LiveLive!(wtitle)[Demo][BxG(+?)][Romance+][NanNoRenO 2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Nekobako
Regular
Projects: LiveLive! (NaNoRenO '15)
IRC Nick: Nekobako
Tumblr: homodachin

LiveLive!(wtitle)[Demo][BxG(+?)][Romance+][NanNoRenO 2015]

#1 Post by Nekobako »

Hello! So this is our (myself and Pepperly) first time hearing of NaNoRenO, doing anything with ren'py, and seriously working on a game project, so we're new to this in more ways than one <:3 We saw a post about NaNoRenO on tumblr for the first time 8 days before March 1st, and decided to join on a whim so we could actually get something done for once, so here we are! Yeah we're a little late to the party but better late than never right :D

SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO.

NOTE: Spoilers are marked like this <--, but mostly don't apply to this demo version anyway so... Spoil yourself for the full game at your own risk <:3

Working title: LiveLive!
Genres: Romance, School, Slice of Life, Shocker
Rating: 15+ for some strong language and innuendo
Themes: Romance, Trashy Main Character, Unsettling Plot Devices, Death

Shu Jinkou is a pretty average guy with a more-than-average obsession with the popular mobile rhythm game LiveLive!. So much that he intends to spend all of Golden Week playing it! But two days before the break, he falls asleep while playing, and wakes up...IN LiveLive!?!

Characters
TBA

Team
Writing: myself (Nekobako)
Programming: Pepperly
Everything else: Both of us because we're terrible at dividing responsibilities. We're open to any interested composers/musicians, though. <>v<>

Progress
Event Planning: 100%
Script: 100%
Programming: 75%
Sprites: 100%%
CGs: 95%
GUI: 100%
SFX: 100%
Music: 100%
This is pretty much working...everything, so stuff is subject to change :D Also, the concept spun out of control very quickly, so we're aiming to finish a short (about an hour long?) demo instead of the full game. Thus, some of the above warnings won't actually apply to the game released...

Comments, questions, and advice are welcomed!
P.S. I know the story bit is vague; I'll probably add more later but it's mostly intentional :D
Last edited by Nekobako on Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:13 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

Re: LiveLive!(wtitle)[Demo][BxG(+?)][Romance+][NanNoRenO 201

#2 Post by Reikun »

Welcome to LSF and good luck on your NaNoRenO project :) You can mark spoilers by using the bbcode spoiler tags [ spoiler ][/ spoiler ] (without the spaces). It makes a white box, and then you can just highlight it to read the spoiler.
There's also a button for it when you make a new post!
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

LIZM
Regular

#3 Post by LIZM »

As a very dedicated player of a certain mobile rhythm game, I'll be looking forward to this. :wink:

.usa
Regular
Projects: Forget [not] that flower (hiatus)
Tumblr: bijuudama
Deviantart: meiayasaki

#4 Post by .usa »

This sounds good, and I think I know which game you're talking about xD...
Love Live School Idol Festival, right? I really LOVE that game, just finished playing the new event lmao
Anyway, good luck with your nano!

Pepperly
Projects: LiveLive!
Tumblr: pepperly
Deviantart: pepperly

#5 Post by Pepperly »

Yep! That's definitely our source of inspiration. Or really, Nekobako's? We were brainstorming ideas around the 26th or so, and he made a mention of being trapped in the game as a joke. We tossed it to the side and debated a couple other ideas, but we kept bouncing back to this one as random scenes and characters popped up. So we went with it as it was solidifying itself on its own. It's definitely tangently related, but it's also its very own thing, too.

Unfortunately for us, it keeps increasing itself in scope, and while we were sure we could do the initial idea in Nanoreno, circumstances and the idea running off with itself are forcing us to cut back to a demo.

Our current goal is definitely feasible, but I'm urging us on to see if we can surpass it a bit.

Anyway, thanks for your support! :> It's nice having such a warm welcome when this is our very first post.

Nekobako
Regular

#6 Post by Nekobako »

So things were a little rough for a few days, but we straightened out some really important stuff so!

Here's a line test; this isn't an actual sprite for the game, but she is one of the main appearing characters and this is the line style we'll be using!

.usa
Regular

#7 Post by .usa »

Welp, that game kind of gets you trapped in xD
Welcome to Love Live hell, once you enter, you aren't allowed to get out--it's true orz
Also I know what you mean about it being a source of inspiration, but not being the same! Like, I usually get ideas from games, and while just little things remain there at the end, it still came from that ~

Wahh, even though it's not a sprite, it's so polished it could fit (*3*)/
I love how you did the lining, with that little black stroke surrounding it (I really love how that stroke looks like, but I always end up not using it orz).

Anyway, good luck with your game and keep it up, go go go ~

Nekobako
Regular

#8 Post by Nekobako »

Quick update! The script is now exactly 50% done.

This is time/event-wise and not word-wise, so I'm not sure how much I still need to write, but right now I'm at about 15k words, so if it doubles... ;;

The bulk of this was actually written in pretty short order (I lost a week or so replying to a job offer), so my hope is to get the rest of the script cranked out in the next couple of days and then get into working on the sprites, music, and my part of the programming.

EDIT:
.usa wrote:Welp, that game kind of gets you trapped in xD
Welcome to Love Live hell, once you enter, you aren't allowed to get out--it's true orz
Also I know what you mean about it being a source of inspiration, but not being the same! Like, I usually get ideas from games, and while just little things remain there at the end, it still came from that ~

Wahh, even though it's not a sprite, it's so polished it could fit (*3*)/
I love how you did the lining, with that little black stroke surrounding it (I really love how that stroke looks like, but I always end up not using it orz).

Anyway, good luck with your game and keep it up, go go go ~
Yeahhh, right after you posted that
I got the SR Nico from this event. I've been more-or-less taking a break since then though, b/c nano is a priority :'D
Anyway, thanks for the compliments! We'll do our best! *salutes*

Pepperly

#9 Post by Pepperly »

Huzzah! I have some front-end stuff I can show. Finally.

GUI is now 100% programmed, though a few lines are commented out.

Also I love graphic design, it's what I studied, so it's been fun working on the menus and things. Once Nekobako and I agree'd on a visual style for the text boxes and other things (or he mostly picked it, I tweaked it some), I started taking over. We went back and forth a bit on the title screen, since first impressions are important. I pretty much did the rest of the menus on my own without his input.

I still need to do program in the names for the talkboxes, pretty up the in-game text, work on a NVL box, and program in the date screen. Then programming-wise I just need the script, but I have him working on some very basic formatting to make it a bit easier on me.

Behind the scenes, I'm trying to work on backgrounds in a similar manner as to Uncle Mugen's. I've quickly learned Sketchup is incredibly finicky, and I don't understand lighting and rendering at all. Learning two programs (and complicated plug-ins) in the course of a month is quite the challenge.

(Edit: Okay! I said what I wanted to say.)
Attachments
Yes/No! Big text, so you won't miss.
Yes/No! Big text, so you won't miss.
Options! This is fully coded, but the blank spot is a quick place for the credits to be accessed. It and the non-made sliders are currently dummied out.
Options! This is fully coded, but the blank spot is a quick place for the credits to be accessed. It and the non-made sliders are currently dummied out.
Quick Load? For the empty thumbs, and also things turn blue while you hover. There's a very small star behind the number, too.
Quick Load? For the empty thumbs, and also things turn blue while you hover. There's a very small star behind the number, too.
Save/Load screen. You can see the rough state the actual game's in so please don't look too hard at the thumbnails.
Save/Load screen. You can see the rough state the actual game's in so please don't look too hard at the thumbnails.
Title Screen! The stars spin when you're hovering over the button. My greatest achievement yet.
Title Screen! The stars spin when you're hovering over the button. My greatest achievement yet.

Nekobako
Regular

#10 Post by Nekobako »

Updates!
-The script is now 100% finished! Needs a little bit of editing, but that shouldn't take long. It's clocking in at about 23,000 words right now, but that includes diverging paths so....
- Most of the music has also been found \o/

Now that the script is done, we can finally go full speed ahead on putting things together (sfx, transitions, music, etc.) We still have to do sprites and CGs though.

Pepperly

#11 Post by Pepperly »

Busy busy. But I finally have stuff to show!

I gutted a library on 3d warehouse, and also one of Uncle Mugen's schools, adding the bookshelves and tables from the former to the latter.

Also put together a bedroom for our main character. I think all I have to do in terms of bgs is add a cafeteria, figure out how to do landscaping around the school (so it's not a barren wasteland), and then get decent renders and compile them in PS. Once that and all the spritework is done I can do the last bit of programming, which is putting all the visuals in.

Nekobako's currently sketching/lining the sprites. I'll probably get around to coloring during the rendering process in Sketchup/whatever.
Attachments
bedroom.PNG
library3.PNG
library2.PNG
library1.PNG

.usa
Regular

#12 Post by .usa »

Aww, this is looking so nice ~
And I'm impressed you can load Uncle Mugen's schoold building AND add things. My computer just explodes with the building itself ;;
Anyway, NaNoRenO is almost over, so do your best until the end!

Pepperly

#13 Post by Pepperly »

.usa wrote:Aww, this is looking so nice ~
And I'm impressed you can load Uncle Mugen's schoold building AND add things. My computer just explodes with the building itself ;;
Thank you!
I actually have two schools loaded in the same file (you can see the second one in library3), some extra trees, and I still gotta gut a bit more to make a cafeteria. I've been trying to work on a courtyard but landscaping is not my forte. It's going decently enough, albeit slowly. I've definitely got some lag, but it gets really bad when I turn shadows on, haha. I don't think I've ever had my laptop work this hard for anything before. I'm really proud of my beast and all the work it's pushing through for this project.

Thanks for the support, too! We're definitely nervous...

Nekobako
Regular

#14 Post by Nekobako »

.usa wrote:Aww, this is looking so nice ~
Pepperly wrote:Thank you!
I actually have two schools loaded in the same file (you can see the second one in library3), some extra trees, and I still gotta gut a bit more to make a cafeteria.
For perspective, Pepperly here and I both have gaming rigs (mine is Alienware and his is Asus ROG) so... XD They can do more than a few things that would probably make normal computers explode.

It's definitely close but I believe we'll make it on time :);;; We're both good at performing under pressure.

Nekobako
Regular

#15 Post by Nekobako »

Oh boy! Just a few hours to April 1st.

Things are...less finished than they should be ;; Sprites are still getting expressions, and programming is also behind. We're still aiming for April 1st, but we might either release a few days late or release a version on the 1st that's missing...things. And then release a version with those things a few days later.

Haaaah what a rollercoaster...