Forty-Eight [Battle of Wits][NaNo2015]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Kinjo
Veteran
Completed: When the Seacats Cry
Projects: Detective Butler
Organization: Goldbar Games
Tumblr: kinjo-goldbar
Deviantart: Kinjo-Goldbar
Github: GoldbarGames
itch: goldbargames

Forty-Eight [Battle of Wits][NaNo2015]

#1 Post by Kinjo »

Forty-Eight
(tentative title)

Forty eight heartbeats–forty eight men and women with friends, family, spouses, children–forty eight bright minds with desires, plans, dreams and love–

Forty eight bodies infected with terminal diseases.

You have been enrolled in an inhumane competition, as a test subject for a certain kind of virus. Three different types of the virus have been distributed equally among the other forty-seven. For testing purposes, the contestants are forced to shake hands with each other, spreading the virus to the other person. The contestant with the weaker virus will die, and each survivor will move on to the next round. Teams of two are formed, and the process repeats until only one team remains standing.

Will you make it to the end?

Team:
Writing: agentyoda
Programming: Kinjo
Background Art: Laniessa
Background Music: Raito
Sprites: YuukiCrossPudding

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

Re: Forty-Eight [Battle of Wits][NaNo2015]

#2 Post by Arowana »

What a fascinating concept! I'm a big fan of the survival game/deadly game genre (not sure what it's actually called ^^), so I'm very excited to see where you guys take this. Is there going to be a big emphasis on branching choices and coming up with different strategies? :3
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Kinjo
Veteran

#3 Post by Kinjo »

Arowana wrote:What a fascinating concept! I'm a big fan of the survival game/deadly game genre (not sure what it's actually called ^^), so I'm very excited to see where you guys take this. Is there going to be a big emphasis on branching choices and coming up with different strategies? :3
Thanks, I'm excited too! (It's been a while, Aro; glad you're still around to see this!)

The main idea behind the concept was indeed to explore different strategies and choices, so I'd like to emphasize that as much as possible. We have quite a large flowchart detailing everything that could happen and there will be an in-game flowchart as well to help players keep track of potential strategies they can use.

My only concern is the time constraint, which limits how much we can get done, but I still hope to make good use of my Unity framework and make a fun interactive experience!

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#4 Post by teacup »

Ohh my goodness, this sounds awesome!
I absolutely love survival games. Aghh, they're my favorite genre of all time!
Good luck, can't wait to play it. :)

Gospel
Regular
Completed: SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair
Projects: GENBA no Kizuna
Organization: GosatsuVNs
Tumblr: gosatsuvns
itch: gosatsuvns

#5 Post by Gospel »

This sounds super interesting. I'm also a big fan of this kinda story.
Also sounds like quite a lot of work for one month, though. Will we actually get to know all of those 48 test subjects?

Anyway, I'm wishing you good luck and can't wait to see the results!
SHINRAI - Broken Beyond Despair is a murder mystery visual novel.
To learn more, click on the pic above or visit our website: http://gosatsu.com/

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Arowana »

Kinjo wrote:
Arowana wrote:What a fascinating concept! I'm a big fan of the survival game/deadly game genre (not sure what it's actually called ^^), so I'm very excited to see where you guys take this. Is there going to be a big emphasis on branching choices and coming up with different strategies? :3
Thanks, I'm excited too! (It's been a while, Aro; glad you're still around to see this!)

The main idea behind the concept was indeed to explore different strategies and choices, so I'd like to emphasize that as much as possible. We have quite a large flowchart detailing everything that could happen and there will be an in-game flowchart as well to help players keep track of potential strategies they can use.

My only concern is the time constraint, which limits how much we can get done, but I still hope to make good use of my Unity framework and make a fun interactive experience!
(Haha yeah, I went on break for a while to deal with school/job stuff, ugh. Hope you've been doing well too!)

That sounds amazing! I'd love to see more strategy games in this vein (I remember looking forward to this game, though it seems to have fallen through). I can only imagine how challenging organizing all the branches must have been. Please finish this no matter what. :D

And wow, it's really cool that you're making your own VN framework. It seems like more projects are moving to Unity nowadays, especially the ones that are animation heavy (Live2D, etc.). Have you found Unity more useful than ONScripter and Ren'Py?

Kinjo
Veteran

#7 Post by Kinjo »

Arowana wrote:(Haha yeah, I went on break for a while to deal with school/job stuff, ugh. Hope you've been doing well too!)

That sounds amazing! I'd love to see more strategy games in this vein (I remember looking forward to this game, though it seems to have fallen through). I can only imagine how challenging organizing all the branches must have been. Please finish this no matter what. :D

And wow, it's really cool that you're making your own VN framework. It seems like more projects are moving to Unity nowadays, especially the ones that are animation heavy (Live2D, etc.). Have you found Unity more useful than ONScripter and Ren'Py?
Actually, it's funny you mention that game. I showed it to the others when we were brainstorming ideas and that's how we ended up taking the story in this direction. I really wanted to see that game finished too! Oh well. But we'll definitely finish this!! :D

It does seem like Unity is getting more popular, and I can very easily see why. There are no limits with Unity! At least, as far as visual novels are concerned, it opens up so many doors that ONScripter and Ren'Py can't. Having control of that freedom is really satisfying! And I actually still prefer ONScripter to Ren'Py. Can't stand Ren'Py's (or even Python's) syntax -- it's really annoying when I can't do something because I don't know what words to use (geez, it's just like real life conversations!) As such, my own framework is going to be very similar to ONScripter's syntax, which is why I'm calling it KINScripter (because Kinjo made it!) :lol:

Anyway, not to get too off-topic, but speaking of coding I've been working on the GUI (with Laniessa doing the art for it) and it's pretty much working. Just need to tie up some loose ends. But I'm really looking forward to getting more of the script and putting the sprites and backgrounds in motion! Unity has a lot of neat graphical effects that I want to show off as soon as I can!

agentyoda
Regular

#8 Post by agentyoda »

Arowana wrote:That sounds amazing! I'd love to see more strategy games in this vein (I remember looking forward to this game, though it seems to have fallen through). I can only imagine how challenging organizing all the branches must have been. Please finish this no matter what. :D
Hello! I'm working with Kinjo on this project as the lead writer. Nice to meet y'all!

Like Kinjo said: since we only have a month, i'm afraid we won't have an abundance of paths one can take to victory; in fact, I can count them all on one hand. I had to reduce the amount of choices as the project continued. But rest assured! The main puzzle is large enough in scope that readers should have their hands full with figuring it out.

And yes, managing branches quickly became a mess. Not story branches, though: branches of the main puzzle. Trying to form the puzzle from scratch turned out to be quite insane. The "Ideas" flowchart doesn't flow in the slightest.
Gospel wrote:This sounds super interesting. I'm also a big fan of this kinda story.
Also sounds like quite a lot of work for one month, though. Will we actually get to know all of those 48 test subjects?

Anyway, I'm wishing you good luck and can't wait to see the results!
I'm afraid you won't know all 48 test subjects. In fact, the majority of them die off-screen, haha. The visual novel's already looking to approach 20k words with the small cast we have now; I couldn't imagine trying to write 48! (Not to mention that the puzzle would become ridiculously complicated with that many players directly involved, haha.)

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#9 Post by Laniessa »

Hello! BG artist here. I'm here to give a quick update on the art assets!

All sprite work is done! YuukiCrossPudding did a lovely job on them, and they look wonderful.

The backgrounds are done as well - four of them. I'm trying to see if I can fit in a couple extra ones to have a more immersive experience, but it all comes down to time, really. In that vein, the UI design is done; I haven't done the extras screen yet, because I'm not sure if we'll have one. Other than that, all screens should be designed.

CGs are underway! We have started on one, with the lines being practically done and just needing colouring, as well as finishing another sort-of CG.

I have to say, it's really looking nice! Kinjo put together a test build and it was really great. Lots of kinks still, but I'm really looking forward to the release!

Attached below are previews of some backgrounds and a mock-up of the UI.

(On another note, I listened to some tracks by our musician, and gosh! They're all so lovely.)
Attachments
5.png
10.png
UI mock-up
UI mock-up

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#10 Post by YossarianIII »

Lol at the example textbox text in your most recent post. :lol:

I like Battle of Wits as a genre description...

No need to worry about not getting to know all 48 subjects. In Battle Royale/Hunger Games/No More Heroes 2/Take your pick, lots of people die with no fanfare...

The test subjects look pretty well-dressed for a mortal battle of wits, but I suppose conspicuously well-dressed people are kind of par for the course for VNs... (Not a dis--I like the sprite concept art!)

Sounds like you're making good progress. Looking forward to seeing it!

Image Image

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

#11 Post by Laniessa »

YossarianIII wrote:Lol at the example textbox text in your most recent post.
Oh, whoops, forgot to change that haha.

Thanks for the support! c:

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#12 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

YossarianIII wrote:Lol at the example textbox text in your most recent post. :lol:

I like Battle of Wits as a genre description...

No need to worry about not getting to know all 48 subjects. In Battle Royale/Hunger Games/No More Heroes 2/Take your pick, lots of people die with no fanfare...

The test subjects look pretty well-dressed for a mortal battle of wits, but I suppose conspicuously well-dressed people are kind of par for the course for VNs... (Not a dis--I like the sprite concept art!)

Sounds like you're making good progress. Looking forward to seeing it!
I think if we did all of the 48 subjects all of us will perish before April comes :"
and my hand will scream internally if those 48 ppl need sprites
More ppl die off screen, I'll have a happy right hand

Thanks! Lol I kind of wanted them to have memorable outfit, so I made some "extreme" clothes designs for them, but decide to use the "normal" ones, or what I thought as normal anyway

Glad you think they're well-dressed! I did extra research for the outfit reference, so maybe that's why :lol:

Extra comment for the backgrounds, I love how Laniessa made them, they're beautiful and sweet. Love the *piip* and *piip* part //slapped

Kinjo
Veteran

#13 Post by Kinjo »

Heyo, just a quick update to let everyone know how things are going.

Life got really busy for a few of us so development slowed down a bit. It's still pretty close to being finished, but we prefer to take our time and not rush a game that isn't ready to meet a deadline (that is the nice thing about being indie!). That said, we still want to get our game out as soon as we can!

Right now, pretty much all of the art is finished. That just leaves some of the writing and the programming, and maybe a few songs too.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Arowana »

That's totally understandable, and I wish you best of luck with finishing up! This is one of the NaNo games I was looking forward to most, so don't you dare forget about it. :3