Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB] [NaNoRenO 2015] [COMPLETE]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Thee Forsaken One
Regular
Completed: RE: Alistair++; Backstage Pass; Three Guys That Paint; The Reject Demon Toko - Ch 0; The Menagerie
Projects: Winning Hearts; Astral Hours
Organization: Forsaken Productions
Tumblr: ForsakenProductions
Deviantart: TheeForsakenOne

Re: Three Guys That Paint [BxG/BxB] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#16 Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Deji wrote:Arthur is wearing a quilt. I'm sold.
Lovely lineup! <33
It's a kilt, not a quilt (I'll forgive you since you're not a native English speaker). I am curious as to why they're wearing one, though.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#17 Post by Deji »

Thee Forsaken One wrote:
Lovely lineup! <33
It's a kilt, not a quilt (I'll forgive you since you're not a native English speaker). I am curious as to why they're wearing one, though.
(off topic) ...you know,I should know that. I was in Scotland and I love men wearing kilts and sporrans and... *gushes*. Something possessed me to use Qui instead of Ki... I blame talking to Quildreen on Skype too much :'D

STILL, COMPLETELY LOVE IT.
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Thee Forsaken One
Regular
Completed: RE: Alistair++; Backstage Pass; Three Guys That Paint; The Reject Demon Toko - Ch 0; The Menagerie
Projects: Winning Hearts; Astral Hours
Organization: Forsaken Productions
Tumblr: ForsakenProductions
Deviantart: TheeForsakenOne

#18 Post by Thee Forsaken One »

Deji wrote:
Thee Forsaken One wrote:
Lovely lineup! <33
(off topic) ...you know,I should know that. I was in Scotland and I love men wearing kilts and sporrans and... *gushes*. Something possessed me to use Qui instead of Ki... I blame talking to Quildreen on Skype too much :'D

STILL, COMPLETELY LOVE IT.
Yeah after I said it I remembered you told me on Twitter you'd been to Scotland but I figured I shouldn't hold that against you since it was a while ago and you've only been once. Anyway, probably enough off topic. :P

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

#19 Post by Katy133 »

Update! Here is one of the backgrounds for Three Guys That Paint.

(A larger version of the image can be viewed here)
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#20 Post by KittyKatStar »

I love the drawings posted on the fridge and wall! It's the little details like that.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.

#21 Post by Katy133 »

I'm trying to learn basic coding. (I've made the mouse cursor a paintbrush.)

ImageImage

Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO
Projects: "Hunting Fable"
Tumblr: wafflemeido
Deviantart: WaffleMeido

#22 Post by Ryuushiro »

1. First impressions in general? (On story, game type etc.?)
I tought it looks really unique and cool! It made me really curious about the story and the characters seem really fleshed out!

2. Any characters that you're already interested in? Or characters you're already skeptical about?
Really loved what little we know about Arthur so far, he seems really adorable and I'm excited to see him react within the game's story. But in all honesty, I liked all of them. I really wanna see how Alicia interacts with all characters, somehow the paternal relationship between adults and kids in games always interests me.

3. Which character will you probably try to romance first?
I can't tell, really! I loved all characters so far. I might need to decide during gameplay.

4. Comments on the art style?
LOVING IT. REALLY loving the use of textures there! It looks amazing! <3

I'm really excited to see this done! Good luck nanoing~

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR COMMISSIONS: { HERE }
DeviantartPatreon

AlceX

#23 Post by AlceX »

Woah, that background looks great! What technique did you use to make it?

Also, Morwenna's eyes stand out a lot, but I guess that's a good thing.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#24 Post by Katy133 »

AlceX wrote:Woah, that background looks great! What technique did you use to make it?
Thank you! I tried to make the images look a bit like watercolour on card to help with the "painting" motif this visual novel has.

For the textured effect, I took a piece of painting paper with a watercolour wash on it (I did the watercolour wash myself) and scanned it into my computer. I digitally edited it and used it as a top layer in Photoshop, to make all the images look textured.

This watercolour texture was originally purple and is currently used as the background image of my Tumblr blog. XD

The lines in the background is coloured brown to make the characters (who have black lineart) stand out more. Without the texture, the backgrounds are actually coloured very simplistically. There's almost no shading--but that allows me to work more quickly for NaNoRenO. ;)
ImageImage

AlceX

#25 Post by AlceX »

Nice, that's a pretty smart way to do it. I think I'll even try something similar myself :p
The only thing I see that might be a problem is that the backgrounds could end up feeling similar if you use the same texture for all of them, but you can easily avoid that by making new textures or rotating/flipping the original texture.

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Katy133 »

AlceX wrote:Nice, that's a pretty smart way to do it. I think I'll even try something similar myself :p
The only thing I see that might be a problem is that the backgrounds could end up feeling similar if you use the same texture for all of them, but you can easily avoid that by making new textures or rotating/flipping the original texture.
Since the original texture file was so big, I actually cropped different sections of the texture for the different areas, so nothing would overlap when scenes transitioned to other backgrounds.

Update: I've also posted a three-note guitar strum I made for my visual novel's splash screen: Link.
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#27 Post by Katy133 »

This is from a deleted scene, but this image shows the overall art style for the "mini CGs" this game has. Original link.

ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#28 Post by Katy133 »

By complete chance, I heard a song today that not only was about a guy called Nigel, but also seemed to fit my character Nigel's situation to a tee.

The song is called, Making Plans for Nigel. And it's a British song from the 1970's--Just the sort of "Mod music" Morwenna would listen to!

I've been listening to it a couple of times, and it's actually helped me write Nigel as a character, in terms of his current outlook on "his world".

A lot of people seem to interpret the song as the story about two parents planning the future of their son. But when I heard the lyrics, I interpreted it as being about a man with a simple, normal life, and is perfectly content with it. But the Fates (whom I interpreted as the singers of the song) have other plans for him...
ImageImage

Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Katy133 »

Poster designs!
Image Image
RAF "RAF" meaning: The image is of the RAF (Royal Air Force) symbol. Morwenna (one of the main character) wears jacket with the RAF symbol because she's a mod (meaning the British youth subculture from the 1960s). Mods are known for wearing these jackets (to keep mud and debris off their suits while they ride their scooters).

"Snip Snip" explanation: The quotation on the poster is from the game.
Nigel: "Has anyone ever told you that you're kinda weird?"
Morwenna: "Oh yes. Hardly a day goes by."

I don't know why, but I really like this one poster design in particular.

The figure is Morwenna. Saying anything else would be a big spoiler.
ImageImage

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#30 Post by Fox Lee »

Hey wait, did I not comment on this thread yet? Dangit >3>; HEY! I love your art style! Just the right mix of cute, serious, stylised and detailed. Really distinctive and cute!

I dig the concept, the diversity, the different fashion trends, the somewhat androgynous ladies, the idea of playing a Canadian bisexual middle-aged adoptive dad because when have you EVER seen that in a VN... Yeah I am into pretty much everything about this XD Oh, and I would chase Arthur first... who can resist a man in a kilt? ;p

I find all your characters pretty interesting, but actually most of all I'm looking forward to seeing Nigel interact with Alicia, because compelling parent/child relationships are pretty much absent from games at large (well, except grizzled misanthropic murderdad + little girl needing protection, which frankly I am well sick of). And well-written adventurous little girls are such fun characters XD
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro