misSHAPEn love! [GxShapes?] [NaNo '16] - COMPLETED

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

misSHAPEn love! [GxShapes?] [NaNo '16] - COMPLETED

#1 Post by Alcor »

TUMBLR DEVELOPMENT BLOG

The game is now completed!:
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=38050

Please follow me if you're interested in watching misSHAPEn love! and Lads in Distress develop over this month!
Part I of misSHAPEn love! is a short, silly and light-hearted “otome” in which the main character can attempt to date geometric shapes (information about Part I can be found here and here).

Part II will be significantly different in artistic style, and the tone will be much more serious. Although there are technically no choices in Part II, it is not a kinetic novel.

For NaNoRenO, I am planning to complete Part I and start on the script and other assets for Part II.

Since Part I can be a standalone game, I am considering releasing a NaNo version including only Part I and then releasing the full version after Part II is completed. However, Part I is likely to be very very short. Still, would you like to see a small NaNo release of this game?

PART I

SYNOPSIS
Mia Hapen (renameable) is a talented art student, but she is forced to take a dull and difficult calculus class to meet graduation requirements. Inattentive and bored out of her mind, she does the only thing that can keep her from falling asleep–doodling in her graphing notebook.

Of course, when the professor is talking nonstop about derivatives of sines, cosines, and tangents, the only thing to doodle are geometric shapes. Soon, Mia finds herself daydreaming about dating the shapes she has doodled…

CHARACTERS

SCREENSHOTS

title screen

save/load screen

settings menu

textbox with sample CG

FEATURES

Three "romanceable" shapes
A sassy (and renameable) Protagonist
3 Endings
Relatively short and simple

Custom GUI
Probably Creative Commons Soundtrack
at least 4 CGs

Free-to-Play!

PART II

THE "TEAM"
This is my solo project, but I am also part of the development team for Lads in Distress as the GUI designer and a chibi/CG artist. Please visit our WiP thread if you have the time!

NOTES
Hello! This is the development team--err, just Alcor. Thank you for taking the time to look at this project. I would love to hear from you, so please leave me a comment if you have time and let me know what you think.

Here are some questions I'm curious to hear your answers to.

Part I:
- How do you feel about the premise of this story?
- Given the minimal information provided, which "romanceable" seems most interesting to you, and why?
- What are your feelings about otome games in general? What about blatantly ridiculous "otome" games?
- What are your feelings about terrible puns? (Would you like to see characters punished for their bad jok--okay, I'll see myself out.)

Part II:
- How do you feel about this game changing completely in art style?
- How do you feel about this game suddenly becoming serious?

Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6969399
Last edited by Alcor on Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:18 am, edited 9 times in total.

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

Re: misSHAPEn love! ["Otome"? | GxShapes] [Comedy] [NaNo '16

#2 Post by Kumiho »

OH MY GOSHHHHHHHH IT'S UP <3 <3 <3 I've been waiting for it okay 8'D The puns are so real, and the idea's super creative, and the GUI looks amazing, and the art is 2cute<3 and the premise is just super cool. ALSO MY FAVORITE IS TRIANGLE BECAUSE TSUNDERES MY FAVE. Occasionally. Is there a reason MC is a star?

I love otome games (they are my bread and butter and rice and pasta and everything), and the more ridiculous they are, the better! (As long as the ridiculousness was intentional) UMMM TERRIBLE PUNS? The puns aren't terrible at all, they're awesome x'DD

okay I should really change my avatar back or something so I feel motivated to comment properly again BUT TOO BUSY FANGIRLING

OK BUT I STILL DON'T UNDERSTAND??? HOW IS SHE GOING TO ROMANCE THEM????? HOW DOES MAKING OUT WORK??????
Last edited by Kumiho on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ghost of Crux
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: To Weave A Thread
Organization: UNICORSITY
Tumblr: unicorsity
itch: namio

#3 Post by Ghost of Crux »

I bURST OUTL AUGHING SO HARD AT THE QUOTES.....
I love you.

YES.

- Given the minimal information provided, which "romanceable" seems most interesting to you, and why?
Square. I love dem blue.

- What are your feelings about otome games in general? What about blatantly ridiculous "otome" games?
Otomes are okay for me, though I have been unable to play it lately, because I can't seem to relate to the ones I downloaded.
Blatantly ridiculous ones are great!
I love Hatoful Boyfriend, and not in an ironic way.

- What are your feelings about terrible puns? (Would you like to see characters punished for their bad jok--okay, I'll see myself out.)
YES! YES! YES!
I TRI TO MAKE THEM BY APPROACHING THE SUBJECT FROM EVERY ANGLE WINK
Image Image

misspells everything as unicorn. Call me Namio. They/them. | Honest Critique

Become a patron on my Patreon!

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#4 Post by Weenily »

I LOVE it! I can even relate hAHA.

Gosh this is a tough one... Probably Circle and Square!! I love the flirtatious types and that red color feels so passionate! Square is just hot. Triangle just isn't acute enough character for me, tsunderes aren't my thing.

I love them! I love being able to make choices that influence how the other characters see/treat you. Parody otome games are definitely one of my favorite kinds to play. My all-time favorite VN is Hatoful Boyfriend so I'm definitely looking forward to this! :>

I absolutely adore the puns. They really shape the total feel of the game.

Good luck going solo on this!!!
Last edited by Weenily on Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#5 Post by Windchimes »

LOL YOU KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS. I'm really excited to see that random weird conversation turn into a full fledged VN :D

Hmm. I think triangle, because tsundere <3 xD

I loveeee otomes. Almost all my projects are otomes xD And ridiculous "otome" games are hilarious, so I love those as well.

LOL YES I LOVE PUNS. Go for as many as possible :D

Super hyped for this. Good luck for your project! I know you have a ton of work to do in March ;; But I believe in youuu. :D

Shadow Wolfwind
Regular
Projects: Comeuppance
Tumblr: chiizusando

#6 Post by Shadow Wolfwind »

Oh man, this is what my high school math experience was like except I interacted less with the formulas and more of drawing digimon characters.

No clue how the romancing would work, but I'm intrigued. I don't normally play otome games unless they are ridiculous then I'm all over it.

Bonus points if you can re-teach me Geometry formulas because needless to say all my doodling did not earn me a passing grade.

runeraccoon
Veteran
itch: runeraccoon

#8 Post by runeraccoon »

LOVE COMES IN ALL SHAPES
i mean pft yeah sure, otome's fine. I want to turn Circle's flirtatious remarks around his(?) own head. But square and tsundere triangle sounds awesome as well ww. PUNS AND PUNISHMENTS ARE VERY WELCOMED.

Kowai
Regular
Tumblr: kowaikowia
Deviantart: kowai-usagi

#9 Post by Kowai »

Please finish this!

I think Circle has me twisted around his finger!
Or maybe Triangle because he has a cute angle.

In general, they're the kind of VN I'm attracted to. Ridiculous makes them especially enjoyable.

Oh come on! This is how I roll! I'd even like the teacher to catch her and ADD to the puns. xD

pyopyon
Veteran
Completed: https://chouette.itch.io/
Projects: Ocean Pearls, Catching the Fox [NaNo16], Singles
Organization: Jellyfish Parade
Tumblr: jelpiparade
Soundcloud: pyopyon
itch: chouette

#10 Post by pyopyon »

I am capital R ready for laughs, tbh. It reminds me of when I was in 8th grade geometry, and I decided for every day of that unit I would come up with an original shape joke. I have them written down somewhere, too. They were pretty terrible, but the memory is nice! ...ok you didn't ask for all that, but the point is, I was Born For Shape Comedy, so I am Ready!!

Blue square. I love blue, and I have been told that I am not hip and thus a square, therefore square x square otp?? Haha......... anyway yeah, blue square.

I love otomes a lot! And I love to laugh to blatantly ridiculous otomes are also great. I want to write one at least once.

You best be-leaf that I am ready for some pre-tree terrible puns. Bring them on. (but don't punish them for that which we should be lauding them for the heroes that they are. Thank u for gracing us w ur funnies, my shape friends.)

I look forward to this project! :D :D
Image ImageImage

WiP: Image

✿ Writer for Trade/Commission ✿

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#11 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Triangle wins.

Elyeon
Projects: Seven Hex Days [Nano 2016]

#12 Post by Elyeon »

It sounds like a fun, light-hearted visual novel so I'm looking forward for its completion!

Triangle because I'm a little biased to tsundere characters qvq

Love them! I enjoy playing the ones that are intentionally ridiculous as much as I enjoy the more serious or fluff type of otome games.

I say turn it up to the MAX!

Good luck, Alcor! The art style looks fantastic by the way! Can't wait to see the rest ^^

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

#13 Post by Amy_oai »

How do you feel about the premise of this story?
Pffft this looks amazing, you had me laughing once I saw the romanceables.

Given the minimal information provided, which "romanceable" seems most interesting to you, and why?
The red circle, all the way

What are your feelings about otome games in general? What about blatantly ridiculous "otome" games?
They're fun! And the ridiclous ones are just The.Best.

What are your feelings about terrible puns? (Would you like to see characters punished for their bad jok--okay, I'll see myself out.)
YEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS PUNSSS
Image Image Image Image

Sayumi101
Veteran
Completed: Closing Spaces, Pastel Rain, Straight Up: Sister-zoned!, Run 'N Gun
Projects: Hunta-H ~Romancing Idols~
Deviantart: Sayumi101
itch: sayumi101

#14 Post by Sayumi101 »

Romancing shapes!!??!? REALLY? PRIMARY COLORED SHAPES!! Oooooh!!!
Overreaction aside, gonna try to answer much of your questions through my fangirling. >.<
----------------------
An otome game with a sassy female lead, questionable love interests and with an abundance of puns? As much as I hate geometry, I'd totally play this.
The square. It's blue...It seems serious...And I go for the serious types... ALWAYS... ._.(I can feel my sanity slipping away already)
Otome games are my life! (No matter the seriousness/craziness) I tend to play almost anything I get my hands on and the more light-hearted ones are always my favourite.
I like puns! The more misplaced they are in serious circumstances the better!! -is shot-
-------------------
Anywho, really love what you've published so far. The quotes/catchphrases are so perfect on some level, lol.
And who would'a thought that a tsundere would find their way into such a story?! Yaaay yaaaay. X'D
Good luck on the game!
ImageImageImage

Elze
Veteran
Tumblr: Poepii

#15 Post by Elze »

LOLLL I'm crying. Send HELP.
The level of puns in this one is through the roof, seriously. And I see a lot of the passerbys are adding to it. My stomach *cries*

LOVING IT does not even begin to describe my feels. So much love. SO much pun win <3

SQUARE. Because he(she? it?) sounds the funniest to teast LOL.

I LIVE AND BREATHE OTOMES. Diehard Hatoful Boyfriend fan here so MY HEART IS READY.

LOLLL IDK THIS IS A LOVE-HATE RELATIONSHIP. JKJK I LOVE IT.