels right on the rocks from the beginning. And it feels like Taru can do better. XD
ImageImageImage

TheMuffincake

#10 Post by TheMuffincake »

This is truly an adorable VN.

I really love that this is voiced! There is wonderful casting, all the voices match the characters wonderfully! Except for maybe Souka, simply because the expression/emotion would be a bit lacking at times, making her sound monotone, and no one wants a monotone protag. :c The way you pronounced her stutters were absolutely adorable sounding, though. <3 But the voices really helped me get into the story, and didn't distract me from it, just as voice acting should! In my opinion, it was a GREAT idea to have it be voiced.

As for the characters/plot...
As others have already said, Souka seemed too mean to Taru. If there had been more backing for why Souka was so anxious around Taru, ie. she had ended up in the hospital a couple times due to dates gone horribly wrong... Souka's nastiness maybe could have been justified. But still, who would ever call poor little innocent Taru an idiot!? :'c I got a bit of a tsundere vibe from her (forgive me if I'm wrong!) but...That doesn't justify a lot of her reactions. For example, getting so upset over a karaoke machine going awry, is a bit of an over the top response. I couldn't really see why she got so angry from that...
But on a funnier note, I really love the examples Itsuki gives to Taru...Ending up in the arctic circle instead of the beach, getting chased around by a mob of penguins...Truly dream dates. :lol: Brilliant ideas! I also got immediately attached to Itsuki and Rimu, they were really great characters that I would've loved to see/hear more of. :D
Also, about the endings...
You said that there would be unlockable choices, but I played through it 3 times and still would only have the same 2 choices?? I also was only able to get 2 endings: the plane crashing/adorable ending, and the break up ending. I was wondering if there were more than that, and if it was a problem with the programming? It just seemed from the way you worded the features in the description that there'd be more. It didn't hinder my enjoyment of the VN, but just something to watch out for when hyping your audience; you don't want to have your VN seem like more than it is. c:
Nonetheless, this was a really short and sweet VN, just what I needed to pass the time! :D I caught myself giggling and blushing from time to time. ^^