Umbra [Psychological Horror/Drama/Survival][2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular
Completed: Shadow on the Bridge, Time Labyrinth
Projects: Porcelain Heart, Umbra
Organization: Black Witch Project

Umbra [Psychological Horror/Drama/Survival][2015]

#1 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Once light is lost.

Once sight is lost.

Only fear remains.
The little town of Willow Falls, is about undergo a massive change. A dark cloud is starting to form that will take all its residents by surprise. Little do they know that their life is about to be tossed upside down as daylight is about to become something of the past. They will experience a never ending night, and become trapped in the fog that surrounds the once peaceful place. Sanity will be lost, and despair will set in, who will remain to hope for a brighter tomorrow?
Genre: Psychological Horror/Drama/Survival Episodic KN
Warnings: Umbra contains some slight imagery/depictions of violence that might bother some people. It also has mild language.
Story: Maelstrom-Fenrir
Music: Ziassan
Sprites: Chocojax
BGS: Chocojax
CGS: Chocojax
Progress:
Writing:
Chapter 1 = Done
Chapter 2 = Done
Chapter 3 = Done
Chapter 4 = Done
Chapter 5 = Roughly 60%
Chapter 6 =

Current Total Word Count: 48K
Estimated Total: 60k-64k

Art:
Sprites: Sprites almost complete
CGs:
BGs:

Music:
13 tracks currently

Characters:
Evan Cogan - The Doer

Somewhat hardworking towards his own goals. Has his own sense of what is right and wrong, a little self-absorbed and believes that if there isn't any 'heavy' harm that joking around and teasing is okay, even at the expense of others. If he wants something done, he'll do it no matter the cost or consequences. He cares about those in his circle and would defend them to the death.

~~~~~
Sasha Soriani - The Performer

Upbeat and likes to try and look at things in a positive light. She has a strict sense of following authority, and only breaks it with MC, and only rarely at that. She likes to be looked on in a good light with everyone, and doesn't like arguments. She puts on a mask if she is sad or upset to cover up her feelings to try and 'preform' for everyone else to not make anyone else concerned or make them upset. She wants everyone to be happy, and if that means sacrificing herself she'll do it.

~~~~~
Ryker Tricosa - The Mechanic

MC's best bud, together they get in a lot of trouble, since they fuel the worst, subjectively speaking, traits in each other. He is a risk taker and likes to live in the moment, and it needs to be fueled with adrenaline and excitement. He has little sense of morals, and has no issue with stepping over the lines society has drawn if he so pleases. He isn't really a bad guy, as he does have a code of conduct, but in terms of societal norms and what is accepted, he does look like one. Somewhat popular despite his rude and foul mouth, and devil like attitude due to his sports skills.

~~~~~
Antoinette Bastion - The Nurturer

She lives in a large house surrounded by a high fence and a fancy storybook like garden. Her frail body prevents her from spending a lot of time out of her house as such she is a reclusive, spending most of her time seeing the world through books and pictures, her parents send her while they are business trips. She likes to take in stray animals for comfort and has no problem chatting up the delivery people and nurses that come to check up on her. She is a very caring person and likes to help others out despite the strain it will be on her body. She is really curious, and someday plans on going on a trip to see things in the world, even if it kills her.

~~~~~
Tone Cadenza - The Thinker

Despite having a handicap of being blind, she tries to not let it get her down, and likes to imagine what things look like, and is intensively creative. She is a strong willed person and tries to not let things effect her. But due to her resistance, when she does crack, it is hard and devastating for days. She likes to keep to herself and likes to speak in riddles, metaphors and overall confusing vague language preferring to be an impassive observer. She likes to be her own person and won't let others tell her how to think or feel. She likes to make people think over things and try to look at things differently.

~~~~~
Reed Cadenza - The Guardian

He has grown up thinking he has to watch out and protect his younger sister due to her disability. He has a very strict sense of what should be. He is very organized and is a natural leader who will take charge in situations.

~~~~~
Image coming soon.
Trevor Cogan
Evan's Dad, he is a dedicated police officer and well respected by close to everyone in the town. He has been offered higher positions than what he is at, but turned them down. Even though he is just an officer, he is the 2nd most powerful person in town. He has sworn his life to uphold the law and public order and will not be swayed from that path no matter the consequences, with one exception, he uses his influence to bend the rules and get Evan off the record even when he should be on it. Instead coming up with other punishments for his son, with some extremities attached.

~~~~~
Image coming soon.
Mayvelle Cogan
Evan's Mom, a professor at a college in the next town over, she is very bright and sees through any types of deception her family tries to pull on her. She loves her family, and people greatly, and goes to great lengths and sacrifices to help others. Currently taking a brief reprieve from her teaching, due to Evan getting in trouble lately. She tries to watch over him, worrying that he falling down the wrong path.

~~~~~
Image coming soon.
Sierra Rochelle
Tone's Best Friend, a busybody who wants to keep everything in order, she fills her life with activities to keep herself busy and so she doesn't have to think about herself and her state of being. She is a firm believer in justice and studies law so she can make sure no wrong-doer escapes her punishment. She is very hostile towards Evan and his dad, believing they should be brought to justice.

~~~~~
Image coming soon.
Mayor Reatha
The Mayor of Willow Falls, she is a kind woman who thinks constantly about the people of Willow Falls, and everyone in town respects and trusts her completely, most would take a bullet for her.

~~~~~
Image coming soon.
Noel Sanford
A recently orphaned little girl. She is extremely bitter and depressed over it and has turned her back on people and the world, believing it all to be trash, and everyone just devils.

~~~~~
Image coming soon.
Pitch Cadenza
Reed and Tone's Mom, she is the Mayor's assistant and the 3rd most powerful and well respected person in town. She is an impassive person who tries not to let her own personal feelings effect her choices.

~~~~~
Image coming soon.
Gleb Soriani
Sasha's Dad, Sasha's strict dad, who never seems to allow Evan a break, and wants nothing more than his daughter to stay away from him, believing him to be a bad influence. He doesn't like the night and has enforced this belief on his daughter as well.

~~~~~
Image coming soon.
Ira Soriani
Sasha's Mom, also strict and disapproving of Evan, and just like her husband is nervous of night, and refuses to go out in it.
We know that Umbra is way too ambitious to complete in 1 month, so we've broken it into episodes (which is still ambitious for 1 month) We are only shooting for Ep1, for NaNo. Which will still be roughly 4-5 hours of reading length.
Umbra is a special kind of KN since, a lot of it takes place in dark with limited to no lighting sometimes. It relies heavily on atmosphere and setting. But nonetheless we hope you enjoy the twisted complex world of Umbra.
Due to unforeseen circumstances we are looking for someone to help with BGs and CGs, this is a paid position. However if possible we would like you to sign on for more than just Ep1, since we want to keep the style consistent. If interested send me a PM and we can talk over the details. We are going to try and make do, since we couldn't find anyone.
All questions and comments are both welcome and encouraged!
Last edited by Maelstrom-Fenrir on Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:45 am, edited 4 times in total.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

Re: Umbra [Psychological Horror/Drama/Survival]

#2 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Sounds like you are taking on something very ambitious! I wish you all the best for it, the characters are looking great already :D

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

Re: Umbra [Psychological Horror/Drama/Survival]

#3 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Auro-Cyanide wrote:Sounds like you are taking on something very ambitious! I wish you all the best for it, the characters are looking great already :D
Ya, we are just too crazy, and our ideas spin out of control. (mostly mine) We might not make finish it in 1 month, but we sure as darn are going to try! Ya, Chocojax's art is just so cute, I want to take all the cast home with me and have some kind of big party where we all hang out and have a good time, with pizza and cake!

We also been playing around with the notion of thinking about after NaNo is over, getting the episode a voiced release.

CrimsonMoon
Regular
Completed: Unplanned AMOUR
Projects: Scented Dream

Re: Umbra [Psychological Horror/Drama/Survival][2015]

#4 Post by CrimsonMoon »

Ohh, this seems like it'll be interesting! I like the premise. Survival horror too, this should be good.

Good luck with finishing it! :D
Updated: 06/05/2015
I make logo, request here (STATUS: CLOSE)
Newbie to making VN.

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#5 Post by Harliqueen »

It may be ambitious but it sounds like it's going to be great :D Good luck with getting the first episode done in the month!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

pickle131
Veteran
Tumblr: pickle131

#6 Post by pickle131 »

I really like the concept so far! Keeping an eye on this~
Sayuri [ freelance actress / singer / fangirl & stuff]

Nekobako
Regular
Projects: LiveLive! (NaNoRenO '15)
IRC Nick: Nekobako
Tumblr: homodachin

#7 Post by Nekobako »

Oh boy, this sounds like my kind of novel. I'd love to help with BGs/CGs except right now I have my own project to work on....<:3 I hope you find somebody!

Also I feel you on being too ambitious :lol: My team's concept also grew out of control, so we've decided to release a demo for NaNo instead of trying for the whole thing. I wish you luck on finishing your first episode for NaNo!

PyroOgre
Projects: Somnus (N15)
Organization: Vermillion Concepts
IRC Nick: PyroOgre

#8 Post by PyroOgre »

I'm really intrigued by where this one's going to go. Definitely one on my watchlist, especially if it's going to be as long a play time as you say.

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#9 Post by chocojax »

Here's a small art update! (Thanks for all of the support, everyone!! You guys made us super pumped up! :D)

I started on an Evan sprite 'cause I got too excited, and it turns out that we don't need it. :P
20150307-fullsprite.png
20150307-fullsprite.png
20150308-fullsprite.png

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

#10 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

CrimsonMoon wrote:Ohh, this seems like it'll be interesting! I like the premise. Survival horror too, this should be good.

Good luck with finishing it! :D
Ya, I do too, when the idea appeared in my head, my brain just went 'YOU HAVE TO WRITE THIS! NO EXCUSES! GET TO WORK!' I love playing around with how people deal with pressure and strange situations.

Thanks!
Harliqueen wrote:It may be ambitious but it sounds like it's going to be great :D Good luck with getting the first episode done in the month!
Thank you, we really hope it will turn out how we imagine it!
pickle131 wrote:I really like the concept so far! Keeping an eye on this~
Thank you, we hope we meet your expectations.
Nekobako wrote:Oh boy, this sounds like my kind of novel. I'd love to help with BGs/CGs except right now I have my own project to work on....<:3 I hope you find somebody!

Also I feel you on being too ambitious :lol: My team's concept also grew out of control, so we've decided to release a demo for NaNo instead of trying for the whole thing. I wish you luck on finishing your first episode for NaNo!
Thank you. And frankly if we don't find someone, we know we won't make it for NaNo, but regardless we will continue working on it, we are crazy psyched for it.

:lol: It is just so easy to spiral out of control isn't it? Good luck with your NaNo as well!
PyroOgre wrote:I'm really intrigued by where this one's going to go. Definitely one on my watchlist, especially if it's going to be as long a play time as you say.
Thank you, we hope you enjoy the twisted world we are spinning. As I've been writing it still stands to be seeming it will end around 4-5 hours length. The following episodes will probably end up being a little shorter 3-4, as for how many total there will be, I'm going to keep that a secret.

Updated with a progress thing, a few more sketches Choco didn't share, as well as a warning just in case, the 'survival' and 'horror' tags didn't alert you that some scenes might cause discomfort, either emotionally or mentally.

Thank you for all the interest being shown, it makes us on the team equally excited to finish and present the finished product to you all!

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

#11 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Here is the finished version of Phase 1's logo.

What is says will be revealed at some point in the story. But for now, you get to be clueless. :lol:

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#12 Post by Godline »

*gasp*
Are you the one that wrote Time Labyrinth?
I loved that. It made me actually like dungeon crawls. :)

This project seems exciting too. Good luck!

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

#13 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Godline wrote:*gasp*
Are you the one that wrote Time Labyrinth?
I loved that. It made me actually like dungeon crawls. :)

This project seems exciting too. Good luck!
I am, as you probably know we created it for Ludum Dare, I created the concept and wrote the scenario. Chocojax was also one of the artists on the project. It was an exhausting 3 days for all of us, but a lot of fun.

A later episode in Umbra is actually going to make a few references to Time Labyrinth, since they take place in the same universe. And answer a few of that story's questions that I wanted to include, hidden in notes and journals you find in the Labyrinths, but we ran out of time since I had to rush rush rush scripting the sprites in with the text.

And I'm glad you enjoyed it we put a lot of effort into it, so that makes me happy.

Thank you, I hope you enjoy Umbra as well.

Maelstrom-Fenrir
Regular

#14 Post by Maelstrom-Fenrir »

Hey there, sorry about the lack of updates. I could update, but just talking about how I made progress in the story is boring, and I was kind of just letting Choco do her own thing, but she hasn't updated lol.

So I guess I will. (after snooping in her layers)

First a story update: Story is roughly 80% finished. OTL It is already at 48k So it better be!

Music update: 13 tracks right now with probably 3 more on the way and they sound awesome.

Next a little art update, showing off something kind of special about Umbra. Since Umbra is heavy on its use of lighting and atmosphere. How the lighting shows on the cast is important, so here is a little example showing off (I believe if I combined the layers right) how the 3 types of lighting look, using Tone as an example. In the following order... I think (Choco your layers are confusing.)

Normal (Electricity) - Flashlight? (I think) - Candle? (I think)

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#15 Post by chocojax »

I didn't want to update because I didn't finish (or nearly finish) the main cast until recently, gahahaha.

So, to add onto Maelstrom's update, here's the main cast! All that's left after this, in terms of sprites, are the side characters. Yay!
Attachments
alltogetha2.png