Innate Imperfections [GxG][NaNoRenO2015][WIP][DEMO RELEASED]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!
Projects: Innate Imperfections (GxG)
Organization: SinSystem
itch: darksin

Innate Imperfections [GxG][NaNoRenO2015][WIP][DEMO RELEASED]

#1 Post by DarkSin »

Inna is 22 and a social recluse with a most unusual skillset: assassination. Under pressure of changing her ways, she takes on an assignment very different from what's she's accustomed to. Her new job requires her to look out for a 17-year-old girl while she is in college. What sounded like an easy piece of work – with the plus of turning over a new leaf – turns out to be quite the predicament for Inna... in more than one way.

There are currently plans for 1 romantic interest, and 4 paths.

Inna Antonova:

The protagonist.
Inna generally avoids social interactions, save for the ones with her contacts and clients. Contrary to her "cold" professional image, when relaxing at home she could be mistaken for any other regular 22-year-old girl.

Lillian Garland:

The romantic interest.
Lillian is a 17-year-old, outgoing college girl with a stubborn streak that she most likely inherited from her father, a successful lawyer.

Samuil Atonov:

Inna's adoptive father.
Currently in the hospital, his health waning with each passing day. He's the main reason why Inna feels compelled to change her ways.

Ray Garland:

Lillian's father.
A well-known and ambitious lawyer. He's rarely home, but when he is he tries to make up for lost time by spending lavishly on Lillian.

Mel:

Inna's primary contact for work opportunities.
A mysterious, brusque man with a mind for business. He appears to have multiple underground connections.

Writing: DarkSin
Art: DarkSin
Music: Noyemi K
Editing: Shadow
Programming: Helvetica Standard
UI Designing & Programming: DarkSin

The protagonist, Inna:
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... 38e265.jpg

A rough sketch of Lillian (Her design has now changed):
http://i1227.photobucket.com/albums/ee4 ... eacbd8.jpg

"Completed Games" thread here:
lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31461

If the novel is well-received, I might continue working on it after NaNoRenO. I'll be adding a lot more content, i.e; continuation of the plot, more characters and routes, maybe even a prequel chapter.
Last edited by DarkSin on Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.

DarkSin
Regular
Completed: Rituals in the Dark (GxG), Sweetest Monster (BxG), My Magical Divorce Bureau!!

Re: Innate Imperfections [Action/Drama] [GxG] [NaNoRenO 2015

#2 Post by DarkSin »

Hello! :) Here's an update on our status. I made a logo for the novel, and completed Inna's side-sprite. I've updated the opening post with the new content. I'm currently working on Lillian's sprite. I've also made some progress with the UI.

desulishor and I are actively working on the writing. The framework was fleshed out prior to the start of NaNoRenO.

Noyemi K has composed 2 brilliant tracks for us so far. So yeah, we're working hard, and are making steady progress. We are determined to finish this by the end of March! :P

Noyemi K
Regular
Completed: Pimiko Plus
Projects: Pairs, Monochrome Blues
Organization: Delmunsoft
Deviantart: NoyemiK
Github: NoyemiK
Soundcloud: mishkahd

#3 Post by Noyemi K »

I've been hard at work on the score for this game and so far I'm about 43% done.

Here's one of the tracks!
Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Please consider hiring me to work on your game.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#4 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Having an assassin protagonist is very interesting and synopsis sounds intriguing! The age gap is quite large though :O It will be cool to see how you play that out.

Your sprite work is very nice and clean, I like it! Good luck with finishing the game :)

DarkSin
Regular

#5 Post by DarkSin »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Having an assassin protagonist is very interesting and synopsis sounds intriguing! The age gap is quite large though :O It will be cool to see how you play that out.

Your sprite work is very nice and clean, I like it! Good luck with finishing the game :)
Thank you for the compliments! :) And oh yes, there is a significant age gap. That's part of the focus of the VN; the vast differences between the two characters =)

I've finished Lillian's sprite:

I plan to work on Mel next... and maybe, alongside, on the UI as well.
Last edited by DarkSin on Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowcascade
Regular

#6 Post by rainbowcascade »

I like to support GXG games, so you have my well wishes. The girls look cute and i'm interested to see how their relationship will develop. I heard 2 of the tracks so it sounds good. Keep going and make that game!

DarkSin
Regular

#7 Post by DarkSin »

rainbowcascade wrote:I like to support GXG games, so you have my well wishes. The girls look cute and i'm interested to see how their relationship will develop. I heard 2 of the tracks so it sounds good. Keep going and make that game!
Thank you! Your words are very encouraging :)

Well, needless to say we've been hard at work! Noyemi has almost completed the soundtrack for the VN (just one piece left). She's really fast :o

I have a little more free time on my hands for a while, so I'll be pulling some all-nighters and finishing up the game's art assets in the coming days.

I've designed and coded the entire UI using imagemaps; Helvetica's help was invaluable! There was some trouble with a horrid monster the gallery, but it's all finished now. Since this is my first time designing (and coding for that matter!) a UI, I adopted a somewhat minimalistic style. Though I do feel it goes well with the game's atmosphere.

Here's a preview of the title screen:
Yes, I like to use a lot of 3D in whatever I work on! :p

Here are some images of the rest of the UI, that you can click on to view:
Gallery.jpg
Yes_or_no_quit.jpg
Settings.jpg
Quick_menu.jpg
Choice_menu.jpg
Load.jpg
Oh and here's Mel:

I'll be updating this thread more frequently from now on. Cheers!

Juno
Regular

#8 Post by Juno »

I love the title screen! The sprites and music are also perfect.

I think the plot sounds very interesting and I think the G/G aspect makes it even more appealing. Since there is only one romantic interest, that leaves a lot of room for some really good character development.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

#9 Post by Razz »

Your sprite work is gorgeous! I love the way the eyes look; very pretty and unique.

Title screen looks great and is definitely atmospheric. I can't wait to play this!

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#10 Post by Hazel-Bun »

Very nice work! Keep it up :)
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

DarkSin
Regular

#11 Post by DarkSin »

Juno wrote:I love the title screen! The sprites and music are also perfect.

I think the plot sounds very interesting and I think the G/G aspect makes it even more appealing. Since there is only one romantic interest, that leaves a lot of room for some really good character development.
Ah thank you! I'm glad you like what we have so far =) And yes, since we have only one route character, we plan to thoroughly develop her relationship with the protagonist over the course of the VN. Each of the 4 paths will explore a very different scenario.
Razz wrote:Your sprite work is gorgeous! I love the way the eyes look; very pretty and unique.

Title screen looks great and is definitely atmospheric. I can't wait to play this!
Thank you! I'm really happy that you like the sprites :) Yeah, I tend to draw the eyes in this sketchy style XD

Atmospheric was what I was going for, so I'm relieved you think it turned out to be so. Thanks again!
Hazel-Bun wrote:Very nice work! Keep it up :)
Thank you! :)

Here's Ray Garland, Lillian's father:

I'll be giving a day to writing some portions of the novel, and then I'll lunge into BG territory! I'm aiming to complete them in about 5 days. Welp, lot's to do.

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#12 Post by Fox Lee »

Gosh, I love these sprites... they have a really pleasing style, sort of subdued but emotional. They really look like complex characters. I'm excited to meet them :D
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Noyemi K
Regular
Completed: Pimiko Plus
Projects: Pairs, Monochrome Blues
Organization: Delmunsoft
Deviantart: NoyemiK
Github: NoyemiK
Soundcloud: mishkahd

#13 Post by Noyemi K »

This is the "freakout" theme. I realized I had two previews up for BG and only one up for II, so here's it!
Music composer for:
Innate Imperfections [NaNoRenO 2015] | Blind Griffin [NaNoRenO 2015] | Locked Souls

Please consider hiring me to work on your game.

DarkSin
Regular

#14 Post by DarkSin »

Fox Lee wrote:Gosh, I love these sprites... they have a really pleasing style, sort of subdued but emotional. They really look like complex characters. I'm excited to meet them :D
Thank you =) And meet them you shall, very soon.

We're close to completing a release, despite a few issues along the way: the main one being my co-writer, who is now no longer onboard. The core art assets are complete (we had to leave out some things due to said issues, i.e; it'll be a demo, but you can expect an entertaining experience regardless), and we're now adding/changing things on the writing/coding side. You can expect a release later on today. Cheers!

DarkSin
Regular

#15 Post by DarkSin »

And the initial release is out. You can view/download it here:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=31461

Needless to say, it still needs a significant amount of work. I'll be polishing/finishing it up in the coming days.