Bedtime (Slice of life, Siblings) [NaNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Bedtime (Slice of life, Siblings) [NaNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Lazy ugly logo is lazy and ugly.
Their parents going out for the night for a group meeting then dinner, Henry is tasked with telling his three little sisters...a bedtime story. Yup, that's all to it. Dinner was taken care of via pizza and soda and had ice cream for dessert. They already naturally shower and brush their teeth, afraid to end up like the man living in the smelly house on the corner.

But that's not what Henry has to worry about. Nope. He just needs to find a book-oh wait those got donated to charity. Shouldn't be too hard to just make one up. Right?
I did say I'd finally make a post here when I got a decent amount of work done. Expect nothing fancy, cute, outstanding, or memorable. Since I'm working on this all by myself as a way to kick my tush into gear, I've taken a few...shortcuts.

For example, there will only be one bg that you'll be staring at. Just one. Same goes for sprite poses. No sprite for Henry, you'll just be stared at by three soulless triplets. (And the sketches for the sprites creep me out so much when they should be cute.)

Also, there will be bad ends, lots of them. A couple of them will be very obvious, and some of them only because the girls love butting in.

Enough rambling.

Characters

(Sprites will no longer be fixed up. Don't have that kind of time to polish them up. So Rhonda's stuck with that weird pose.)

Henry: The no spine pathetic teenage boy you play as. Watch as he gets walked over and bossed around, aggravated as he does nothing. (Actually he only does nothing because his parents raised him to never lay a hand on a girl, no matter how angry or upset he gets. Plus they would only scream bully to their parents if he dragged them back to their room.) Many times he wonders if they are aliens or robots.
Samantha: The so called sweet and innocent one, according to the parents. Into fairy tales, happy endings, and all things magical. Also likes anything pretty, her definition of pretty varies from subject to subject. Can't stand it if a good guy or innocent gets hurt or killed. Believes all robots are evil.
Kathy: Got so tired of her classmate pulling on her right pigtail that she chopped it off. She only has the left one intact on purpose to mess with his mind, or so she says. A typical tomboy, doesn't think that much unless it involves certain subjects. She isn't stupid, just not interested.
Rhonda: Believes herself to be a proper young lady, turning up her nose at anything that she deems unworthy of her. Usually gets upset if things don't go her way, but is willing to make compromises. Thinks she's smarter than Henry and interrupts all the time. Surprisingly the most honest of the three despite her blackmailing nature.

And replacing the bg teaser thingy with this lazy screenshot.
Replacing old pic with this one. You should've seen them before I changed their size. They looked so tiny!
Replacing old pic with this one. You should've seen them before I changed their size. They looked so tiny!
CGs will possibly be added, but they're not a priority. Will make 4-5 if possible. Music will be CC free, I'm no composer.

Progress
Writing: 100% (Had to cut out some parts, but not enough time to write everything I had planned.)
Sprites: 100%? (Not going to fix them, nope nope nope.)
Backgrounds: 100% (More than 100...haha...)
Music: 100% (Found them, you will hear a couple a LOT.)
Coding: 100% (Just need to add in the cgs that I'm currently working on, and add in the gallery since I now have the extra time.)

DONE!

Because I now have so much free time, I'm planning on taking advantage of this time to customize the menus and such. Huzzah!

Thank you for reading/skimming.

Week 1: About 16-17k written, unsure of exact estimate since there are names of characters and scenes included along with notes to myself. Currently have 3 main paths completed. There are 18 endings so far, 4 so so, 8 bad, 4 good, 2 best. Main bg is done. Character sketches are done.

Week 2: Wrote a little more, but currently stuck. Also was sick/burnt out for a couple days so I didn't progress as much as I'd like. Mainly worked on transferring the writing to renpy, didn't add in the 4th path I'm working on. Will post the lint statistics atm at the bottom. Also started working on a cg (and oh goodness does it look terrible). Probably will only make 5. (Deal with it hand.) Guess I'll post a wip teaser of it.

Week 3: Writing, done. Sprites, done. Backgrounds, done. Music search, done. Coding, JUST ABOUT DONE! WOO HOO! I could easily just upload this now, but I won't. I'm going to add a few cgs and a gallery. GUI....fat chance.
Last edited by Sunlit-Dreamer on Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

Re: Bedtime (Slice of life, Siblings) [NaNoRenO 2015]

#2 Post by Godline »

Cuuuute idea. I'd love to have a VN that is kid-friendly. :)

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#3 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

It was something that randomly came to me just a few days before Nano started. (But we do need more kid-friendly vns in the future, since I do recall a thread being made months back asking for any that were safe for kids.)

The best way to think of it, is to picture the Professor attempting to tell Blossom, Bubbles, and Buttercup a bedtime story. Bubbles wants everything happy go lucky, Buttercup wants action, and Blossom will constantly butt in if any part of the story sounds off or wrong. Haha.

Anyway, have been working on a teensy bit on sprites. But mainly worked on bg "additions". It's those "additions" that'll make up just about the entire nano. Without them, I have no story.

Hope you all liked/cringed at my handwritten "logo", hahahaha.
ImageImageImageImage

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#4 Post by Harliqueen »

This sounds like an awesome idea! I think the character sprites of the triplets are pretty cute :)
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

yoshibb
Veteran

#5 Post by yoshibb »

I'm glad to see sibling stories amongst all the games being created. It's not a relationship that I see too often explored and as a person who has a close relationship with my brother, I'm excited to see what you do with the story.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#6 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Thank you Harliqueen, and I loooove the floaty hair I saw on the mc's sprite on your nano. Looking forward to that one!

Don't expect TOO much yoshibb, since my siblings and I are a wee bit on the crazy side. Three older brothers, a younger sister and brother, with me being the eldest daughter. We fight a lot, but love each other. And despite how I described Henry, he's in denial about not spoiling them. (That's the real reason why he lets them have their way.)

Getting a lil more writing done, and I am cursing at myself for writing more. Doing away with some choices, changing some to bad ends or short normal/meh ends. (Added 4 more endings so far. Why brain, WHY!?) As much as I'd love to stick to the three mains I already have, this 4th one is necessary. Was hoping to originally have it unlocked but my coding knowledge is zilch. So it'll just be more tricky to get the best story ending. More rage for you!

Anyway, I think I've found some PERFECT soundtracks to use. However, there's figuring out how to properly attribute them on the nano and other things. I already checked out their licenses, but I just want to be safe. Will be doing a bit more studying and searching first before I decide whether to use them or not.
ImageImageImageImage

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#7 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

I hate double posting, but just showing I'm still alive and making some progress. Edited the op a bit.

I'll even add a bad wip teaser. Hahahahaha.

And I forgot to add this to the op. So much work left to do.

Statistics:

The game contains 997 dialogue blocks, containing 15,019 words and 83,820
characters, for an average of 15.1 words and 84 characters per block.

The game contains 13 menus, 1 images, and 12 screens.
ImageImageImageImage

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#8 Post by yuucie »

YES!!! A sibling story!! I can't believe I missed this. This sounds really cute and light. I'm looking forward to trying it out, seeing as you're practically done!

(I am also doing a sibling story this nano, so I'm just so pleased to see another.)

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#9 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

yuucie wrote:YES!!! A sibling story!! I can't believe I missed this. This sounds really cute and light. I'm looking forward to trying it out, seeing as you're practically done!

(I am also doing a sibling story this nano, so I'm just so pleased to see another.)
Yeah, I noticed you were doing a sibling nano to. (I was too shy hahaha) Looking forward to playing it! (And it's nice to see another HnKnA fan~)
It will be cute and light for the MOST part. There's going to be a few hints of bullying though. Because sadly, that'll always be a thing no matter your age.

Pretty much done with everything. I'm just taking the spare time to add in more things to polish it up. (I was pulling my hair out trying to get the gallery and ending menus to work.) Even made a simple gui. Who knows, I might even fix up Rhonda whose sprite is looking pretty....meh. (I think it's the way I shaded her hair.)

And just to show how much work I put into this via blisters on my hand.

Statistics:

The game contains 1,267 dialogue blocks, containing 18,697 words and 103,736
characters, for an average of 14.8 words and 82 characters per block.

The game contains 17 menus, 135 images, and 13 screens.

Never again am I going for the storytelling route like this. @_@

Edit: Whoops, almost forgot the teasers.

ImageImageImageImage

yuucie
Regular
Completed: NaNoReNo[2015] Those Without Names
Tumblr: an-na-ko

#10 Post by yuucie »

(Woohoo! HnKnA! Too bad the mobile translation was so..google translated lol)

Oh my. I was thinking the storytelling would have gruesome ends. :lol: poor brother, It must be tough being bullied by your sibs.

I admire that you're still going even after you're completed! I tend to die for a while once completing a challenge, haha. Keep at it! /cheers

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#11 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

yuucie wrote:(Woohoo! HnKnA! Too bad the mobile translation was so..google translated lol)

Oh my. I was thinking the storytelling would have gruesome ends. :lol: poor brother, It must be tough being bullied by your sibs.

I admire that you're still going even after you're completed! I tend to die for a while once completing a challenge, haha. Keep at it! /cheers
(That terrible translation gave me such a headache. Q_Q)

Oh there WILL be bad ends. LOTS of them. There will be lots of times you'll stare blankly at the monitor going "....What just happened?". Don't expect much though, hahaha.
I like my lil astronaut's head~
I like my lil astronaut's head~
I've been doing so much customization, I squealed with delight when I saw everything slowly coming together. Even if the buttons and such look simple, I'm still all YAY!

Imagemapping, such "fun", and I barely made any changes in the first place. Still like how it came out though. ^w^
ImageImageImageImage

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

#12 Post by Hazel-Bun »

It's always cool to see the trends that come out of NaNo, and boy oh boy do I love sibiling themes :) good luck!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.