Lost Heroes [Legend of Zelda fangame][GxB][NaNoRenO2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
yoshibb
Veteran

Lost Heroes [Legend of Zelda fangame][GxB][NaNoRenO2015]

#1 Post by yoshibb »

Hello All! I’m fairly new around here or at least I haven’t posted much. I recently began to learn ren’py in a desire to make my own visual novel. While that project is on the way, I wanted to take a little break to participate in my first NaNoRenO project.
And as you can see, it is a Legend of Zelda fan game. To say I’ve been thinking about this for a long time is an understatement. I’ve loved Ocarina of Time as probably my favorite game of my childhood and I’ve always adored the characters. In particular, I was one of those girls who kind of, sort of, wanted to romance Link. And while I’ve seen some fan games out there giving you the ability to date the beautiful women of the Zelda universe, not so much for the hero himself.

So this is going to be my little take on that. In order for me to limit my scope this is a strictly GxB game with one romance option. All art and writing will done by myself, but I will be attempting to keep as close to the original canon as possible, although I may take a few liberties here and there ;). It will be a fun blend of comedy, adventure, and romance that I hope you all will enjoy!

Synopsis:

The story takes place three years after the events of Ocarina of Time. In yet another alternate Ocarina of Time timeline (I know there are enough of those already), after alerting a young Princess Zelda of Ganondorf’s real intentions, he decides to remain an adult for reasons that are his own. However, ominous things begin to happen making some wonder if threat of evil is at an end.

In the midst of this, a travelling hero named Orson pays a visit with our protagonist, Kietha. Through a series of events, Kietha ends up embroiled in an age old conflict while attempting to find her own path in life.

Main Characters:

Kietha (protagonist)
Wisecracking, sharp, unrealistic dreamer. Kietha comes from a far away tropical land that’s more known for their tourism than their fairytales. That has never stopped her from obsessing over heroes and fairytales, though, and one day dreaming of becoming one herself. She ends up falling for the words of travelling hero and running away from home to be protégé to Orson. It’s only after that she realizes her mistake, Orson is a world class swindler and Kietha is a coward, deathly afraid of even the smallest of monsters.

Link
Polite, caring, and selfless. Known across the land as the Hero of Time and savior of Hyrule, from the outside he is the perfect painting of a fairytale hero. However, his years of being forever connected to destiny and legends have affected him in ways that not many people can see. In order to be the role model everyone expects him to be, he’s locked away his true self.

Side Characters:

Orson

A pompous, self-centered, master manipulator. He travels the world under the guise of a hero for hire. Those who fall for his tricks are taken for all that they are worth. His talents include running, hiding, and having a decent idea of how a sword works. However, as harmless as he looks he’s still not to be taken lightly less you want to find a knife in your back.

Zelda

Kind yet firm. After the death of her father, she was made Queen of Hyrule at a young age. She is the primary force behind the resurrection of Hyrule to its formal glory before the time of Ganondorf. In lighter times, she treats Link as a brother, as they are both prone to bickering when it comes to the dangerous quests that he partakes in. However, by ignoring potential warning signs in her effort for peace, an evil has begun to take root in the shadows.

Erina

Smart, patient, but evil to her core. An earth mage and once a faithful follower of Ganondorf, she was unable to stop the end of her master’s glorious reign. For the past three years she’s been silently gathering power and knowledge in order to free Ganondorf from the sacred realm. The mysterious disappearances of the sages and the recent influx of monsters and minions are her doing.

Ganondorf

Arrogant, power-hungry, king of evil. Even in his prison, Ganondorf has continued to plot with Erina behind the scenes. It’s unknown what his ultimate scheme is, but in his time of forced solitude, he has developed a deep seeded hatred for the hero that put him there. He will stop at nothing to make him suffer.

Plans and Progress Report:

I intend to have 6 character sprites, 2-3 cgs, and around 25k – 30k words. The game will have two (maybe three) endings with slight variations based on your choices. For any updates on my progress you can check here or on my twitter page. This will be a solo made VN so I will be using ren’py’s default GUI and free to use music.

Outline and concept art: 100%
Script: 100%
Sprites: 100%
CGs: 100%
Backgrounds: 100%
Coding/Writing: 100%
Bug check/editing/proofreading: 100%

Game made with Ren'Py
All music royalty free found here: http://incompetech.com/music/
All sound effects royalty free found here: http://www.freesfx.co.uk/
All things Legend of Zelda belong to the company Nintendo. This game is free to play.
Last edited by yoshibb on Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:35 pm, edited 9 times in total.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

Re: Lost Heroes [Legend of Zelda fangame][GxB][NaNoRenO2015]

#2 Post by KittyKatStar »

Yesss been looking forward to this one.

Good luck with the nano. >o<

yoshibb
Veteran

#3 Post by yoshibb »

KittyKatStar wrote:Yesss been looking forward to this one.

Good luck with the nano. >o<
Thanks! I will do my best to do it justice.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#4 Post by Googaboga »

I looove the Zelda franchise, so it's pretty neat to see it mentioned here, as a game no less :mrgreen:. I am a little confused at what you mean by 'he decides to remain an adult'. But anyways this sounds like it'll be cool.

Good luck!
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

#5 Post by Guest »

Googaboga wrote:I looove the Zelda franchise, so it's pretty neat to see it mentioned here, as a game no less :mrgreen:. I am a little confused at what you mean by 'he decides to remain an adult'. But anyways this sounds like it'll be cool.

Good luck!
Well, there's three official OoT Zelda timelines. The one where he goes back in time to continue on with his childhood which leads to the events of Majora's Mask. Then there's the timeline from the seven years later where Link actually no longer exists when he returns to the past. Then there's even one where he dies in the fight with Ganondorf.

Basically, my story is in timeline of "what if he stayed in the future" and didn't go back to the past. Partially for character exploration reasons (how would it effect you to lose a very significant seven years of development) but also because of a quote from Zelda lore that the child Link actually laments that no one recognizes him as a hero.

Plus, his influence will indirectly connect to the back story of the protagonist. Hopefully that explains it a little better. I'm glad you like the idea and it's always awesome to see another Zelda fan.

#6 Post by Guest »

you can delete this post, sorry

yoshibb
Veteran

#7 Post by yoshibb »

Ugh, the above posts were by me. Forgot to log in.

Googaboga
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: https://gbpatch.itch.io/
Projects: Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Organization: GB Patch Games
Tumblr: gb-patch
itch: gbpatch

#8 Post by Googaboga »

Oh, don't worry I know that X3. It was just in the realm of your timeline that I had things I wasn't sure of. I couldn't tell if it was meant to mean that he didn't go back in time or that he did and was just able to stay an adult somehow. Anything's possible after all :lol:.

But anyhow, thanks for clearing that up.
In-Progress:
Floret Bond, XOXO Blood Droplets, Our Life
Released:
A Foretold Affair, My Magical Divorce Bureau, XOXO Droplets, Lake of Voices

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by 15385bic »

zelda is my absolute favourite game series so im really looking forward to this.

yoshibb
Veteran

#10 Post by yoshibb »

15385bic wrote:zelda is my absolute favourite game series so im really looking forward to this.
I'm glad! And also wanted to say I'm a big fan of your Halloween Otome game and I can't wait for the Valentines Otome :)

Finished Link's sprite, finally. I don't think I'll put so much detail into the other sprites but this is Link, so of course I spend like a decade just making sure his eyebrows are right.

I will probably update this post later with the first background too. My hope is to do the most of the art first (excluding the Cgs) and then really get into the writing and coding.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#11 Post by Harliqueen »

I've never actually played a Legend of Zelda game, but this sounds too good to pass up even so :D Can't wait to play it!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

yoshibb
Veteran

#12 Post by yoshibb »

Harliqueen wrote:I've never actually played a Legend of Zelda game, but this sounds too good to pass up even so :D Can't wait to play it!
Don't worry, I'll make sure to try and explain the lore in game so people won't get lost as to what's happening. I want everyone to be able to enjoy it along with Zelda fans :)

yoshibb
Veteran

#13 Post by yoshibb »

So I'm not great at backgrounds but I wanted to try it rather than just use screenshots from the game. We'll see how it goes with getting them all done. After this, working on the Orson and Zelda sprites.

yoshibb
Veteran

#14 Post by yoshibb »

Two more sprites finished. Courtyard is next and then perhaps breaking from art to do some writing and coding.

First post updated accordingly :)

By the way, does anyone have any suggestions for where I can find free to use pre made backgrounds for a more fantasy/medieval time period? I'm afraid the backgrounds might set my schedule back a little but, so I'm kind of looking for things like a bedroom and the like. Most of what I've found has been modern day stuff though.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#15 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

You're making fantastic progress! Zelda is very nostalgic for me, so I wish you the best of luck!