PIRATES! [Adventure] [NaNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
CynoR

PIRATES! [Adventure] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by CynoR »

PIRATES! (working title)

You play the game as a girl who was once an inhabitant of a very isolated island town somewhere out there in the vast ocean - that's inhabitant in the past tense, though, because the game begins with you being evicted from your lovely home as you once knew it after being accused of heinous crimes against the village people! Did I mention, by the way, that the general moral view of these island people is a very strict one, and you might not actually be as evil a person as they're making you out to be? Oh, and also, they're putting four other unlucky souls into exile on the same day as you, because screw those guys.

So it's now up to you, and your four new companions of varying degrees of actual guilt, to set sail and head somewhere far away from this strange island in the middle of nowhere, and to go and find your fame and fortune on the seven seas! Unfortunately, your crew seems a bit resigned to their fate, and aren't as enthusiastic about a new life of journey and adventure as you are - that means it's up to you, as self-appointed Captain of the ship, to get them into shape and to become the most fearsome crew of pirates (I mean, you are technically pirates, right?) that the world has ever seen!!

... Either that, or they'll all grow to hate you, they'll throw a mutiny, and you'll all get stranded somewhere and most likely die.

---

Hello, everyone out there reading this!

I'm CynoR, writer and director for Cynosoft - a group of friends based in the UK with varying degrees of VN experience - and we're going to be working together this March on a game called 'PIRATES!' for NaNoRenO 2015 (that's a working title, we'll hopefully come up with something a bit better than that before the end of the month). At this very moment, we have absolutely nothing to show for ourselves, and we realise that's a bit of a problem when it comes to getting you excited about our project, however we've only really just come to the conclusion right about now that this is a project we can all commit to and work towards creating together this month.

So introductions and information about the game itself will have to come later (hopefully that means tomorrow, one day wasted is enough as it is on such a strict time schedule...), but for now, this is just a small notice that Cynosoft is go, and we hope to be adding one more game to the pile of those made for 2015's NaNoRenO!

See you around!!

- R.
Last edited by CynoR on Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

Re: PIRATES! [Adventure] [NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by KittyKatStar »

I know you have nothing to show yet, but I can tell the group is very excited and passionate. I look forward to more details, and I always love a good pirate story. I get rather hooked on them.

CynoR

#3 Post by CynoR »

Thanks for the kind words! The community here seems very warming and welcoming so I'm looking forward to getting to know you all through this event. Hopefully we don't disappoint for those who love a good nautical tale! :)

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

I agree with Kitty, pirate stories are fun. I'll also be here looking forward to more. Good luck you guys :mrgreen:.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

CynoR

#5 Post by CynoR »

Thanks for your pre-emptive support, Googaboga! It's much appreciated. :D

So, we're a couple of days into NaNoRenO now, and what do we have to show for ourselves? Unfortunately, still nothing really that tangible - but I assure you that doesn't mean we've been sitting around doing nothing! ... It's just all been planning and organising and all that boring administrative stuff. But a good plan is the foundation for a great project, right? In any case, a benefit to this planning we've been doing is that we actually know what our story is now, so that's a step in the right direction that we didn't have on March 1st I guess. (Great, after 3 days we're pretty much at the point people were at before NaNoRenO had even started...)

Anyways, on to that story stuff - here's a blurb to give you a slightly more specific idea of what our game is about rather than just 'PIRATES!' (that's still our working title, by the way):

---

You play the game as a girl who was once an inhabitant of a very isolated island town somewhere out there in the vast ocean - that's inhabitant in the past tense, though, because the game begins with you being evicted from your lovely home as you once knew it after being accused of heinous crimes against the village people! Did I mention, by the way, that the general moral view of these island people is a very strict one, and you might not actually be as evil a person as they're making you out to be? Oh, and also, they're putting four other unlucky souls into exile on the same day as you, because screw those guys.

So it's now up to you, and your four new companions of varying degrees of actual guilt, to set sail and head somewhere far away from this strange island in the middle of nowhere, and to go and find your fame and fortune on the seven seas! Unfortunately, your crew seems a bit resigned to their fate, and aren't as enthusiastic about a new life of journey and adventure as you are - that means it's up to you, as self-appointed Captain of the ship, to get them into shape and to become the most fearsome crew of pirates (I mean, you are technically pirates, right?) that the world has ever seen!!

... Either that, or they'll all grow to hate you, they'll throw a mutiny, and you'll all get stranded somewhere and most likely die.

---

Hopefully that's given you a bit of a better idea of what to expect! Our game is essentially going to be a visual novel / relationship sim hybrid, except instead of trying to gain favour with that cute guy to try and get his ending, you're trying to keep a ragtag group of pirates in check.

Also, quick note for what you can expect in the coming days! We're having a very fancy and serious-business team meeting tomorrow - hopefully in that time, we'll get some character sketches and bios done, so you can get to know some of the characters. OK, that's all for now, see you around!

mayshing
Regular
Completed: Once an Artist, E-Depth Angel: Pinocchio's Murder
Projects: Be Mine Mr. Divine, Mizuchi, Assess K
Organization: Altabe Studio LLC
Deviantart: Mayshing

#6 Post by mayshing »

This sounds very exciting and unique!! Love the concept and story! Best of luck with NaNoRenO!

Can't wait to see the results! This seems like it's going to be a fun game!
That's the way life outta be

CynoR

#7 Post by CynoR »

I only hope we can live up to expectations, mayshing! Thanks for your support!

... Gosh, I have to say I'm quite surprised with the amount of interest we've had even though we have barely anything to show. You guys are cool. ;u; You make me want to work hard so I don't let you down. ^^

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#8 Post by Harliqueen »

This sounds really interesting! Definitely one I will be keeping an eye on, can't wait to see updates.

Good luck with NaNo! :D
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#9 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

'as self-appointed Captain of the ship' pfft, sounds funny XD I look forward to seeing your WiPs for the project :) Good luck!