misSHAPEn love! [GxShapes?] [NaNo '16] - COMPLETED

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Geistbas
Regular
Projects: Flow of Phantasmagory
Deviantart: Geistbas

Re: misSHAPEn love! ["Otome"? | GxShapes] [Comedy] [NaNo '16

#16 Post by Geistbas »

Holy Fenrir....

Still a better love story than Sword Art Online

- How do you feel about the premise of this story?

This is perhaps the greatest parody humor I've seen apart from EarthBound. (personally)

So I'd say... You cannot grasp the true form of the circle's flirt? XD

But seriously:
If I think that I had to fight an enemy called "Abstract Art" in EarthBound, I think it kind of makes sense why I remembered it.
Well why not! When I scrolled the post, I didn't notice at the first exact second that the shapes were the "romanceables", and actually realized it on the second second. Which amplified the hilarity, of course, since I was like "Oh?" when I saw those simply colored shapes in the first second, and then I simply had to tell someone on Skype how hilarious it felt, especially quoting the part "a tsundere yellow triangle."

As a whole, the premise is something I wouldn't expect in its exact from you, yet I am not surprised in a way, and it shows you have a good taste, the way I see it.

- Given the minimal information provided, which "romanceable" seems most interesting to you, and why?

I'll be honest and say that you tend to design romanceables which generally cause a lot of indecisiveness in my mind, same thing happened with the other game.

This is no exception, but let me say it like this:

I generally don't like circles because they can't tesselate.
While I like squares, the simple personality you showed seemed that the blue square is rather mellow in a weird way, which caused some "distortion" for me.
Yellow Tsundere Triforce Triangle, OK, that's perhaps going to be my catchphrase in real life now, when I want to say that something is absurd XD...

I'm not really a fan of yellow, though, and while I think triangles are awesome, I am still indecisive.

So in the end I don't know at all.

But it's a good bet that Yellow Tsundere Triangle made me laugh even more than the average EarthBound gag. I am actually combining colors with shapes as well in my project, though I use a little different method of colors.

- What are your feelings about otome games in general? What about blatantly ridiculous "otome" games?

Since you asked for "feelings" about it, I will answer generously on this one:

If making blatantly ridiculous otome games makes you happy, then I wish you that happiness, since it's something that I actually admire, but I am not sure if I would do that myself.

Answering this in reversed order, I never played an otome game, but it's clear that your otome games are going to be the first otome games I'll play, while I could easily browse for some free otome games to try the genre sooner, I'm kind of a person who finds things indirectly. Generally coincidences and interesting combinations of events in my life lead me to some things in my own ways. That's perhaps with a lot of things I am interested in, though not limited to interests alone.

I'd like to say that I generally can't imagine the actual feeling of being a female, though it's kind of interesting when I think about it that otome games might pretty certainly have some value for me as well. Clearly, writing from such a viewpoint might need quite some attention, as I believe it got to me that there are even tutorials how to properly write an otome game. While I wouldn't truly need those tutorials, I'm not really sure if I would make some things right.

It makes me think, and that means it's awesome. Maybe just like Korean pop makes me think, even though I don't listen to it often/nearly at all.

There is always something fun about trying new things and new genres altogether. I want to note that I am a person who wants to write several fiction novels, but can you guess what I read? I mostly read books about real life topics, rather than fiction. I don't understand this approach completely, but it seems that I seem to read only books about how to manage life better, how to manage stress, how to be a better person, and then there are books about sciences such as feng shui. I actually didn't read a fictional novel other than Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne, and I read that in 2012-2013 I think, and I can't remember reading anything else around that time.

While that might not really relate to otome games, I am trying to understand myself a little more, and my thought patterns seem to be sometimes difficult to figure out for myself, as we are not always aware why we do some things. Because of that, I'd actually like to say that otome games are something mysterious for me, and I'd gladly play one sooner, but something is stopping me. Moving back to Korean pop music, I noticed the style uses a melodic "fiber" that seems to make me puzzled, it makes me think of the genre in a confused way, and I am perhaps confused about otome games as well, even though I didn't play one yet.

Really, it might be a bad idea to ask a person who hasn't played a single otome game about otome games, but I thought I would share my feelings anyway.

- What are your feelings about terrible puns?

As long as puns aren't obscene, they are perfect for me, and I can accept them positively. Now, terrible puns? Well, there are some puns even in my project, but I am not really able to distinguish if they are terrible or not. The way you call the example puns terrible, I think they are rather essentially deserving a chuckle, and I think they are worth having. I am not sure about other people, but judging by people's reactions, I'm not mistaken I guess.

-------------
I can imagine the romance though, but words don't come to my mind exactly, rather, I am imagining....skits. For some odd reason your game reminded me of a Japanese series of sokoban-like puzzle games called Pazoo (not 100% sure about name), while I couldn't read the Japanese because of non-eastern Windows OS/correct language locale settings not supporting unicode, there were some illustrations, and to me it seemed like the protagonists typically found themselves in some weird zoo worlds. Then again, I don't know the story of those games at all, but for some reason I got reminded of them. Somewhat funny.

-Geistbas

KairuKyun
Veteran
Completed: No One But You, Catch Canvas, Sickness, Written in the Sky, Wander no more, Warped Reality
Projects: Warped Reality
Organization: Unwonted Studios
IRC Nick: Kairu_kyun
Tumblr: karamuchan

#17 Post by KairuKyun »

God this is great, im excited for this.. I always knew the triangle was a tsundere!!!!!
Kyle Tyner
Creator of Unwonted Studios
ktyner@unwontedstudios.co
Visit Our Website
Projects: No One But You, Sickness, Written in the Sky, Wander no more, Catch Canvas, Warped Reality

yoshibb
Veteran

#18 Post by yoshibb »

Funny and cute. I like that your playing with the tropes of otome games in a creative way.

- Given the minimal information provided, which "romanceable" seems most interesting to you, and why?
Triangle, because I love tsunderes. Although, I really want to see what you do with each of them.

- What are your feelings about otome games in general? What about blatantly ridiculous "otome" games?
Otome games are my favorite! I love making them myself. And I enjoy creativity, so be as ridiculous as you want!

- What are your feelings about terrible puns? (Would you like to see characters punished for their bad jok--okay, I'll see myself out.)
Puns are awesome. I expect a lot of them from a game like this, too lol.

Good luck!

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#19 Post by Alcor »

Thank you for all the punderful comments! Your interest and support for this game-in-development is filling me with determination, and I will work my hardest to make this game enjoyable! though I sure hope no one throws their laptop out the window

I will try my best to reply to your comments and questions below.
Kumiho wrote: ...
THANKS KUMIBRO <3

To answer your question, MC is a star because MC is the star of the show--err, game! But I did debate between star and heart for a while (and at one point considered allowing the reader to choose between the two at the beginning of the game). In the end, it’s mostly because I’m a sucker for star-themed things (coughAlcorcough).

ALSO, OUT OF ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU COULD’VE ASKED, WHY WOULD YOU ASK HOW MAKING OUT WORKS?? I DON’T EVEN KNOW??? I HOPE YOU’RE NOT EXPECTING KISS CGS OR SOMETHING?????
Ghost of Crux wrote:...
GLAD YOU ENJOYED MY TERRIBLE PUNS AHAHA

Thank you for your comment! I haven’t played Hatoful, actually, and didn’t know about it at all until a couple weeks ago, but it definitely sounds like something I could enjoy!

and OH MY GOD THAT’S SO BAD IT’S GOOD
Weenily wrote:...
Haha, thank you so much! So many punny comments, what have I even gotten myself into @_@ I haven’t played Hatoful, but it sounds really interesting and I’ll see if I can get it sometime.

also I saw your picture on Lads in Distress and I absolutely LOVE IT XD
Thanks for supporting our team, too!
Windchimes wrote:...
HAHAHA HI THANKS FOR HAVING THAT INSPIRATIONAL CONVERSATION WITH ME WHILE I WAS PROBABLY HALF ASLEEP
ALSO THANKS FOR BELIEVING IN ME, MOM
Shadow Wolfwind wrote:...
Haha, thanks for your interest! I’ll see if I can work some geometry into there without being overly ridic--uhh, without getting my math wrong. oh my god I haven’t done math things for almost 3 years now
Artemiy wrote:...
HAHA THAT’S AMAZING THANKS FOR LINKING IT
fuicchi wrote:...
LOVE COMES IN ALL SHAPES INDEED

Thank you so much for your support, and I’ll try to tread the line between punny and punishing carefully :’D
Kowai wrote:...
oh my god I somehow got myself into a pun--err, ton--of puns but I LOVE IT <3

Thanks for your interest!
pyopyon wrote:...
Oh gosh, I’d love to see all your shape puns! I make a lot of bad puns, but most of them are honestly really bad puns, haha T^T

WAIT, SQUARE TIMES SQUARE IS SQUARE SQUARED--

-- *discreetly exits through a window*
Lesleigh63 wrote:...
+1 for Triangle! I’ll count up the totals at the end :D
Elyeon wrote:...
Tsundere is my favorite dere, too, haha~

Thank you so much for the comment, and I hope the project meets (and exceeds!) your expectations!
Amy_oai wrote:...
PUNSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Thank you for your feedback!
Sayumi101 wrote:...
Haha, thanks for your comment! You will definitely see misplaced (and probably misused) puns in the game~

And a fellow tsundere-lover! *highfives*
Elze wrote:...
LOL ELZEE SORRY NOT SORRY <3

IF THIS THREAD IS ALREADY KILLING YOUR STOMACH JUST WAIT TILL THE ACTUAL GAME--I HOPE YOU DON’T EAT A TON OF FOOD BEFORE YOU TRY IT LOL
Geistbas wrote:...
Awww, Geist, thanks so much for your comment! I’m really honored that you left me such an insightful comment despite not playing otome games (although I guess it’s questionable whether this is truly an otome XD).

Earthbound seriously sounds amazing, and I do plan to try it someday :D

Also--”I generally don’t like circles because they can’t tesselate” is my favorite quote of the day. Thanks for making me laugh!
KairuKyun wrote:...
RIGHT?? IF ANY SHAPE IS TSUNDERE IT HAS TO BE THE TRIANGLE
yoshibb wrote:...
Thank you so much for your input! Good luck with your project as well <3
TOTAL COUNT wrote: I may have miscounted at some point, but below is the number of people whose favorite romanceable is:

CIRCLE: 3
SQUARE: 6
TRIANGLE: 6

I expected Triangle to be the most popular, but I’m definitely surprised that Square is tied with him. (Poor Circle--she’s not very popular, even though she’s the most sociable of them all~ and yes it’s a female circle??))

Kumiho
Regular
Completed: Lads in Distress NaNo
Projects: The Thousandth Day

#20 Post by Kumiho »

ALCOR_etc wrote:THANKS KUMIBRO <3

To answer your question, MC is a star because MC is the star of the show--err, game! But I did debate between star and heart for a while (and at one point considered allowing the reader to choose between the two at the beginning of the game). In the end, it’s mostly because I’m a sucker for star-themed things (coughAlcorcough).

ALSO, OUT OF ALL THE QUESTIONS YOU COULD’VE ASKED, WHY WOULD YOU ASK HOW MAKING OUT WORKS?? I DON’T EVEN KNOW??? I HOPE YOU’RE NOT EXPECTING KISS CGS OR SOMETHING?????
IT'S KAY ALCOBRO. CIRCLE MY FAVE NOW THAT CIRCLE IS FEMALE. AND UMMMM WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT, OF COURSE I'M EXPECTING KISS CGS??? I MEAN JUST ATTACH LIPS (OR LIKE THREES) TO THEM OR SOMETHING AND YOU'RE GOOD. 3Ɛ <-- LIKE SO.

And hahah that makes sense! x') I haven't played devil survivor yet omfg Q_Q been waiting till I actually buy a 3DS because I want to play the overclocked vers, but lak;jsdf I'M SO BROKE Q_Q but anyway l;ajs your puns just kill me I swear. In a good way. Um. SUPER EXCITED FOR THE VN <3

++ I'm crying for your commenting efforts. ;u; AT LEAST THE FACT THAT YOU HAD TO REPLY TO 40 PEOPLE AT ONCE JUST STANDS TO SHOW HOW AWESOME UR VN IDEA IS <333

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#21 Post by Weenily »

ALCOR_etc wrote:
Weenily wrote:...
Haha, thank you so much! So many punny comments, what have I even gotten myself into @_@ I haven’t played Hatoful, but it sounds really interesting and I’ll see if I can get it sometime.

also I saw your picture on Lads in Distress and I absolutely LOVE IT XD
Thanks for supporting our team, too!
I'm glad you liked that pic!!! I hope you like this one too-//HIT/ goodness what kind of new kink is this i blame you entirely
I'm so excited to play these awesome games when NaNo16 is over so thank you for working on them! <3
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Alcor
Veteran

#22 Post by Alcor »

Weenily wrote:I'm glad you liked that pic!!! I hope you like this one too-//HIT/ goodness what kind of new kink is this i blame you entirely
I'm so excited to play these awesome games when NaNo16 is over so thank you for working on them! <3
OH MY GOSH THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL PICTURE

I MEAN, UHHH, I HAVE NO IDEA IF I SHOULD CONDONE MC MAKING OUT WITH SHAPES??? BUT IT'S A BEAUTIFUL PICTURE

But seriously, thank you soooo much for your support! I really hope we meet (and exceed~) your expectations (in both projects!) :'D

YzzaPizzaIsCheezy
Regular
Completed: Best Friends
Projects: Sweet and Spices (NaNo'16)
Organization: Pastelle Studios, Classical Projects

#23 Post by YzzaPizzaIsCheezy »

It's looking cute and Funny!!!!
Good luck!!

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#24 Post by Weenily »

ALCOR_etc wrote:OH MY GOSH THAT'S A BEAUTIFUL PICTURE

I MEAN, UHHH, I HAVE NO IDEA IF I SHOULD CONDONE MC MAKING OUT WITH SHAPES??? BUT IT'S A BEAUTIFUL PICTURE

But seriously, thank you soooo much for your support! I really hope we meet (and exceed~) your expectations (in both projects!) :'D
THERE ARE NO LAWS AGAINST HUMAN/SHAPE ROMANCE THAT I KNOW OF MY GUY THIS IS COMPLETELY LEGAL
You're welcome! I'm sure you guys can! :> Either way no pressure haha the most important thing about NaNo is having an opportunity to get started on awesome projects like this!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

maedinn
Projects: [WIP] Keeper of the Jewels
Organization: Sakura Tower Studio
Tumblr: maedinn
itch: sakuratower

#25 Post by maedinn »

OMG YES PLS. I can't wait for this to be finished haha.

I want this. I really do. Also, flat world, yeah! (rock on emoji)

The square. They be hip, even if they're square.

I love them. I love them even more when they're crackilific.

- What are your feelings about terrible puns? (Would you like to see characters punished for their bad jok--okay, I'll see myself out.)
PUNS ARE AWESOME.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#26 Post by KittyKatStar »

It all adds up into awesomeness.
I really want the tsundere triangle...
I love games where you can date dragons, pigeons, bears, and cake. So this is up my alley.
PUNDERFUL :D

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#27 Post by MimirollCookie »

Shapes~~~
Good luck!

Alcor
Veteran

#28 Post by Alcor »

Short update with what I've been working on today!

I've also set up my tumblr at http://alcor-etc.tumblr.com/ :)

-----
maedinn wrote:...
Eeee, thank you so much! I'm having a lot of fun with this project, and I'm happy to know that you're looking forward to its completion~
KittyKatStar wrote:...
Thank you so much for your comment! Dating dragons/pigeons/cake sounds amazing, haha. I definitely plan to play some of the ridiculous otome games out there, even though I haven't gotten a chance to do so yet.
MimirollCookie wrote:...
Thanks~

nickynoton
Regular
Completed: Equilibrium
Projects: Equilibrium [nano16], Phantasm [nano17]
Tumblr: nickynoton
itch: nickynoton

#29 Post by nickynoton »

I love it! It's a great idea.
Tsundere Triangle!
I love otomes games! They're a great fun even especially when they're very silly.
Puns are the best! In any shape or form (ahahaha...) It's the best contagion.

Didules
Veteran
Completed: Sophie, Midnight's Café, The Phantom of the Hospital
Projects: SchizoValentine
Organization: Hidden Masquerade
Tumblr: hidden-masquerade

#30 Post by Didules »

There are so many interesting games this year that I almost missed this one!! 8'D
The wip-CG you showed looks great, congrates for being so fast!

Sounds really really fun, I love parodies, so this strikes right to the heart, it has a LOT of potential!! It can really use the tropes and the clichés of otome games in a funny way!

I'd totally go for the Square, though the Circle is more attractive ;)
The "serious" type can be very interesting because it can hide many other sides to h/is/er personality! ;)

I'm not that fond of otome games (because often they feel like they're pushing romance where it could only be friendship), besides I hate the binary good end/bad end (which happen often in romance game). The only way to keep me playing is giving me a funny otome game, or a parody, or a very cute/fluffy one! :)

Haha, actually since I'm not english I always get them after a short while ='D
Otherwise I quite like them, because they add a light touch to every game :P

Good luck for your NaNoRenO, I'll definitely be stalking this thread ;)
Last edited by Didules on Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.