CUPID [Horror/Romance - NanoReno 2015][COMPLETED!!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
SweetOath
Completed: To Think
Projects: Hope's Reminder (fantasy), The Mercenary's Daughter (kn)
Tumblr: Sweetoath
Deviantart: Sweetoath

Re: CUPID [Horror/Romance - NanoReno 2015]

#31 Post by SweetOath »

I just wanted to wish you luck on your project. I'm not a big fan of horror, but your descriptions have me curious of how it will end. I like how the characters all seem to have a twist to them. Rosa caught my mind first...so um..have a fan art. >x<

Edit: clearer photo of drawing

ameliori
Veteran
Completed: Who is Mike?, Cupid
Projects: The Black Beast [Fairytale]
Organization: FERVENT
Tumblr: ameliori
itch: fervent

#32 Post by ameliori »

ColaCat wrote:*opens door* Wow. Have I missed the party? So much is going on here! *walks out again*

No, but seriously though, this script was a good read! And, uh, yes, *cough cough* there are some very, uhhh... nice scenes - shall we say. >_<
Seriously, guys. Do you know how suspicious my sister was when she saw my notes? I've got to keep my credits clean, you know! XD

I just hope I didn't miss any mistakes! *nervous laugh*

I swear to glob, though, if I have to write out another entire sentence just because someone missed one full-stop on their ellipsis I'll be the one having a mental breakdown... X_X
I'm so sorry for the ellipses, Colacat. I think that is my fault. It's a bad habit of mine like biting fingernails :( Please forgive me?

Also yes, *ehem* nice scenes. Nice steamy steams like a pork bun melting in your mouth... Tee hee!

Hazel-Bun wrote:Looking awesome!
Thank you! Hope you'll keep watching!
Rahnos wrote: Yes, that's me on tumblr, wanted to give you guys some extra support! :)
I'm so glad you will be including piano scenes! It gives character to a game, such things. Can't wait to see them!

Also, I have always wanted to have a long side ponytail like Catherine has. My hair is not as long but it's getting there. I love her design!

Rosa's design makes her look like she's a rather shy/timid girl, but I don't see anything like that in her bio. I suppose being very sad also makes you bow your head a little. I hope she'll have some happier scenes too. (Yes, I know it's horror/supernatural. But I can't help but want people to be happy)
Thanks for the extra boost! Quite happy to be connected with you in other media as well. You can say I'm pretty frustrated when I made Catherine's design.. Cos I am envious of that kind of hair haha!

Also your note on Rosa is valid. As the story progressed, things sometimes get warped and changed as we go. I'll update her description to fit her current one. Don't worry, it isn't all blood and craziness in the story. There are quite a number of fun scenes too, you'll see for yourself :)
SweetOath wrote:I just wanted to wish you luck on your project. I'm not a big fan of horror, but your descriptions have me curious of how it will end. I like how the characters all seem to have a twist to them. Rosa caught my mind first...so um..have a fan art. >x<
Edit: clearer photo of drawing
Can I just say how much you made everyone's day, SweetOath? This is our first ever EVER fanart and it's made by you! Thank you so much! You make me wanna do something extravagant like... eat one whole Ice cream cake haha!
GrizelyBear wrote:Ooh, I must say, the story's intriguing and the art is absolutely gorgeous!

A mentally unstable protagonist sounds awesome :>

Keep it up, and good luck!
Thanks GrizelyBear! I hope you play the game when it's out! Can't wait to hear what you think ^^
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ameliori
Veteran

#33 Post by ameliori »

UPDATE!
Can anybody say, Halfway point?

Story Breakdown: 95%
Writing: 60%
Programming: 40%
GUI: 50%
Sprites: 90%
BG: 70%
CG: 20%
SFX: 35%
Music: 45%

Accomplished:
- Second build of game submitted
- 6 scenes of 10 finished writing, 4 still pending approval
- 4 scenes fully sprited and ready for launch
- 90% of finished sprites and expressions live
- UI implemented
Achievement Unlocked: Deep thoughts about the nature of Love and Pain

Finally FINALLY. The sprites are all done. BREATHE. BREEAAATHEE.
Here are some samples:

Next up on the menu, the CGs!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ColaCat
Veteran

#34 Post by ColaCat »

XD Haha, it's fine! Really! I should have (fingers crossed) sorted them all out now anyway!

Yeah, my heart did a little back-flip when I saw that fanart! Thanks SweetOath!

Gosh, the sprites look good! Loving Catherine as a child (and Rosa with long hair!).

bunderlai

#35 Post by bunderlai »

WOW! Your art is so detailed and lovely. I love how realistic it feels. Also, brilliant idea making the basic visual novel game mechanic such an intrinsic part of your story. I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Rahnos
Regular

#36 Post by Rahnos »

ameliori wrote: Thanks for the extra boost! Quite happy to be connected with you in other media as well. You can say I'm pretty frustrated when I made Catherine's design.. Cos I am envious of that kind of hair haha!

Also your note on Rosa is valid. As the story progressed, things sometimes get warped and changed as we go. I'll update her description to fit her current one. Don't worry, it isn't all blood and craziness in the story. There are quite a number of fun scenes too, you'll see for yourself :)
It's much easier to follow updates via tumblr as well :3 Saw the new description, it is much clearer indeed. Totally understand about things changing, my stories do that a lot too. They run off and develop a bit. :P

Great job on those sprites! Tiny Catherine looks adorable, as does Rosa with her hair down. Looks like you guys are making a lot of progress!

Looking forward to this! I hope we can play this "Mother" character as somewhat of a good guide, despite the mental unstability. (which is very brave of you guys, to handle that kind of issues in a visual novel) Either way it will certainly be interesting!

ameliori
Veteran

#37 Post by ameliori »

Cupid VN - Production Updates [End of Week # 3]
Nanoreno 2015

Story Breakdown: 97%
Writing: 80%
Programming: 70%
GUI: 70%
Sprites: 90%
BG: 80%
CG: 40%
SFX: 55%
Music: 55%

Accomplished:
- Third Build of Game finished (not yet submitted due to internet problems)
- 9 scenes of 10 finished writing, 1 still pending approval
- 1 of 4 endings finished, 1 in draft
- 7 out of 10 scenes fully sprited and ready for launch
- 95% of finished sprites and expressions live
- 80% UI implemented and additional screens implemented

As you can see, we have some features available like gallery, music box, production notes and bonuses:

We have four bonus materials, one of which includes an epilogue. The other three are amusing anecdotes during the prod process:

Here are some working screenshots of the game, including a second costume for Guilleme:

And an additional costume for Rosa. Look at them interacting. So cute.

Work on the CGs are also on the way (I am a bit nervous because our colorist hasn't contacted me yet :( ). Nevertheless, here are some Uncolored but final lineart CGs for the game

Rosa and Catherine happy days!

Catherine and Guilleme:

Guilleme's raep face (?!?!) mid push-up

++

The main ending is already finished, so no matter what, we have a finished game to submit by the end of March. We've also started putting in the choices paths and I've just finished editing 3 of the major scenes of the story.

All in all, progress is going well. Unfortunately, I think it's necessary to extend the deadline to polish the game. There are still quite a number of CGs to draw, and also the backgrounds are just stock images. But to everyone looking forward to this game, a fully built-demo will be available. Hopefully, it will have the whole story in it, so if we do get to release a full game, the only difference would be better art and probably more original music scores.
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ameliori
Veteran

#38 Post by ameliori »

ColaCat wrote:XD Haha, it's fine! Really! I should have (fingers crossed) sorted them all out now anyway!

Yeah, my heart did a little back-flip when I saw that fanart! Thanks SweetOath!

Gosh, the sprites look good! Loving Catherine as a child (and Rosa with long hair!).
Thanks Cat! I've started the editing for my scenes already. 3, 5, 8. I am so bummed I can't upload Build 3. My internet is being a douche. I've left some notes on your editing docs too.
bunderlai wrote:WOW! Your art is so detailed and lovely. I love how realistic it feels. Also, brilliant idea making the basic visual novel game mechanic such an intrinsic part of your story. I can't wait to see how this turns out!
Aw, thanks bunderlai! Yeah, I hope we go the novel game mechanic justice. We're just in the process of implementing the feature. I really hope you play it and leave your thoughts!
Rahnos wrote:
It's much easier to follow updates via tumblr as well :3 Saw the new description, it is much clearer indeed. Totally understand about things changing, my stories do that a lot too. They run off and develop a bit. :P

Great job on those sprites! Tiny Catherine looks adorable, as does Rosa with her hair down. Looks like you guys are making a lot of progress!

Looking forward to this! I hope we can play this "Mother" character as somewhat of a good guide, despite the mental unstability. (which is very brave of you guys, to handle that kind of issues in a visual novel) Either way it will certainly be interesting!
Yeah, there is an option to be nice to Rosa. Mother's core is still love after all. But really, the mean mommy is a more interesting path (to me at least), hahaha! (Just me being sadistic).

To be honest, mental unstability is the least of the characters' problems, unfortunately. It's not the focus of the story. There are mature topics in the game like rape and victim mentality, child abuse and loss. But there are also thoughts on memories, family, friendship and of course, love.

Now that I have most of the writing with me, I can safely describe the story to everyone looking forward to the game. If people are expecting this to be a slasher horror game with a yandere protag, then they might be disappointed. The game can get a bit serious at times but quite sweet/funny sometimes too. There are about two sexual scenes. Depending on the choices you make throughout the game, Rosa can either follow your command or disobey you. She starts to question you on your motives and what really drives you in the events.

Hopefully, the players would enjoy the game as much as we did creating it.
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ColaCat
Veteran

#39 Post by ColaCat »

Wow! Loving the art! *dies from the awesomeness*

Yeah, I'll need to give the entire thing a re-read through. I think I over punctuated. :/

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#40 Post by Harliqueen »

Getting more and more excited for this with every update you do! :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Rahnos
Regular

#41 Post by Rahnos »

ameliori wrote:
Yeah, there is an option to be nice to Rosa. Mother's core is still love after all. But really, the mean mommy is a more interesting path (to me at least), hahaha! (Just me being sadistic).

To be honest, mental unstability is the least of the characters' problems, unfortunately. It's not the focus of the story. There are mature topics in the game like rape and victim mentality, child abuse and loss. But there are also thoughts on memories, family, friendship and of course, love.

Now that I have most of the writing with me, I can safely describe the story to everyone looking forward to the game. If people are expecting this to be a slasher horror game with a yandere protag, then they might be disappointed. The game can get a bit serious at times but quite sweet/funny sometimes too. There are about two sexual scenes. Depending on the choices you make throughout the game, Rosa can either follow your command or disobey you. She starts to question you on your motives and what really drives you in the events.

Hopefully, the players would enjoy the game as much as we did creating it.
Oh yes, I'm sure I'll try the mean mommy path as well, just to see what it's like. I just like options. :)

And it not being the focus is preferable to me, actually. Can't handle the really intense stuff well myself, but I can if it's paired with some cuter/lighter moments.

I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. You've made sure to tell people not to expect too much from the game when it comes to horror. It's certainly looking good! Also, god, that pushup face will give me nightmares. *shudder*

ameliori
Veteran

#42 Post by ameliori »

Rahnos wrote:
Oh yes, I'm sure I'll try the mean mommy path as well, just to see what it's like. I just like options. :)

And it not being the focus is preferable to me, actually. Can't handle the really intense stuff well myself, but I can if it's paired with some cuter/lighter moments.

I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it. You've made sure to tell people not to expect too much from the game when it comes to horror. It's certainly looking good! Also, god, that pushup face will give me nightmares. *shudder*
I'm happy you said that. Pairing sweet and light moments with darker moments complements them and gives both more emphasis, methinks. Also, I have all the four endings with me now, and there is a straight-up bloody murder path if the player ever choose to go there. So hey, everybody happy?? :P
Harliqueen wrote:Getting more and more excited for this with every update you do! :)
Thanks Harliqueen! I really hope you get to leave your thoughts on the game once it's out. I'm excited to know what you think.
ColaCat wrote:Wow! Loving the art! *dies from the awesomeness*

Yeah, I'll need to give the entire thing a re-read through. I think I over punctuated. :/
It seems alright to me!

++

UPDATE:
First of all, a writing update:

Like I said above, all the endings are with me now! The story and the game is pretty much "done"? Well, not really done. The CGs haven't been colored yet, and I think the work can use more images (because why not). 3 scenes aren't sprited yet as of the moment. Seriously though, I can release this as a demo and the only major thing missed would be the CG coloring and some of the music tracks. (Our musician, Krichotomy has been having medical issues and wasn't able to make the deadline..)

So I wonder, March 31 is almost here. For everyone looking forward to this game, would you be interested in viewing the Demo as the month ends, which is, let's say 70% done? Or would you rather wait for it to be finished like totally finished? That latter is a bit tricky because I have no idea when the CGs will be finished (it's all up to the colorist who is in spring break right now O_O). So the deadline might be pushed back to the last week of April, give or take.

Another option is to release a demo that has 3 important chapters available which are polished and finished. This is so the players can have a sample of things to expect, while waiting for the game's finishing touches.

I want to produce a 4th build by March, which is the whole of the game, as a sort of trophy for Nano. I also want to people looking forward this the whole month to have a taste of the work we did. Do you want the game now, dears? Or would you like to wait? Or would you like a yummy appetizer to get you by? I'd love to hear your opinions! As always thank you for the support!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ColaCat
Veteran

#43 Post by ColaCat »

Gosh, I hope Krichotomy is okay. >_<

I don't know if my opinion counts, but I just wanted to say that either way the game looks good - even with uncoloured cgs. I'm interested to see what other people think, but my opinion is to release it anyway, then polish it up! ^_^

ameliori
Veteran

#44 Post by ameliori »

ColaCat wrote:Gosh, I hope Krichotomy is okay. >_<
I don't know if my opinion counts, but I just wanted to say that either way the game looks good - even with uncoloured cgs. I'm interested to see what other people think, but my opinion is to release it anyway, then polish it up! ^_^
Yeah, Krichotomy having some breathing difficulties, medication problems and going through some depression at the moment. He did say he's going to try his best to make something for us, but his general well-being is still more important. We have other tracks available on the game anyway.

Of course your opinion counts! You're a team member! And I really do want to see what people think of the game (=>_<=). I'm gearing towards releasing a demo that will feature chapter 1 - 3. No endings. so people will actually look forward to our work. I'm concerned it's a bit of a cop-out to release a nearly finished game and call it "complete" anyway. I'm going to discuss it with Marionette how to go about the build!
ameliori
TwitterPatreon

ColaCat
Veteran

#45 Post by ColaCat »

Of course! It's much more important that he gets better soon. *sends him a hug*
Besides, the music that's been made already is brilliant. I'm in love with the title screen theme. ^_^ You know I have a soft spot for music box tunes!

People should be okay with that, right? *nervously looks around for approval* I think for the scale of the project we've done really well! Especially for a first try at NaNo.