2 Minutes for Roughing [Otome, Sports] [NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
yoshibb
Veteran

2 Minutes for Roughing [Otome, Sports] [NaNo16]

#1 Post by yoshibb »

I decided to work on my second NanoReno project. I had so much fun making Lost Heroes last year, I couldn't help but join up again. At this point, this is a solo project. I will be doing all the art, writing, and coding for the game.

I decided to go with a theme close to my heart this year. I love hockey. I've watched and played it since I was little, so I figured making a visual novel about dek hockey/street hockey would be interesting. I'll add in a bit of my own personal experiences along with some otome flavor and general silliness. This year, there will be three romanceable guys. It will be my first game with multiple romances, but I'm coming in with a lot more experience, so I'm hoping I can do it.

Synopsis

Paige loves hockey. She's studied and played on and off the ice for as long as she can remember. Her knowledge and toughness are top notch. While she's never been gifted in natural skill, she's one of the best when it comes to adapting to opponents and teammates. There's only one problem, her temper. Paige has racked up innumerous suspensions and even been kicked off teams for her legendary bouts of rage.

However, she finally feels like she has her temper under wraps and she's ready to give her favorite sport another go. Her brother has agreed to bring her to practice with his dek hockey team to see if she's ready to handle competition once again. First step, making sure she can get along with her new teammates!

Characters

Defender - 27 yrs old
Strengths - Knowledge of the sport, teamwork, physical toughness
Weaknesses - Shooting, speed, short temper

Paige knows she'll never be able to light up a scoreboard, so she does her best work in the background and keep her team from breaking under the pressure. Unfortunately, she doesn't deal well with insults, especially when they are aimed at her teammates.

Winger - 29 yrs old
Strengths - Shooting, ball control, experience
Weaknesses - Passing, defense, confidence issues

Colt has the most experience in hockey out of everyone, playing from almost the time since he learned how to walk. He's naturally gifted in offense along with towering over most of the other playes. He's also a bit of a flirt and will be the first to compliment Paige in anything she does. However, he's strangely easy to frazzle on and outside the rink, and he's always been a bit of a ball hog.

Defender - 27 yrs old
Strengths - Toughness, power, and endurance
Weaknesses - Teamwork, knowledge of the sport, ego

Despite his shorter stature, Blake has no issues knocking his opponents out of the way and playing long periods. However, he is notoriously hard to work with thanks to his abrasive personality and undisciplined style. Paige is the first person to accept working with him as a defensive partner without incentive.

Goaltender - 26 yrs old
Strengths - Flexibility, Reflexes, and unflappable composure
Weaknesses - Communication, toughness, lack of a will to win

Jordan has only been playing goalie for a few years, but he is a natural at the position and one of his team's few bright spots in games. Unfortunately, he's also incredibly shy and blunt when he does choose to speak, so his defenders don't know how to best help him in the midst of a game. He enjoys playing with Paige because he never has to tell her where she needs to be.

Center - 31 yrs old
Strengths - Passing, leadership, ball control
Weaknesses - Shooting and toughness

Paige's brother, Ethan, is the likely the best all around player on his team. While not super talented in any one aspect, he rarely misses a set up and he's always the first back to help cover defensively. Even his weakest skills are better than most. He always looks out for Paige, dealing with and covering for her when she loses her temper.

Winger - 31 yrs old
Strengths - Shooting, screening/deflections, speed
Weaknesses - Defense, power, discipline

Leah's height makes her perfect for standing in front the goalie and blocking their view, as well as deflecting shots to make them harder to save. However, she often moves on first instinct instead of analyzing the situation, which can get her in trouble outside the rink as well. She is Ethan's long time girlfriend.

Plan

The game will have 6 sprites, 4 CGs, 7 backgrounds and ~ 20 - 30k words. Right now, I'm thinking there will be 7 total endings (two for each guy and one normal end). This may be adjusted if I have extra time, but this is my plan for now.

Writing/Coding - 90%
CGs - 70%
Sprites - 100%
Backgrounds - 90%
GUI - 100%

Questions

1. Which character are you most interested in and why?
2. How do you feel about the sports theme in general?
3. How much time do you think I should spend explaining the rules of hockey?

Thanks for checking out my game!
Last edited by yoshibb on Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:53 am, edited 9 times in total.

Amy_oai
Regular
Tumblr: obsessionaboutillusions

Re: 2 Minutes for Roughing [Otome, Sports] [NaNo16]

#2 Post by Amy_oai »

a sports otome!! This sounds really amazing!

I gotta say, I love both the girls! They sound like amazing characters already. Of the guys, I really like Jordan and Blake :)

I love sports anime, and I think it could go well in the otome genre as well.

I don't think it matters much, unless you're planning on doing an infodump for one bit of the game. Either way, 'try to stick with the basic rules' seems like it could be enough.

I don't know if you might have read the webcomic "Check, please!" (its about icehockey and still fairly short), but they do small bits of info at a time and keep it light hearted with a few jokes in there. Its informational and fun.

Good luck with your game! <3
Image Image Image Image

yoshibb
Veteran

#3 Post by yoshibb »

Amy_oai wrote:a sports otome!! This sounds really amazing!

I gotta say, I love both the girls! They sound like amazing characters already. Of the guys, I really like Jordan and Blake :)

I love sports anime, and I think it could go well in the otome genre as well.

I don't think it matters much, unless you're planning on doing an infodump for one bit of the game. Either way, 'try to stick with the basic rules' seems like it could be enough.

I don't know if you might have read the webcomic "Check, please!" (its about icehockey and still fairly short), but they do small bits of info at a time and keep it light hearted with a few jokes in there. Its informational and fun.

Good luck with your game! <3
Thanks for the webcomic suggestion. I've never heard of it so I will definitely check it out!

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#4 Post by mikey »

yoshibb wrote: 1. Which character are you most interested in and why?
1. Ethan, I love an allrounder that keeps tabs on everything
2. Obviously, I love it. Any kind of hockey.
3. I'd say explain more rather than less - especially if you plan on telling a story within a game, it may pay off to let people learn the rules so the characters' personalities can be put on display in the plays they make - without knowing timekeeping, offside or icing that may be difficult. On the other hand a timeout or a delayed penalty with an extra attacker can be explained upon the first time they happen because they're like special situations.

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#5 Post by KittyKatStar »

I have a huge weakness for shy (but blunt) guys... so Jordon <3
LOVE IT. I swear we need more otome games with sports where the *MC* is the player, and not the manager, or some supporting role for a sport.
Not sure if you watched Haikyuu? It's all about volleyball. But it explains enough that you can understand the terms related to the player's personality. i.e. the hot-headed guy being good at attacking, or the stoic guy being a good blocker. One way you can explain it is by:

1) have a newb watch the game and ask for explanations

2) keep the dialogue natural (like how hockey players talk since they'd know their stuff) but have a dictionary available - like how Hakuouki did with its terms. If you didn't know it, you could click/select the word and a little blurb would pop up.

In Haikyuu they explain a term or play method, and then they use it again (without explaining) during an important plot point or character development. i.e. characters getting better at serving the ball. Since now that you know the difference in serves, you can tell when a player uses a highly advanced serve. (Is the player gaining confidence? Did he try something outside of his skillset? Was it a sneak surprise attack? I love it!)

I loved your Nano last year >w< So good luck on this one too!

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#6 Post by MimirollCookie »

Sports otome? Interesting!
Good luck!

Eevee.avg

#7 Post by Eevee.avg »

Umm probably Paige and Colt so far!

Honestly im not too interested in sports irl... but the idea of a sports themed otome sounds fun

Not too much honestly... it would get a little boring/tiring to read that much about it

yoshibb
Veteran

#8 Post by yoshibb »

mikey wrote: 1. Ethan, I love an allrounder that keeps tabs on everything
2. Obviously, I love it. Any kind of hockey.
3. I'd say explain more rather than less - especially if you plan on telling a story within a game, it may pay off to let people learn the rules so the characters' personalities can be put on display in the plays they make - without knowing timekeeping, offside or icing that may be difficult. On the other hand a timeout or a delayed penalty with an extra attacker can be explained upon the first time they happen because they're like special situations.
Those are my favorite players too! I'm not gonna lie, I did model Ethan's skill set mostly after my all time favorite ice hockey player. Luckily, dek hockey can be a little bit simpler when it comes to the rules, but there is still most of the regular rules of hockey in place. I will definitely keep your suggestions in mind, since I am planning on there being a decisions to be made in an actual hockey game.
KittyKatStar wrote:1. Which character are you most interested in and why?
I have a huge weakness for shy (but blunt) guys... so Jordon <3
LOVE IT. I swear we need more otome games with sports where the *MC* is the player, and not the manager, or some supporting role for a sport.
Not sure if you watched Haikyuu? It's all about volleyball. But it explains enough that you can understand the terms related to the player's personality. i.e. the hot-headed guy being good at attacking, or the stoic guy being a good blocker. One way you can explain it is by:

1) have a newb watch the game and ask for explanations

2) keep the dialogue natural (like how hockey players talk since they'd know their stuff) but have a dictionary available - like how Hakuouki did with its terms. If you didn't know it, you could click/select the word and a little blurb would pop up.

In Haikyuu they explain a term or play method, and then they use it again (without explaining) during an important plot point or character development. i.e. characters getting better at serving the ball. Since now that you know the difference in serves, you can tell when a player uses a highly advanced serve. (Is the player gaining confidence? Did he try something outside of his skillset? Was it a sneak surprise attack? I love it!)

I loved your Nano last year >w< So good luck on this one too!
I'm glad your so interested in it! You totally got my addicted to Haikyuu. I saw it on your twitter feed, and I decided to watch it for some ideas and now I can't get enough of it. I'm definitely taking into consideration how they explain the rules and keep the story flowing at the same time. I really think they do it perfectly, since I wasn't even interested in volleyball and now I kind of want to watch the real sport in the olympics >.>

Thanks for the encouragement! I will do my best!
MimirollCookie wrote:Sports otome? Interesting!
Good luck!
Thank you! Good luck on your project as well :)
Eevee.avg wrote:1. Which character are you most interested in and why?
Umm probably Paige and Colt so far!

Honestly im not too interested in sports irl... but the idea of a sports themed otome sounds fun

Not too much honestly... it would get a little boring/tiring to read that much about it
I'm definitely going to work to make it as simple as possible. I don't want to do any info dumping. I appreciate your input though. I know not everyone is a sports fan so I want to make sure this game will appeal to both sports fans and non sports fans.

I spent today working on sprites and I'm almost finished with Paige's and Blake's. I will update their previews as soon as I'm finished!

Ryuushiro
Regular
Completed: Artist for "Maid With Perfection", Artist for "Love and Romance: a study of intimacy", art for "Sleepier & Sleepier", Backgrounds for "Panzer Hearts", Sketch backgrounds for "Caramel Mokaccino DEMO
Projects: "Hunting Fable"
Tumblr: wafflemeido
Deviantart: WaffleMeido

#9 Post by Ryuushiro »

Yesss! Yoshibb, I hope you know how much I love your writing and how excited I am for this! Loved Lost Heroes, loved Divide demo (so excited for the full game, everyone should check it out! ;0; ) I'm sure I'll love this as well ;0;/

I really loved Paige! I adore how your Main Characters are usually strong willed girls. While I'm usually nothing like them (I'm more like the 'very shy and nervous girl' cliché >_> ) I always feel so empowered playing as them, It's a great feeling.
Strong girls as main characters is what I'm here for - 3 - Other then Paige, I'm really interested in Blake. He seems like the type of character that is hard to write, because a character with a big ego can either become endearing or really annoying, so I'm excited to see how you'll write him!

I'm gonna be honest here, I'm not athetic at all and I've never even watched a sports anime. It's not something I search for. But whenever I stumble upon a good sports movie, series or game, I can be able to enjoy it just as I would enjoy any other genre!
So while it's not something I'm used to, I think otome games are all about variety! I'm excited to see sports here!!!

I'm a complete noob on hockey ;3; I don't know pretty much anything about it. But if you can explain at least what you feel is necessary to make the plot make sense, that's already really great!
It would be awesome to have so some sort of in game menu with a 'library' of rules, but I'm sure that would take a lot of time and would be a lot of work @_@

As always, I wish you the bestest of luck! I'm gonna be looking forward to play this! *^*

VISIT MY WEBSITE FOR COMMISSIONS: { HERE }
DeviantartPatreon

yoshibb
Veteran

#10 Post by yoshibb »

Ryuushiro wrote:Yesss! Yoshibb, I hope you know how much I love your writing and how excited I am for this! Loved Lost Heroes, loved Divide demo (so excited for the full game, everyone should check it out! ;0; ) I'm sure I'll love this as well ;0;/

I really loved Paige! I adore how your Main Characters are usually strong willed girls. While I'm usually nothing like them (I'm more like the 'very shy and nervous girl' cliché >_> ) I always feel so empowered playing as them, It's a great feeling.
Strong girls as main characters is what I'm here for - 3 - Other then Paige, I'm really interested in Blake. He seems like the type of character that is hard to write, because a character with a big ego can either become endearing or really annoying, so I'm excited to see how you'll write him!

I'm gonna be honest here, I'm not athetic at all and I've never even watched a sports anime. It's not something I search for. But whenever I stumble upon a good sports movie, series or game, I can be able to enjoy it just as I would enjoy any other genre!
So while it's not something I'm used to, I think otome games are all about variety! I'm excited to see sports here!!!

I'm a complete noob on hockey ;3; I don't know pretty much anything about it. But if you can explain at least what you feel is necessary to make the plot make sense, that's already really great!
It would be awesome to have so some sort of in game menu with a 'library' of rules, but I'm sure that would take a lot of time and would be a lot of work @_@

As always, I wish you the bestest of luck! I'm gonna be looking forward to play this! *^*
Thank you, it makes me happy to know you enjoy my games. I'm glad that you like my main characters! And I'm super shy in real life too so I know the feeling. I'll definitely look into making some sort of library of terms for people who'd like to see the definitions.

I finished Blake and Paige's sprites yesterday and updated the previews in the OP. Jordan and Colt are up next!

Image Image

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

#11 Post by Harliqueen »

Jordan, probably, he sounds a bit like me :D

I think it's something really different, and I'm really excited to see how you incorporate it into a VN!

I have to admit, I don't really know anything about hockey (I had to look up what dek hockey meant!) :D But a brief explanation should do, anymore than that then I think people could look it up themselves. I sure would.

This looks so good, and the range of characters is amazing :D Good luck with it, though I'm sure you won't need it, you always do amazingly well!
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

yoshibb
Veteran

#12 Post by yoshibb »

Harliqueen wrote:1. Which character are you most interested in and why?
Jordan, probably, he sounds a bit like me :D

I think it's something really different, and I'm really excited to see how you incorporate it into a VN!

I have to admit, I don't really know anything about hockey (I had to look up what dek hockey meant!) :D But a brief explanation should do, anymore than that then I think people could look it up themselves. I sure would.

This looks so good, and the range of characters is amazing :D Good luck with it, though I'm sure you won't need it, you always do amazingly well!
Thank you, I'll take all the luck I can get though :)

Just finished Jordan's sprite. Colt's is up next. Jordan also needs to have a sprite with goalie equipment which should be complicated fun.

I appreciate the feedback from everyone!

yoshibb
Veteran

#13 Post by yoshibb »

Colt is now finished. Lastly are Ethan and Leah, then I will likely move onto backgrounds.

yoshibb
Veteran

#14 Post by yoshibb »

Paige's brother Ethan is done. Leah is the last sprite and then I will start on backgrounds

yoshibb
Veteran

#15 Post by yoshibb »

Alright, basic sprites are all finished. I'm planning to add in additional outfits for the hockey scenes, but for now I'm going to start on backgrounds, so I can start scripting and coding. Here's Leah's sprite.