Break Up [Satire] [HIATUS]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
MasterPuppeteer
Regular
Projects: WIP Fantasy/Adventure VN
Tumblr: wolfganghelps
Deviantart: muhshroom

Break Up [Satire] [HIATUS]

#1 Post by MasterPuppeteer »

INTRO
Hello! I've decided to put my more ambitious VN on the back burner for now, and just work on getting a few smaller projects out first. Thus, Break Up has been born. It's essentially the opposite of all the generic romance VNs, and so your objective in the game is to break up with your SO (whose gender is up to the player!) instead of the tradition of getting a SO. I aim to make it ridiculous and silly, and hopefully it will have the desired effect. Absolutely everything in the VN will be taken from the Creative Commons. You can find credits at the end of this post.
CHARACTERS
"Red"
Red is the main character of the story. She and her SO have a happy, healthy relationship. In fact, their 5th year anniversary is coming up in just 1 week! Yet, for some reason that Red seems reluctant to share, she's decided that she no longer wants anything to do with them! However, it's proving harder than she thought to get her SO to accept that it's just not working out. Can she get out of this relationship before their anniversary? Or will she be forever stuck with someone she no longer wants?
ImageImage
"Brandy/Brad"
(For now, the gender is simply an aesthetic change. If many people request it, and I feel up to it, I will give Brandy and Brad different personalities and paths.) Brandy/Brad is Red's SO. They're a hopeless romantic, and utterly devoted to both Red and their relationship together. They're patient and considerate, doting and kind, and most importantly, they're in it for the long haul. It seems that they are just the ideal partner. Why then, is it that Red wants to break up?
"Lisa"
Lisa is one of Red's closest friends. She's hotheaded, and gets unreasonably pissed at the slightest provocation. She's pretty bossy, and will not hesitate to give you blunt, unwarranted advice on personal problems. She means well however, and her advice is actually pretty good most of the time, if you ignore the parts about committing murder and arson.
"Kyle"
Kyle is another one of Red's good friends, though he always seems a little intimidated by her. Perhaps that's just his nature. He's very soft spoken, and doesn't speak up for himself very often. Instead, he tends to just nod along to the conversation with a thoughtful look on his face. No one knows if he's actually that good of a listener, or if he's just off in his own little world. Although he's a very quiet companion, he is a fiercely loyal one. You can 100% trust that he will defend you with all the head nods and scowling he's got.
PROGRESS
Sprites:
Red - 100%
Brandy - 100%
Brad - 100%
Lisa - 100%
Kyle - 100%

Backgrounds: 100%

Music: 100%

Writing: 45%

Programming: 45%
CREDITS
Sprites: Fungii
Last edited by MasterPuppeteer on Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.

MasterPuppeteer
Regular

Re: Break Up [Satire] [Free]

#2 Post by MasterPuppeteer »

Brandy and Brad's sprites are too big to fit side by side for right now. As soon as I finish Kyle's sprite I will resize everyone.

EDIT: Pictures have been resized. And with that, all the sprites are now finished! :D

Enigma
Veteran

#3 Post by Enigma »

Oooh, sounds interesting, but just to be clear SO = Significant other right? The character design is very unique compared to the other games on the site. I think the reversal of the usual formula will be a fun change.

EDIT: I didn't notice the satire tag, I love satire when it's executed well. Is it going to be a humorous satire or a more deconstructive satire. it looks like it'll be humorous, and that's A-okay with me.

MasterPuppeteer
Regular

#4 Post by MasterPuppeteer »

Enigma wrote:Oooh, sounds interesting, but just to be clear SO = Significant other right? The character design is very unique compared to the other games on the site. I think the reversal of the usual formula will be a fun change.

EDIT: I didn't notice the satire tag, I love satire when it's executed well. Is it going to be a humorous satire or a more deconstructive satire. it looks like it'll be humorous, and that's A-okay with me.
Yup, SO means significant other! The plan is to be humorous and over the top, I just hope that I succeed! I find that some people don't find my sense of humor particularly funny, so we'll see!

Fungii's sprites are pretty great, aren't they? I was really surprised to see that no one has used their resources yet! (As far as I can tell anyway. Everyone seems to prefer tokudaya when looking for free resources.) Since Fungii's sprites are so customizable, you'd think more people would be using it so as to have little more uniqueness compared to the other free resource games.

Enigma
Veteran

#5 Post by Enigma »

MasterPuppeteer wrote:
Enigma wrote:Oooh, sounds interesting, but just to be clear SO = Significant other right? The character design is very unique compared to the other games on the site. I think the reversal of the usual formula will be a fun change.

Yup, SO means significant other! The plan is to be humorous and over the top, I just hope that I succeed! I find that some people don't find my sense of humor particularly funny, so we'll see!

Fungii's sprites are pretty great, aren't they? I was really surprised to see that no one has used their resources yet! (As far as I can tell anyway. Everyone seems to prefer tokudaya when looking for free resources.) Since Fungii's sprites are so customizable, you'd think more people would be using it so as to have little more uniqueness compared to the other free resource games.
Oh, I didn't know these were free resources, that's cool. When it comes to humor, not everyone will laugh, but I can laugh at anything provided I'm in the right mindset. Good luck on your project.

LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

#6 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

Hehe, that's a neat idea. :)
I guess you'll have to let them down gently...
ImageImageImageImage