2 Minutes for Roughing [Otome, Sports] [NaNo16]

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

Re: 2 Minutes for Roughing [Otome, Sports] [NaNo16]

#16 Post by Alcor »

Ahhh, this is looking great! :D

1. Which character are you most interested in and why?
Paige and Blake, probably! Paige sounds like a really relatable character, and I'm loving her design. I also really, really enjoy the idea of a strong MC. Blake would probably be my romanceable-of-choice; I have a soft spot for characters with abrasive personalities and he looks cute. <3

2. How do you feel about the sports theme in general?
Although I am practically clueless about all traditional sports, I have some knowledge about the eSports scene and I think they work quite similarly. Struggling with personal issues (pride, etc.) and teamwork is a very real thing, and I'm looking forward to how this team shapes up together.

3. How much time do you think I should spend explaining the rules of hockey?
Hmmm, I'm not all that interested in the details of playing hockey, but I would like to get a general idea of how the sport is played. I feel like you could consider adding a rules section in an Extras screen or something for those who are interested in learning more.

Good luck with your project, and highfive from another solo NaNoer!

KittyKatStar
Veteran

#17 Post by KittyKatStar »

Wow, congrats on all the sprites! Keep it up /o/

yoshibb
Veteran

#18 Post by yoshibb »

ALCOR_etc wrote:Ahhh, this is looking great! :D

Paige and Blake, probably! Paige sounds like a really relatable character, and I'm loving her design. I also really, really enjoy the idea of a strong MC. Blake would probably be my romanceable-of-choice; I have a soft spot for characters with abrasive personalities and he looks cute. <3

Although I am practically clueless about all traditional sports, I have some knowledge about the eSports scene and I think they work quite similarly. Struggling with personal issues (pride, etc.) and teamwork is a very real thing, and I'm looking forward to how this team shapes up together.

Hmmm, I'm not all that interested in the details of playing hockey, but I would like to get a general idea of how the sport is played. I feel like you could consider adding a rules section in an Extras screen or something for those who are interested in learning more.

Good luck with your project, and highfive from another solo NaNoer!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to writing the banter between Blake and Paige. I'm also a big fan of his personality type and I'm happy to see you like the design of both characters! I'll also be keeping up with both of your projects. Good luck to you, too!
KittyKatStar wrote:Wow, congrats on all the sprites! Keep it up /o/
Thank you! I always love designing and creating characters. The backgrounds are the hardest for me.

Speaking of which, here are two previews of the backgrounds I've done so far. The one view from the porch took me a bit longer than expected, but I'm still mostly on track.

Image Image

Thank you for everyone's continued support!

yoshibb
Veteran

#19 Post by yoshibb »

Just another quick update. I finished the hockey rink background and I've been working on expressions since yesterday. I'm hoping to be able to start scripting soon.

Dreamgazer
Veteran
Completed: Death Room; Don't Take This Risk; War: 13th Day; War Specials
Projects: Beauty and the War (X Playing Pieces)
Organization: Poison Apple Tales
Tumblr: poisonappletales
Deviantart: PoisonAppleTales

#20 Post by Dreamgazer »

Hmm...it's a tough choice between Paige and Colt, but I'll go with Paige. She's not only the main heroine, but she seems likable. I'm curious to know how her relationship with her brother will play into her character.

I'm curious enough about it. I can't say I've ever been into sports, but as long as the story's good and I understand what's going on, it's not a problem for me,

Just long enough so that I understand what's happening but without overwhelming me. I'm sure you know how to find the perfect middle ground.

The game's looking great so far. Good luck, yoshibb!

On a side note, I love the bgs so far. Great work!

yoshibb
Veteran

#21 Post by yoshibb »

Dreamgazer wrote:1. Which character are you most interested in and why?
Hmm...it's a tough choice between Paige and Colt, but I'll go with Paige. She's not only the main heroine, but she seems likable. I'm curious to know how her relationship with her brother will play into her character.

I'm curious enough about it. I can't say I've ever been into sports, but as long as the story's good and I understand what's going on, it's not a problem for me,

Just long enough so that I understand what's happening but without overwhelming me. I'm sure you know how to find the perfect middle ground.

The game's looking great so far. Good luck, yoshibb!

On a side note, I love the bgs so far. Great work!
Thanks! I have a younger brother myself but I'm hoping I can make the sibling relationship believable. I always enjoy fiction with a good brother/sister relationship.

Thank you for the compliment on the BGs. I've been really trying to improve with them.

Update

Ok so, I have some bad news. A few days ago, I reset my computer and despite closing all my programs and saving, apparently things weren't completely saved yet. As a result, three of my files got corrupted. One was the outline I had and the other was the renpy script. So basically, I've needed to start the coding and the writing all over again.

What does this mean? Well, I'm hoping I can still finish by the end of the first week in April. I've spent the whole weekend rewriting and I should be caught up to where I was by tonight. Plus, I still have all the art files, thankfully I didn't lose any of those.

However, this week wasn't a total wash. I did manage to do all the expressions for every character and I did the lineart for another BG. These are the alternate outfits of Blake's casual and Jordan in his goalie equipment.

ImageImage

It might take a bit longer than a month, but I'm not giving up. Thanks for everyone's support!

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#22 Post by MimirollCookie »

yoshibb wrote:
Update

Ok so, I have some bad news. A few days ago, I reset my computer and despite closing all my programs and saving, apparently things weren't completely saved yet. As a result, three of my files got corrupted. One was the outline I had and the other was the renpy script. So basically, I've needed to start the coding and the writing all over again.

What does this mean? Well, I'm hoping I can still finish by the end of the first week in April. I've spent the whole weekend rewriting and I should be caught up to where I was by tonight. Plus, I still have all the art files, thankfully I didn't lose any of those.

However, this week wasn't a total wash. I did manage to do all the expressions for every character and I did the lineart for another BG. These are the alternate outfits of Blake's casual and Jordan in his goalie equipment.

ImageImage

It might take a bit longer than a month, but I'm not giving up. Thanks for everyone's support!
HOLY SMOKES! Are you alright? :oops: You can do it! I deleted half of Sweet and Spices' script but decided not to share it. XD
Anyway, what I'm trying to imply is don't give up!!! :D

-Blake... No reason. :3
-Umm.... Not a real fan of sports but I play a few... (Badminton, Vball, etc.) But this is way too cool!! Like "Oooh! Someone's making a Sports Otome! While my game, Sweet and Spices is way too mainstream!!" XD I'm being rude to myself. :oops:
- 1-2 minutes please... I hate long explanations :oops:

You will survive!! XD
"If they can do it, you can do it too! make them do it. They can do it, right?" :lol:
Getting a new laptop. Hopefully going back to VN making! (BWAHAHA)

yoshibb
Veteran

#23 Post by yoshibb »

MimirollCookie wrote:
HOLY SMOKES! Are you alright? :oops: You can do it! I deleted half of Sweet and Spices' script but decided not to share it. XD
Anyway, what I'm trying to imply is don't give up!!! :D

-Blake... No reason. :3
-Umm.... Not a real fan of sports but I play a few... (Badminton, Vball, etc.) But this is way too cool!! Like "Oooh! Someone's making a Sports Otome! While my game, Sweet and Spices is way too mainstream!!" XD I'm being rude to myself. :oops:
- 1-2 minutes please... I hate long explanations :oops:

You will survive!! XD
I'm glad the only one who lost a script. Computers can be so annoying sometimes. And your game sounds great as well! Any game involving food is awesome in my book lol.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Update:

I'm all caught up to where I was on the script, but I still have a long ways to go on the writing side. However, I'm planning to do a good chunk of writing on Monday since I'll be in the car for 9 hours on a roadtrip, so that should help.

Also, here's a preview of the sports bar background. Hope it looks alright. I'm not the best at backgrounds, especially ones with architecture in them :/

For now, I'll be working on more backgrounds (I have another 3, maybe 4 to do) then it'll be scripting/coding and lastly CGs.

yoshibb
Veteran

#24 Post by yoshibb »

I wanted to give an update for anyone still following the project. My current plan is to finish the main route by April 8th so I have something finished for nano. After that, I want to write the epilogues which are essentially dates with each of the guys with more detailed backgrounds about them and Paige. Each of them will have their own CGs, so I just didn't have the time to finish by the deadline.

Here's some previews of the backgrounds I did (beach bg will appear in the epilogues)

At one point, Paige, Blake, Jordan, and Colt carpool to the game together, so I decided to do variant CGs for that scene. Here's a preview of them:

As always, I really appreciate feedback. It's nice to know if people are interested in the project. It's great encouragement for me to keep working.