Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome|Fairy Tale][NaNo16][COMPLETED!]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

Re: Lads in Distress [GxB][Otome | Fairy Tale | Comedy][NaNo

#31 Post by Windchimes »

@KiloTango:
Thank you for your comment! Glad to hear that this otome still has its appeal outside of the romance thing xD I'll let the artist know you liked the lineart <3 I'm sure she'll be really happy at the compliment!

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#32 Post by MimirollCookie »

This Post is getting famous.
Keep up the good work!

Windchimes
Veteran

#33 Post by Windchimes »

@MimirollCookie:
-blush- This post isn't really famous compared to the threads for other amazing NaNo projects, I think, but the feedback/encouraging comments have been amazing so far, so thank you so much to every one of you who commented! We've been so amazed by the reactions :"D
Thank you for your comment again <3 We will try our best and work hard! I hope you'll keep an eye on our thread for more updates and stuff!

Side note: Important updates will be posted on Tumblr this weekend! Afterwards, I will update all the info here, but if you want to know asap, you know where to go :D

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#34 Post by Kumiho »

Askdlfja;a I'm so excited/honored/happy/everything to be a part of this group 8'DD Thanks for all the comments/support so far <3
ETA: I think it's worth noting that Mer is based on the little mermaid from... well, the slightly darker versions of the tale ;)

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#35 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Lesleigh63, the background artist here...

This will be the ballroom. As it's symmetrical, I just have to complete half the page and then copy and flip it (Less work that way).

I'm working in greyscale for the shading which will then have a colour wash over the top which will let the shading show through.

Last edited by Lesleigh63 on Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#36 Post by Weenily »

HmmmMm, the darker version of the Little Mermaid! Sounds painful for Prince Mer B'). Also since Prince Mer comes from the water kingdom, I've been wondering if he and his people have legs or mermaid tails? Or like both???

That background looks amazing so far, wow! The linework feels very fancy already *v*.
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Windchimes
Veteran

#37 Post by Windchimes »

@Weenily:
Hehe... you have no idea what we've got planned for Mer ;) I'm really looking forward to everyone's reactions after the release. xD
As for the mermaid thing... we considered it briefly, but then in the end we decided that they'll just all be human instead of merpeople or anything. So just legs. Less complicated, and also less... creepy in a way? Mainly because it's hotter to us ;) xD
Glad you liked the BG! :D We're all really excited to see the BG finished too.

Anyways, I'll update first post with more screenshots/sketches/art this weekend, most likely, when more things are finished, so I can just do a big update in one go.

Thank you everyone for commenting/reading the post and for all the interest!

Weenily
Regular

#38 Post by Weenily »

GOSH y'all are making me so suspicious of the princes, Princess Charming is the only character I can trust. M-maybe.
And ahhh LOL I see!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Kowai
Regular
Tumblr: kowaikowia
Deviantart: kowai-usagi

#39 Post by Kowai »

@Lesleigh63
Now that is some awesome BG you're doing there! I can't wait to see this finished! *w*

Weenily
Regular

#40 Post by Weenily »

I saw a lot of updates on your tumblr so!! ;o;
The music sample was really nice! It felt very professionally made and definitely felt folky.

Congratulations on finishing more GUI screens! They really fit with Princess Charming's sprite.

Speaking of which, the linework for her sprite is stunning! It's so detailed and crisp. I'm in love with Princess Charming's dress design, I could definitely see it in a JRPG or anime! I totally want to be rescued by someone as cute as her. As for the colors, I still really love pink Princess Charming! The pink version is kind of lacking contrast compared to the other versions though? Like, there's too much pink. But then again it's not finished yet. The yellow one pops out the most, the blue one definitely feels gothic haha, and the red one feels the most regal.

LOL a Vampire!Lads in Distress might be an interesting Halloween spin-off.

Windchimes
Veteran

#41 Post by Windchimes »

@Weenily:
Sorry for the late reply to your comments!
Firstly, don't trust anyone, not even us ;) xD
Secondly, thank you for all the compliments! :D I'll pass on all the feedback to the team members. I'm sure they'll all be thrilled xD
We will be going for the pink version of Charming, because we want to go for the dramatic overly-pinksy otome-y main character who ends up not being like the typical otome MC. Kinda like reverting of expectations. I'm probably not explaining it right, it's way too early to think right now. LOL Anyways, I hope you will like the final sprite which will be released on Tumblr in a day or two!
LOL vampire Lads in Distress is my fault. I saw the gothic version of the sprite and I was like WHOAAA THAT IS SO GOTHIC Now I'm imagining vampire Charming in her castle, trying to decide which prince to-- -cough- xD I should stop there before I give away spoilers about the spinoff. We were originally going to just include spin-offs with the final version of the game, but a Halloween spinoff is a good idea too! Thanks :D We'll discuss it more after March, most likely.
Once again, thank you so much for following all our updates and even taking the time to tell us what you think ;; Makes us really happy <3

@Kowai:
Ikr? The BG is so pretty. We're very lucky to have Lesleigh on our team as our BG artist.
Thank you for commenting and keeping up with our updates btw! :D

Shadow Wolfwind
Regular
Projects: Comeuppance
Tumblr: chiizusando

#42 Post by Shadow Wolfwind »

I didn't comment on this yet and I should.

1. Any thoughts or comments about the story premise so far?
The concept is actually very popular. Literary agents get a ton of submissions of retellings of a fairy tales or a fairy tale with a twist.

2. Who is your favorite character at the moment?
I'm pretty interested in Prince White. I like how he is the most different from the original story he is from.

3. Which love interest do you think you will pursue first?
I don't know. Whoever has the more appealing sprite design.

4. Would you be interested in the future expansion (that will have 2 new routes, as well as a lot more scenes for the current 3 routes)?
Sure. It will be fun to see what other fairy tales are thrown in.

5. Any other comments or questions?
The sprite of the main character is very pretty. I like her pink color scheme most of all.

Weenily
Regular

#43 Post by Weenily »

@Windchimes:
noOO PLS GIVE ME MORE SPOILERS Oh man, I'd actually REALLY love being a vampire in an otome game?? I want that SO MUCH. Nevermind what I said about a Halloween spin-off, I'd rather be able to play it whenever the full version is released gfshfk. Also you're welcome!! <3

Windchimes
Veteran

#44 Post by Windchimes »

@Shadow Wolfwind:
Thank you for commenting! :D
I'm really happy to hear that you're interested in Prince White. He's the least favorite love interest so far according to comments. xD
Haha, most people seem to like the pink color scheme just like what the team decided on too! The full sprite should be finished in a day or two, so keep an eye out for it in the massive art update this weekend!

@Weenily:
Yess finally, someone else who shares my love for spoilers ;; Unfortunately, since we haven't really decided on details of the spin-off yet, I don't have many spoilers I can even give. Ask me again after March, and we'll see. xDD
Now I'm excited about the vampire spin-off too ;; -smack self- Need to focus on writing this for now. -lurk back into my dusty writing corner-

Side note: GUI update should be up on Tumblr soon. Also, if anyone hasn't noticed yet, our character artist Elzee posted on Tumblr the full lineart of the sprite for Princess Charming, as well as some possible color schemes. I'll update first post this weekend with art after Elzee finishes Charming's sprite and the full GUI is done, and after the artists both send me the assets so I can take screenshots and upload to first post. For now, please check our Tumblr for the updates if you're interested. Sorry for the inconvenience ;; Thank you <3

keelan

#45 Post by keelan »

Wah, wah. This looks great! Romcoms in fairy tales are a pleasure to read.

1. Any thoughts or comments about the story premise so far?

I'm stoked to see more fairy tale-esque stuff! I have a personal bias for that, so I'm not the best person to ask (unless you want to see me run my mouth off :wink:), but I can say the spin looks good. Reversed!gender and having to save the princes? That ought to be fun! The way you guys mixed up the tales is pretty refreshing. I'm sure I'll enjoy this when the game comes out.

2. Who is your favorite character at the moment?

Chaaaarming. I love me some good female protagonist.

As for bachelors... Probably Zel? In the sense that I'm kinda curious how his personality is right now (and what? shhh. what do you mean rapunzel is my favourite story out of these three?) I think I'll end up liking White the most though, 'cause I think his route sounds the most interesting.

3. Which love interest do you think you will pursue first?

I'll do it in the order they're listed: White > Mer > Zel. Either that, or the 'recommended way' to play the routes (is there one?). I don't really have a set preference for this stuff ^w^

4. Would you be interested in the future expansion (that will have 2 new routes, as well as a lot more scenes for the current 3 routes)?

Yesssss! I'm always game for more routes if you guys are up for it.

5. Any other comments or questions?

-Charming's design looks great! I'm with you on the pink colour scheme; it looks gorgeous. I like Yellow's hair better, but I'm down with pink if you are
-That logo's ingenious with all the interlocking letters and stuff. It's a bit messy though, especially with the 'i' and 't.' Maybe you could add another star there? Like with 's' and 't?'
-GUI looks nice overall!
-I THINK THE MUSIC IS SPECTACULAR (even though it was just a sample)
-The background! That WiP looks pretty intricate; I'm looking forward to the finished product
-All the routes sound like fun. Though I said White's seemed the most interesting, the other two also sound like they'll be a blast!

Keep up the great work and good luck with the game~