Partisans: 1st Offensive [Historical][NaNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
tigerrenko
Regular
Projects: Partisans
Organization: Red Viking
IRC Nick: tigerrenko
Deviantart: tigerrenko

Re: Partisans: 1st Offensive [Historical][NaNoRenO 2015]

#16 Post by tigerrenko »

Thanx :D

This game will be more about life and challenges of living inside a bubble of freedom, than about warfare. Since communist-lead uprising insisted on emancipation and inclusion of women in every aspect of life, it's only natural to represent them in the game.

Also, we got two more members aboard, David from Britain who will voice T. Atherton and Nikolai Mueller from Germany who will voice German Officer.

Cheers
Ranko

tigerrenko
Regular

#17 Post by tigerrenko »

We are in the news!

We're in the news (sorry I know it's not in English)!

yay for us!
R.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#18 Post by PyTom »

Congratulations. I hope you can get sponsored to get this translated - you may want to see if some embassy or something would help provide the resources.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

tigerrenko
Regular

#19 Post by tigerrenko »

Thanx Tom,

"Supertitle: Designer Ranko Trifkovic created computer game about partisans, Germans, chetnicks (n.b. nationalist anti-communist force in Serbia) in 1941. under the title First Offensive"

"Title: Virtual life in Užice Republic"

"Subtitle: Documentary photos were used as background for this game showing what real life was like in free Užice"

"Quote: Real life drama of inhabitants of Užice took place in 1941 after partisans liberated that city from Germans, and this is the plot of the latest computer game titled First Offensive or Užice Republic. It is a game starring young partisan Andrija, his chetnick brother Mitar, british officer Terrence Atherton, schoolteacher Marica, nurse Ivana and Olga from the People's Revolutionary Committee..."

By Aleksandar Roknić

"Game is conceived as visual novel, or narrative game. Background that characters appear upon are actual documentary photos of life from liberated Užice. Ranko Trifković created this game to share with audience what life was like in the liberated territory of Užice Republic and troubles of main charactrs.

- Game "Užice Republic" will chiefly deal with life in this free territory. Main character is Andrija, young company commander of a unit that took part in liberating Užice. He has high hopes that freedom will allow him to marry the girl he loves. Since she is also a commander of a company, he will have to explain this liaison to his friends in the Party. He also has more mundane problems like getting weapons and ammo for his outfit, high command wants to strip some units from his battalion, so he has to prove himself and get more prestige within the Party structure, granting him promotions and such. In a word, it will be a slice of life in Užice Republic.

- You see, everyone in there thought that war will last only few more months. They had firm belief that Germans will break their teeth on Russian defences.

- However, the game is not here to settle ideological disputes ((note - i said this because for my people ww2 was also a civil war and much heated debate is ongoing about rehabilitation of nazi-helpers the chetnicks. In many ways, ww2 didn't end for us, sadly, with people still being fiercely split between "partisans" and "chetnicks".)). This is a game whose main character has brother in chetnick forces. They also participated in liberation of Užice. I don't think rehabilitation of those paramilitary formations is good, because there is hard evidence that they collaborated with Germans and paraded together with another fascist paramilitary - the Ustasha. Germans are masters of bureaucracy they neatly dotted down how many crates of ammo and weapons were handed over to Chetnicks. If there is a tragedy in chetnick movement it is in their short sight because they didn't recognize that fascism is far greater evil than communism. I stick to the facts. Yes, chetnicks did liberate Užice together with partisans, but soon their political dispute become irreparable and soon after they sided with Germans. On November 1st of 1941. they attacked Užice with intent to expel partisans, but they got beaten and even flushed from their HQ at Ravna Gora mountain. This battle will be featured in the game, as player will decide weather to simply defend or actively hunt down chetnicks and destroy them.

- Game will progress with each day being one 'action' of main character.

- Player can visit the hospital, talk to his soldiers, visit HQ, inspect the frontline. When day 38. dawns, Chetnicks are attacking Užice and player leads his forces to defend the town. Such gameplay extends until day 67. when Germans assault the town.

Journalist asks: Will this game be a controversial piece?
- Yes indeed because this topic is mythologized in our society and as such is still hot and many will take it very personally and have milion and one complaint.

- However, game is not based on political relationships but human relationships. I am not so keen on the historical aspect. For me it is sheer amazement at willpower of people who pooled together to create life and work in freedom in the middle of closest thing we had to battle of good and evil. The entire era is ripe with human drama. Those stories are horrific and warm in the same time. No matter what people today think, times were very gray back then, even worse than today. Players will be able to chose their path. Many of the key figures in this war could have gone left or right...

- Thinking about this era I realized this period is ripe for entire franchise of games...

- There is a world festival called NaNo ReNo where people come together to create Visual Novels - which are more like story telling than what our audience knows as video games. It's a genre that is gaining popularity in America but also in Japan. I tried to see what can be made in a month, so I came to conclusion that this particular story could fit a month ((little did I know, eh?)) Americans and British that are involved with this game were amazed, they didn't know that as early as 1941. someone stood up to HItler and liberated territory that encompassed almost million inhabitants. This is a story about freedom fighting, a story we ourselves barely know and it should be close to our hearts. For us it was civil war but for the West it is still mythological war of Good vs Evil.

Characters

Journalist: For many of the characters there were no accurate data

- Yes, character of Andrija was cast after Andrija Djurovic, commander of Worker's Battalion, but I invented his brother and him being a chetnick officer because I wanted that drama. We will have a comic relief character in Terrence Atherton who is modeled after real British diplomat of the same name. There will also be a political intrigue as some ambitious comrades want to prevent Andrija from becoming a commander. Things are not black and white, players will have to navigate through this adventure on their own.

Who Wins

- This game has no winner. The winner is a player who manages to defend people of Užice, who manages to let fighters, wounded and party HQ evacuate. This is the tragedy of the game. Andrija and his fighters die, and Germans always win.

Coming this June

- Game will be presented to local and internet audience sometime around June, maybe earlier if we manage to rally the sponsors."

Sorry for the long post but this is translation cleared of journalist's errors (he calls Visual Novels visual novas etc

Here is the PDF version of the article

Cheers
R.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#20 Post by PyTom »

I meant the game, rather than the article - but the article is good too!
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

tigerrenko
Regular

#21 Post by tigerrenko »

Oh,

sowwy

well the game will be in English and there will be localized version in ex-Yu language family...

cheers
R.

tigerrenko
Regular

#22 Post by tigerrenko »

Now, it's time for music update...

this is the first tune finished for this game and it's a somber, haunting tune of a Chetnick song "Living Flame Bursts Above Kraljevo" (deals with death of young Jovan Deroko, chetnick artillery commander, who was killed by partisans during failed Chetnick offensive on Užice Republic)

You can hear the tune cliking here.

tigerrenko
Regular

#23 Post by tigerrenko »

tigerrenko
Regular