Fireworks [Otome, Slice-of-Life, Philippine Setting][NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

Re: Fireworks [Otome, Slice-of-Life, Philippine Setting][NaN

#16 Post by MimirollCookie »

at this point I'm convinced y'all over there at Pastelle Studios are Filipino

I SEE WHAT YOU DID THERE! :wink:
But yeah. PASTELLE STUDIOS ARE PINOY!

Ako ti tenten. joke lang. hahaha.
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

silversporksama
Regular
Completed: Senpai WataMite, Last Couple Minutes
Organization: Tokkimeki
Tumblr: Tokkimeki
Deviantart: Tokkimeki
itch: tokkimeki

#17 Post by silversporksama »

[IMPORTANT UPDATE]

Small identity dilemma here, guys! As I encode some of the stuff written down, I've come to realize that all the changes made to the original idea (I think I mentioned in a previous post that this idea is pretty old...?) have caused older concepts to fade out a bit. Maybe more than a bit.

Needless to say, we might need to change the the title.

Fireworks will still be relevant somehow, but that's far too many sparks than we're aiming for! Hopefully we can settle on a new title ASAP, but for now, I'll be updating the main post with more details and recent progress... in a bit.

(If you guys might have any ideas for a new title, that would be great!)

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#18 Post by Weenily »

Promises Between Us
or Bonds Between Us HONESTLY T HIS IS JUST A PUN ON BITUINS NAME LMAO

Good luck with the story and the title!
BABY EMANUEL IS TOO PRECIOUS BY E. HE S SO CUTE IN THE DRAWING. also!! the twintails on that chibi are so cute.
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

silversporksama
Regular

#19 Post by silversporksama »

UPDATED THE MAIN POST A BIT please accept this quick doodle of these kids as a gift
(L->R: "IM GOING TO PICK A FIGHT WITH THAT MAK-MAK. TCH." "BITUIN NO THAT'S BAD" "WIN PLEASE CALM DOWN FIRST")
Weenily wrote:Promises Between Us

Good luck with the story and the title!
BABY EMANUEL IS TOO PRECIOUS BY E. HE S SO CUTE IN THE DRAWING. also!! the twintails on that chibi are so cute.
THOSE ARE REALLY GOOD THOUGH TBH,
and thank you so much aaaaaaaa twintails-girl is actually present-day Bituin!!
(Please don't ask why she's so pale she explains it herself ingame shhhhh shhh)

keelan

#20 Post by keelan »

I LIKE THEEESE. If you put 'between' at the front, like 'Between Promises/Bonds...' wordplay dials up by 100% xd

I dunno if we're talking about 'sparkler' amount of sparks or 'static,' but the ones Weenily suggested are a+. I'd nominate something that's still related to sparks, but I personally like the promises one plus, puns

And eyyy, the new descriptions are really swell! I like how you put what they smell like; funnily, they explain the character to me better than everything else :p Mak-mak is def my aesthetic though

Bituin's super cute! The rest of the kids also have good designs: Mikel's pretty i think that's mikel?, Emanuel looks like a cinnamon roll, and Mak-mak definitely has a punchable face (go get 'im, win). I'm light-skinned myself, pale enough that some people think I'm Chinese (my last name doesn't help), so I'm digging Bituin :D

Good work! Keep it up!

(oh yes, and this is off-topic, but you asked so...here you go. there isn't that much filipino culture, but it's still a nice game. it's funny that it's sorta similar to this one xP)

silversporksama
Regular

#21 Post by silversporksama »

keelan wrote:
I LIKE THEEESE. If you put 'between' at the front, like 'Between Promises/Bonds...' wordplay dials up by 100% xd

I dunno if we're talking about 'sparkler' amount of sparks or 'static,' but the ones Weenily suggested are a+. I'd nominate something that's still related to sparks, but I personally like the promises one plus, puns

And eyyy, the new descriptions are really swell! I like how you put what they smell like; funnily, they explain the character to me better than everything else :p Mak-mak is def my aesthetic though

Bituin's super cute! The rest of the kids also have good designs: Mikel's pretty i think that's mikel?, Emanuel looks like a cinnamon roll, and Mak-mak definitely has a punchable face (go get 'im, win). I'm light-skinned myself, pale enough that some people think I'm Chinese (my last name doesn't help), so I'm digging Bituin :D

Good work! Keep it up!

(oh yes, and this is off-topic, but you asked so...here you go. there isn't that much filipino culture, but it's still a nice game. it's funny that it's sorta similar to this one xP)
YOU'RE RIGHT OH GODS these are really good puns though like not the super corny kind like i really think it would work,,, One thing that popped into head was "what if we make it a subtitle to something like Sparks" but man thats the weird cheesy side of my naming sense working. I was even thinking "how about we add to that, maybe.... between promises, long forgotten." but its 1AM here and I just finished putting together a plate so my grammar just doesnt feel right

I have a weird thing for describing things unusually like (we have so many things to sense and exeprience waaaah why limit it to visuals and directly stated bacground/personality all the time?!) that hehe glad ya liked it though~ I have to be really vague/creative with descriptions so I don't spill anything about their present-day selves :< You ought to know how prone I am to spilling my own game secrets

Wait 'till you see them all when they're older I swear I had trouble trying to make them unique lookin kids so a big chunk of the effort is going to the present-day designs. Kyuu (the artist in charge of sprites for this project~) is doing a great job puttin them together so far *^* Wish I could keep up to that work pace waaaaah
Also bluhhhh I get that, too. People don't believe me when I say I'm from a place that's full of wide open fields out in the countryside at all! Especially since I speak English so much when people from my province are stereotyped as "really bad at speaking english" @____@ do expect a ramble on that from someone ingame, it's pretty irritating to deal with ahahaha;;; A lot of the material I'm dealing with is built on personal observation as opposed to research;;;

laspis
Completed: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=31016

#22 Post by laspis »

Philippines? Hell yeah I'm playing this game.
Follow me on twitter to see my game progresses: @karita_solo
My tumblr: karita-01

FonaCall
Regular
Projects: Bahay Kubo, Tower of Saviors Cries of Soul
Organization: Black Eared Games
Tumblr: blackearedgames
Deviantart: fonacall
Soundcloud: fona-call

#23 Post by FonaCall »

Hnnnnngggghhhhh...

Definitely watching out for this one.

Hindi talaga ako mahilig sa mga teleserye, but I could get into it if I find it interesting (or watch a few episodes...)
(I'm not really one for teleseryes, but I could get into it if I find it interesting (or watch a few episodes...))

- Piet

Also watching out for this. Would like to write Philippine-based story too, this can make good inspiration.

- Shin
SO MANY GAMES, SO LITTLE TIME!!!

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Brainstorming for the following:
My Seven Deadly Friends | the rest of the ideas

Pick_One
Regular

#24 Post by Pick_One »

Yay, looking forward to knowing more about whatever part of your culture. ^^ Youth culture sounds interesting! Anything about the life you have there would be great to read about!

I like that Bituin at first appears to be quiet and like a pushover, but she got strength to stick to her beliefs. :)

Lol. Makisig sounds kinda stuffy with the way he smells lol. Randomly, an image came to my mind, if he's still a bully, I picture him with a cane and yelling at people. XD

lol. I like these descriptions of how they smell like. I always thought you could use your other senses to give description, including characters. Nicely done!

Aww...Emanuel looks cute. Bituin looks cute too. :) Aww... everybody is getting along. lol. In general, the art is cute. X)

FonaCall
Regular

#25 Post by FonaCall »

Pick_One wrote: lol. I like these descriptions of how they smell like. I always thought you could use your other senses to give description, including characters. Nicely done!
I can't help but comment... Sorry if you wouldn't like me butting in here, silversporksama. (Also, I realized that I haven't subscribed to the topic yet...)

Considering that this is set in the Philippines, it would make sense that part of descriptions for people, places, and things would involve smell. Smell is a pretty important thing to Filipinos, and there are a LOT of words for the different kinds of smells one might encounter. For example, there's a word to describe the smell of fish, and there's also a word to describe the strong smell of flowers. Heck, there's also a word to describe the smell you smell when it just rained and it's hot and the water evaporates from the pavement in a really awkward and nauseous way. You don't just say something smells good or bad (in Filipino anyway), there has to be something specific. If there are no specific words (or it's just outta the vocabulary), comparisons of smell to other objects are also acceptable.

- Piet

For those who are freelance VN staff and also for those who are VN team leaders, please read this. Inform yourselves. Thank you.

Status: More or less busy with IRL work and finishing a game in time for Halloween Jam in itch.io

Pick_One
Regular

#26 Post by Pick_One »

FonaCall wrote:
Pick_One wrote: lol. I like these descriptions of how they smell like. I always thought you could use your other senses to give description, including characters. Nicely done!
I can't help but comment... Sorry if you wouldn't like me butting in here, silversporksama. (Also, I realized that I haven't subscribed to the topic yet...)

Considering that this is set in the Philippines, it would make sense that part of descriptions for people, places, and things would involve smell. Smell is a pretty important thing to Filipinos, and there are a LOT of words for the different kinds of smells one might encounter. For example, there's a word to describe the smell of fish, and there's also a word to describe the strong smell of flowers. Heck, there's also a word to describe the smell you smell when it just rained and it's hot and the water evaporates from the pavement in a really awkward and nauseous way. You don't just say something smells good or bad (in Filipino anyway), there has to be something specific. If there are no specific words (or it's just outta the vocabulary), comparisons of smell to other objects are also acceptable.

- Piet
That's very interesting, thanks for letting me know! I know there are languages that have more sensory words and more words that describe a particular sort of feeling/situation/mood than the English language. I once read something in a textbook about a particular indigenous tribe that has hundreds or thousands of words for describing different type of rain and snow. Unfortunately, I read that long ago and I'm not a linguist so I can't remember exact details nor about the complete accuracy of information. ^^; Anyways, this sort of information is very interesting to me. This information about the language definitely gives me a small idea about the culture and how Filipinos might possibly see and think about certain things/concepts. :) Random note, I didn't know what was a balikbayan box until now, when I read it in the character description then made a quick google of the word. ^^ Looking forward to seeing the Philippines through Bituin's eyes.

maedinn
Projects: [WIP] Keeper of the Jewels
Organization: Sakura Tower Studio
Tumblr: maedinn
itch: sakuratower

#27 Post by maedinn »

[insert squealing]

Okay, really interested and excited about this!

silversporksama
Regular

#28 Post by silversporksama »

Hi everyone, thank you all for the support! I've got some good news and bad news to share:

Due to some circumstances, we will not be able to finish the game by the end of NaNoRenO. I think it's evident that progress has been rather sluggish, and I apologize for that. I've made a big mistake in pitching the idea at a stressful time for me (preliminary exams, holy week responsibilities, unforeseen dark personal times...) so I have been unable to coordinate with the others in the team, as well as do all the proper work needed.

The good news, however, is... rest assured, SilverSpork Productions will push to finish this project (unlike the many we have scrapped along the way) and the story and backgrounds are pretty much complete. It's all just a matter of coordinating and properly putting everything in together.

I'm still uncertain as to whether or not I'll make a new topic in the WIP category, as progress is definitely much too sluggish to regularly update on, but I'll try to keep posted! @_@

I'll finish up a bit of school work and I'll post one last update here before closing the thread, though, just in case any of you still want to keep an eye on this project.

Many apologies for this but also, once again, thank you all for your kind support for this project.

FonaCall
Regular

#29 Post by FonaCall »

Sorta saw that coming... But we look forward to seeing the game completed anyway.

Good luck with the important stuff!

Pick_One
Regular

#30 Post by Pick_One »

It's fine. ^^ For me, I see the purpose of NaNoRenO as just making something and doing your honest best for it. It could be seen as a learning experience too. Maybe it's better to wait until there's nothing else you need to worry about or when those responsibilities become more manageable, then you could post in the WIP section? :) A clearer mind can help both the game and your responsibilities. ^^ And I think you should do whatever you can on your own steady pace. Thanks for updating on the status of the game. I hope you are doing well and good luck on whatever you got to do. ^_^