Fireworks [Otome, Slice-of-Life, Philippine Setting][NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
silversporksama
Regular
Completed: Senpai WataMite, Last Couple Minutes
Organization: Tokkimeki
Tumblr: Tokkimeki
Deviantart: Tokkimeki
itch: tokkimeki

Fireworks [Otome, Slice-of-Life, Philippine Setting][NaNo16]

#1 Post by silversporksama »

Fireworks
Naniniwala ka ba sa "sparks"?
Sparks. Quick flickers of bright lights with a sound akin to its' name. Local media has painted over the term with the bright reds of romance.
It's that phenomenon we craved as eager adolescents in a private all-girls school. It's the thing we'd feel from beyond the screen in our evening teleseryes.
Nakakakilig. Nakakagigil. But is that really all there is to those sparks?
After many long years of being away from home due to her parents' work, a city-hardened Bituin Salvador returns to her simple provincial hometown hoping to get her share of fresh air before entering university, and maybe take a step back and reminisce with her three childhood friends as well. The problem is, those three seem nothing like the friends she used to know!

Can seven years away from home really change a person that much, or are these friends still holding on to things from the past as well?
Bituin is left to ponder over this matter and patch things up with these old friends for a week. After that, there ought to be nothing left to worry over during the town fiesta...
Except for an old promise she made with one of them. Whatever that promise was and who she made it with, she doesn't quite recall.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHARACTERS:
Bituin Salvador: A fairly quiet girl who seems like a pushover, but stands firm in her beliefs. Used to be incredibly hardheaded and enjoyed roughhousing as a child. Smells like cheap rubber slippers, lotion, and coffee-flavored candy. Spaces out a bit too much.
Makisig Reyes: The son of a wealthy businessman with relatives in the local government. Bituin remembers that "Mak-mak" used to be a spoiled brat and bully around town. Smells like antibacterial soap, typewriter ink, and old clothes. Doesn't like his nickname.
Emanuel Lopez: Easily stressed, moreso after his father passed away when he was young. Bituin remembers that "Emanuel" used to be a shy and squishy crybaby. Smells like barbecue, rusty metal, and baby powder. Even younger kids treat him like a baby.
Mikaela Fernando: Spoiled but sincere due to parents working overseas. Bituin remembers that "Mikel" used to be girly and demure. Smells like baby cologne, peppermint tea, and clothes fresh from a balikbayan box. Has the biggest smile.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PROGRESS:
Plot: 90%
Writing: 25%
Coding: 10%
Sprites: 10%
CGs: 15%
Music: 0%

DEV TEAM:
silversporksama (Story, Coding, CGs)
Kyuu (Sprites)
Doodled (Music)
Last edited by silversporksama on Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

Re: Fireworks [Otome, Slice-of-Life, Philippine Setting][NaN

#2 Post by Weenily »

PHILIPPINE SETTING. THIS IS DEFINITELY THE FIRST NANO16 GAME I'M PLAYING. KILIG NA KILIG NA AKO.

Bituin Salvador I'm fuckcingng crying this is perfect teleserye material. The story sounds so cute and I love that she can't remember who she made a promise with.
I'M KIND OF SUSPICIOUS BECAUSE OF YOUR OTHER GAME THOUGH
I'm really looking forward to seeing a game with Filipino fiestas. ;o; Good luck!! and I hope you can get some rest gfhja
Last edited by Weenily on Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#3 Post by MimirollCookie »

OI! SA PILIPINAS GAGANAPIN!!! XD
Good luck na lang!!
------------------------------------
GOOD LUCK!

Lesleigh63
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: House of Dolls; Lads in Distress - Nano'16; Delusion Gallery Nano'18
Projects: BL VN
Deviantart: Lesleigh63

#4 Post by Lesleigh63 »

Hope the VN is progressing nicely.

JhazyJazz
Regular
Completed: Best Friends

#5 Post by JhazyJazz »

Good luck with NaNo.
Hope you're progressing since you're not posting the updates. :(
I support:
Completed Games:

Pick_One
Regular

#6 Post by Pick_One »

I don't know anything about the Philippines so that's what I'm really interested about. A town fiesta sounds fun. Also the plot sounds fun, particularly with how and why her friends change and the mysterious promise. Good luck with the project! :)

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by MimirollCookie »

Pick_One wrote:I don't know anything about the Philippines so that's what I'm really interested about. A town fiesta sounds fun. Also the plot sounds fun, particularly with how and why her friends change and the mysterious promise. Good luck with the project! :)
Oh you know, Philippines is interesting! :D
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

silversporksama
Regular

#8 Post by silversporksama »

Sorry about the lack of response, the past week has been pretty overwhelming, so most of the work I managed to get done was either on paper or in regards to contacting the other members of the team! ;; (Thankfully in those tiring adventures, I managed to snap a few photos for backgrounds! haha!)

The main post has been updated with little spoiler-free snippets about the characters, subject to revision. I've also put up our current team (also subject to revision, since I'm still contacting a couple other people I didn't get to follow up with over the past week).

Again, do expect more edits and additional info here and there sometime!! Your comments give me strength to make it through NaNo progress and Preliminary exams!! o|-<

silversporksama
Regular

#9 Post by silversporksama »

Weenily wrote:PHILIPPINE SETTING. THIS IS DEFINITELY THE FIRST NANO16 GAME I'M PLAYING. KILIG NA KILIG NA AKO.

Bituin Salvador I'm fuckcingng crying this is perfect teleserye material. The story sounds so cute and I love that she can't remember who she made a promise with.
I'M KIND OF SUSPICIOUS BECAUSE OF YOUR OTHER GAME THOUGH
I'm really looking forward to seeing a game with Filipino fiestas. ;o; Good luck!! and I hope you can get some rest gfhja
We'll do our best to push out the game on time, then! *absorbs your kilig to give me strength to type* o|-<

While this isn't entirely teleserye material i do intend to push for a future project thats right along that alley do expect,, references to teleseryes here and there. Most of them coming from Bituin herself. (also I hope y'all can tolerate an odd mix of kanto-style speaking peppered with the occasional conyo term haha)
im glad i have your suspicion. but thankfully (or is that unfortunately?) this game will be pretty straightforward hahaha o|-<
thank you so muchiessssssss
MimirollCookie wrote:OI! SA PILIPINAS GAGANAPIN!!! XD
Good luck na lang!!
------------------------------------
GOOD LUCK!
tenkyu po i swear im going to make this work somehow and not shame my team and my country
ehehe
Lesleigh63 wrote:Hope the VN is progressing nicely.
JhazyJazz wrote:Good luck with NaNo.
Hope you're progressing since you're not posting the updates. :(
Progress is at a snail's pace when it comes to actual computer work on my end but Kyuu seems to have things going well in the art department and my notebook is full of dialogue ready to be typed up and CGs to be rendered, so hopefully that counts as good progress!
MimirollCookie wrote:
Pick_One wrote:I don't know anything about the Philippines so that's what I'm really interested about. A town fiesta sounds fun. Also the plot sounds fun, particularly with how and why her friends change and the mysterious promise. Good luck with the project! :)
Oh you know, Philippines is interesting! :D
Oooh yes I do have to agree with Mimi, all bias aside! Hopefully when this project is ready It'll give you (and every other curious soul out there) at least a peek at how life is like here! At least, when you're the same situation as Bituin. Though I'm a little worried local culture itself won't shine through entirely, but uh... youth culture definitely will. (I hope that's the right term)

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#10 Post by Weenily »

NICE. I'll be waiting for that future project. GO GO CGE LANG. LOL I can defs handle that kind.
Pl s. I'm still v excited to play it!
New character descriptionsss! I really love those names because they're so common and familiar to me hah a. I love how Bituin specifically remembers Emanuel being squishy, he's my favorite already
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by MimirollCookie »

Inspired by yung storya sa tv show na ningning? (Mak-mak though. :lol:)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Translation) Is this story inspired by the tv show Ningning? (Mak-mak though. :lol:)
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

JhazyJazz
Regular

#12 Post by JhazyJazz »

BTW, Pilipino rin ako! XD
Looking forward to this project!
I support:
Completed Games:

YzzaPizzaIsCheezy
Regular
Projects: Sweet and Spices (NaNo'16)
Organization: Pastelle Studios, Classical Projects

#13 Post by YzzaPizzaIsCheezy »

Oy! Interesting!
Good luck my fellow filipino!
(Pilipino rin ako? Edi wow sakin! HAHAHA :lol:)

keelan

#14 Post by keelan »

*gasps* You're making a NaNo too??? Why didn't I know until now D:

But yay! Filipino settings! I can only name one other visual novel that's set in the Philippines off the top of my head... It's always nice to see more~

This is looking good so far! The character names remind me of all the soap operas I used to laugh at haha. My fave character's Mikaela, 'cause wow he sounds interesting. i'm crossing my fingers that makisig lives up to his name though lol. Sounds like this'll be a ride!

and wooo, i'm always game for forgotten childhood promises. it's cliche af but hot daaang sign me UP

ALSO, I'm super interested in the tiny blurb at the beginning. Is that going to be part of the game?

Good luck and have fun! :D

silversporksama
Regular

#15 Post by silversporksama »

Weenily wrote:NICE. I'll be waiting for that future project. GO GO CGE LANG. LOL I can defs handle that kind.
Pl s. I'm still v excited to play it!
New character descriptionsss! I really love those names because they're so common and familiar to me hah a. I love how Bituin specifically remembers Emanuel being squishy, he's my favorite already
Glad to know the squishy baby has some love already!!♡♡♡ Hope you'll continue to love him even when you meet him all grown up!
MimirollCookie wrote:Inspired by yung storya sa tv show na ningning? (Mak-mak though. :lol:)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Translation) Is this story inspired by the tv show Ningning? (Mak-mak though. :lol:)
Any similarity is just a coincidence! ehehe the project plot is actually pretty old (four or five years? I'm not really sure, but it's a bit older than Senpai) and didn't actually have any Filipino elements in it whatsoever back then :0 plussss I never actually managed to watch ningning huuhuuhuu so as much as I'd like to toss in references to it- o|-<
JhazyJazz wrote:BTW, Pilipino rin ako! XD
Looking forward to this project!
YzzaPizzaIsCheezy wrote:Oy! Interesting!
Good luck my fellow filipino!
(Pilipino rin ako? Edi wow sakin! HAHAHA :lol:)
At this point I'm convinced y'all over there at Pastelle Studios are Filipino

Thank you errybody!!! ;v;
keelan wrote:*gasps* You're making a NaNo too??? Why didn't I know until now D:

But yay! Filipino settings! I can only name one other visual novel that's set in the Philippines off the top of my head... It's always nice to see more~

This is looking good so far! The character names remind me of all the soap operas I used to laugh at haha. My fave character's Mikaela, 'cause wow he sounds interesting. i'm crossing my fingers that makisig lives up to his name though lol. Sounds like this'll be a ride!

and wooo, i'm always game for forgotten childhood promises. it's cliche af but hot daaang sign me UP

ALSO, I'm super interested in the tiny blurb at the beginning. Is that going to be part of the game?

Good luck and have fun! :D
KEELAN ITS YOU hahaha I hope this was a pleasant surprise for ya ;-D I'm pretty curious what that other VN is omg but that's fairly off-topic

I like to think Mikel is the biggest surprise of them all honestly o|-< Please look forward to the wild ride ahahaha.

glad to hear im not alone in loving the cliche. I'll do my best to spice things up a bit. I'll try even harder to not spice things too much.

thank you always and forever;;; /absorbs your thanks