boy [Friendship][VN][NaNo 2015] COMPLETE

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Rozume
Veteran
Completed: Munster Academy, boy
Projects: Coming of Age VN
Organization: Cosmic Visual
IRC Nick: Rozume

boy [Friendship][VN][NaNo 2015] COMPLETE

#1 Post by Rozume »

((Because I'm a dork and decided to enter NaNoRenO even though I said I wouldn't do NaNo orz))
boy
The new girl in school takes interest in a mysterious boy, and gets even more curious as she hears the rumors surrounding him.
Content Warning:
deals with the subject of male rape victims
Kayla* Jones
She just recently moved in and wants to make new friends, friends other than her loud neighbor.
*Name Changeable

Soo Kim
A quiet, curious boy who spends most of his time in the library, even during class. Rumor has it he slept with his middle school teacher.

Emma Forrester
Kayla's* neighbor, a loud and standoffish girl with some polarizing views on society. She wants Kayla* to stay as far away from Soo as possible.

Features:
  • Choices that define Kayla's* personality
  • Choices that progress the story
  • 3 endings
  • 1280x720 resolution
Sprites, Writing, Programming: Rozume
GUI Artist: Hazel-bun
Editing: ReikaAoyoma
Proofreading: Rinima

Current Status: COMPLETE
Last edited by Rozume on Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

Laniessa
Veteran
Completed: CDC, Cerulean, WBW, Helena's Flowers
Projects: Chomp Chomp, WaV
Tumblr: adirosa
Deviantart: adirosa

Re: boy [Friendship][VN][NaNo 2015]

#2 Post by Laniessa »

Ooh, is Soo Korean? Good job on the diversity in this regard! Good luck with the game, I’ll love to read it when it gets released!

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#3 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Frankly, I'm most impressed that Rozume is willing to explore a part of this issue (which is itself still very stigmatized) that simply isn't discussed enough.
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain

Haze
Veteran
Completed: Monster Uses CPU 2, White Fog, Times Like These, bond
Projects: Secret long term project!
Soundcloud: The_Storysinger

#4 Post by Haze »

Mad Harlequin wrote:Frankly, I'm most impressed that Rozume is willing to explore a part of this issue (which is itself still very stigmatized) that simply isn't discussed enough.
And you read my mind there, Harlequin! :D

I really want to see how you handle this subject, Roz. If you handle like I think you will, I'll probably be crying during some scenes. I wish you the best of luck, especially because you're entering NaNo late. We're rooting for you, though!
My first completed visual novel, which is at 1.3, it's final version(woo hoo!): Monster Uses CPU 2
Finally at version 1.0: White Fog

I make one song every week, all for free download! This weeks song: Synthis- The Mirror(Eliana Remix)[Preview]

You might ask yourself: If I could only save one paragraph of the work I'm writing, which one would I save?
Which one would I let go first?

-from Understanding Rhetoric: A Graphic Guide to Writing by Elizabeth Losh, Johnathan Alexander, Kevin Cannon, and Zander Cannon

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#5 Post by YossarianIII »

Hmm... this looks interesting, Rozume.

I'm curious, is this the project you referenced in that other thread when you asked about the role of plot in driving a story?

In any case, based on those brief character bios, it looks like there are a lot of intriguing directions this story could go in.

Actually, one of the reasons why I'll be curious to see the finished VN is because it looks like the structure of this story could be similar to what I'm trying to do for my own NaNo project (albeit with different subject matter and a gender swap), so I'm curious to see how someone else handles it...

Best of luck with everything!

Image Image

Rozume
Veteran

#6 Post by Rozume »

Thanks for the words of encouragement everybody! I hope to meet all of your expectations. :D

@YossarianIII
No, this is not. The project I referenced in the other thread is Solace from Winter, which you can find in the ideas section. ^^
I saw your thread, and while things does sound similar structurally, I'm going with a structure like Kishōtenketsu instead of 5 act. I really do hope it works. xD

Godline
Veteran
Completed: numerous
Tumblr: godlinegames
Deviantart: godline-games
itch: godline

#7 Post by Godline »

Yeah, this sounds good. Keep working on it! :) [I can't wait to see the ending/s you have planned!]

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#8 Post by Rinima »

Looks interesting
*sticks hand up for proofreading and attempt GUI*
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

Rozume
Veteran

#9 Post by Rozume »

Hey guys! Thanks for all the interest. I'll make sure I'll do my best. C:

Yesterday, I didn't do much because I had to come back home from my boyfriend's, who lives far away. Today, I'm definitely going to get some writing done! Instead crunching all the writing in a couple of days I'm going to spread it out over a span of 5 days, and then spread out the art, programming, etc. Even though I'm doing NaNo on SUPER HARD MODE I think it's best for me to spread things within the time I have, so I don't get too overwhelmed with everything. ^^;

Also, if anyone's curious as to what writing software I'm using to write this VN, I use Evernote. I'm still pretty new to Evernote so I can't tell you how to use it to make your VN (yet) but from what I understand you can put things into categories, sections, tags, etc. It's pretty neat! If you are curious about it, try downloading Evernote (it's free!) and fiddle around with it. Maybe you'll find it useful for writing VNs too. ^^

Fox Lee
Veteran
Completed: Where Ages Go [NaNo2015]
Projects: Swan x Swan [YuriJam/NaNo16], ♥ON, Guilded Age
Organization: Invincible Ink
Deviantart: foxlee
itch: foxlee

#10 Post by Fox Lee »

I'm excited to see this one! Not the least because there are personality choices for the main character. I find myself at odds with a lot of shoujo protagonists, so I like the idea of having some control over that ^_^; Especially playing opposite this other character, who seems quite unconventional given his description/themes. I definitely want to play this!

Good luck! :D
Fox Lee: The Girl Your Mother Warned You About
CleanDirtyFurryPro

Rozume
Veteran

#11 Post by Rozume »

I wrote Scene 1/10 and then took a break from writing and sketched out some portraits for the characters. Kayla's hair gave me a somewhat of difficult time, but I think it looks good on her. ^^

I'm going a bit slow with the writing, but I hope to finish the writing by Saturday and move on to sprites.

Rozume
Veteran

#12 Post by Rozume »

Made some concept art for Kayla with potential outfits. Which one do you think looks best? ^^;

Rozume
Veteran

#13 Post by Rozume »

I finished the script!!!
It's at roughly around 4,700... which is shorter than I expected. xDD Oh well, at least I got it done.

I'll send this to an editor, and then I'll work on some concept art. ^^

Rozume
Veteran

#14 Post by Rozume »

I've compiled a build containing everything but sprites and a custom GUI. If anyone's interested (and doesn't mind spoilers) you can get it here.

If you played through it, tell me what you think! ^^

Mad Harlequin
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Emma: A Lady's Maid (editor)
IRC Nick: MadHarlequin

#15 Post by Mad Harlequin »

Rozume wrote:I've compiled a build containing everything but sprites and a custom GUI. If anyone's interested (and doesn't mind spoilers) you can get it here.

If you played through it, tell me what you think! ^^
Oh, I definitely want to take a look! Downloading. :)

For Kayla's sprite, I think the third design looks the best, but gray isn't her color. What do you think about a soft yellow or orange?
I'm an aspiring writer and voice talent with a passion for literature and an unhealthy attachment to video games. I am also a seasoned typo-sniper. Inquiries are encouraged. Friendly chats are welcome.
"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."
— Mark Twain