Death and Other Practical Jokes [Paranormal] [NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Katy133
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Eight Sweets, The Heart of Tales, [redacted] Life, Must Love Jaws, A Tune at the End of the World, Three Guys That Paint, The Journey of Ignorance, Portal 2.5.
Projects: The Butler Detective
Tumblr: katy-133
Deviantart: Katy133
Soundcloud: Katy133
itch: katy133

Re: Death and Other Practical Jokes [Paranormal] [NaNo16]

#31 Post by Katy133 »

Oooo, this looks interesting! The title and plot summary intrigues me. I look forward to seeing how this VN develops. :)
ImageImage

My Website, which lists my visual novels.
Become a patron on my Patreon!

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#32 Post by Kumiho »

Ghost of Crux wrote:Shush that collab offer is as real as Artie in her family of ghosts xD

I'm trying to make the experience basically... mmm, how to say it? Basically if you know what you're supposed to do, you can deduce what to do. Of course, there might be some questions that only rise up when you inspect in depth. But I think it's possible to at least avoid spectral wrath without clicking around.

The child is Artemisia, actually! She's very feisty. And likes blue.
The dress is sooorta accurate because it was a real one, but suits... meeeeh. xD (the lapel and such are right; it's mostly the length that might be inaccurate.)
I'd have them better drawn (painted, more like) in a future VN with yours truly (aged up, a lot less cute) so I can't spoil tooo much :'D
Hahahah oh my gosh yesssss <3 and ooh, I see! That makes sense :) I hope I'm not too derpy when I finally play your VN once it's out LOL. Just watch me miss the obvious cues and be like "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING??? WHAT DO??" And yasss, that's super cool 8') And oh I see! Artemisia is awesome omg,, both her appearance and personality <3 And I seriously love your coloring for her ;u; + if it's just the length that's off, I really don't think anyone will notice at all LOL. And hahahahah awesome! 8'))

fmjaye
Regular
Projects: Blackout City (webcomic)
Tumblr: fakemagicjaye

#33 Post by fmjaye »

Ghost of Crux wrote: Thank you! That's really a compliment because I love Artie AHAHA my taste in characters is awful
The game is pretty lighthearted, though-- but perhaps in a weird way. Because like... Artemisia is still looking at things through rose-colored glasses, since she's always been close to ghosts, and she's immune to the fact that some are truly terrifying. So basically it'll be like... [insert sprite of some unholy abomination]
Artemisia: I like you!
Though some parts can be pretty terrifying hAHA

(Thank you!! I really like your art, by the way. So pretty * u *)
ehehe I am ALL ABOUT befriending unholy abominations~!
( Ah, thank you!! ;w; )

Artie's side sprite looks super cute!
(Sorry Artie, cool...?)
Image Image
Artist on [redacted] life NaNoRenO 2016

epistellar
Projects: High Elo Girls
Organization: Split Fat
Tumblr: epistellar.net
Soundcloud: epistellar
itch: epistellar

#34 Post by epistellar »

This sounds absolutely adorable. You had my interest at the first line, but I was pretty much sold by 'give cookies to ghosts'!
"Gather out of star-dust ... One handful of dream-dust. Not for sale." — Langston Hughes
High Elo Girls on Itch.io | High Elo Girls Dev Blog (on break) | Twitter: @epistellar

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#35 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Oooo, this looks interesting! The title and plot summary intrigues me. I look forward to seeing how this VN develops. :)
Thank you very much! I hope the end result interests you still! :'D
Hahahah oh my gosh yesssss <3 and ooh, I see! That makes sense :) I hope I'm not too derpy when I finally play your VN once it's out LOL. Just watch me miss the obvious cues and be like "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING??? WHAT DO??" And yasss, that's super cool 8') And oh I see! Artemisia is awesome omg,, both her appearance and personality <3 And I seriously love your coloring for her ;u; + if it's just the length that's off, I really don't think anyone will notice at all LOL. And hahahahah awesome! 8'))
YOU JUST TALK TO THEM!! If stuck save lots and choose anything AHAHAHA

Thank you! I wasn't sure about the style because tbh I'd rather go for something either simpler or more paint-y but I suppose I'd go with it ahaha
ehehe I am ALL ABOUT befriending unholy abominations~!
( Ah, thank you!! ;w; )

Artie's side sprite looks super cute!
(Sorry Artie, cool...?)
HURRAY!

Thank you! :'DD
This sounds absolutely adorable. You had my interest at the first line, but I was pretty much sold by 'give cookies to ghosts'!
HEHE THANKS! Cookies are great >)
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#36 Post by Zelan »

*creeps in quietly* I'm just gonna stalk this ok? ok cool.

(Artie may be a brat but she still looks precious. Besides, all kids are brats to some degree, right?)

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#37 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Zelan wrote:*creeps in quietly* I'm just gonna stalk this ok? ok cool.

(Artie may be a brat but she still looks precious. Besides, all kids are brats to some degree, right?)
HAHA HELLO
DO STALK IN PEACE (ignore the fact that I'm answering in caps lock)

(That is pretty much it-- not to mention that Artie is a brat because a lot of people are kinda assholish to her thanks to her ability. (Her classmates used her as scapegoat often, parents don't want to deal with the fact that she can see ghosts and throw her at the first psychiatric they can find))

EDIT:
Saguaro suggested something about GUIs and I got the idea to do things this style but who knows what the final decision will be so I'll just drop this here
Image Image

potouto
Veteran
Projects: (งツ)ว
Organization: MOONBBIT☆

#38 Post by potouto »

I wonder if you are going with your more pixelated style this time because I think it's pretty unique and cute like how you did it in of all there is. I wonder if this is meant to be suspense because it's adorable c: Even little Artie is very cute, I'm afraid it already comes across as a bit dorky for me aha good luck with the game! I'm hoping to see a finished product from you c';

yeah well | commission | website

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#39 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I THINK I AM. SAGUARO JUST SENT ME THE MOCKUP GUI FOR THIS AND I AM SO FLOORED BY IT IT'S BRILLIANT. AND SINCE THE GUI TOOK INSPIRATION FROM OLDER POINT AND CLICK GAMES, YES, I WILL BE USING THE ART STYLE FROM OF ALL THERE IS. There will be coloring style variation since it's not really the style I'd use here, but the brush will be back!

I'm sorry for all the caps lock. I'm just. So excited.

Ahaha good c8 I'm actually trying to make it suspenseful for the player, but not Artie herself-- in TV Tropese, I guess I'm trying to play up the player's Adult Fear because you're playing a kid who's too young to understand death, and has always associated positive emotions to ghosts in general. It's not made to be dark and suspenseful, but I'm hoping to induce that horror when you see a child you know accept candies from a stranger with a wide smile next to a car. :'d

Considering how amazing Saguaro is and how much I don't want to disappoint someone I really admire, I'd definitely try to release this on time HAHA. THANK YOU VERY MUCH, AND LIKEWISE!!! I'm looking forward to your vns too!
Image Image

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#40 Post by Zelan »

Ghost of Crux wrote:I'm hoping to induce that horror when you see a child you know accept candies from a stranger with a wide smile next to a car. :'d
As an aspiring teacher who also has a younger sister, just the thought of this terrifies me. I'm super excited to see how this turns out. owo
Last edited by Zelan on Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YossarianIII
Veteran
Completed: Guns & Lovers; SRRT!; Kill Your Refrigerator; Banality Man; Beretta Mondatta
Projects: Solidarity Forever
Organization: KONOL Games

#41 Post by YossarianIII »

Just wanted to agree with everyone else -- awesome title!

I like point-and-click, and I like weird stuff in old mansions, so this VN sounds win-win to me. As I mentioned in the thread for the other NaNo game Redacted, I'm always up for a lighter take on paranormal stuff. (Or a darker take -- pretty much any version of horror done well :) .)
The game is pretty lighthearted, though-- but perhaps in a weird way. Because like... Artemisia is still looking at things through rose-colored glasses, since she's always been close to ghosts, and she's immune to the fact that some are truly terrifying. So basically it'll be like... [insert sprite of some unholy abomination]
Artemisia: I like you!
Kind of reminds me of the Pyro in Team Fortress 2. He (she?) is surrounded by death and destruction, but sees it as a candy-colored wonderland.

Best of luck, Ghost of Crux!

EDIT: Plus UI by saguaro? That's awesome!

Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by Ghost of Crux »

YossarianIII wrote:Just wanted to agree with everyone else -- awesome title!

I like point-and-click, and I like weird stuff in old mansions, so this VN sounds win-win to me. As I mentioned in the thread for the other NaNo game Redacted, I'm always up for a lighter take on paranormal stuff. (Or a darker take -- pretty much any version of horror done well :) .)

Kind of reminds me of the Pyro in Team Fortress 2. He (she?) is surrounded by death and destruction, but sees it as a candy-colored wonderland.

Best of luck, Ghost of Crux!

EDIT: Plus UI by saguaro? That's awesome!
Haha, thanks!

Funny you should mention Pyro-- Artemisia grows up to have pyrophobia, actually :'d
And her situation is a bit different than theirs, since she actually sees more horrific things than others might assume. Like... she regularly sees some true abominations throughout the years and sometimes draws them as she sees them, which prompts future psychiatric visits when someone discovers said drawings.

I KNOW RIGHT. I am still kind of just... homg. It's a bit like... what is a miracle it is this
Zelan wrote:As an aspiring teacher who also has a younger sister, just the thought of this terrifies me. I'm super excited to see how this turns out. owo
She won't be taking any candies, but she does trust less-trustworthy ghosts too much xD
Hurray! :'D
Image Image

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Morning folks! Progress posts in my part is sparse so far so here are the two sprites out of the very few that are present in the game. (Few, I say, because despite the fact that there are 4 characters with actual faces, the amount of art-ing I have to do is far less compared to Of All There Is :'d)
AND why share sprites where your character looks good? Have Artie internally panicking!

Image Image
Image Image

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#44 Post by Weenily »

Oh wow those pixel sprites look really cool!! I love how she has her name on her notebook! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY SCARE ARTIE THOUGH. Getting grounded? Did her cookies burn??? I look forward to seeing your sprites together with Saguaro's GUI!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Ghost of Crux »

Weenily wrote:Oh wow those pixel sprites look really cool!! I love how she has her name on her notebook! WHAT COULD POSSIBLY SCARE ARTIE THOUGH. Getting grounded? Did her cookies burn??? I look forward to seeing your sprites together with Saguaro's GUI!
Thank you! It's probably my fav style because it dOESNT TAKE AS MUCH TIME AHAHAHA I mean otherwise I won't draw so many sprites
SHE GOTTA HAS HER NAME ON THINGS YANNO even though she's a friendless only child
SHE'S SCARED OF DISAPPOINTING CLAIRE AND ALTON and also fire
And psychiatrists

SO AM I AHAHA mostly because I still am fangirling over it...................
I'm going to try to get some mockup/actual screenshot finished this weekend!!
but for now I shall conk out
Image Image