Grey Area [cancelled]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
ibukichan
Regular
Completed: Project E.A.R.T.H. [NaNo '15]
Projects: A Step Ahead, Deadhead, Jinsei no Mondai
itch: aikosakana

Grey Area [cancelled]

#1 Post by ibukichan »

Would you set the world on fire, just to watch it burn?

Characters

Ray | 17 | Agender | Protagonist
Personality: Kind, A Bit Weak-Willed, Indecisive, Friendly, Good At Making Friends
Backstory: Ray's parents were killed in a car crash. The government wanted to place them in an orphanage, but they ran away first. Now, they live on the streets, struggling to get by day-to-day. They are determined to make something of their life, in honor of the life their parents didn't have.

Renn | 34 | Male | Supporting Character #1
Personality: Charismatic, Determined, Manipulative, Natural Leader, Greedy
Backstory: It took him awhile, but Renn took control of the top crime syndicate in the city. He's taken Ray under his wing, and is helping them to survive. There's a catch, of course, but Ray doesn't know it yet. Renn doesn't do things for free

Marianne | 19 | Female | Supporting Character #2
Personality: Gentle, Anxious, Sweet, Ambitious, Timid
Backstory: Everyone always told her to give up on music, that it wasn't a real career. She's determined to prove them wrong, and is enrolled in the best music school in the country. She's Ray's only real friend, and she cares a lot about them. And has a bit of a crush on them.

The Story

Ray, after living on the streets for almost a year, is struggling with their morality. With all the stuff they've seen, they're having trouble separating what's right from what's wrong. Renn, of course, notices, and tries to seize the opportunity to recruit Ray for his gang. What he didn't count on is Marianne, pulling Ray in the other direction. Both of them have a lot of influence on Ray, but only one can win. Who will Ray choose? And what will happen to their morality?

Planned Features

*35k word script + bonus scenes
*4 endings
*1 obtainable character
*6 CGs
*Customize the protagonist's pronouns!
*Point and click elements
*Unlockable bonus ending

The Team

Myself, Aiko - writing, backgrounds, GUI, music, programming rip my sleep aha
Kingsama - sprites
Sayuui - CGs

Progress

Writing: 5.6% ~ 1/17 Chapters
Sprites: 33% ~ 1/3 Sprites
CGs: 16.5% ~ 1/6 CGs, 2/6 sketches
Backgrounds: ?%
GUI: ?% ~ logo+textbox+yes/no screen done
Music: 0% ~ 0/6? Tracks
Programming: 5%

Questions

1. What do you think of the characters? Anything that stands out about them?
2. Does the overall premise sound interesting?
3. Is there anything in particular that makes you want to play this game?
4. Is there anything in particular that dissuades you from wanting to play the game?
5. How likely is it that I'm going to die from trying to do too much? xD
Last edited by ibukichan on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:05 am, edited 26 times in total.

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

Re: Grey Area [Dark, Morality Struggle][NBxG][NaNo '16]

#2 Post by Windchimes »

I like them! I think the most interesting part is that they all clearly have their strengths and flaws, and the complexity in the characters will definitely be fun to read, I think. And I think what stood out the most is that the protagonist is agender, which I don't see very often.

Yes! :D It's different from most that I've seen, and I have a soft spot for stories about stuff like gangs and living on the streets. xD It's just really interesting to read about something that's an entirely different world to me.

The fact that the main theme is morality struggle. It's a really controversial and intriguing topic, so I'll be excited to see how it'll be portrayed.

4. Is there anything in particular that dissuades you from wanting to play the game?
Uhm probably the fact that there's only 1 obtainable character D: I like diversity in love interests xD

Good luck for your project! :D I have faith in you, I know you can finish it on time~ <3

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

Re: Grey Area [Dark, Morality Struggle] [NBxG] [NaNo '16]

#3 Post by Lesleigh63 »

What do you think of the characters? Anything that stands out about them?
I find Ren's character the most interesting because he may be a 'magnificent bastard'.

It can certainly work as it seems you have the protag, antag and love interest/friend trio plot going. If all the elements are played right the plot can be very strong.

Be interested to see what the art looks like.

Elyeon
Projects: Seven Hex Days [Nano 2016]

#4 Post by Elyeon »

Sounds like pretty solid cast and I think they're all interesting based on their personalities + their backstories!

Yes, it does!

Other than the fact that the protagonist is agender which is something you don't see very often, I'm keen on playing your game because of two things. One, so I can find out Renn's intention and what made Ray stood out and grab his attention. And two, how this visual novel explores human morality.

Not anything in particular, no!

Good luck with Nano you guys!

ibukichan
Regular
Completed: Project E.A.R.T.H. [NaNo '15]
Projects: A Step Ahead, Deadhead, Jinsei no Mondai
itch: aikosakana

#5 Post by ibukichan »

@Windchimes: thanks!! There's actually a reason why the second character isn't obtainable that will be explained in the story. He will be getting an intimate-ish almost-romantic scene? If that makes sense? aha~ I have faith in you too!!! I'm really looking forward to your game! <3

@Lesleigh63: 'Magnificent bastard' is definitely a phrase that could be used to describe Renn xD. I'll be adding concept art to the post soon, so you'll be able to get a taste of what the art will look like. :)

@Elyeon: I'm glad that it interests you! I love stories that have questionable morality, which inspired me to make my own. I just hope I can portray the morality struggle well. Thank you, and good luck to you too! :D