Underwater Garden (GxB) [NaNoRenO2015] DEMO OUT

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Mickychi
Veteran
Projects: Current: Prologue: Caged Bird

Underwater Garden (GxB) [NaNoRenO2015] DEMO OUT

#1 Post by Mickychi »

Underwater Garden
The tale of a Mermaid Gardener

Plot:
Azusa is a rarity in the underwater Kingdom, the ability to use a special king of magic know as Aqua-flames, a rare magic that allows her to coax and bloom underwater flowers that otherwise wouldn’t be seen at the bottom of the sea. But sadly, because of her excitement over becoming hired as a gardener for the palace, over the previous years she’s become known as a recluse, someone that “works too hard” and “someone who is married to their work”. Azusa has grown tired of it, her past friends don’t even visit her anymore and she gets very lonely. All she really wants to do is make a friend, and maybe get invited to the upcoming ball.

Characters:
The MC, a flower lover and happy to be working her dream job of tending to the palace gardens. Not so happy that her dedication has lost her many friends. She has a type of Aqua Flames a special and rare type of magic that lets her grow flowers that otherwise couldn't be seen under the sea.
“I’m not always in the gardens. I go other places just like everyone else does too!”
Second prince of the Kingdom of the Carabu West Sea, he's quite dedicated to escaping his guards by hiding in a certain bush in the palace gardens, much to the annoyance of Azusa. Will she ever be able to get him to leave the bush alone?
“I didn’t ruin that bush, it loves me. It’s a very loyal bush, growing so I have a hidden comfortable space behind its leaves.”

The newly hired gardener that Azusa had no knowledge of until the day before he came. He insults Azusa's capabilities on their first meeting. Will Azusa be able to befriend him or will the two gardeners forever clash.
"I just don’t believe that you could have grew this magnificent garden.”

Team:
Writer & Programmer: Mickychi (Me~)
Sprite & CG Artist: Mashiro-chi
Music: Davisan

DEMO OUT:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/fs3r3 ... .0-all.zip
Shike's route only, temporary bg's and no Cg's yet.

Recruitment: (I have a thread up but haven't found the reply I'm looking for yet :( )
BG Artist crucially needed for 4 or 5 BG's
LOGO DESIGNER/MAKER (I CAN'T BELIEVE I FORGOT ABOUT THIS!!!)
GUI artist & coder - (Someone who can make/change the menu's - someone has offered to make the textbox.)

This is my first time participating in NaNoRenO, hopefully I can complete it in time.
Last edited by Mickychi on Fri May 01, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my WIP Prologue: Caged Bird!

kassikatastrofy
Tumblr: kassikatastrofy
Deviantart: kassikatastrofy

Re: Underwater Garden (GxB) [NaNoRenO2015]

#2 Post by kassikatastrofy »

Looks super cute! I'm excited to play it!

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#3 Post by Harliqueen »

I love Azusa's design! That tail is gorgeous :)

I'm always excited about anything mermaid, so can't wait to play this!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Gabylc
Regular
Projects: Crossfire
Organization: Agape Studios
Tumblr: attackonbara

#4 Post by Gabylc »

Yeah, mermaids! \o/

Azusa is super cute and I like the concept behind her character. Regarding the LI, I think I have a preference for Shike, but will I dare come in between his relationship with his faithful bish ? :lol:
Image Check our Attack on Titan fangame. Demo available here!

Rahnos
Regular

#5 Post by Rahnos »

Yes, moar mermaids~ :3 This seems like a very nice idea and the artwork so far looks very good. ^-^

davisan
Completed: Underwater Garden [Nano2015], Sweet and Spices [Nano2016]
Soundcloud: davi-aqsantos
itch: davisan

#6 Post by davisan »

Hello! I'm the composer and this is my first soundtrack for a visual novel. it was quite challenging to do.. So let me know what you think. :D
https://soundcloud.com/davi-aqsantos/se ... ter-garden

Morhighan
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: AIdol, When Our Journey Ends, Forgotten Not Lost
Organization: MysteryCorgi
Tumblr: MysteryCorgi
Deviantart: MysteryCorgi
Soundcloud: MysteryCorgi
itch: MysteryCorgi

#7 Post by Morhighan »

I'm super excited for this, yay!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#8 Post by distorsion »

Hmmmm, nice art. I'll just quietly add this one to my bookmarks.
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Mickychi
Veteran

#9 Post by Mickychi »

Alright, this is really late I know but I've just been hunkered down with Uni and my Mom had a major operation so I've just been really busy and couldn't get around to putting the final scenes expressions down until now. Anyway, the game isn't complete and this is just a demo of Shike's route only:

Note: BG's are placeholders and CG's still need to be done and placed

http://www.mediafire.com/download/fs3r3 ... .0-all.zip

I'll get around to updating and working on Tyne's route when I get more free time, I don't know when that is but eventually.
Anyway, any feedback on Shike's route would be appreciated - and will help me determine whether I want to expand it.

MitsuIsh

Re: Underwater Garden (GxB) [NaNoRenO2015] DEMO OUT

#10 Post by MitsuIsh »

Grats on releasing the demo :) I just finished playing it and I have a few comments.
  1. Sometimes (particularly after Shike's route starts), when the music changes, the previous song doesn't stop playing so the music overlaps.
  2. A button that returns to the main menu would be nice!
  3. When the game asks for confirmation (e.g. loading a save), clicking "no" rather than "yes" confirms and performs the action.
  4. Shike's sprite seems to have some transparent or uncolored areas, especially around his eyes. It's really visible when there's a colored background.
Comments on Shike's Route:
I enjoyed Shike's route and I think it's good so far. I assume that the current end isn't the actual end... otherwise it feels really abrupt how the game ends without Azusa replying to Shike's confession.

Mickychi
Veteran

Re: Underwater Garden (GxB) [NaNoRenO2015] DEMO OUT

#11 Post by Mickychi »

MitsuIsh wrote:Grats on releasing the demo :) I just finished playing it and I have a few comments.
  1. Sometimes (particularly after Shike's route starts), when the music changes, the previous song doesn't stop playing so the music overlaps.
  2. A button that returns to the main menu would be nice!
  3. When the game asks for confirmation (e.g. loading a save), clicking "no" rather than "yes" confirms and performs the action.
  4. Shike's sprite seems to have some transparent or uncolored areas, especially around his eyes. It's really visible when there's a colored background.
Comments on Shike's Route:
I enjoyed Shike's route and I think it's good so far. I assume that the current end isn't the actual end... otherwise it feels really abrupt how the game ends without Azusa replying to Shike's confession.
Thanks! Yeah, I was a bit hurried with music I'll admit so I'll look into fixing that for when I update the game.
1. I used a template by Giovedi here on the forums since I'm not good with that stuff http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 52&t=25338 - I'm hoping to get a custom GUI done for the finalized version though so that should add more buttons, and fix the loading save problem.
2. I realized that too, about Shike's sprite, and I understand why it's annoying - I'll try getting it fixed off course for the next update because it's really annoying me. I really want to get more expressions for Shike made to convey his emotions across better too!
The ending was abrupt I understand, one reason for that was the time constraint, but another reason I left it there is because I couldn't help but link the game to another plot I have in my head (Mermaids again!) which is why throughout Shike's route depending on the choice you make, the dialogue will talk about a certain unfortunate event. I'm thinking of adding more for Shike's route, but I might leave it as a teaser to players. (Insert evil laughter here.)