Death and Other Practical Jokes [Paranormal] [NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

Death and Other Practical Jokes [Paranormal] [NaNo16]

#1 Post by Ghost of Crux »

AKA Bratty Kid Mysteries, The Game

You are Artemisia Roschild, and you’re NOT scared of anything that lives in this house. Not the weird spirit thing that always perches on the vase in the hall on the third floor, not the echoing ghosts that haunt the wine cellar, and DEFINITELY NOT the ghost that makes your dolls’ eyes and heads move.

The question is, should you?

There are many a weird thing in an old mansion, but what interests you most is the ghosts that haunt it. You can recall several that rarely talks to you off the top of your head-- that ghost in the kitchen cabinet that always steals your appetizers, the wailing in the halls that comes from that guest room, the wine cellar with the elusive child ghost, and the attic-- which you're not allowed to enter. And today, you'll get to know them all! Maybe you'll get to help them move on.

That is, if the maids don't tattle.
-----------------
Features:
> 7 endings
> 4 locations (and maybe a secret one?)
> Point and click investigation, with notes to help you with pointers on how to approach the ghosts
> OR BYPASS that part entirely, by using the visual cues to deduce their personalities straight up!
> 4 ghosts to try to talk to!
> Give cookies to ghosts!!!
> Maids who are too interested in getting you grounded when you're being bratty.
-----------------
Rejoice: Lightsaber Javert Ending Added
The Pretty Pictures Section

WIP Background

This is the first project in which I'm working with someone else! Thanks so much, saguaro-- who will be doing the programming (and making this game a lot more playable, since otherwise you'd have to take notes yourself) and Li'l Magic, who'll be doing the music. Seriously, I'm Excite.

Writing, Art: Namio (Ghost of Crux)
Programming, SFX, GUI: Saguaro
Music: Li'l Magic

Progress:
Writing: ~20%
Sprites: 20%
Background: 10%
Last edited by Ghost of Crux on Thu Mar 10, 2016 4:13 am, edited 10 times in total.
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

fmjaye
Regular
Projects: Blackout City (webcomic)
Tumblr: fakemagicjaye

Re: Death and Other Practical Jokes [Paranormal] [NaNo16]

#2 Post by fmjaye »

This sounds really cool! I'm interested to get to know these characters. (ノ・◇・)ノ*:・゚✧ This concept is so intriguing and cute and a little creepy? It's great! Hehe.
(I think I've seen threads for a couple other games you're working on? They all seem so cool!)
Image Image
Artist on [redacted] life NaNoRenO 2016

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Ghost of Crux »

fmjaye wrote:This sounds really cool! I'm interested to get to know these characters. (ノ・◇・)ノ*:・゚✧ This concept is so intriguing and cute and a little creepy? It's great! Hehe.
(I think I've seen threads for a couple other games you're working on? They all seem so cool!)
Thank you! That's really a compliment because I love Artie AHAHA my taste in characters is awful
The game is pretty lighthearted, though-- but perhaps in a weird way. Because like... Artemisia is still looking at things through rose-colored glasses, since she's always been close to ghosts, and she's immune to the fact that some are truly terrifying. So basically it'll be like... [insert sprite of some unholy abomination]
Artemisia: I like you!
Though some parts can be pretty terrifying hAHA

(Thank you!! I really like your art, by the way. So pretty * u *)
Image Image

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#4 Post by KittyKatStar »

I love the concept, especially the maids and getting grounded. XD It seems like a fun (if a little creepy) ghost story.

Good luck >w<

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Ghost of Crux »

KittyKatStar wrote:I love the concept, especially the maids and getting grounded. XD It seems like a fun (if a little creepy) ghost story.

Good luck >w<
THE MAIDS ARE MEAN. They take away your art supplies, then try to get you grounded. So rude.

Thank you!
Image Image

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#6 Post by Weenily »

I love the title!! And the game summary just got me hooked. A point and click investigation game with this story sounds fun! I also love Artemisia's concept omg. Bratty kid who's chill with ghosts? Absolutely my favorite kind of kid. Gonna befriend all the unholy abominations (hopefully?) and piss off all the maids!

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Weenily wrote:I love the title!! And the game summary just got me hooked. A point and click investigation game with this story sounds fun! I also love Artemisia's concept omg. Bratty kid who's chill with ghosts? Absolutely my favorite kind of kid. Gonna befriend all the unholy abominations (hopefully?) and piss off all the maids!
Haha, thanks! :'D
Artemisia is a huge brat AHAHA, but she also is really a huge child and sees these two ghosts, Alton and Claire, as her parents.
There's only one ghost you probably won't be able to befriend, but you can always try to give them all cookies!
Don't piss them off too much, though-- you can and will get grounded.

And just because I had a good laugh writing this:
"I still have that Sherlock costume they got me for my birthday last year. It even came with a magnifying glass!"
"They didn't get me the forensic scientist kit I asked for too, though, and said I was too young to understand how to use it."
"But that's okay. Alton said that detectives back then don't even use forensic science, and they still catch the suspect anyway!"
"Who needs science?"
Image Image

Weenily
Regular

#8 Post by Weenily »

No prob! And oh nooo... you're just making me love her more!! Ghost parent figures?! That's too cute. I really look forward to hearing more about these characters and seeing their designs.

Awwww, oh well! I'll just hope ghost-senpai accepts my cookies. Yikes! Can't get grounded. Gotta make Alton and Claire proud.

And oh gosh Artie you cutie. "Who needs science?" TRUE. Science can't even explain ghosts.
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Weenily wrote:No prob! And oh nooo... you're just making me love her more!! Ghost parent figures?! That's too cute. I really look forward to hearing more about these characters and seeing their designs.

Awwww, oh well! I'll just hope ghost-senpai accepts my cookies. Yikes! Can't get grounded. Gotta make Alton and Claire proud.

And oh gosh Artie you cutie. "Who needs science?" TRUE. Science can't even explain ghosts.
ALMOST ALL GHOSTS ARE WHITE SILHOUETTES the concepts will be released, but won't be in the game. Sorry! xD

one ghost-senpai probably will kill you with your cookie and will probably eat it, too. Gotta make them proud!
The good endings actually have a mini party between your ghost-family-- which isn't just those two, but also some other friendly ghosts. Maybe the new ones you befriend will join, too!

True! Science can't even decide whether light is a wave or a particle :'d

Just finished writing the script for the introduction! This is fun.
Image Image

Weenily
Regular

#10 Post by Weenily »

OH LMAO THAT'S FINE TOO. I still look forward to the game the same amount as before! Seeing precious artie's face (maybe? maybe not?) in the concepts and Alton and Claire's silhouettes is good enough for me. XD

FRICK. GHOST-SENPAI THAT'S ALL SORTS OF KINKY. U NASTY. Are there actually endings where you can die? Omg. At least Alton and Claire could legit be your ghost parents then. !!! Ghost party sounds adorable! We can do this Artie, we can get that good ending.

Congrats on finishing the intro! I'm glad you're having fun with this!!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Weenily wrote:OH LMAO THAT'S FINE TOO. I still look forward to the game the same amount as before! Seeing precious artie's face (maybe? maybe not?) in the concepts and Alton and Claire's silhouettes is good enough for me. XD

FRICK. GHOST-SENPAI THAT'S ALL SORTS OF KINKY. U NASTY. Are there actually endings where you can die? Omg. At least Alton and Claire could legit be your ghost parents then. !!! Ghost party sounds adorable! We can do this Artie, we can get that good ending.

Congrats on finishing the intro! I'm glad you're having fun with this!!
HAH Artie is the furthest thing from precious. There's a sketch, actually, in my tumblr post for this vn-- here.

GHOST-SENPAI CARE NOT
Nope, no death endings! I need Artie alive for a future big VN project B)
That, and Alton and Claire will intervene before anything too bad happens.

Thank you!
Image Image

Weenily
Regular

#12 Post by Weenily »

WELL...SHE'S A CUTE CHINCHILLA IF THAT COUNTS FOR ANYTHING. Haha but yeah, her design is really cute! I love her outfit and how her expression is so smug lmao definitely suits her. She even has the magnifying glass from her costume! WE'RE GOING TO NEED THAT MAGNIFYING GLASS TO FIND THAT SECRET GHOST.

sOBS...Ghost-senpai...you're not only physically dead...your feelings are dead as well!
Oooh! How exciting, hehe.

Doodled
Tumblr: doodledmcfroodled

#13 Post by Doodled »

I'm not much for this type of story usually... But I'll probably try it for the 10/10 title alone. Plus, it sounds fun, and I love me some point and click.
Last edited by Doodled on Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by Ghost of Crux »

BE HAPPY THAT SHE IS A CHILD IN THIS VN. She does not accept "cute" as a compliment in the older VNs.
(Said VN is actually the entire reason I wanted to make VNs, 5 years ago. Thanks, Artie.)

ghost-senpai never had feelings to begin with
I'm not much for these types of games usually... But I'll probably try it for the 10/10 title alone. Plus, the story sounds fun.
AHAHAHA Thank you! (It's one heck of a title, I'd admit. It's from some NaNo Adopt a Title thread, though I can't remember what year.)
Thanks!
Image Image

Weenily
Regular

#15 Post by Weenily »

Ghost of Crux wrote:BE HAPPY THAT SHE IS A CHILD IN THIS VN. She does not accept "cute" as a compliment in the older VNs.
(Said VN is actually the entire reason I wanted to make VNs, 5 years ago. Thanks, Artie.)

ghost-senpai never had feelings to begin with
JUSTICE INTENSIFIES OH MY GO D. FRICK SHE'S HOT????? SHE'S HOT. I guess you could say I should be happy she's Artie Roschild and not Artie Rosadult. *BA DUM TSSS* There are also a ton of different cool character designs there too wow! Your art is really cool!! I'M REALLY CURIOUS ABOUT THE STORY OF THAT OLDER VN THOUGH and that upcoming big project fghjddhj. Thank you Artie for plunging Namio into VN developing hell.