The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] Released!!

NaNoRenO is an event where creators make a game from scratch during the month of March.
Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)
Projects: The Curse of Creek Edge
Organization: Seraphinite
Tumblr: seraphinitegames
Deviantart: SeraphiniteGames
itch: seraphinite

The Lady's Choice-NaNo'16 [Romance/Regency] Released!!

#1 Post by Harliqueen »

Scandal. Gossip. Mismatches.
What will fuel this Season's gossip? And will you be able to keep yourself from being burned by it?

As the daughter of a Viscount, and heiress to a small fortune, you are invited back into society even after years of seclusion at your family's estate.
The upcoming Season is to be spent in Bath, your childhood friend having finally convinced you into it, and only the cream of society will be there. But the fickle and difficult dance that is weaving through society can be a tricky thing to remember, especially when they thrive on any small misstep you may make.

But which partner is selected to help guide you through the maze of the upper classes is always left down to The Lady's Choice.
The Lady's Choice is a light visual novel set in Regency times and will be route based (something I have been wanting to try for a while!).

I'm doing this because I wanted to try out something really romance focused and a bit fun. Kind of hoping to give the feel of a regency romance novel, but an interactive one!

Though it is a historical visual novel, it's not going to be completely accurate (for example, they didn't really have a Season in Bath). I have taken liberties because, well, I wanted to have fun with this rather than freak about every nuance of historical accuracy :D
The demo is now released!!

I hope everything works ok on it. I always freak out I've compiled it wrong or left something out, plus it's my first time using itch.io :)

I really hope you guys enjoy, and let me know what you think!
(Both first and surname will be changable).

The player character.
Daughter of a Viscount and heiress to a tidy fortune, it's not odd that you've been accepted back into society so easily after such a long period of time away.
But coming back into the world of the upper classes can be a bit of a shock, and how you deal with that is up to you.

Love Interests

A Viscount of Gambled Title

Lord Isaac Stanton fills the role of eligible bachelor perfectly: tall, regal, handsome, and with a title to make anyone clamber for a marriage proposal.
So why then do society shy away from him? Maybe those rumours of his fortune being spent at the card tables hold some weight after all.

A Man above his Station

Military officers are always welcomed, at least the ones born into the right families are. Captain Guy Blake had no such fortune of birth, instead having his
friend elevate him to such a position that he now mingles with the top of society- a fact neither he nor society seem to enjoy.

An Earl with a Decided Future

The Amesbury family is well respected and well known, though little has been seen of the eldest son before this season. Many credit that to his difficult relationship with his family, who have much different plans for his future than he seems to.
Other

Now a Baroness and a widower, you knew Arabella when she was only little, both running around your family's estate to your nanny's chagrin. With an enthusiasm for society and its mainy foibles, she's promised to help you re-enter the world of the upper classes.
What is there not to like about Colonel Foxley? He's pleasant in both manner and appearance, and it's not long before Arabella has an eye on him.
As Guy Blake's close friend, he's the one who got him promoted to the rank of Captain.
King George may rule England, but Lady Thomasina rules Bath. No one does anything without her say so, and society comes through her first.
Having recently lost her husband, she is on the look out for a suitable wife for her son, who has taken on his father's title as Duke.
Lady Thomasina's son (aka. Duke Creep von Creepster).
General
Planning: 100%
GUI: 95%
Common route/Prologue: 100%

Stanton's Route
Art: 100%
Writing: 100%
Music: 100%
Editing- 75%

Blake's Route
Art: 35%
Writing: 15%
Music: 7%
Editing: 0%

Amesbury's Route- On indefinite hold.
Art: 35%
Script: 0%
Music: 0%
Latest update (2nd-8th May)- viewtopic.php?f=50&t=37390&start=60#p415311
I'm gonna be honest... I'm winging it a bit this year :D I didn't have as much of a chance to plan this as I would have liked. But still, I'm excited about it!

Due to the ambitious size, I'm going to be concentrating on one route at a time. It should hopefully mean I will have at least one completed route to put out at the end of NaNo- which is my only goal at the moment :)

First up I will be doing Stanton's route, then Blake's, then finally Amesbury.

Each route will have two endings- Love and True Love. Each will be a variation on a paticular ending( mostly due to the fact of time constraints), though one has a bit extra ;) (I have an idea for 'bad' endings, but not sure about putting them in. Maybe if people are interested?)

Endings have changed (because it was bugging me until I did what I really wanted for them :D ).

It will now be:

Bad Ending (as requested!)
Love Ending 1
Love Ending 2
True Love

Love Ending 1 & 2 will be a slight variation on the same ending, so not much difference but it's just better for how I want the story to go. Which one you get will be determined by how you made an impression on society.

--

Questions

- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
- Which love interest is your favourite?
- Do you like the art style?
- Is there anything you'd like to see, or hope for from this?
Last edited by Harliqueen on Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:15 am, edited 20 times in total.
Completed: Diving in Deep/The Lady's Choice/The Crossroads
Current WIP: The Curse of Creek Edge (NaNo2020)

Hazel-Bun
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Sunrise: A Dieselpunk Fantasy & Ultramarine: A Seapunk Adventure
Projects: Thrall: A Dark Otome Visual Novel
Organization: AURELIA LEO, LLC
Tumblr: authorzknight
itch: authorzknight

Re: The Lady's Choice- NaNo2016 [Romance][Regency][GxB]

#2 Post by Hazel-Bun »

SO EXCITED FOR THIS. Comment why later!
Black bookstore owner. Diverse fiction reviewer. Bestselling romance author. Award-winning fiction editor. Quite possibly a werewolf, ask me during the next full moon.

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#3 Post by Weenily »

I LOVE HISTORICAL STORIES AND THIS LOOKS AMAZING.

Definitely! The mood is set perfectly in the first post and I look forward to the actual game!

I'M...I'M REALLY INTERESTED IN LORD ISAAC STANTON. But they all look like interesting characters!

Absolutely!! The art is gorgeous gosh I love it. Definitely perfect for this type of game.

oHH MAN I don't even know? It looks really promising. I'd like maybe an ending with Lady Arabella whether it's just friendship or something more gfhjs. Good luck accomplishing your goal! I'm interested in how different the Love and True Love endings are. I'd also like to hear what ideas you have for "bad" endings haha!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

buxton1990

#4 Post by buxton1990 »

Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
yes, I love historical themed romances
Captain Guy Blake is the one I'm most interested in right now but all sound great
its gorgeous looking forward to seeing more
I'm not sure I like the summary so far I like the idea of bad endings

looking forward to this Good Luck :)

Harliqueen
Veteran
Completed: Diving in Deep (NaNo15) The Lady's Choice(NaNo16) The Crossroads(NaNo17)

#5 Post by Harliqueen »

Thank you so much for the comments already!
Hazel-Bun wrote:SO EXCITED FOR THIS. Comment why later!
Just knowing you're excited is nice enough! :D
Weenily wrote:I LOVE HISTORICAL STORIES AND THIS LOOKS AMAZING.

Definitely! The mood is set perfectly in the first post and I look forward to the actual game!

I'M...I'M REALLY INTERESTED IN LORD ISAAC STANTON. But they all look like interesting characters!

Absolutely!! The art is gorgeous gosh I love it. Definitely perfect for this type of game.

oHH MAN I don't even know? It looks really promising. I'd like maybe an ending with Lady Arabella whether it's just friendship or something more gfhjs. Good luck accomplishing your goal! I'm interested in how different the Love and True Love endings are. I'd also like to hear what ideas you have for "bad" endings haha!
Lady Arabella will feature in all the endings, though hadn't thought about giving her her own. Maybe something to think of if I have time (which is already dwindling! :D ).

I'll be posting more about endings and my plan for them, so hope you like how they will go!
buxton1990 wrote:Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
yes, I love historical themed romances
Captain Guy Blake is the one I'm most interested in right now but all sound great
its gorgeous looking forward to seeing more
I'm not sure I like the summary so far I like the idea of bad endings

looking forward to this Good Luck :)
Seems bad endings are more popular than I thought, will definitely have to think about including them!

I'm really looking forward to writing the Captain's route, especially as there is another character in his route who I'm pretty excited and also anxious about writing! :D

--

Thank you again to everyone for commenting, it's awesome to know people are excited for this!

yoshibb
Veteran

#6 Post by yoshibb »

Yes, I like the regency theme. It gives it a bit of Pride and Prejudice vibe. I enjoy things like politics and nobility, so I'm definitely interested in this.

Tough choice, I like both Guy and Isaac. Guy seems to have more of the type of personality that I like, but I'm also interested in Isaac's background.

Yes! You have such a beautiful and realistic style. I think it's great and really fits the theme of the game.

Just want to have fun while romancing some guys, which I'm sure you'll deliver on. I enjoyed Diving in Deep last year and I can't wait to see another game by you!

Shadow Wolfwind
Regular
Projects: Comeuppance
Tumblr: chiizusando

#7 Post by Shadow Wolfwind »

Yes! I love historical romance.

- Which love interest is your favorite?
Isaac. I think he's very handsome. Plus I kind of get a Mr. Darcy vibe from his description.

Yes. It's pretty and I think it fits the story very well.

I'm curious to see how you will handle the language. They had a distinct way of talking that I think would be difficult to emulate. I also wonder if you'll follow the etiquette rules of the time.

Eevee.avg

#8 Post by Eevee.avg »

Sure!

I think i like Laurence the most

Yeah! Its fine and seems very fitting for the games theme

I usually am very interested in bad endings, so if its possible id like this game to have them

Weenily
Regular
Tumblr: Weenily

#9 Post by Weenily »

Lady Arabella will feature in all the endings, though hadn't thought about giving her her own. Maybe something to think of if I have time (which is already dwindling! :D ).

I'll be posting more about endings and my plan for them, so hope you like how they will go!
That's nice to know! Thanks for considering it. The three love interests are already interesting enough though! I look forward to your updates!
You can call me either Weenily or Gaile! They/them pronouns please and thank you.

Windchimes
Veteran
Projects: Reanimation Scheme, Emberfate: Tempest of Elements
Organization: Wind Chimes Games

#10 Post by Windchimes »

Oh man, YES. I love historical romances. Historical romance otome where I can pick a guy? YES PLEASE.

Laurence, I think. I think the description hints to him being kinda like the rebel who doesn't like going with the family plans for his future, which I totally like.

Yesss. It's perfect for the historical romance theme.

D-dare I say more guys? Hehe. xD

Anyways, this looks really awesome and I'm really excited to play it ;; Good luck! I'm sure you can finish it on time :D

nickynoton
Regular
Completed: Equilibrium
Projects: Equilibrium [nano16], Phantasm [nano17]
Tumblr: nickynoton
itch: nickynoton

#11 Post by nickynoton »

Historical romances are my weakness. So definitely yes!
Captain Guy Blake; I mean those pouting lips are killer. But all of their stories are very compelling.
The art is fantastic. It really suits the type of story it is.
Just to have fun with the romance that I know I'll enjoy and to discover the world you created. I really loved your previous game so I'm sure this one will be just as great!

Harliqueen
Veteran

#12 Post by Harliqueen »

yoshibb wrote:- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
Yes, I like the regency theme. It gives it a bit of Pride and Prejudice vibe. I enjoy things like politics and nobility, so I'm definitely interested in this.

Tough choice, I like both Guy and Isaac. Guy seems to have more of the type of personality that I like, but I'm also interested in Isaac's background.

Yes! You have such a beautiful and realistic style. I think it's great and really fits the theme of the game.

Just want to have fun while romancing some guys, which I'm sure you'll deliver on. I enjoyed Diving in Deep last year and I can't wait to see another game by you!
I have a thing for Austen books, so that's probably why it has that vibe :D (Plus I don't think anyone could write anything regency without getting that feel!).

Thank you so much for the comment :D I'm glad you liked Diving in Deep too. Weird to think it was a year ago now!
Shadow Wolfwind wrote:- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
Yes! I love historical romance.

- Which love interest is your favorite?
Isaac. I think he's very handsome. Plus I kind of get a Mr. Darcy vibe from his description.

Yes. It's pretty and I think it fits the story very well.

I'm curious to see how you will handle the language. They had a distinct way of talking that I think would be difficult to emulate. I also wonder if you'll follow the etiquette rules of the time.
I'm hoping to find a nice balance with the language. My sister doesn't like regency/Austen books specifically because of the wordy language they use :D So, I'm really hoping to find a midway point with that!
Same with the etiquette. Man, did they have a lot of rules! It's amazing they got anything done :D But some of the etiqutte rules make for really good plot points in themselves, so that will be fun to work with :) Not going to worry too much about it though, supposed to be fun after all!
Eevee.avg wrote:- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
Sure!

I think i like Laurence the most

Yeah! Its fine and seems very fitting for the games theme

I usually am very interested in bad endings, so if its possible id like this game to have them
Another vote for bad endings! Definitely gonna see if I can get them in now :D
Windchimes wrote:- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
Oh man, YES. I love historical romances. Historical romance otome where I can pick a guy? YES PLEASE.

Laurence, I think. I think the description hints to him being kinda like the rebel who doesn't like going with the family plans for his future, which I totally like.

Yesss. It's perfect for the historical romance theme.

D-dare I say more guys? Hehe. xD

Anyways, this looks really awesome and I'm really excited to play it ;; Good luck! I'm sure you can finish it on time :D
You're almost pretty spot on for Laurence, though society and his family won't really let him be a rebel! Poor guy :D

I'm glad you're excited for it, I am as well. Been waiting to start on it for months!
nickynoton wrote:- Do you think this would be something you'd be interested in?
Historical romances are my weakness. So definitely yes!
Captain Guy Blake; I mean those pouting lips are killer. But all of their stories are very compelling.
The art is fantastic. It really suits the type of story it is.
Just to have fun with the romance that I know I'll enjoy and to discover the world you created. I really loved your previous game so I'm sure this one will be just as great!
Thank you so much for playing my other game :D

I will be really having fun with weaving romance into the storylines I have for these guys.
Thank you everyone for commenting, it's really appreciated to hear people's thoughts on this!
--

Update

I've done the GUI! :D Yay! It's my least favourite part so glad to get it done so quick.

It's nothing really fancy, as I wanted to get it out of the way to concentrate on the stuff that really matters :)

There will be a CG Gallery too, but I need to fiddle with that a bit more yet.

Not sure what I'm starting on next (told you I was winging it!). Possibly might start the sprites for Stanton's route.

Alcor
Veteran
Completed: Lads in Distress (NaNo '16), misSHAPEn love! (NaNo '16)
Projects: a(t)rium
itch: cosmic-albacore

#13 Post by Alcor »

Ooooh, this is looking great! I'll be stalking following this thread and your tumblr for updates throughout the month <3

Definitely!

Lord Amesbury for sure. I'm eager to find out about this backstory, especially with his family. Plus, he's handsome~

Definitely! I think your style is perfect for a VN with this sort of historical theme. I'm looking forward to seeing what the MC looks like.

Hmmm, nothing in particular comes to mind; everything's looking awesome so far! (You're really fast with the GUI, haha, and it looks gorgeous, too!) Best of luck with your project~

Harliqueen
Veteran

#14 Post by Harliqueen »

ALCOR_etc wrote:Ooooh, this is looking great! I'll be stalking following this thread and your tumblr for updates throughout the month <3

Definitely!

Lord Amesbury for sure. I'm eager to find out about this backstory, especially with his family. Plus, he's handsome~

Definitely! I think your style is perfect for a VN with this sort of historical theme. I'm looking forward to seeing what the MC looks like.

Hmmm, nothing in particular comes to mind; everything's looking awesome so far! (You're really fast with the GUI, haha, and it looks gorgeous, too!) Best of luck with your project~
Thank you so much! :D

I'm not a fan of doing the GUI so I tend to want to get it out of the way first. Though being a bit of a perfectionist doesn't always help with that!

I'm starting the sprites today, so hopefully not too long until the MC's picture is up :)

I'm really looking forward to misSHAPEn love! Looks amazing and hilarious all at the same time :D

MimirollCookie
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Best Friends (DRAMA), Sweet and Spices (NaNo16)
Projects: Cupid's Wish, Best Friends Deux
Organization: Pastelle Studios
Deviantart: MimirollCookie

#15 Post by MimirollCookie »

GOOD LUCK WITH NaNo!