Contact [Demo] [Modern Fantasy] [GxB] [NaNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Sami-Fire
Regular
Tumblr: execdreamcycle
Deviantart: Sami-Fire
Soundcloud: Sami-Fire

Contact [Demo] [Modern Fantasy] [GxB] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by Sami-Fire »

CONTACT
Hello, and welcome to a brand-spanking new NaNoRenO 2015 WIP thread! Let's get down to brass tacks till I have the time and the stuff to make this topic pretty.

Contact is a Modern Fantasy-based Visual Novel with Otome game elements. In it, an ordinary if rather artsy college student named Marianne is approached by an angel who calls her a "contact," a human with special spiritual parameters that have drawn the interest of divine forces. He says that he has been assigned to keep an eye on her but is vague when asked why she needs monitoring. Later that day, a demon appears in Marianne's room and makes pitches for her to join the demons. From there, the angel and the demon alternate visiting Marianne to gain her favor, periodically butting heads with each other. Depending on how Marianne plays her cards, she could wind up with a friend in a high (or a low) place... or something none of them ever expected could occur.

Now, you may be asking, "What's with the [Demo] in the title?" Well, to put it simply, we're cheating. Sort of. Contact is intended to be a full game, so we ('we' being Tag- and I) decided that we ought to at least make a demo for NaNoRenO. (Well, originally I thought I could wedge it all into one month, but Tag didn't think that would be good for the project, so here we are.) The demo will encompass the first half or 2/3rds of the game storywise, depending on how things flow when the writing actually starts.

Now, our cast!

Marianne Mason - Our protagonist. A college sophomore with a flair for the artistic. As a Contact, she has unusual spiritual parameters that have drawn the attention of Heaven and Hell alike. She has a bit of sass to her and a good, sturdy spine.

Lisiel Altwaltz - An angel who approaches Marianne to secure her allegiance to Heaven. He is quite a gentleman, but also a bit awkward at times.

Claude Crowley - A demon who stepped up to compete with Lisiel for Marianne's allegiance. He's rather coarse, but good-humored.

And now, our staff!

Writer and Programmer - Sami-Fire
Artist - Tag-

Here's to a chronicle of good progress!
Last edited by Sami-Fire on Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Contact [Demo] [Modern Fantasy] [GxB] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by Camille »

Ooh this sounds interesting and I love Lisiel's character design, haha. Even a demo's pretty hard work so best of luck to you!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#3 Post by KittyKatStar »

Even just aiming for a demo can be hard, like Camille points out. I love the character designs, I wish you the best.

Sami-Fire
Regular

#4 Post by Sami-Fire »

Thanks for stopping by, you two! It's great to get some support this early in. Credit for the character designs goes to Tag-; while I came up with some base stuff I wanted to see, she's the one who actually made them a thing.

I keep wondering how I could rewrite my summary because I feel like a lot gets left out (namely, the worldbuilding that I hope I can ease in there without getting too infodumpy). There's a lot of setting details I've been playing with.

Last night I was able to start the first story phase, but I can't tell if it's going too fast or not. I suppose I can pack more in later if needed. It is only the first day, after sll.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#5 Post by Googaboga »

Haha, this seems like a good set up for a lot of funny moments. I imagine the three of them interacting will be tons of fun.

Good luck on finishing the demo and full project ^^.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by 15385bic »

Tag art~ yay
demo's can take a while T.T - emoting is super time consuming even if u do finish the art and story
but good luck!

Tag-
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Circo della Sera

#7 Post by Tag- »

Artist dropping in to post progress!
Thank you for the support, guys ;;v;;

Current sprite progress is 20%.
I aim to finish all three by the end of this week (ahhh wish me luck orz), then use the next 2 weeks to finish CGs, and the final week is for any additional art (perhaps I'll have a crack at GUI but I'm really not sure where to start with that...)

PM me if needed

Sami-Fire
Regular

#8 Post by Sami-Fire »

Tiny update! I've been plugging away at the script when I can (time and wellness allowing), and right now I'm about partway through Claude's introduction. I think that puts me at about 3/5 of the minimum things required for Phase 1? I think I should be finished with it by the end of the week, which I'm not sure is a good sign or not. Well, more can always be added later! I intend to spend a lot of time on Phase 2 and cram it full of all sorts of fun character building bits, so that'll probably be what occupies me for a good chunk of NaNoRenO. If I finish early... well, either than means I forgot stuff or I need to figure out more stuff. XD We'll see what happens.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#9 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Oooo, this sounds interesting. I like stories about Heaven and Hell at war, like Good Omens XD Tag, your art is looking great! Good luck on finishing the demo!

Rahnos
Regular

#10 Post by Rahnos »

Looks great so far. Loving the art and art style. :3

Sami-Fire
Regular

#11 Post by Sami-Fire »

Hey guys! Just posting a quick "I'm not dead, there is still work going on" update. I'm a bit behind schedule courtesy of school stuff (my big thesis presentation/colloquium is this week, and I'm supposed to be updating my powerpoint right now... ahahaha...), but I don't think it's too much of a problem. Stuff can always be added in later, since this is a demo and all. I'm literally almost done with Phase 1, so Phase 2 should definitely be up and started by next week. Tag- is still plugging away on the sprites, and I hope to be able to have actual screenshots for you all to see soon!

Gabylc
Regular
Projects: Crossfire
Organization: Agape Studios
Tumblr: attackonbara

#12 Post by Gabylc »

This looks really nice! I love urban fantasy so I'll definitely check your demo and keep an eye on your project :D
Image Check our Attack on Titan fangame. Demo available here!