Those Without Names [Slice of Life,Siblings][NaNo2015] Done!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

Those Without Names [Slice of Life,Siblings][NaNo2015] Done!

#1 Post by yuucie »

Those Without Names
Slice of Life, sibling relationships(platonic)
Warnings: Implications of death, claustrophobia, physical abuse
Endings: 4

EDIT: This game has been finished on March 30, 2015. Here is the download page!

Backgrounds and Sprites up for creative commons use here: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52&t=31476
Summary

Eight has a name: a real name. The problem is, she can’t remember it.

The people around her don’t remember theirs either. Like her, they’re all trapped in what seems to be the same dream without a name; just a number. In order to leave this place, you must “awaken” to your name.

Much to Eight’s relief, she finds a familiar face. Just by looking at him she knows he is her brother, even if neither of them can remember each other’s names. She believes they’re trapped in a dream; her brother thinks they’re dead. Little by little they piece together their scattered memories to “awaken”: how it ends depends on who you think is right.
Characters
Eight: She woke up in a strange place without a name or clear memories, but since she convinced herself she's in a dream she's quite composed. Eight is quiet, but she draws her strength from protecting others. Since she dislikes reaching out to people, her brother is her best friend. She enjoys watching romantic dramas with him. Eight is terrified of small, cramped places and the idea of death.
Zero: Eight's brother. He is a naturally inquisitive person. Due to their family circumstances they're both quite close. He enjoys music, watching his sister's romantic dramas and commenting on the bad acting (but he still gets into it). Unlike her, he finds it difficult to adjust to the place they're in and projects it through anger and frustration. Makes friends more easily than Eight.

Seven: The first person Eight meets. She's calm and gentle, and reminds Eight of her mother. She stayed in this world the longest, and has already decided what kind of world they're trapped in. Instead of telling Eight or Zero however, she simply waits for them to arrive at their own conclusions. Looks upon the two of them quite fondly.

Thirteen: Zero befriends him quickly in this strange world. They share a common interest in mixing and composing digital music. Always optimistic and talkative, he's around for Eight when her brother is gone. His energy seems overwhelming at first, but he struggles to breathe on occasion, giving Eight a sense of his weak health.

Progress
(Updated: March 30: Completed)

GUI:

Backgrounds:

Eight Sprites:

Zero Sprites:

----
I am soloing this nanoreno.

It’s a simple short story of a sister and a brother trying to make sense of where they are and why they were brought here. Since it’s for Nanoreno it’s not meant to be super deep, tragic or touching with a lesson or anything (I don't think I can write anything meaningful in a span of a month)! Growing up close to my sister, I enjoy a lot of stories and games that have close siblings in them. So I thought, "Why not make a short VN focused on that?"

THE PLAN

Week 1: Writing (100%!!!!) Editing
Week 2: Art (Sprites [100%], BGs [4/11])
Week 3: Art (BGs 11/11), titlescreen
Week 4: Proofreading/Coding [script: 100%, GUI: 100%, Extras: 100%]

I'm pretty excited to see how much I'd get done by the end of this month!
Last edited by yuucie on Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:45 am, edited 48 times in total.

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

Re: Those Without Names [Slice of Life,Siblings][NaNo2015]

#2 Post by Haze »

This sounds great! I'd love to play a game that explores sibling relationships, especially because of how close my sister and I are. Despite this, you got me pretty excited with this line:
yuucie wrote: Thirteen: Zero befriends him quickly in this strange world. They share a common interest in mixing and composing digital music.
Please let them engage in a conversation about EQ and compression and all the things music producers have to deal with. I would enjoy that so much! :D
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

yoshibb
Veteran

#3 Post by yoshibb »

You know, sometimes I lament the lack of real good sibling relationships in gaming, especially of the brother and sister variety. As someone with a close relationship with my brother. I'm looking forward to seeing your take on it.

yuucie
Regular

#4 Post by yuucie »

Haze wrote:Please let them engage in a conversation about EQ and compression and all the things music producers have to deal with. I would enjoy that so much! :D
Thanks! Unfortunately I'm not a composer, so my lingo is pretty bare...I was planning not to go into it since I'm ridiculously unknowledgeable, but if you don't mind and feel up to it, I would love a PM about music composition talk! Stuff about what equipment are good (and why), anything about EQ and compression, and anything else you'd like to add. :D Otherwise, please don't get your hopes up...I was going to use the sister as an unknowledgeable PoV sweats

yoshibb wrote:You know, sometimes I lament the lack of real good sibling relationships in gaming, especially of the brother and sister variety. As someone with a close relationship with my brother. I'm looking forward to seeing your take on it.
Thank you! I feel a bit sad that the common sib relationship is the "always at each other's throats" kind. I don't have a brother (I'm close to my sister and drawing from that), so it won't be too specific on them being of the brother-sister variety, but hopefully I'll be able to pull it off relatively okay!

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#5 Post by Reikun »

Oooh the story sounds interesting based on what you've said so far :) There are three endings so I'm guessing it's possible to not awaken as well? I'm interested to see how this idea unfolds. Best of luck!!!
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#6 Post by Googaboga »

A story about siblings, yay ;v;. I also really like the dream world setting. Good luck with your project. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes C:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

yuucie
Regular

#7 Post by yuucie »

^^^ Thank you! I'm pleasantly surprised that there's interest in this, even if there's no romance. I'm having a blast writing (which means unfortunately no real things to show till week 1 is over, haha.)

@Reikun Good guess! There might end up being 4 endings actually. I'm trying to account for all the variables in the choices. :lol:

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#8 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I love the art! The faces especially look very pretty~ The idea of having to find your memories and names seems like a cool one, good luck on it all!

yuucie
Regular

#9 Post by yuucie »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:I love the art! The faces especially look very pretty~ The idea of having to find your memories and names seems like a cool one, good luck on it all!
Thank you, you're so sweet!! ;u;

>>>Progress:

Finished writing the script early and setting it to the back for now so I can return with fresh eyes to edit/proofread/rewrite later. In the meantime, I worked on Zero's sprite set:

Total of 8 expressions. Just tossing a few here

I'm really slow at art;;; (*´д`*) Backgrounds will be worse probably

since it's taking an obscene amount of time to do the art assets for such a small project I think I will release the sprites/backgrounds as creative commons sprites after NaNoReNo is over. It'll be nice to give back to the community, especially since I'm using cc music.

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Love the art and the premise! Sibling angles always intrigue me. Best of luck :)
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

AlceX

#11 Post by AlceX »

The setting sounds really interesting. I'm pretty curious to how the story will develop. Good luck!

yuucie
Regular

#12 Post by yuucie »

Thanks for the encouragment @Hazel-Bun and @AlceX !

>>> Progress:

Finished Eight's sprites. All the sprites are done now (unless I magically get more time to do the side chars which I doubt very much) so I'll be moving onto backgrounds... :cry:

Total of 7 expressions. Tossing a few here:

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#13 Post by Haze »

yuucie wrote: Finished Eight's sprites. All the sprites are done now (unless I magically get more time to do the side chars which I doubt very much) so I'll be moving onto backgrounds... :cry:
Congrats on getting all the sprites done! They look great! I also noticed that the writing is at 100%. Good for you! :D

Sounds like the backgrounds might be a pain... I hope they aren't too bad, for your sake.
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

yoshibb
Veteran

#14 Post by yoshibb »

The sprites look great! And I know how that feeling about backgrounds, I'm the same way. I'm sure they'll turn out awesome though :)

yuucie
Regular

#15 Post by yuucie »

Sorry for the late replies, it felt weird to post without any progress..

@Haze Thank you! And thank you especially for your input on music production :wink:

@yoshibb Thank you so much! :oops: Backgrounds aren't something I draw often (or at all lmao), which is why nanoreno is so nice because it pushes me to actually leave my comfort zone and get some much-needed practice in. :cry:

>>>Progress:

4/11 backgrounds done. They're a huge pain in the behind because I don't draw backgrounds at all, so I've been desperately struggling the past few days...